Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Another bad aspect of the Qunari seems to be total cultural destruction of the people they conquer too? Those City Elves will definitely have materially better lives, but any chance of building something of their own or reconnecting to their past goes away, and I can't imagine the Qunari would treat the Dalish very well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Societies with utopian pretentions often get given a lot more leeway before people start to criticise their genocidal expansionism.

It feels to me like a lot of modern social tolerance is built on saying that, as imperfect societies, we are in no position to criticise each other. This isn't the same as genuinely promoting diversity.

It follows that all of our 'equally' flawed societies should tolerate each other, but genuine utopians absolutely have the right to uplift us all for our own good.

While I don't actually belive this, if you asked, say, should there be one set of laws for all mankind? I would struggle to argue not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, it’s clear that the authors of Dragon Age very much want you to sympathize with the mages, but due to either a lack of creativity or the conventions of video game writing, every plot involving a mage inevitably ends up with them exploding into a shower of demonic blood magic. This happens so many times and with such great frequency that any discerning player has to reconsider their (likely) liberal beliefs about the inherent evils of a controlled society. I think this is fascinating, and whether it’s intended as text or not, it actively challenges the player to think more deeply about how they actually would react in a world where 1/10th of the population could summon a spirit bomb whenever they were in a bad mood. You might think very differently in such a world! And that’s a good thing, a more thoughtful thing than just unquestionably supporting girlboss Leliana.

Jon of Many a True Nerd is doing a blind playthrough of the first DA and the only thing he'd remotely played before was the Mage origin (this time he went with the Noble one) and naturally thought Templars were just unquestionable oppressors and this is true, but as he continues to play the game, well...

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1441713719159910401

Khizan posted:

I think it will probably be fine, but I also liked Andromeda so I do recognize that I am in a minority here. :shrug:

*Timidly, from behind another goon* I liked Andromeda too!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lysistrata posted:

As near as i can figure, Solas does not give two crumbly shits about the elves, or about Arlathan. We know he wants to tear down the Veil, and if i had to guess why, it's because the distinction between elves/mages/people/spirits is an artificial one that he created when he put the Veil up in the first place, and Solas thinks that was a mistake.

His people arent elves. When does he ever act like elves are anything to him? His quests are about spirits. His major input is on spirits. The only time we ever see him angry enough to murder someone in cold blood, it's over what they did to a spirit. "His people" are spirits, and he wants to fix what he did that warped their reality.

Alas, for evidence I only have a bunch of reading on the Evanuris and how they are described as mages or gods or maybe both but also they have the characteristics of spirits and blah blah blah. I dont want to bore anyone with specifics. The major thing is that if Solas's people are spirits rather than elves, his actions make a lot more sense.

Also, he's right about the Qun. They dont even let you raise your own children or be married to someone there-- youre expected to visit a tamassran if you need to get off (and uh weirdly those are the ones taking care of the kids too iirc, compartmentalization of "wifehood" i guess) and breed when you're told to. Thats a bit less horrifying for a dude, i suppose... but for a woman, theyre not much better than the darkspawn that way.

quote:

"He did not want a body. But she asked him to come. He left a scar when he burned her off his face."

That's from Cole. I think your theory makes sense. Perhaps Solas was a spirit at first and took a body. We see with Cole that it is a possible thing to do.

Maybe all Ancient Elves were spirits once but they then took bodies? That would make sense as to why they were at one point immortal pre Veil and it would also make sense why Solas despises modern Elves because they've entirely lost their connection to what they once had. It also explains how Mythal can survive through the ages the way that she has and how she can inhabit a body. And it would make sense why Solas would revere ancient Elves but despise modern ones. Because ancient Elves were spirits who took bodies but maintained their immortality thanks to their connection to the Veil and origins there. Modern Elves have no connection to the Veil and maybe even sundering it wouldn't change that for them?

