Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you don't have MFA on your azure logins by now you're asking for it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

It's down anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
LAPS really loves to use I, l, and 1 in its passwords, and then display it in a small san-serif font so you have no loving idea what you're supposed to be typing unless you copy it into Word and change the font to something that isn't completely ambiguous.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Polio Vax Scene posted:

SyNack Sassimov posted:

And MFA / Conditional Access happen later in the chain so they can't protect against it.

Reading is fun!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Reading is fun!

The point isn’t that mfa prevents the attack it’s that it reduces the usefulness of compromised credentials

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

The point isn’t that mfa prevents the attack it’s that it reduces the usefulness of compromised credentials

Its the sad reality of information security these days. Everyone wants to put all this time, effort, and money into credential exfil prevention and mostly all I care about is making it as worthless as possible.

I am never going to prevent users from giving their passwords away. You aren't either. The sooner you give up on it but the most basic of protections, the more sane you will be. Force the bad guys to take over the device, the credentials, and mfa before they get in. Make the other org the target worth targeting.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Just give us the hand-chips from futurama already

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

LAPS really loves to use I, l, and 1 in its passwords, and then display it in a small san-serif font so you have no loving idea what you're supposed to be typing unless you copy it into Word and change the font to something that isn't completely ambiguous.

Notepad is usually good enough, if you squint real hard at the 1s and ls to see the difference in the top serif. I only ever touch LAPS when the user's machine has no domain access at all, which means I'm basically always reading one of those passwords over a poor phone connection to a deeply nontechnical user in an emergency. It usually goes about as well as you would expect. Fortunately, it's usually only a once or twice a year occurrence.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Just give us the hand-chips from futurama already

Just being assigned a dead-end grind of a job instead of having to go through the torturous job search process...? We should be so lucky.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

Just being assigned a dead-end grind of a job instead of having to go through the torturous job search process...? We should be so lucky.

You gotta do whatcha gotta do.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp managed to finally port our DIDs over to Telnyx from VoIP.ms. Right up until we stopped using them their POPs were still going in and out.

Submitted the port request at 9AM, it was done at 3PM.

So far so good, Telnyx seems to work well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: I was supposed to have a meeting with my manager on Monday. She had an emergency meeting come up that conflicted and was supposed to call me when she had the chance. Nothing. Today she was supposed to call me this afternoon. Nothing. Given that the meeting is almost definitely going to revolve around the promotion that she and another manager are supposed to be working on, that's not making me feel optimistic if she's not even willing to say "I expect to have news in a couple days so I want to wait until then." My manager and I have always had a good relationship over the past 2 years that I've worked here too, so it's even more concerning.

Waiting to hear back with final results from two jobs right now, in talks for a bunch of others.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Waiting to hear back with final results from two jobs right now, in talks for a bunch of others.

LOL in advance if she finally schedules the meeting and says "no news yet !" and then you quit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It felt really satisfying to put in my notice right at the start of my annual performance review at the last place.

Especially since she wanted me to stand up SharePoint 2013 on-prem for the business to use. In 2017.

There was a blanket cloud services ban from the global German parent corporation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just a friendly note to anybody who is a project manager, if you don't understand what's been written then you definitely aren't in a position to start rewriting it. If you don't understand something then I will gladly take you through it. If you pass my update along to a client and there are questions, great, send them back over and I will answer them. I'll even attend a meeting with you both to talk through it. But don't send a completely butchered version of what I wrote and then get upset that it's confused people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Been waiting on a trackpad for this laptop for a MONTH

Valued Dell Technologies Customer,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, your repair, service or delivery has been delayed. We understand the impact delays can have on you and your business, and we are doing everything within our power to fulfill your repair, service or delivery.

Dell is committed to providing you with an excellent support experience. If you have questions or need additional support, please contact your assigned Case Owner. Additional specific contact and contract information can be located on our Dell Technologies Support Page. Thank you in advance for your patience.

If your service includes an on-site technician, they will contact you in advance to confirm schedule for service.
In the event your location is inaccessible or impacted by other lockdown restrictions (Country, State/Province, City, Site), you might experience further service delays.

