Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Got half a vacation and the house to myself. Is Video Game High School good? I've never seen it.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The latest talking dad gets into some of the alternate plans that they had to screw with anthony, and it's pretty wild; apparently they were this close to using an AI to deepfake his voice

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pennsylvanian posted:

Got half a vacation and the house to myself. Is Video Game High School good? I've never seen it.

It's.....not bad. I watched it many years ago and I thought it was ok, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to watch.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I think the scenes with Freddie playing as Jimmy's dad are pretty hilarious, and everything with The Law (I can NOT remember that actor's name) is amazing, but I think I agree with seaborgium. I watched it when it first came out and really enjoyed it, but I haven't gone back to it since.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

New episode. The last half hour has cinched the Daddpod as my favorite podcast right now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I'm up to Episode 56 in the beginning-to-end Patreon marathon, and I'm glad I didn't listen to Talking Dads on my first listen through the cast. Talking Dads is great, but they frequently come up with joke ideas that Anthony will later use, and I prefer having surprises come out of nowhere.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

He hosed them.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy poo poo, he hosed them.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Hey man, high level D&D and they've got a Druid in the party, it's fair game.

Honestly they should have seen it coming.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Hey man, high level D&D and they've got a Druid in the party, it's fair game.

Honestly they should have seen it coming.

Yeah, they had a chance to have an army and all kinds of crazy poo poo, but they chose therapy (and it was entertaining, but).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Huh, episode seems to be on their site but still hasn't popped up on my feed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Holy poo poo, he hosed them.

I wonder how many "deez nuts" lines were planned in case they didn't go with "dragon".

Also, LOL at getting head of Vecna'ed. Okay, not as fatal (initially :v:), but getting players to gently caress themselves so you can gently caress them is beautiful.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 8, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ep. 66 spoilers:

The Algorithm took over:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DungeonsAndDaddies/comments/pkjfti/guys_we_did_a_bad_spoiler/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ANTHONY

(ep 66) Though I will say that if they had to kill one of the dads, Glenn probably is the easiest one to lose, if for nothing else than because we don't have to have any heartbreaking scenes about a son losing their dad. There's been enough crying already dammit

I wonder if there's anything they could have done there? I imagine if they were faster on the draw, maybe they could have stopped it, they managed to burn through 2/3 of his legendary resistances in 15 seconds which is pretty rad under pressure. And props to Beth, who is on record as hating the actual game of D&D, for thinking quick under pressure in a pretty drat hard situation and doing something mechanically useful against an endgame boss; I am also playing a rogue in my first campaign, and my usual approach to situations in this ballpark is "i don't have magic so I'm just gonna be quiet and let the casters figure out what to do." I am also impressed at how calm Freddie was there. I hope they let him play an NPC or something for the finale

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 9, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ainsley McTree posted:

ANTHONY

(ep 66) Though I will say that if they had to kill one of the dads, Glenn probably is the easiest one to lose, if for nothing else than because we don't have to have any heartbreaking scenes about a son losing their dad. There's been enough crying already dammit

I wonder if there's anything they could have done there? I imagine if they were faster on the draw, maybe they could have stopped it, they managed to burn through 2/3 of his legendary resistances in 15 seconds which is pretty rad under pressure. And props to Beth, who is on record as hating the actual game of D&D, for thinking quick under pressure in a pretty drat hard situation and doing something mechanically useful against an endgame boss; I am also playing a rogue in my first campaign, and my usual approach to situations in this ballpark is "i don't have magic so I'm just gonna be quiet and let the casters figure out what to do." I am also impressed at how calm Freddie was there. I hope they let him play an NPC or something for the finale

I mean RAW (not that that matters) it’s counterspell or nothing

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am also impressed at how calm Freddie was there. I hope they let him play an NPC or something for the finale

You know Glenn is going directly to Hell to be reunited with his son and then erupt back onto the Material Plane with a magic Hell guitar or some poo poo, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know Glenn is going directly to Hell to be reunited with his son and then erupt back onto the Material Plane with a magic Hell guitar or some poo poo, right?

I dunno! Anthony seemed pretty straightforward that he wanted to create an endgame scenario where some of the players could actually die, and he seems like the type of guy to follow through on that kind of thing; if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Glenn being gone for good. Maybe a little easter egg side scene of Glenn in the afterlife, but I don't think he's coming back to affect things on the material plane

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

ANTHONY

This sounds mean, but they could have prepared better. It feels like Anthony has been trying to nudge them over the past few episodes saying "Willy has a dragon/army/nuke/etc." while all that the daddies had were their Fyre Fest joke army, a spy, and a plan that could easily, easily go wrong (and ended up not working anyway). The rest of the time they mostly spent doing therapy role-play. Freddie spent time actually beefing up his character. I'm oversimplifying what they've been trying to do, but the group has not been using its time wisely if Anthony is being 100% truthful about how he plans to conduct the endgame. I think this may have been his final warning that "The gloves are really and truly off."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

This sounds mean, but they could have prepared better. It feels like Anthony has been trying to nudge them over the past few episodes saying "Willy has a dragon/army/nuke/etc." while all that the daddies had were their Fyre Fest joke army, a spy, and a plan that could easily, easily go wrong (and ended up not working anyway). The rest of the time they mostly spent doing therapy role-play. Freddie spent time actually beefing up his character. I'm oversimplifying what they've been trying to do, but the group has not been using its time wisely if Anthony is being 100% truthful about how he plans to conduct the endgame. I think this may have been his final warning that "The gloves are really and truly off."

