Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

As much as I shrug off the RL as a lost cause at this point, it still amuses me that gold bordered cards are affected by it when they're not legal in any format (even commander). They're literally WotC-sanctioned proxies that they could and would still make money off of without affecting any competitive metagame (or collector value, for the hand-wringing RL defenders) but still allowing casual and kitchen table players to have "official" copies, if having self-made proxies isn't kosher with them.

Gold bordered proxies demonstrate exactly how easily the scarcity problem could be solved, and will never be done again for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

new thread title

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

If the reserve list didn't exist, I'm not totally convinced that Wizards wouldn't find a way to create it even now.

They have. Kind of. Secret Lair cards are a big "get 'em before they're gone" thing and while they're all reprints of existing cards (barring the TWD ones), they're still specially made cards that will never be made in that form again, and have some value for that reason.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
The only way the reserve list is going away is if everyone stops buying products and The Professor/CZ folks make videos every week about bees or climate change until the reserve list vanishes.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I would totally grab some chinese counterfeit duals, idgaf

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I grabbed some very nice Eldraine Adventure Themed fetch lands for a cube a while back, A+ would recommend spending $30 instead of $300 for my personal cubing use on I guess what are technically Playtest cards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually I'm thinking it would be cool to get like a counterfeit set of dual lands or power 9 to frame and display

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Silhouette posted:

People have been clamoring for a gold bordered Vintage Cube for years but wotc won't or can't do it because I'm pretty sure the RL extends to gold/silver borders as well

As noted it doesn't apply, but I would be more concerned about the art of the older cards. If I recall WotC had some lovely deals with art for older stuf like the Black Lotus and such?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As noted it doesn't apply, but I would be more concerned about the art of the older cards. If I recall WotC had some lovely deals with art for older stuf like the Black Lotus and such?

A lot of older artists had royalty deals so wizards got new art that, assumedly (I am not a lawyer, or accountant), they have perpetual rights to without having to pay the original artists every time they reprint the card.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There's no reason your playtest cards should have authentic looking card backs. Functionally indistinguishable counterfeits are objectively bad because every one comes with a percent chance that some schlub is gonna get ripped off by them. If you're just cubing or whatever then your cards don't need authentic looking backs.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

It does not.

I don't have the post handy, but in the past year maro said that gold-bordered reserved list cards that aren't tournament legal would still violate the spirit of the reserved list, so don't count on it.

Even though they did that in the past, apparently they have decided it is no good anymore.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sit on my Facebook posted:

There's no reason your playtest cards should have authentic looking card backs. Functionally indistinguishable counterfeits are objectively bad because every one comes with a percent chance that some schlub is gonna get ripped off by them. If you're just cubing or whatever then your cards don't need authentic looking backs.

pretty much where i'm at with it. heck, even a judge check probably isn't sliding your cards out of the sleeves to check the back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

What if someone wants to play monkeys without spending 320 on monkeys?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All these fine, upstanding moral paragons mail me their Monkeys, please and thank you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yes, and this is why m25 didn't use any classic art for some of the ancient reprints because they'd still have to pay the artists. Their original art deals are like by-the-card in perpetuity. They were really favorable to the artists and that's why they tried hard to change them all

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also why the mark poole secret lair with og BoP art was notable.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Standard is basically back to being unplayable.

Alrund, Goldspan and Chariot ruin the format. It's was lovely waiting so long for rotation only for the format to just go back to stinking again

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rahu posted:

I don't have the post handy, but in the past year maro said that gold-bordered reserved list cards that aren't tournament legal would still violate the spirit of the reserved list, so don't count on it.

Even though they did that in the past, apparently they have decided it is no good anymore.

I have no doubt that that's the case, but more to the point: Gold cards were discontinued 17 years ago. They ain't bringing them back.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Alrund, Goldspan and Chariot ruin the format. It's was lovely waiting so long for rotation only for the format to just go back to stinking again

my dude have you tried notable dead formats modern or legacy?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I've been playing Orzhov Midrange and have like one or two losses to Chariot. It's a dumb card with W7 but just means you need to play more instant speed removal or artifact/enchant hate, which you should really be packing for their value engines anyways.

The Goldspan into multiple time walks is incredibly dumb though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ilmucche posted:

their previous post was asking for $100 modern decks, so no lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Artifact hate is pretty easy to sideboard for Chariot, but I'm not sure what the good counters are for Goldspan (instant-speed creature removal is easy in B and available in R...) and particularly Alrund's (just counterspell effects?)

But this does seem to me like the same issue you have in any given release where there's two or three really good cards you have to account for in your deck. Am I missing something that makes these three especially hard?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

ilmucche posted:

My local LGS does only modern FNM and I inquired about budget decks a few days ago just to have something to show up and jam if I wanted to join in on that but I didn't dig too deep yet.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Artifact hate is pretty easy to sideboard for Chariot, but I'm not sure what the good counters are for Goldspan (instant-speed creature removal is easy in B and available in R...) and particularly Alrund's (just counterspell effects?)

But this does seem to me like the same issue you have in any given release where there's two or three really good cards you have to account for in your deck. Am I missing something that makes these three especially hard?