Using this theory Solas was most likely a powerful Spirit of Wisdom once. We know that Pride is the inverse of Wisdom and Solas = pride. That name is his own condemnation of himself. So referencing the quote above Solas starts as a Spirit of Wisdom. He's friends with Mythal, who is another spirit but in her case she took a mortal body and is one of the ancient elven gods now. She asks Solas to manifest and take a body like she has. He doesn't want to, but his respect/love/whatever for her causes him to give in and do so. But eventually Solas sees all the corruption and evil of the Elven gods and he says gently caress this and burns Mythal's Vallaslin off his face and starts his crusade. And either before or after starting that rebellion she gets betrayed and killed which leads him to his plan to form the veil which he eventually does

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 30, 2021

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dawgstar posted:

*Timidly, from behind another goon* I liked Andromeda too!

There are dozens of us!

MEA was aggressively fine and if it didn't have the bugs that it did at release, and perhaps had it not been saddled with the expectations of a Mass Effect title, it would have been better received. I enjoyed the crazy adventures of my sarcastic Ryder and her band of misfits, succeeding despite themselves. :buddy:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I liked femRyder as a character, but I thought everything else about the game was really pretty dull. Never once did it inspire the feeling of wonder and discovery that a game about travelling around a new galaxy should be aiming for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

I liked femRyder as a character, but I thought everything else about the game was really pretty dull. Never once did it inspire the feeling of wonder and discovery that a game about travelling around a new galaxy should be aiming for.

This. Commander Shepard bores me. She is Jesus McBadass, and everyone worships the ground she walks on except for the people who are obviously Bad And Wrong. I much prefer how Ryder's in so far over her head she can't see daylight, she justifiably gets zero respect from anyone at first, and she has to actively work to keep everything from going completely to poo poo as she slowly earns respect and trust along the way.

Ryder as a character is the big redeeming virtue of Andromeda to me. Shame about the rest.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Strategic Tea posted:

Societies with utopian pretentions often get given a lot more leeway before people start to criticise their genocidal expansionism.

I’m pretty sure you could do a straight name swap of Darkness at Noon set in a Qunari reeducation camp.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

That's from Cole. I think your theory makes sense. Perhaps Solas was a spirit at first and took a body. We see with Cole that it is a possible thing to do.

Maybe all Ancient Elves were spirits once but they then took bodies? That would make sense as to why they were at one point immortal pre Veil and it would also make sense why Solas despises modern Elves because they've entirely lost their connection to what they once had. It also explains how Mythal can survive through the ages the way that she has and how she can inhabit a body. And it would make sense why Solas would revere ancient Elves but despise modern ones. Because ancient Elves were spirits who took bodies but maintained their immortality thanks to their connection to the Veil and origins there. Modern Elves have no connection to the Veil and maybe even sundering it wouldn't change that for them?

Using this theory Solas was most likely a powerful Spirit of Wisdom once. We know that Pride is the inverse of Wisdom and Solas = pride. That name is his own condemnation of himself. So referencing the quote above Solas starts as a Spirit of Wisdom. He's friends with Mythal, who is another spirit but in her case she took a mortal body and is one of the ancient elven gods now. She asks Solas to manifest and take a body like she has. He doesn't want to, but his respect/love/whatever for her causes him to give in and do so. But eventually Solas sees all the corruption and evil of the Elven gods and he says gently caress this and burns Mythal's Vallaslin off his face and starts his crusade. And either before or after starting that rebellion she gets betrayed and killed which leads him to his plan to form the veil which he eventually does

The whole era prior to the Veil is weird, because Solas basically says that he views the modern society as little more then intelligent pets (weird since he viewed the 'real' elves who were slaves as pretty much dumb animals too) and spirits seem to be a weird mix of no real concept of how mortal life works or just solely guided by their one emotion to a point of potential destruction (justice in Anders). Wanting to tear down the veil and re-merge the fade and the material plane sounds like something only a fade based being would want.

I'm not really sure how it could work without society ending upheaval on a global scale, but the level design in Trespasser made it feel like the world before was basically a Fae world, where common understandings of reality didn't matter.

The real question is what about the dwarves, since they never had a fade presence at all. Is he just planning to actually genocide them? Dragon Age in general has been a little to free with their rampant expanding lore while failing to explain a lot of the core setting things, like the darkspawn, the archdemons, black/golden city, etc. Adding ancient elves into the mix is like they had a dartboard of common fantasy lore tropes for each game they just threw darts at.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

The whole era prior to the Veil is weird, because Solas basically says that he views the modern society as little more then intelligent pets (weird since he viewed the 'real' elves who were slaves as pretty much dumb animals too) and spirits seem to be a weird mix of no real concept of how mortal life works or just solely guided by their one emotion to a point of potential destruction (justice in Anders). Wanting to tear down the veil and re-merge the fade and the material plane sounds like something only a fade based being would want.