It also sounded like Anthony's behind-the-scenes rolls for whatever he's doing for the bad guys were pretty powerful; dunno if that affects what happened in ep 66 though

I'm also just realizing that the previous episode ended with Freddie literally saying "I hosed so good I can no longer be killed in one shot" lol. High level wizards are a bitch

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/EwaSztefka/status/1437110988520792069

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Livestream starts in 10 minutes. Free if you're a patron, $5 if not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ron's bad blunt-rolling score should have been replaced by the 20 he got while being ratatouilled by Nick Jr.

What a great podcast this is, that it can inspire such a sentence

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anthony certainly rolled with killing a character and several guards with ignited farts.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just finally caught up. Paydon's death was perfect lol.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah [most recent ep spoilers] paeden died just like he lived, supremely confident and then horribly loving up every roll. it was perfect

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it'd honestly be worse if Payden actually solo'd the dragon. There was only one way our sweet, stupid, boy could go out and that was 100% confidently saying he's awesome and then eating absolute poo poo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

New ep is up and "...and we're still playing this game?" Is an all timer

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Glenn coming back from hell was obvious, but I love that he fixed hell via Christmas music lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno! Anthony seemed pretty straightforward that he wanted to create an endgame scenario where some of the players could actually die, and he seems like the type of guy to follow through on that kind of thing; if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Glenn being gone for good. Maybe a little easter egg side scene of Glenn in the afterlife, but I don't think he's coming back to affect things on the material plane

lol

also, it occurs to me that if this is the penultimate episode, then this campaign will end on episode 69

also also this is the third actual play podcast i've listened to (and i listen to 5) where it's revealed like 50+ episodes in that nobody knew how sneak attacked work. it's a major part of the rogue's damage, it's really important!!

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2021

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I loved Beth being like "okay Anthony is taking this seriously so I should learn how to actually play this game" and then I'm pretty sure she accidentally broke it the other way because I don't think they realized sneak attack is only once per turn? Which like fair game, honest mistake when y'all have spent with years not knowing what it even was.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I loved Beth being like "okay Anthony is taking this seriously so I should learn how to actually play this game" and then I'm pretty sure she accidentally broke it the other way because I don't think they realized sneak attack is only once per turn? Which like fair game, honest mistake when y'all have spent with years not knowing what it even was.

i feel like advantage sneak attack is one of the least successful things about 5e and it's really apparent just from how commonly hosed up it is even by experienced players and DMs

(also i kinda miss the 3.5 rules where a well positioned rogue could alpha strike something to death with multiple sneak attacks per turn, now you have to be a paladin or someone with action surge to do that)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I mean she's owed a few back sneak attacks, it's fair. And it's not like they were ever really playing by the book anyway so honestly who cares

eke out posted:

i feel like advantage sneak attack is one of the least successful things about 5e and it's really apparent just from how commonly hosed up it is even by experienced players and DMs

(also i kinda miss the 3.5 rules where a well positioned rogue could alpha strike something to death with multiple sneak attacks per turn, now you have to be a paladin or someone with action surge to do that)

They should've just renamed it, "sneak attack" makes it sound like you can only do it from stealth (which is a reasonable thing to assume given what the rogue's whole archetype is). It should be called like, exploit weakness or something, you can and should be trying to get one in on every round of combat if you want to pull your weight as a rogue I feel like.

I might just be fixated on podcasts loving up sneak attack though, because I've only played one d&d campaign and my character is a rogue, so I'm used to reflexively asking "and i get a sneak attack, right?" every time i stab someone and it's always funny to me when podcast players don't realize until 1,000 hours in how the mechanic is supposed to work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean she's owed a few back sneak attacks, it's fair. And it's not like they were ever really playing by the book anyway so honestly who cares

They should've just renamed it, "sneak attack" makes it sound like you can only do it from stealth (which is a reasonable thing to assume given what the rogue's whole archetype is). It should be called like, exploit weakness or something, you can and should be trying to get one in on every round of combat if you want to pull your weight as a rogue I feel like.

I might just be fixated on podcasts loving up sneak attack though, because I've only played one d&d campaign and my character is a rogue, so I'm used to reflexively asking "and i get a sneak attack, right?" every time i stab someone and it's always funny to me when podcast players don't realize until 1,000 hours in how the mechanic is supposed to work

yea that's the core issue, it's a legacy holdover from when rogues literally did need to be in some position where they were ambushing someone or otherwise catching them off guard but the devs rightly realized 'wait that kinda sucks to make the rogue player have to always be creepin and have to justify how to use their main source of damage when everyone else can walk around normal' but then decided to keep the name and make it kinda work entirely different than how you'd expect a move called 'sneak attack' to work.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

currently on 65 and wow Anthony trying to make it not weird that they're letting an abused 8 year old commit suicide on their behalf (twice, kinda) is making it much weirder lol

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Valentin posted:

currently on 65 and wow Anthony trying to make it not weird that they're letting an abused 8 year old commit suicide on their behalf (twice, kinda) is making it much weirder lol

He’s a ~60 year old man in a homunculus body
:goonsay:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I DM a lot and getting people to understand sneak attack comes up a lot. I just try to help them out by encouraging them to think of it as "cheap shot" or "flank shot" or "sucker punch."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Part 2 is out; haven't listened to it yet but my god the title is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

continue listening to this one after the credits lol