Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It'd be funny if the inside sources Bloomberg is using to get the details on the Switch Pro are all in a chat together, just building their story on what to tell them next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo has taken to incremental upgrades but in extremely slight increments that gracefully transition into just being a full-blown Switch Dua in 2030.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheScott2K posted:

Schreier was so Mad Online when "Switch Pro" didn't materialize, was fuckin lols

He was real quick on that block button

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Len posted:

He was real quick on that block button

Yeah he blocked me for the most zero-spice reply. Cool man, whatever.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Okay, this is HILARIOUS 😂

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbh it’s probably something like “the 4K dev kits are real but they’re not for a new Switch model they’re for Nintendo’s next-gen console”

the switch is like 4 and a half years old, it’s older than the 3DS was when the New 3DS came out, there’s no way Nintendo isn’t working on their next big thing by now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mental health is blocking people when they point out you did your job bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has Nvidia even put out a new Tegra yet?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Augus posted:

tbh it’s probably something like “the 4K dev kits are real but they’re not for a new Switch model they’re for Nintendo’s next-gen console”

the switch is like 4 and a half years old, it’s older than the 3DS was when the New 3DS came out, there’s no way Nintendo isn’t working on their next big thing by now.

Yeah, nobody is saying Nintendo isn't working on a successor. The tiring thing has been people trying to be the one to be first to find evidence of it. It's especially egregious when it happens right before or after the hardware they weren't expecting happens. When "Bloomberg Intelligence" in that article touted it was 4K, they doubled down on saying "WE WERE RIGHT ABOUT IT BEING OLED".

It happens outside of Nintendo too. Evidence of a slightly redesigned PS5 leaked earlier and the rumor mill for PS5 Pro went in full gear. It's tiring.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Augus posted:

The Tegra in the current Switches already supports 4K output so it's entirely possible they just hacked together a prototype that enables it, to see if devs could do anything useful with it given the limited performance

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mental health is blocking people when they point out you did your job bad.

Mental health is blocking gamers on twitter.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

bushisms.txt posted:

This ain't happening. I think they said they barely had enough to get it out last time, and with how awful manufacturing and shipping is right now, no way they're going to do that.

It was a successful Kickstarter and it needs zero microprocessors, and heck it's currently sold out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Has Nvidia even put out a new Tegra yet?

Yeah but it’s mainly for auto MFGs.

I’m really curious which magical chip people think Nintendo could be using because I’m not even sure one exists yet. Maybe apples M/A series could do it since they are incredibly low power but lol at that.

Well I guess technically the A series could do it since that is what’s in the current Apple TV and it games ok at 4K I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I’m really curious which magical chip people think Nintendo could be using because I’m not even sure one exists yet.

It's not like console manufacturers are strangers to commissioning their own silicon, the Switch is an outlier in using a pre-existing SoC

Everything Nintendo made before the Switch used custom chips

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

valve and apple stole all the good chips , nintendo are rummaging through a box of old tegra X1s to see if there’s any magic down the bottom

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but it’s mainly for auto MFGs.

I’m really curious which magical chip people think Nintendo could be using because I’m not even sure one exists yet. Maybe apples M/A series could do it since they are incredibly low power but lol at that.

Well I guess technically the A series could do it since that is what’s in the current Apple TV and it games ok at 4K I guess.

would have to be something they custom r&d w nvidia which makes the idea they cancelled something they had in the pipeline even more ridiculous lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If apple started licensing out their chips I’m pretty sure Hell would burst from the ground

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, nobody is saying Nintendo isn't working on a successor. The tiring thing has been people trying to be the one to be first to find evidence of it.

yeah that’s their job.
if it’s mentally exhausting to you, you can just, like, ignore it? like seriously why even care, it’s just video game hardware

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 30, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah never gonna happen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheScott2K posted:

Top loader NES was cool. Cart slot was better, dogbone controller was better, took up less space. RF only was a bummer but lol if you noticed that in 1990whatever

I don't think the dog bone controller is better. Any time you have two buttons angled, the left action button should be higher than the right action button, like how you primarily use Y and B in SNES platformers.