Service Tag: XXXXXXXXXX
Service Call/Dispatch Number: 7428xxxxxxx
Service Request Number: 10689xxxxxx
Estimated Delivery Date: "October 5, 2021"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Just a friendly note to anybody who is a project manager, if you don't understand what's been written then you definitely aren't in a position to start rewriting it. If you don't understand something then I will gladly take you through it. If you pass my update along to a client and there are questions, great, send them back over and I will answer them. I'll even attend a meeting with you both to talk through it. But don't send a completely butchered version of what I wrote and then get upset that it's confused people.

I don't know what's worse, this, or when the PM just sends a copy paste of your exact explanation to the client. Why do you even exist if you're just an echo of me?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Been waiting on a trackpad for this laptop for a MONTH

Valued Dell Technologies Customer,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, your repair, service or delivery has been delayed. We understand the impact delays can have on you and your business, and we are doing everything within our power to fulfill your repair, service or delivery.

Dell is committed to providing you with an excellent support experience. If you have questions or need additional support, please contact your assigned Case Owner. Additional specific contact and contract information can be located on our Dell Technologies Support Page. Thank you in advance for your patience.

If your service includes an on-site technician, they will contact you in advance to confirm schedule for service.
In the event your location is inaccessible or impacted by other lockdown restrictions (Country, State/Province, City, Site), you might experience further service delays.

Service Tag: XXXXXXXXXX
Service Call/Dispatch Number: 7428xxxxxxx
Service Request Number: 10689xxxxxx
Estimated Delivery Date: "October 5, 2021"

Supply chain is hosed, laptops from Dell are a poo poo show right now. CDW is telling us 3-5 months for our standard 7420 laptop.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

devmd01 posted:

It felt really satisfying to put in my notice right at the start of my annual performance review at the last place.

The most satisfying resignation was a week after I told my manager I was diagnosed with depression and he said “I don’t care, that shouldn’t affect your attitude.”

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The most satisfying resignation was a week after I told my manager I was diagnosed with depression and he said “I don’t care, that shouldn’t effect your attitude.”

.. That's LITERALLY what it does, what is wrong with people

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

management brain. no known cure

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me that's boomer brain, mad that these crybaby millenials/gen z are actually taking care of their mental health. Back in their day they buried that poo poo with alcohol and abused their family!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

That was the same day they put me on a PIP. It was so good leaving that job and (surprise!) it was the main cause of my depression!

xzzy posted:

To me that's boomer brain, mad that these crybaby millenials/gen z are actually taking care of their mental health. Back in their day they buried that poo poo with alcohol and abused their family!

Worse, GenX brain.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Weedle posted:

management brain. no known cure

The guillotine is a perfect cure for management brain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, I'm likely in the wrong, because I overstepped in some regard, but the whole situation is just loving stupid.

I'm doing part time data analysis here at my job. Because the plant had been under 2.5m/8ft of water during the European floods recently, we're building back up. The management needed some predictions as to what products would be ready to manufacture again based on reparation date estimates, for longterm planning and short term raw material orders. For that to be entirely correct, I needed specific data from the planning application of the calculation department. That data is said to be off limits to us, but it's mostly just a half-spoken out but unwritten rule. I don't know why, because it's manufacturing related, and we work with manufacturing related data, but alas.

So we submitted a request to IT to fetch the stuff for us. Three days in, still no data, but they're "working on it full-time" (the person that wrote the application is doing it, you'd think it'd be a quick matter). Meanwhile management was breathing down our neck, because they wanted to know ideally yesterday.

I said gently caress it, pulled the table and column metadata from DB2, looked for the tables that could be related to said application based on what's put in the table descriptions, took tons of notes, looked at table data, then eventually figured out how to join everything to get proper data and wrote an Excel worksheet around it that spits out dynamically what can be manufactured and when, based on continuous input from the technical department. I did all that in half a day.

At the end of the fourth goddamn day (i.e. in the afternoon after doing my thing) I finally get part of the data we requested. The IT head eventually noticed we were done ahead of their delivery, wondered how, eventually figured out and flipped his poo poo, because we were "forbidden" to access these publicly accessible tables. Now there's a bunch of drama about data access.

Meanwhile I'm also rewriting a bunch of old-rear end Visual Foxpro applications in JS/React, and am merrily (re)writing SQL queries. The IT head was already musing for ages about web services and consequently disabling ODBC access, however very long term ideas. But it seems poo poo got accelerated due to that stint. If things were to come to a head, I'll be spending writing tons of tickets with requests for web service endpoints for specific data, and then probably wait several days to several weeks for each. In the hopes they actually deliver correct data, which is seldom the case, when we let them do more complex analytics on their term. Which leads to more back and forth, trying to hint them as to why things are wrong without knowing how they even assembled the data. We work directly with the production departments, so we typically know why data is hosed up. They however don't.

