Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
what, and walk between the tram stops? what if a car ran you over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

connect the trams with a new tram in all cases, obviously

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it is, and i am not american

I'm not sure if u knew this, but there is an event that occured in 2020, and is still happening now, that caused that number to go down actually

can you guess what it was

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

unfortunately American hates wagon because they aren't four ton SUVs, so the only brands that make them now are luxury ones (bmw, audi, mb, volvo). I have a 2011 audi wagon that I bought used 7.5 years ago. In those 7.5 years I've put on 20k miles lol. It's great for MN weather, but gently caress timing chains

gently caress German timing chains you mean. My 97 Toyotas timing chain is fine!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
imagine owning a car

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have four and can agree they are one of the worst things for the world.

But also they go vroom and are fun to shift and drive and some of them can even climb over rocks which makes me feel like king caveman primate dude.

I own eight bicycles though

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

frivolously overtransported

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
continuously variable transmissions are basically magic

e: oops didn’t realize there was another page

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Magically terrible, maybe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I pay $5/month extra on my car payment specifically so I don't have to think about this poo poo. also because my Fit is a CVT and I am absolutely not going to waste like 4 years of my life on learning how to maintain that disaster of an engine. going to take my car into the shop next week for my fully covered tri-annual tune-up and continue enjoying 40 mpg

imagine if I could just take a streetcar to work, to the grocery, and then home. how chill would that be

You have no loving clue how a streetcar works

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It very much does work that way in cities with dense networks, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you can't draw a schematic of a streetcar, you shouldn't ride on one

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LonsomeSon posted:

connect the trams with a new tram in all cases, obviously

Or you could always have little low-priced markets all over the place with actual edible food in them (think bodegas but useful).

On weird things about the states, and car culture has to be part of it, is that convenience store just pretty much have junk food and booze in them.

Also, American supermarkets are mostly nonsense and the actual food in them could be condensed into a place about 1/4th the size.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:27 on Sep 30, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Blockade posted:

I'm not sure if u knew this, but there is an event that occured in 2020, and is still happening now, that caused that number to go down actually

can you guess what it was

2021 is not over yet but in 2020 the life expectancy for both men and women went up again in my country (probably because covid was a very small percentage of deaths that mostly killed old people)

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you can't draw a schematic of a streetcar, you shouldn't ride on one

you're a passenger on a street car, not the pilot. i agree that most people should not be driving a car because they don't have the care or attention to operate it successfully in the long term, in the same way that any professional machine user should understand their machine well and how the risks affect bystanders

this is basically what the thread is saying isn't it? you all hate cars and don't want to drive them so this is not contradictory. being afraid behind the wheel can be just as dangerous as being aggressive. ideally most people would never have to drive a car because it's a lot to ask of a regular person to just get around

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I pay $5/month extra on my car payment specifically so I don't have to think about this poo poo. also because my Fit is a CVT and I am absolutely not going to waste like 4 years of my life on learning how to maintain that disaster of an engine. going to take my car into the shop next week for my fully covered tri-annual tune-up and continue enjoying 40 mpg

imagine if I could just take a streetcar to work, to the grocery, and then home. how chill would that be

i can take a streetcar to work, to the grocery, and home. it is more chill than you can possibly loving imagine. it is literally the greatest thing ever and there is no downside whatsoever. i love it so much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Also, American supermarkets are mostly nonsense and the actual food in them could be condensed into a place about 1/4th the size.

that’s called a grocery store. “super” markets are supposed to have more than just food

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Or you could always have little low-priced markets all over the place with actual edible food in them (think bodegas but useful).