I'm not really sure how it could work without society ending upheaval on a global scale, but the level design in Trespasser made it feel like the world before was basically a Fae world, where common understandings of reality didn't matter.

The real question is what about the dwarves, since they never had a fade presence at all. Is he just planning to actually genocide them? Dragon Age in general has been a little to free with their rampant expanding lore while failing to explain a lot of the core setting things, like the darkspawn, the archdemons, black/golden city, etc. Adding ancient elves into the mix is like they had a dartboard of common fantasy lore tropes for each game they just threw darts at.

Dwarves were basically worker drones to support/live in harmony with Titans. I don't know what Solas' specific attitude towards Dwarves/Titans was, but we get glimpses of a conflict between Titans/Ancient Elves with some of the lore tidbits in Trespasser. The Ancient Elves found out about Lyrium which is basically the blood of Titans and they presumably killed/disabled Titans to try and get and use it. My guess is Solas would be against the seemingly slave-like relationship that Dwarves have with Titans but who knows.

My theory is that one of the Ancient Elven gods either created or somehow discovered Red Lyrium, and realizing its potency they decided to use it both against the Titans but also in their own wars with each other. There's a myth with Andruil about her stalking the Forgotten Ones in the Void and coming back with some Armor that made her insane. Then Mythal challenges and beats her to restore the status quo so to speak. That sounds awfully similar to Meredith. I'm guessing Andruil had some Red Lyrium infused gear which made her crazy. I don't think Andruil was the one who discovered the material though. My money is on Elgarnan who seems to be a sort of authority figure with the ancient elven pantheon. I think he discovered Red Lyrium and opted to use it for his own ends. Mythal eventually objected to this, which is what led to Elgarnan and the others murdering her. Solas created the veil not only to punish the Elven gods but also because he realized that their usage of Red Lyrium would literally destroy the world eventually if left unchecked.

This also dovetails nicely with the Magisters opening the veil and becoming blighted. The Black City is Arlathan, or if not Arlathan it's some sort of prison for both the Ancient Elven gods as well as the Blight. When the Magisters entered there, they became corrupted by the source of the Red Lyrium.

Still not sure how the Old Gods fit into all of this though since the Old Gods were allegedly the ones bating the Tevinters into trying to enter the Black City. I'd guess based on that that the Old Gods are in some way connected to the Elven Pantheon.

Sir, this is a Wendys Drivethru

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dawgstar posted:

Jon of Many a True Nerd is doing a blind playthrough of the first DA and the only thing he'd remotely played before was the Mage origin (this time he went with the Noble one) and naturally thought Templars were just unquestionable oppressors and this is true, but as he continues to play the game, well...

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1441713719159910401

I know eventually every choice either has to get quietly retconned or never really brought up again but I think freeing the mages in DAO is the fastest retcon in the entire series. I don't even think it stayed canon through Awakenings lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cythereal posted:

This. Commander Shepard bores me. She is Jesus McBadass, and everyone worships the ground she walks on except for the people who are obviously Bad And Wrong. I much prefer how Ryder's in so far over her head she can't see daylight, she justifiably gets zero respect from anyone at first, and she has to actively work to keep everything from going completely to poo poo as she slowly earns respect and trust along the way.

Ryder as a character is the big redeeming virtue of Andromeda to me. Shame about the rest.

I also appreciated the attempts they made to make Scott and Sara different. Like, okay, I didn't play Scott but I liked that Sara while she was military she was also an archaeology nerd that I don't think Scott was.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 30, 2021

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dawgstar posted:

I also appreciated the attempts they made to make Scott and Sara different. Like, okay, I didn't play Scott but I liked that Sara while she was military she was also an archaeology nerd that I don't think Scott was.

