Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

Lorikeets gonna lorikeet. If I leave my hand in one spot for too long while feeding them on my deck, they will jump on it.

You live in the best reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Poor Freckles.
Last week she was smeared with poo poo from the chicks, this week she's started moulting. This is not her month.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Pippin died last spring and I’m just broken over this. It was last May, but I’m still finding myself bawling over the slightest thing.

I’ve started looking for a baby or rescue, but that’s tough in a pandemic plus we aren’t near where I got him and people I trust.

I found one that I’m considering, but they claim I can’t come to their home due to their “protection” of their birds. If it was a dog breeder, that would scream puppy mill to me. What do y’all think? I know birds are valuable, but does this sound right?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

You should be able to arrange a meeting with the bird before purchase/adoption. If they won't let you near the bird beforehand I would abandon that option. If they are breeding birds and won't let you come into their home to meet the parents and you are looking at one of the hatchlings, I would not consider that a trusted option. They should be willing to, at the very least, meet you in a neutral position with the bird you are looking to take home.

Bird mills aren't as prominent as puppy mills but people definitely breed birds for profit without regard for the health of the animals. I would personally treat it like looking for a dog, but with higher stakes involved since birds seem to get PTSD way more often than dogs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
No new pictures, and there may well not be any more, because I've taken to feeding the magpies insectivore mix combined with mince, so my fingers are too dirty to touch my phone when I'm around the birds.

You may remember a post I made in February, about a juvenile magpie with a tangled foot:

And how a few weeks later the string frayed and fell off, and by April its limp had gone:
https://i.imgur.com/sYbcPGN.mp4
It seemed to have missed some key development due to that injury, and would never even try to catch thrown food (even though it would take from my hand). Well, last week not only did it sing like an adult but it also had a go at catching a piece of insectivore mince! Maybe Little Buddy will be okay once it gets kicked out of the parental territory? I still hope it's a girl (and thus has a better chance of being allowed to hang around for a year or three).

I switched to Insectivore Mix after a chance meeting in the park with a retired biologist, who gave me some tips on preparation and assured me they love it (I was reluctant to try after previously attempting to feed the magpies another brand and having it be universally rejected). The biologist mentioned a male nicknamed Stumpy. I'll give you one guess how many legs Stumpy has (hint: one).
Stumpy recently moved in with a group I'm already familiar with, so I've started visiting them each day to make sure he gets a feed, and he already recognises me and flies up to me when he sees me. Magpies do their foraging by walking over the grass and watching and listening for insects, which he obviously can't do.
The other day after I fed him, a woman walked up and wanted to know all about the food I was giving him, it turns out she also keeps an eye out for him and gives him cheese when she can. Between her, me, and the biologist, Stumpy has at least three Big Friends looking out for him :3:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Hi guys,

2 weeks ago or so i posted about my cockatiel, Jake who died recently. First and foremost, thanks to everyone who offered their condoleances.

I just wanted to give a quick update about Sam, my remaining bird.

He spent the first few days depressed and on our shoulders the whole time but that eventually improved. He still spends the majority of his time on us but he does go to do his own things now.

We havent been able to get him back to eat pellet as a regular diet. I think he realised we'll give him millet if he waits long enough. He'll eat a random pellet here or there, but its more an act of foraging than anything.

Other than that i think hes getting better morally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mombot posted:

I found one that I’m considering, but they claim I can’t come to their home due to their “protection” of their birds. If it was a dog breeder, that would scream puppy mill to me. What do y’all think? I know birds are valuable, but does this sound right?
For comparison, I've visited Project Perry (a bird rescue in Central VA) to volunteer a couple times. They're very protective of their birds because they've actually had attempted thefts, but not to the point of banning potential bird adopters from visiting on-site. Sounds fishy to me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

*stuffing live birds into a large sack with a bird drawn on the side while an old-timey cartoon soundtrack plays*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra's favorite thing on earth is chewing up little pieces of paper towel. I think it triggers some sort of combination nesting instinct, TREAT TIME, and chewing instinct.

Trying to play tug of war with her green string during Paper Towel Time is strictly NOT ALLOWED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCpdfVpk8_E

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Serra one of those cockatiels that just doesn't know how to actually bite? Nemo does that.

Nemo seems to have more-or-less made her peace with the concept of bedtime. Her current routine is to complain loudly, fly upward about 24 inches, and then land on my finger so I can put her to bed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

alex LOVES chewing up paper into bits

he’s great about bedtime too. all i have to do is dim the lights and he runs right to bed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Serra one of those cockatiels that just doesn't know how to actually bite? Nemo does that.

