Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, wasn’t it originally supposed to end with them sitting down to have a civil discussion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Men In Black are cops though. They have cool clothes but they still shoot and beat up perps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The Men In Black are cops though. They have cool clothes but they still shoot and beat up perps.

If you just look at the first movie you can see that they were trying to do something different where they don't just run around blasting aliens but it got subsumed by Hollywood's need for shootouts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

If you just look at the first movie you can see that they were trying to do something different where they don't just run around blasting aliens but it got subsumed by Hollywood's need for shootouts.
Agent K shoots Tony Shaloub in the face. Not in self defense but because he knows it hurts and he need some info.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
MIB are worse than cops: they're ICE for Earth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MIB hate the human border patrol guys

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

MIB hate the human border patrol guys

Because they're sloppy, not because they disagree with what they are doing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Also, K constantly puts J into position he has no business being in with little to no training.

Like...he's supposed to help some squid alien give birth his first week on the job? And maybe K could have given him a little heads up that "The Noisy Cricket" is actually a massive disintegration ray?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's all part of the test. K had to dive in headfirst, he wants to see if J can do the same

Anybody can be trained to handle a specific set of situations, K won't feel comfortable retiring unless he knows his replacement can handle the unexpected

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

It's all part of the test. K had to dive in headfirst, he wants to see if J can do the same

Anybody can be trained to handle a specific set of situations, K won't feel comfortable retiring unless he knows his replacement can handle the unexpected
Gotta wonder how many potential replacements K burned through with that theory.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are there only ever twenty-six agents? Did the previous J die?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are there only ever twenty-six agents? Did the previous J die?

The movie both starts and ends with a retirement, so it's not inconceivable that they just rotate the letters as people leave.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

theironjef posted:

The movie both starts and ends with a retirement, so it's not inconceivable that they just rotate the letters as people leave.

Well K recruits J (backwards in alphabet), then J recruits L (two letters forwards), so yeah they probably rotate.

Agent M was open for either Micheal Jackson or the MIB international girl.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure it mentions this in the original movie outright and then doubles down when J is doing the same thing in the opening scenes of 2.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wiping an agent's memory after an entire career of service seems pretty drat cold. Surely a few words of brainwashing can't really substitute for 40 years of memories. I wonder what a retired agent thinks they've spent their life doing after that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Imagined posted:

Wiping an agent's memory after an entire career of service seems pretty drat cold. Surely a few words of brainwashing can't really substitute for 40 years of memories. I wonder what a retired agent thinks they've spent their life doing after that.

Being in a coma.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Imagined posted:

I vaguely recall a scene where they tell background agents to give a witness happy memories after a mind wipe. I'd assume that K had years of fond memories of working at a post office implanted when he retired.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

A nice trip to Mars, maybe?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sorbocules posted:

I vaguely recall a scene where they tell background agents to give a witness happy memories after a mind wipe. I'd assume that K had years of fond memories of working at a post office implanted when he retired.
lol no it's this:

MariusLecter posted:

Being in a coma.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sorbocules posted:

Kinda hard to gel with his cover story of being in a coma while working with the MIB.

e;
beaten cause i got up to clean something before hitting post.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Everyone talks about Will Smith in those movies but drat if Tommy Lee Jones didn't deliver an absolutely perfect performance deserving of a better script. I loved him in No Country For Old Men where he could really lean into the "authority figure that's too old and tired to deal with all this stupid poo poo" persona.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Isn't that just Tommy Lee Jones in every role he's had for at least three decades?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FFT posted:

Isn't that just Tommy Lee Jones in every role he's had for at least three decades?

Someone has forgotten Batman Forever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rockman Reserve posted:

He could not sanction Jim Carrey’s buffoonery

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure none. The guy he retires at the beginning of the first movie, D, is as old or older than Jones and implied to be another veteran of the first contact incident.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

christmas boots posted:

He could not sanction Jim Carrey’s buffoonery

He was 100% right.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jedit posted:

A lot of what appear to be landlines are actually VOIP these days. My work switched away from desk phones a year or two before COVID and now we all have numbers on a single exchange no matter where we work. The chief drawback is that if your Internet goes down you've got no way to tell ICT that there's a problem.

VOIP is OK until it isn't. POTS lines always work. I will never not have a POTS line available. The power goes out? POTS is still up. Some jackass screws up a router in Illinois? POTS is still up.

