Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Tang, 16 fluid ounces, body-temperature.

Edit: Oh what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cow, spherical, boneless, roasted

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you can channel the replicator network out through the transporter if need be and beam things into existence wherever in special circumstances.

I bet lovely captains abuse that. Bridge to transporter room three, refill my coffee.

Why even have more than one or two replicators? Have a main one and a spare somewhere deep in the ship and use the transporter to send the food wherever it was requested from.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

Why even have more than one or two replicators? Have a main one and a spare somewhere deep in the ship and use the transporter to send the food wherever it was requested from.

Transporters seem much more energy hungry and also have dedicated staff

(Or sometimes just work automatically when you push a button but who knows)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Chili, five-alarm

This procedure is not recommended.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's the real reason O'Brien was needed in the transporter room. Gotta keep the earl grey, hot flowing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

As well as there being a transporter bottleneck at peak times, that also opens the door for all sorts of horrific malfunctions.

Better hope the teleporter buffer was properly cleared before dinnertime during that ion storm, or everyone's getting Thomas Riker Stew (it can still feel pain!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I'd take it as being a job where it's what you know rather than what you do. Sure the Transporter USUALLY works and it's boring, but for that rare time it goes wrong you want that expert onhand.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd take it as being a job where it's what you know rather than what you do. Sure the Transporter USUALLY works and it's boring, but for that rare time it goes wrong you want that expert onhand.

At least by TNG that seems accurate. Them having to manually slide the doohickeys up and down on a touchscreen was always a bit lol but so is everything about how their ship interface works if you think too much about it I guess

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Bloop posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

At least by TNG that seems accurate. Them having to manually slide the doohickeys up and down on a touchscreen was always a bit lol but so is everything about how their ship interface works if you think too much about it I guess

Maybe it's just your phone going SLIDE TO UNLOCK

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In Star Trek all the officers have a set of evasive manoeuvres programmed into the computer that they've come up with and named after themselves, but they have to ask for and specify every piece of food they want individually.

You should be able to go up to a replicator on the Enterprise and say "Give me a Troi-Delta-two-three-seven" and the entire aperture immediately fills with a cuboid of solid chocolate cake.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Made me wonder if every time Picard says "Bridge to transporter room 3," O'Brien replies and then hurriedly goes "Computer, beam me to transporter room 3" from the secret NCO fun lounge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

Made me wonder if every time Picard says "Bridge to transporter room 3," O'Brien replies and then hurriedly goes "Computer, beam me to transporter room 3" from the secret NCO fun lounge.

lmao he would be alone there too XD

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

In Star Trek all the officers have a set of evasive manoeuvres programmed into the computer that they've come up with and named after themselves, but they have to ask for and specify every piece of food they want individually.

You should be able to go up to a replicator on the Enterprise and say "Give me a Troi-Delta-two-three-seven" and the entire aperture immediately fills with a cuboid of solid chocolate cake.

Feline Supplement 47

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The idea of a executive/bridge crew only level (like Deck 2 or something) that you can solely access by transporter is a nice bit of in universe urban legending that would fit well in Lower Decks.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

My secret theory is that "Tea, Earl Grey, hot" is Picard's private codename for "Single-malt in a teacup."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Killer robot posted:

My secret theory is that "Tea, Earl Grey, hot" is Picard's private codename for "Single-malt in a teacup."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm still chuckling about "computer, ice cube, 500 degrees Celsius",

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The idea of a executive/bridge crew only level (like Deck 2 or something) that you can solely access by transporter is a nice bit of in universe urban legending that would fit well in Lower Decks.

Thank you for reminding me of the early 2000s Elite Force game. There's a Voyager deck that can only be accessed via transporter, staffed by a single lonely crewman whose only job for the past several years has been operating the ship's landing gear (and waiting for the rare opportunity to see anything happen with the landing gear).

Not in any way canon, but a great thing to stumble on in between visiting the cool parts of Voyager.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I think those rooms in the Enterprise D nacelles (where that one guy killed himself and Troi almost did too) would be pretty lonely, especially in the far future when the nacelles are detached, though you could just use your personal transporter and goof off somewhere else if the supervisor isn't paying attention. Or you could get a job on a relay station for a year with only one other person who is definitely NOT a coalescent organism, plus your dog and a Klingon captain who stops by to harass you because he is also bored.

Arc Light posted:

Thank you for reminding me of the early 2000s Elite Force game. There's a Voyager deck that can only be accessed via transporter, staffed by a single lonely crewman whose only job for the past several years has been operating the ship's landing gear (and waiting for the rare opportunity to see anything happen with the landing gear).

Not in any way canon, but a great thing to stumble on in between visiting the cool parts of Voyager.

That must be where they stuck Joe Carey in seasons 2-6

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Light posted:

Elite Force is on GoG.com along with a few other games (not BotF) from that era.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

You drat well know Mariner was the only non-bridge crew (and or officer under the rank of full Commander) who ever got to hang on the 1701-D's Deck Zero:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to think that the replicators are just for your personal quarters or in lounges, but for feeding the crew on duty or for the lower grades, there's still a galley pumping out mountains of mashed potatoes, in proper naval tradition.

Which is why there were mashed potatoes in Star Trek VI.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if Mariner ever dated Wesley Crusher.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if Mariner ever dated Wesley Crusher.

No one ever dated Wesley Crusher

Except an alien monster once I guess

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Bloop posted:

Ashley Judd.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Well he got married, if cut scenes are any sort of canon. Ew, I know, but canon's a canon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

The Traveller, although it’s probably not exactly what you’d call dating as such. :ohdear:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rack of ribs, sauce, american BBQ, composed of Captain Jean Luc Picard. 16 hour slow-cook.

What's everyone looking at me weird for?

That's a brave submission for Captain Picard Day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This week is kind of an amazing way to do a bunch of "what if?" scenarios.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

IT'S NAAAKED TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

another very fine and fun episode; i lost it when boimler started minmaxing the borg cube and pretty much kept on laughing the rest of the episode's duration

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Really good Trek.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, I'm trying to watch but Paramount- just played three ads, showed me a splash screen, and immediately played three more

So that's fun

Ok looks like it's actually starting now, but goddamn dude I paid for this

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
IT'S NAKED TIME

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They took everything that I was

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Technowolf posted:

IT'S NAAAKED TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!!

That whole segment was amazing.

The Trill and Andorians making out, Bromlier just straight up spread eagle on the bar.

"I can't tell where my body ends and yours begins!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And Billups just sitting there calmly using a PADD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how Mirror Sha'x was about the same.