Nemo seems to have more-or-less made her peace with the concept of bedtime. Her current routine is to complain loudly, fly upward about 24 inches, and then land on my finger so I can put her to bed.

Serra can sure as hell bite. Once she was trying to find the drawstring to my pants under my bird shirt. Sure missed and got pure gut. Felt like a vice grip.

She also nips harder when she is actually angry. That video was all mock cockatiel rage.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

GotLag posted:

Magpie friends!

I thoroughly enjoy the establishment of the Stumpy Support Network. I'm also happy to hear that our little friend has recovered quite well over time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Serra's favorite thing on earth is chewing up little pieces of paper towel. I think it triggers some sort of combination nesting instinct, TREAT TIME, and chewing instinct.

Trying to play tug of war with her green string during Paper Towel Time is strictly NOT ALLOWED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCpdfVpk8_E

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Your Very Destructive Avocado is just marvelous.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Your Very Destructive Avocado is just marvelous.

i love snagging pics with his beak open, it’s so cute

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It's a grenade wearing avocado camouflage.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

A couple of loris and a cockatoo are in the midst of a showdown over some errant seed. The cockatoo has just returned with backup. Reporting live.

Edit: Now the cockatoos are fighting each other instead. Quality entertainment.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 2, 2021

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

So this happened. What should I do? She’s plucked almost all of her chest. :(

Green check conure, has a boyfriend. They’ve been shagging like mad for what feels like months but this is the first time she’s laid.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just ran in to the biologist again, used the opportunity to ask some questions. Stumpy has been missing one leg for at least three years, and there's another guy who also looks out for him, bringing the Big Friend count to four!
Little Buddy was holding a freshly-caught insect in its break when it came up to me today, good to see it doing so well.
I also asked about the ladies at my place who appear to not need no man, and said I had never seen a male at the nest. He said that's extremely odd, either there's one I've missed or he recently died. But males who disappear get replaced very quickly, sometimes even the same day. I must continue to observe.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/et28frk-kAY

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

GotLag posted:

I also asked about the ladies at my place who appear to not need no man, and said I had never seen a male at the nest. He said that's extremely odd, either there's one I've missed or he recently died. But males who disappear get replaced very quickly, sometimes even the same day. I must continue to observe.

Maybe they're lesbians.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RoboRodent posted:

Maybe they're lesbians.

Magpies aren't parthenogenes so a male had to be involved at some point.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Magpolyamory

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yoshesque posted:

So this happened. What should I do? She’s plucked almost all of her chest. :(

Green check conure, has a boyfriend. They’ve been shagging like mad for what feels like months but this is the first time she’s laid.

just want to amplify this in case others have ideas. sorry friend, i don’t really. when did the plucking start? do they have a mineral block? you might consider adding a little mineral blend and cooked egg to any chop you provide for a little bit to make sure she gets enough protein and minerals if she’s laying

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

GotLag posted:

Magpies aren't parthenogenes so a male had to be involved at some point.

Sure, and I dunno about magpies in particular, but lady birds in same-sex pairs mating with a male and then chasing him off is a well-established phenomenon in quite a few species. Frequently the male is cheating on his own mate and has his own family to attend to anyway.

Fun fact: I checked Wikipedia because they have, for some insane but ultimately helpful reason, a list of bird species where homosexuality has been observed and confirmed, and there's a big old [citation needed] on cockatiel right now. I guess my own personal anecdotes aren't rigorous science, though. There are no magpies on the list, but frankly that doesn't remotely mean it doesn't happen.

Anyway I'm mostly shitposting but I'm here for all the queer animals lmao.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A few times a year a bizarre role reversal happens between Yellow (always angry female) and Blue (always VERY EXCITED AND BRAVE wanna do it? Male.)

It happened again yesterday. Yellow started singing Blue’s songs to him, then chased him around head bobbing and acting like a male. Then she cornered him and started regurgitating food for him. This went on for about an hour.

I don’t even know what to call it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

A few times a year a bizarre role reversal happens between Yellow (always angry female) and Blue (always VERY EXCITED AND BRAVE wanna do it? Male.)

It happened again yesterday. Yellow started singing Blue’s songs to him, then chased him around head bobbing and acting like a male. Then she cornered him and started regurgitating food for him. This went on for about an hour.