Nintendo seems to agree with you though as everytime they release NES games again they make you use A and B with A above B.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Switch Pro / Switch 2 implies backwards compatibility

Nintendo has now learned that they can sell previous gen games in the new format at full price

So get ready for 2025 and the release of the new Nintendo console with launch games Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Dread.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the Switch successor will have backwards compatibility. They were able to get away with ditching it for Wii U to Switch because statistically nobody bought Wii U.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

They could have backward compatiblized the eShop but they hate me, personally, and my money

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the Switch successor will have backwards compatibility. They were able to get away with ditching it for Wii U to Switch because statistically nobody bought Wii U.

wiorng. it sbecause its the 3ds successor but only has one screen

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When the switch is done you can pay a small service fee to have all your games transferred to individual watches.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

wiorng. it sbecause its the 3ds successor but only has one screen
The second screen is the TV that you watch shows on while playing handheld

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I feel like at some point the Switch using the TV as a 2nd screen for DS games was a thought but they couldn't get the switch to act like a Wii U and the dock like the tablet for whatever reason in the price package they wanted. It just feels like they wanted to be able to do that. And honestly wireless docked mode could be a fun gimmick.

Like they have to have at least prototyped it the entire tech stack should exist thanks to Wii U.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That might have been neat but kinda hard to implement - I found the Kirby game for the Wii U kind of a waste since you need to be looking at the drat screen the whole time unless your muscle memory is just that good for drawing.

E: Oh wow, didnt know the CV Advance collection was already out!! $25 CAD is nothing for all those memories.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

The switch wont have a successor because it, like Nintendo, is doomed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

That might have been neat but kinda hard to implement - I found the Kirby game for the Wii U kind of a waste since you need to be looking at the drat screen the whole time unless your muscle memory is just that good for drawing.

E: Oh wow, didnt know the CV Advance collection was already out!! $25 CAD is nothing for all those memories.

yeah it's a shame, the game is gorgeous but you'll spend the whole thing looking at the crummy tablet screen

pixaal posted:

I feel like at some point the Switch using the TV as a 2nd screen for DS games was a thought but they couldn't get the switch to act like a Wii U and the dock like the tablet for whatever reason in the price package they wanted. It just feels like they wanted to be able to do that. And honestly wireless docked mode could be a fun gimmick.

Like they have to have at least prototyped it the entire tech stack should exist thanks to Wii U.

while many wii u games can be played on tv or tablet, several cannot due to functioning as a console ds, and i imagine nintendo probably wanted to avoid that altogether on the switch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Switch is a bog-standard ARM processor and hardware, so unless Nintendo hard-swerves back into esoteric console architecture nonsense it's not even gonna really be backwards-compatibility, it's just natively compatible software.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If Nintendo abandons the Switch library I’ll simply keep a switch lite in a drawer forever next to my 3DS, PSP, GBA, and DSi. Much easier to keep handhelds compared to consoles like the clunky Wii U and it’s molasses OS

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Switch is a bog-standard ARM processor and hardware, so unless Nintendo hard-swerves back into esoteric console architecture nonsense it's not even gonna really be backwards-compatibility, it's just natively compatible software.

The tricky part is that Switch software is heavily tied to the Maxwell GPU architecture (shaders are shipped fully pre-compiled as Maxwell binaries) so they'd need a GPU emulation layer to get it running on newer architectures

Not impossible, but not trivial, ask the Yuzu devs

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It happens outside of Nintendo too. Evidence of a slightly redesigned PS5 leaked earlier and the rumor mill for PS5 Pro went in full gear. It's tiring.
websites were talking about a redesign of iPhone 14, before iPhone 13 was even formally revealed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Junkie Disease posted:

It was a successful Kickstarter and it needs zero microprocessors, and heck it's currently sold out
I know, I kickstarted it lol There were a bunch of shipping delays and manufacturing things to work out including them having to fly to China. If you know anything about shipping and manufacturing right now it's 10,000 times worse at the moment. And it's sold out because they stopped making.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just want better joycons to be part of whatever is next, split controllers are super comfortable

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I know, I kickstarted it lol There were a bunch of shipping delays and manufacturing things to work out including them having to fly to China. If you know anything about shipping and manufacturing right now it's 10,000 times worse at the moment. And it's sold out because they stopped making.

I'm ok ks another run with like a headband adapter

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Wiimote + nunchuck was the best controller setup ever. The joycons are great too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

websites were talking about a redesign of iPhone 14, before iPhone 13 was even formally revealed.

yeah but like iphones literally do come out every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm ok ks another run with like a headband adapter

I kickstart every little doodad adapter whatever that comes out for the switch, I was just saying I wouldn't put faith in any kind of campaign for it to come out anytime soon.