Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this is equivalent to what, ~500 people a day in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Freed/status/1443432772937281536

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tripperhead/status/1443408139760459777

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/InsiderAsia/status/1443207896913821701

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh wow they have America style healthcare in Hong Kong?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1443332682478465028

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Freed/status/1443117012037758982

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheRealJoshYe/status/1443241123871297539

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The memo reminds China’s gaming studios that video games are no longer apolitical “pure entertainment” but a new form of art that must highlight “a correct set of values”

quote:

History is also a landmine for game developers. Historical elements, including characters, maps and clothing, should conform with mainstream accounts. “Games can’t distort facts or deliberately provoke controversy, and historical figures with established narratives must not be refashioned,” according to the memo.

History simulation games that allow players to change history in virtual worlds will likely ring alarm bells, particularly if Japan and Nazi Germany are involved, according to the memo. The memo also points out that games which encourage players to destroy “barbarians” could be reviewed for spreading “colonialism” while games featuring Japanese warlords could be seen as glorifying “militarism” and “jingoism”.

I can't really disagree with this.

Too bad for Ubisoft and EA trying to claim that The Division and Battlefield 2042 are "apolitical" games

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/andrewneville/status/1443377679538049027?s=21

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
SG deaths fairly significant in a way since they’ve had less than 100 deaths overall, so it’s a considerable uptick too. Can’t find full info but they’re getting breakthrough deaths, though all on elderly patients with other serious issues it seems.

They’re at like 75% vaccinated I believe so it’s a fair indicator of what will likely happen in Taiwan etc once we open up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Too bad for Ubisoft and EA trying to claim that The Division and Battlefield 2042 are "apolitical" games

As has been said about other things, best to take with a grain of salt how much of these 'memos' are being taken literally or are anything but advisory.

Also lol that the idea that moral ambiguity and being able to choose to do bad things should be banned, wasn't that the standard western progressive take a few years ago?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Is this a commercial venture (of the Chinese aerospace industry)? Why would you launch commercial rocket off 18 wheelers or trains? Is the rocket fuel not going to melt the train track?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also lol that the idea that moral ambiguity and being able to choose to do bad things should be banned, wasn't that the standard western progressive take a few years ago?

i thought that was still the standard western progressive take? or at least i cant think of very many recent games that have done that and just assumed that was because developers were scared of being canceled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is this a commercial venture (of the Chinese aerospace industry)? Why would you launch commercial rocket off 18 wheelers or trains? Is the rocket fuel not going to melt the train track?

could be easier to get them in position for certain orbital insertions with less fuel so they can carry more payload

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

solid fuel boosters usually don't burn hot enough to cause damage before they're too far away

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

so communist govt recognizes gaming as an artform yet gamers deny this. hmph

(paradox going "well, poo poo")

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t like the stuff about “if it’s a girlyman/we can’t tell what the gender is immediately that’s a ban” but also it’s news about China so I’m not certain that’s accurate

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
afaik hoi4 is already not purchasable on steam in china because none of the chinas have any claims in tibet when the game starts lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i thought it was because all the warlords should be part of the kuomintang

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Look, China has a giant consumer pool and if they want access they're just going to have to start making "Communism Shooter 2022". The market has spoken!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Steam getting blocked in China has been rumored for so long, at this point Steam still working inside the wall can only be explained by Gaben having very powerful partners higher up in the party.

Also half of the Chinese Steam user have already moved their accounts to Argentina or sth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Look, China has a giant consumer pool and if they want access they're just going to have to start making "Communism Shooter 2022". The market has spoken!

it’s kind of surprising no big studio has made a FPS set during the revolution where you play alongside/under Mao or whatever, just absolutely pandering stuff but still

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's dumb as gently caress, they're video games! The whole point is to let you do whatever, even if that involves you being a horrible dickhead

indigi posted:

it’s kind of surprising no big studio has made a FPS set during the revolution where you play alongside/under Mao or whatever, just absolutely pandering stuff but still

China had a pretty varied amount of weaponry so a shooter would be pretty cool, but at the same time I feel like there's no loving way china would let a western dev release a game like that

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Sep 30, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the long march simulator when
e: never mind
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289890/
see, this is why steam is never getting banned

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

China had a pretty varied amount of weaponry so a shooter would be pretty cool, but at the same time I feel like there's no loving way china would let a western dev release a game like that

partner with a SOE! just reskin 2042 and rewrite some dialogue, it’s free money

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am pretty sure Beijing has a ban on games based on recent Chinese history. But a quick search can't find the quote on the source.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am pretty sure Beijing has a ban on games based on recent Chinese history. But a quick search can't find the quote on the source.

seems silly for the CPC to deny itself such a fantastic propaganda tool but I’m sure they’ve thought about it a lot more than I have

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

how did BF2 and BF4 get through? Chinese people loving love those games since you get to play as the PLA and they’re portrayed as on par with the us military

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FGO has weird story about summoning heroic spirits from a bunch of historical figures and the chinese version removed the names from every single one of the chinese ones and gave them generic "class" "number" names.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what does the Political Work Department of the PLA do?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

It's dumb as gently caress, they're video games! The whole point is to let you do whatever, even if that involves you being a horrible dickhead

videogames, like any media, can be used for historical revisionism and political propaganda

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

how did BF2 and BF4 get through? Chinese people loving love those games since you get to play as the PLA and they’re portrayed as on par with the us military

Operation Flashpoint: Red River, a chest-thumping jingoistic American FPS in which you play big badass Marines oo-rah kill bodies, also did well in China because it portrayed the PLA as on par with the US military, and you don't even get to play as them

IIRC it was advertised in China as 'experiencing a potential conflict from the other side' or something like that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

videogames, like any media, can be used for historical revisionism and political propaganda

https://twitter.com/JazzyDaddyDolla/status/1442853294469222400

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

seems silly for the CPC to deny itself such a fantastic propaganda tool but I’m sure they’ve thought about it a lot more than I have

If Beijing won't officially allow RPG that let you make moral/immoral choices (ala standard BioWare dial), they are not going to give you the chance to control a red army soldier to run off a cliff or starve himself to death.

No seriously, look at beginning stage of the long march, Mao wasn't even central leader at the time. There were serious disagreement between different red army officers. A few even ran off and defected to KMT. CCP doesn't want you look into the detail of that part of the history. Also Stalin only gave CCP on and off support before 49. Plus internal purges at that time was much more deadly than Cultural Revolution. It's just a big Pandora's box all around.

Taiwan is welcomed to make a game based on the civil war history though, if the Taiwanese are still interested in that part of the Chinese history, which they don't.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

it looks like an FMV out of a strategy game

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is command and conquer generals allowed in china

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The part about effeminate males and gay romance seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

military planners wanted to be able to launch ICBMs off of trains for the same reason they wanted to be able to launch them from submarines: so they could have a launch platform that moved and that the enemy wouldn't be able to have a constant target on like they can with a bunker