On weird things about the states, and car culture has to be part of it, is that convenience store just pretty much have junk food and booze in them.

i think that's more farm subsidy culture. gotta put all that processed corn and soybean "food" somewhere. of course it loops back to car culture since the people buying it are driving there with 15% or whatever ethanol in their gasoline.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My grocery store has four different sections of salsa spread across the store. There might even be another. It's the most pointless kind of excess, and I enjoy shopping at the little corner Asian grocer much more.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Here in my Truck

I feel safest of all

I can squish all the kids

It's the only way to live

E; vvv I said I'd pay for it to be animated, though I am very fond of WolfBike

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Sep 30, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

all you so called "bike lovers" gonna just let this av slip by like this? smh

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

all you so called "bike lovers" gonna just let this av slip by like this? smh

thats drop bar posture. I use flats on my 100km+ trips because I am a madman

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

that’s called a grocery store. “super” markets are supposed to have more than just food

That is the point, what could be accomplished by a super market could be done with a much smaller store if you took out most of the garbage. A store that is about 2-3 times a 7-11 is enough.

IAMKOREA posted:

i think that's more farm subsidy culture. gotta put all that processed corn and soybean "food" somewhere. of course it loops back to car culture since the people buying it are driving there with 15% or whatever ethanol in their gasoline.

It’s car culture, cars allow you access to cheap land that you then turn into big boxes with huge parking lots.

Farm subsidies just mean what you are eating is just a bunch of corn syrup and filler. Also, American food really tastes like nothing. It slaps you in the face when you leave the US but our food just doesn’t really taste like much and you need garlic, fat, sugar and salt because otherwise it is unpalatable.

Our standard of living actually really isn’t that great when you get down to it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I think I see a viable middle ground: build all shops into extra-large trams

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
streetcars are pathetic and all trains should operate either subterranean or elevated so no at grade crossings are possible

also the train tracks should have bike lanes adjacent to them so people can ride without dealing with stop signs or stoplights. just use on/offramps

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

if you do that how are people going to be able to buy food and goods, they’re all on the trams now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Their dogs can carry it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

if you do that how are people going to be able to buy food and goods, they’re all on the trams now

Grocery shopping in America is such a pain. People buy in bulk because they're overworked with no time and because every grocery trip is an across-town ordeal. Stopping by the corner store to pick up a few things is bliss and much easier to do on transit than our typical once-weekly Costco trips.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Grocery shopping in America is such a pain. People buy in bulk because they're overworked with no time and because every grocery trip is an across-town ordeal. Stopping by the corner store to pick up a few things is bliss and much easier to do on transit than our typical once-weekly Costco trips.

no you don’t understand, I’ve already eliminated Costco and put all shops onto large trams, which are moving on routes that connect other tram lines

it’s too late to stop progress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In college I lived a block away from a grocery and would just stop there on the way home from class. I had virtually no food waste these days because I'd just cook and eat whatever I got same-day

Today I have to drive 4 miles to the nearest grocery which is gigantic and takes roughly 45 minutes for a full trip through it. 15-20 if you're really hustling and know exactly what you're grabbing and ignore everything else. It sucks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have two grocery stores both 0.8 miles away, so I can just put everything in my backpack, unless I'm getting a ton of stuff

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my coworkers genuinely like Costco and going to Costco. it's insane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Costco owns for stuff like toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent, stuff like that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mistermojo posted:

my coworkers genuinely like Costco and going to Costco. it's insane

We're "finally" getting a Costco here, and people are loving pumped. The city rolled out the announcement like they'd discovered buried treasure. Of course the city's also giving them massive tax breaks and free infrastructure, but COSTCO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/csymrl/status/1443341342046883846?s=20

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We're "finally" getting a Costco here, and people are loving pumped. The city rolled out the announcement like they'd discovered buried treasure. Of course the city's also giving them massive tax breaks and free infrastructure, but COSTCO.

A cousin of mine took me to a Costco once, and I felt a wierd kind of dread the whole time. I generally try to shop local and avoid supermarkets when I can.

Costco was just insane. I will admit that if I had a family I would privacy appreciate it though.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

god I loving hate Costco. the weird mix of barebones warehouse and Apple / jewelry store makes it this strange collision of Puritan frugality and consumer excess.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My Alderman, who I have decided is cool and good for a politician, has been waging a war on cars and has removed lanes from a number of roads. Motorists are mad but I am a fan

Doesnt go nearly far enough oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Costco is ok if you have a lot of storage space, but the shopping experience in store is a nightmare and it's entirely pointless without a car to haul your crap in.