A good example is that one table with measurement data, that's essentially data from several tables denormalized into it for reasons unknown to me. A long while ago, on behest of management, we requested some columns to be added with data from other obscure tables. poo poo's been incorrect for 9-10 months and we're still arguing with them. At some point I pulled the same poo poo like above, except they don't know about it, figuring out on my own how to join ten loving tables, that I shouldn't even know about, to get proper data. Meanwhile they still don't manage to generate the proper results for us. This is loving stupid.

I hate my life. I should change jobs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Supply chain is hosed, laptops from Dell are a poo poo show right now. CDW is telling us 3-5 months for our standard 7420 laptop.

Keyboard got here in 2 days (too bad it was the wrong part)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dooooo eeeeeet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm doing part time data analysis here at my job.

Feel like executive management should just ...dictate that you need the data, period, no restrictions?

also congrats on the budding analytics skillset

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Our best business analyst left earlier in the month. I am on a couple of projects she was assigned to, along with the same PM. I'm already getting frustrated. I had a convo with the PM yesterday after a debrief after a customer call.

Me: Oh, and [replacement BA] sent me the discovery document via email yesterday morning. Can you maybe give her a nudge to upload that to SharePoint? We should be working out of there, not emailing documents back and forth. There is an earlier version in there last updated 8/30 by [BA that left].
PM: I didn't want her to give that to you yet. You actually like SharePoint?
Me: It's nice to know I'm viewing or updating the latest version of a document.
PM: I hate it. I can never find anything. (there is a standard folder structure for each project and a loving search bar) When I do find something, I download a copy to my hard drive so I have the latest version. (bookmark it, dumbass)
Me: Until someone updates it on SharePoint. Or you update it locally and then no one has the latest copy but you. It's useful for tracking and reviewing documents.
PM: I do that when Tech Comm uploads a doc for us to review.
Me: But it should already be in there so we can do that as it's first being built. The procedure is to put all project documentation in there.
PM: Well, I'm old school, so I prefer working with a local copy. I only have a few years left anyway.

But yeah, nothing has been updated under that project's site since the good BA left. I checked the other site and there were, I think, three documents updated 7-9 days ago by a different replacement BA. It's another ongoing discovery, so I can't be certain if she's actually using SharePoint properly or just copying updated versions up periodically. The funny thing is there were a couple docs updated by the good BA the day after her final day! She wasn't even employed at that point, but she was more proactive than the others.

I vented to my manager on our scheduled weekly one-on-one today. He's not happy and wanted to talk to their manager about following procedures. I told him I was planning to talk to their manager anyway because of an unrelated item. Of course, if he tells his team to "use loving SharePoint!", it'll be pretty obvious it's me. So I'm floating the idea of just putting my foot down the next time someone emails me a discovery or design doc not in SharePoint. "I don't work on documents through email. Please upload this to the project SharePoint site so we all have access to the latest documentation and we can work from there." I'd rather be known as a pain to work with than a tattletale.

I swear every week it's someone else not following a different procedure. Also, I can't believe I'm defending SharePoint, but it exists for a reason.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sharepoint online is fine, and library sync solved this problem for every user I’ve worked with that has the same attitude.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Feel like executive management should just ...dictate that you need the data, period, no restrictions?

also congrats on the budding analytics skillset
It seems like the typical interdepartment in-fighting. I guess it doesn't matter that the whole company is in crisis mode. The manufacturing and sales sides of management are like "We need that poo poo stat" and the IT side of management is like "Well, when I order a car, I also need to wait for it to be built first". There's probably gonna be some back and forth on management level, haven't heard anything yet so far.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Combat Pretzel posted:

No Help for Data Analysts

Hopefully I don't run into these same issues. Fairly certain I will be either assuming or transitioning to a new role in the company (the CFO/COO wants me involved in "financial consolidations" because I'm the resident Excel wizard). I truly want to stop working with the massive turd of a spreadsheet we currently use and pull data dynamically from NAV but that's probably too much to ask.

Yeah, there's no way I'm getting access to the actual database files. I'm even willing to extend my Python knowledge to do read-only queries on it to generate the data needed and piss it into an Excel spreadsheet. PowerPivot? Nah, depends too much on data normalization (that other users continue, relentlessly to gently caress up).