Disdainful stroke is in a really good place now for chariot, dragon, wrenn, epiphany . Soul shatter is the only other clean answer for a goldspan that I can think of.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was struggling the other night with someone who got teleportation circle out along with chariot, because I almost never maindeck enchantment removal, until I remembered that I had 4x copies of Plundering Barbarian and that I could actually chose his destroy target artifact ETB option that I use so infrequently I forgot it existed, since his job in the deck is to make treasure + be a 2/2.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

their previous post was asking for $100 modern decks, so no lol

Ahhhhh right

My local LGS does only modern FNM and I inquired about budget decks a few days ago just to have something to show up and jam if I wanted to join in on that but I didn't dig too deep yet.

If people are chill you might be able to borrow a deck for the evening until you get yours fleshed out. At my local club there are always people willing to loan one out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Answering Chariot still leaves the opponent with 4 points worth of power on the board and Goldspan Dragon very nearly refunds itself if killed with targetted removal.

Only one color can interact reasonably with Alrund's and coincidentally it's the colour that runs Alrund's

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Esika's Chariot is functionally very close to a 4 mana Grave Titan and that's very nutty in Standard

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goldspan Dragon very nearly refunds itself if killed with targetted removal.

I'm obviously very bad at this game so forgive me if I'm being dense, but it seems to be a five-mana-cost card that refunds a one-mana treasure if you target it with a removal spell? Or is the idea that they've already definitely cast it with haste at the beginning of combat and attacked with it, so it's refund two... that's still not very nearly 5?

e. oh I guess you tap and sac the treasures before the removal resolves too, so you get 4 mana, to spend in that phase. I get it.

e2. I'm confused about timing now. If you cast him during your combat phase, do I not get a chance to target him with removal before you get to declare him as an attacker?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 30, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

No, there will always be a Best Card(s) In Standard, some players would just rather complain about them than adapt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sympathetic, especially if "adapt" means "run this one or two very specific other decks", or severely compromise the deck you want to run by swapping in cards that are specifically to counter those three good cards and otherwise you never want to draw (I play Best of 1, so sideboarding them isn't an option for me), etc.

"Standard is bad" as a shorthand for "once again there's one or two Tier 0 decks in Standard and I don't particularly want to run them" is a fair take. If it's actually a shorthand for "once again, the deck I decided to build, be it a tier 2 or my own janky creation, loses 65% of matches to those one or two Tier 0 decks" then yeah that's kind of a tired played out complaint because that's... just how the game of magic: the gathering works, in pretty much every format, right?

I'm content to run my jank and lose 65% of matches because the ones I win are satisfying and fun and even when I lose, I often learn something or have a good time playing; but if you want to win consistently in Magic, you have to run one of the small number of Best Decks. Yeah?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lone Goat posted:

No, there will always be a Best Card(s) In Standard, some players would just rather complain about them than adapt.

Sometimes the "best cards" end up having to get banned because of how warping they are. Siege Rhino never had to be banned but was the best card in standard for a time. There are many examples of this. The issue is how much better than are than 2, 3, 4th best... etc.

It also doesn't help if all those card go in the same deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic has too many formats tbh

Magic has too many everything these days.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can handle Goldspan cleanly by putting up a 5/5 Treefolk token with Reach.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Leperflesh posted:

I'm obviously very bad at this game so forgive me if I'm being dense, but it seems to be a five-mana-cost card that refunds a one-mana treasure if you target it with a removal spell? Or is the idea that they've already definitely cast it with haste at the beginning of combat and attacked with it, so it's refund two... that's still not very nearly 5?

e. oh I guess you tap and sac the treasures before the removal resolves too, so you get 4 mana, to spend in that phase. I get it.

e2. I'm confused about timing now. If you cast him during your combat phase, do I not get a chance to target him with removal before you get to declare him as an attacker?

You aren't confused, he was being hyperbolic. You always have an opportunity to kill it with instants before it can be declared an attacker, so nearly refund is just not true. It is a majorly pushed card though no doubt.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

I'll always remember Amy Warfield getting really lovely with me when I replied to a tweet of hers complaining about Winota. I pointed out there's literally a one-mana instant-speed answer to it (that hit's the card's "upside"!) and she posted multiple replies about how that's a lovely rebuttal because you shouldn't have to put such niche answers in your deck or sideboard for a single card (???)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

You aren't confused, he was being hyperbolic. You always have an opportunity to kill it with instants before it can be declared an attacker, so nearly refund is just not true. It is a majorly pushed card though no doubt.

It is fair enough that if you don't have both instant removal in hand, and the mana to cast it, goldspan's treasure gen and effect can put it ahead of you in mana advantage. It also being a hasty flyer is just very good, too.

For my own part: I find I don't enjoy playing U much, I tend not to run much counterspell as a result, I play Bo1 to control my gametime commitment, and I've pretty much resigned ages ago to losing against premium decks a lot if I play ranked. So ho hum, another good card or three, doesn't worry me much. It's no Omnath.

I'm not representative of this thread's population of Magic players though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There are a ton of answers to all of the strongest cards in standard right now. Hell, the card I'm scared of isn't Wrenn, Goldspan, Chariot, or even Epiphany (though extra turn spells suck to play against). Memory Deluge is what scares the piss outta me.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
counterpoint: there are a good mix of very good decks right now and standard is actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

kalvanoo posted:

counterpoint: there are a good mix of very good decks right now and standard is actually good

I tend to share this sentiment. Yes, there are some very strong cards that are in a wide variety of decks that you need answers to, but there are a ton of different decks that use them. It's not like one or two decks dominate and there's nothing else. It's a pretty good mix right now. Yes, getting housed by super powerful cards sucks, but I can't name a single format ever that didn't have prevalent strong cards that you would roll your eyes at and you had to pack answers for.