See thread title

Might also be her getting pissed at his advances and going "hey mister see how YOU like it"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

See thread title

Might also be her getting pissed at his advances and going "hey mister see how YOU like it"

grace definitely does the latter periodically. she’s still young enough to not be too interested in fun times so periodically she just sticks a leg on top of alex and then doesn’t do anything because she’s not actually trying to mount him

mostly he tries to mount her and she sticks his foot in her mouth in revenge

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

Freaky Friday.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

mediaphage posted:

just want to amplify this in case others have ideas. sorry friend, i don’t really. when did the plucking start? do they have a mineral block? you might consider adding a little mineral blend and cooked egg to any chop you provide for a little bit to make sure she gets enough protein and minerals if she’s laying

Supposedly if their diet is at least 70% pellet it should cover the mineral needs. They have the fruit flavour zupreem pellet so I think it’s ok? I only noticed the plucking on Saturday, it seems like it came up overnight but she’s been acting hormonal for a while. Her most recent hobby is trying to eat the coating off the bars on her cage, and poking her head out between the bars - it’s hard to tell whether it’s the hormones of whether she’s just broken (she is a pretty broke-brained bird). Just today she was out and as soon as she could she made a beeline for the back of the couch and we had to herd her out. So she won’t be getting too much outside cage time after that.

We put the egg back in the cage (after briefly boiling it) and they showed no interest in it. She hasn’t laid another egg but they’re both still in breeding mode - lots of baby birding and shagging.

Breeding season :bird:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I am (very slowly) starting the process of looking for a new home for Auri. No, this isn't due to any issues with her--this is something I've known I'd need to eventually do for a while, because I'm finally at the point where I'm getting ready to buy a cruising sailboat to live on, a life that as romantic as it would seem, is not really appropriate for Auri (nor very feasible in a legal sense in many places in the world).

I brought it up today with someone at the local bird store & hotel that she has a special connection with. She is interested, though her living and financial situation may not be appropriate for a second parrot, so we'll keep in touch, and I'll also keep asking around a little bit. Right now my goal is to find her a new home by March 2022, which I think is plenty of time to find the right person.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kenshin posted:

I am (very slowly) starting the process of looking for a new home for Auri. No, this isn't due to any issues with her--this is something I've known I'd need to eventually do for a while, because I'm finally at the point where I'm getting ready to buy a cruising sailboat to live on, a life that as romantic as it would seem, is not really appropriate for Auri (nor very feasible in a legal sense in many places in the world).

I brought it up today with someone at the local bird store & hotel that she has a special connection with. She is interested, though her living and financial situation may not be appropriate for a second parrot, so we'll keep in touch, and I'll also keep asking around a little bit. Right now my goal is to find her a new home by March 2022, which I think is plenty of time to find the right person.

Surely all the pirate-related media I've consumed over the years couldn't have lied to me about the feasibility of parrots on boats

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
I recently moved into a new house and we've been battling an ant problem that we just can't defeat. The ants have migrated into my daughters room with her 3 birds, 2 budgies and a cockatiel. I know birds are sensitive to chemicals but is it possible to spray a non-aerosol pesticide in the room or should be relocate them for the day to another room while we spray that area?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheJunkyardGod posted:

I recently moved into a new house and we've been battling an ant problem that we just can't defeat. The ants have migrated into my daughters room with her 3 birds, 2 budgies and a cockatiel. I know birds are sensitive to chemicals but is it possible to spray a non-aerosol pesticide in the room or should be relocate them for the day to another room while we spray that area?

Mix up some sugar and bicarb soda, and leave it for the ants to find and take back to their hive. If you're lucky it'll kill the queen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Just let the birds eat the ants boom ez enrichment

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Terro for ants is supposed to be nontoxic to pets. We used it in our condo and had good success with it. Not perfect, but it did a good job until we eventually got a pest control person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Terro for ants is supposed to be nontoxic to pets. We used it in our condo and had good success with it. Not perfect, but it did a good job until we eventually got a pest control person.

I was about to suggest this very thing, ants like to come into our kitchen after Oregon’s dry season starts and Terro in each set of cabinets is enough to make them start looking elsewhere after a bit. We’ve had parakeets for years now, and while they’re not particularly close to where the Terro goes just having it present hasn’t harmed them like some chemicals can.

There’s also an ant killer my mom used to make out of Borax, but I searched up the bicarb ant killer mentioned above and it seems easier to clean up residues of so I’m seconding that as well.