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

It seems like the typical interdepartment in-fighting. I guess it doesn't matter that the whole company is in crisis mode. The manufacturing and sales sides of management are like "We need that poo poo stat" and the IT side of management is like "Well, when I order a car, I also need to wait for it to be built first". There's probably gonna be some back and forth on management level, haven't heard anything yet so far.

If the table was so sensitive it wouldnt have been accessible to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GI_Clutch posted:

I swear every week it's someone else not following a different procedure. Also, I can't believe I'm defending SharePoint, but it exists for a reason.

It's perfect for collaborating on MS Office documents, the shortcomings are in all the other areas.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Customer: we are seeing large latency in pops [here], [here] and [here].

Us: it’s not us. It’s [ISP] and [ISP]. Here is a bunch of data supporting our claim. If you are seeing issues within our border please supply us with trace routes and supporting data and we will troubleshoot immediately.

Customer: …

Customer: please investigate ISP issues.

Us: we cannot since we do not have an account or relationship with these ISPs. If you are seeing issues with them you should open a support case with them directly.

Customer: how do we open a single support case that involves all of our accounts?

Me [to individual customer out of channel]: asking us to “troubleshoot everything” without any supporting data to indicate it is our issue won’t work. Please provide any information at all that leads to our network being at fault. We will happily own the issue, but you have to tell us what you are seeing that leads you to believe it is us.

Us: please provide any information you have that indicates it may be us. Anything at all will help localize the issue and help us troubleshoot.

Customer:…

Customer: please contact [ISP] and [ISP] and tell us when their issue will be resolved.

GOTO 10

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

Customer: we are seeing large latency in pops [here], [here] and [here].

Us: it’s not us. It’s [ISP] and [ISP]. Here is a bunch of data supporting our claim. If you are seeing issues within our border please supply us with trace routes and supporting data and we will troubleshoot immediately.

Customer: please investigate ISP issues.

Us: we cannot since we do not have an account or relationship with these ISPs. If you are seeing issues with them you should open a support case with them directly.

Customer: how do we open a single support case that involves all of our accounts?

Me [to individual customer out of channel]: asking us to “troubleshoot everything” without any supporting data to indicate it is our issue won’t work. Please provide any information at all that leads to our network being at fault. We will happily own the issue, but you have to tell us what you are seeing that leads you to believe it is us.

Us: please provide any information you have that indicates it may be us. Anything at all will help localize the issue and help us troubleshoot.

Customer:…

Customer: please contact [ISP] and [ISP] and tell us when their issue will be resolved.

GOTO 10

This reads to me as the customer lacks technical knowledge, but his boss is yelling at them to "just get this fixed"

If I'm right, they're not being obtuse on purpose so much as they don't know how to get you the technical stuff you want, and they can't or won't get it from their peers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

If the table was so sensitive it wouldnt have been accessible to you.
There isn't even anything sensitive in it, because I can look at that data via the application on top of it, which I have access to. They just don't want me to access it directly via SQL (e.g. for bulk export or joining with other data), because reasons.

To be fair, the IT head is an AS400 guy that seems to be in over his head with all the new stuff. My boss told me he was proud as gently caress that he would be able to deliver data in ~*~*JsOn*~*~ for the very first time (they ran a query and saved it as JSON. Whooptyfuckingdoo.)

Back when discussions were had about the rewriting I mentioned earlier, their external consultant was there too. While the consultant and me were yapping about things like Node.JS, NPM and React, the IT head apparently sat there like "Yes yes, I know some of these words" (--edit: note, they're starting out web dev themselves). At least that's what I heard through the grapevine. Now that idiot wants to have a say on how I access data.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 30, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ConfusedUs posted:

This reads to me as the customer lacks technical knowledge, but his boss is yelling at them to "just get this fixed"

If I'm right, they're not being obtuse on purpose so much as they don't know how to get you the technical stuff you want, and they can't or won't get it from their peers.

I'm understanding it as the customer is having a problem that seems to be with a third party, but is demanding that Agrikk fix it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yes, and I think ConfusedUs is speculating that the customers technical ability to deal with it begins and ends with 'call Agrikk'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happiness Commando posted:

Yes, and I think ConfusedUs is speculating that the customers technical ability to deal with it begins and ends with 'call Agrikk'

Yes, this.