You can't kill POTS.

I use my home phone. It's a business line. It always works. Sometimes my cell gets wonky on me, but I've always got a dial tone on POTS.

When I've set up VOIP systems at work, I still always maintain 2 POTS lines. One for credit card, one for fax/voice. Not being able to process credit cards can really screw you when you have ISP problems. Of course you can store-and-forward but it doesn't necessarily work and you can lose a full day of sales.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mostlygray posted:

VOIP is OK until it isn't. POTS lines always work. I will never not have a POTS line available. The power goes out? POTS is still up. Some jackass screws up a router in Illinois? POTS is still up.

You can't kill POTS.

I use my home phone. It's a business line. It always works. Sometimes my cell gets wonky on me, but I've always got a dial tone on POTS.

When I've set up VOIP systems at work, I still always maintain 2 POTS lines. One for credit card, one for fax/voice. Not being able to process credit cards can really screw you when you have ISP problems. Of course you can store-and-forward but it doesn't necessarily work and you can lose a full day of sales.

We have zero pots lines across our enterprise. eFax beats traditional fax in every way, the one elevator we have that requires a hard line has a mobile hotspot on a UPS to emulate pots, and voice comm on a physical desk phone just isn't particularly important in 2021. ISP issues can be sidestepped by a 4g backup if uptime is that important, and pots lines are as vulnerable as internet copper or fiber to the "rear end in a top hat with a backhoe"/"truck hit a utility pole" problems.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Plus there's the already mentioned fact that it's all voip anyway very quickly after it leaves your house.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rockman Reserve posted:

And Under Siege :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Imagined posted:

Plus there's the already mentioned fact that it's all voip anyway very quickly after it leaves your house.

that's just asking for a new genre where the modern phone system breaks down because the monster breaks the internet, and then a salty group of old timers wire up their morse codes or telegrams or whatever to save the day. I'm looking forward to it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We use dial up modems for my work all the time still so we have a handful of dedicated POTS lines.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

yeah I eat rear end posted:

that's just asking for a new genre where the modern phone system breaks down because the monster breaks the internet, and then a salty group of old timers wire up their morse codes or telegrams or whatever to save the day. I'm looking forward to it.

Independence Day did this just over a quarter of a century ago. :corsair:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Breetai posted:

Independence Day did this just over a quarter of a century ago. :corsair:

True but I was picturing something more over the top/dramatic like that goofy scene in battleship.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just watched a movie called Martyr's lane and it was actually pretty good and not what I expected at all. But it also did something that bothers me in a lot of movies - characters phase in and out of existence as needed. The girl's sister is either the focus of that part of the story or she's just non-existant. Same with the dad.

I liked it but they were more focused on just getting to the ending than how cohesive the story needed to be.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 29, 2021

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

For some reason I have been binging the 'Secret Service Guy Saves President'/'Bodyguard takes on an army' movies and firstly: holy poo poo there are a lot of these!
But also a mild peeve: every single one of these movies hinges on the evil plot against the white house/london/billionaire having an inside man at work. Like its unfathomable that security could be breached without someone working from within.
Makes it a game trying to guess which one of the three extra characters introduced at the start will be the traitor.
In the end my action movie itch is mildly scratched but I have yet to meet tue schlocky dumb movie that tops The Rock.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DarkDobe posted:

For some reason I have been binging the 'Secret Service Guy Saves President'/'Bodyguard takes on an army' movies and firstly: holy poo poo there are a lot of these!
But also a mild peeve: every single one of these movies hinges on the evil plot against the white house/london/billionaire having an inside man at work. Like its unfathomable that security could be breached without someone working from within.
Makes it a game trying to guess which one of the three extra characters introduced at the start will be the traitor.
In the end my action movie itch is mildly scratched but I have yet to meet tue schlocky dumb movie that tops The Rock.

Then there's London Has Fallen in which the terrorist organization is the greatest undercover agency in the world, having infiltrated not only like every aspect of the police force, but also the Queen's guard as well as even emergency personnel. And they've reached all these positions in two years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Rock rather than Con Air?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

HopperUK posted:

The Rock rather than Con Air?
Both very fun dumb movies, but The Rock has Sean Connery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DarkDobe posted:

In Jackie Chan movies it is always the British or Hong Kong... er.