A perfect example of this is the Jaal conversation where they each get a unique line.
https://youtu.be/DwrJs7Z-12k

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Ginette Reno posted:

Sir, this is a Wendys Drivethru

... and I don't care about your order, I have to build on your theory. I have pictures!

I don't know how much of this was planned, but the murals in Trespasser give lots of hints as to what happened after the Elves fought the Titans.

First the mural showing the Titan being killed:

The circle in the centre of the Titan is the same as the orb on the left. I think that the orbs like Solas' were harvested from the Titans, along with Lyrium. The orb is what connected the Dwarves and the Titans, through a hivemind. The Evanuris took a page out of the Titans' book and started to use Lyrium and the orbs to directly control the Elves through Vallaslin:

Note the blue (lyrium) Vallaslin on their faces. This is the same as the mosaics. Unlike the Dwarf/Titan hivemind, the Evanuris were using the same process but to enslave the Elves completely. Solas rebelled against this, removing the mind-controlling Vallaslin. At the same time, the dead Titans became corrupted. This produced Red Lyrium, which drove Andruil mad. The other Evanuris discovered it as well, leading Solas to try and seal all the corruption away with Mythal's help. Mythal is then killed by the Evanuris for helping Solas and trying to stop them using Red Lyrium.

At this point Solas concluded that the only option is to wall off the corrupted Titans and the Evanuris by creating the Veil. For some reason it couldn't be completely detached, as there are seven access points. Almost all of the corruption is removed, but the Blight is still an issue (like the Red Lyrium idol). The Darkspawn are created and get the Calling in their heads, however it isn't coming from the Old Gods; it's coming from the corrupted Titans in the Black City. The Old Gods are guarding the seven gates to the Black City, so everyone thinks the Calling comes from them. The only way to break into the Black City is by destroying all seven gates, guarded by the seven dragons. This is why Solas is so terrified when he hears the Warden plan to kill the two remaining Old Gods. The mural from the teaser announcement backs up this theory.

There's a fair amount that's speculation. I'm certain however that the reason Solas despises the Qun so much is it's nearly identical to the one he rebelled against: The rulers are actively brainwashing the population and commanding them to only obey. There is no free will or choice, which would be awful to a being that pursues wisdom. That's why he refers to Bull (if the Chargers die) as 'a mindless, soulless drone'. Who knows, perhaps Koslun found an Evanuris orb and used it in the same way.

It also explains why he doesn't like the Dalish; the Vallaslin weren't just slave markings, they were used to literally mind-control the Elves. Seeing Dalish proudly sporting something like that (and it being pretty much the only thing they've kept) has got to grate on the guy who specifically rebelled because of it.

If only there was another game, so some of these theories could be tested... I think it's been three years since the teaser announcement on DA4.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 30, 2021

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

But not every awful form of government is fascist.
The literal definition of facism is “a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.”

We could split hairs about it, but the Qun hews pretty drat close.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Plucky Brit posted:

It also explains why he doesn't like the Dalish; the Vallaslin weren't just slave markings, they were used to literally mind-control the Elves. Seeing Dalish proudly sporting something like that (and it being pretty much the only thing they've kept) has got to grate on the guy who specifically rebelled because of it.

If only there was another game, so some of these theories could be tested... I think it's been three years since the teaser announcement on DA4.

Good stuff. That all makes sense. Using Red Lyrium will obviously produce more potent slaves as well so it would make sense why the Evanuris would use it. But of course nobody would be immune to its corruption and even the Evanuris would likely get driven batshit by it over time. So creating the veil was not just punishing them for killing Mythal but also was literally necessary to prevent it from overwhelming and destroying the world.

I still can't neatly fit the Old Gods into all of this. Are they guardians that are propping the veil up? Or were they somehow imprisoned by Solas and used to help form the veil. Dragons are closely connected to the ancient Elven Gods. There's a blurb in one of the games about an elf getting punished for daring to take the form of the divine (ie, shapeshifting into a Dragon). So we know they're an ancient symbol of power for the Elves. But I dunno what explicit connection they have to the whole mythology.

It would be a very Solas thing to do to put up the veil and have it be reliant on Dragons which can be corrupted by Darkspawn or simply found and slain by adventurers. That's the sort of shortsightedness our egg is fond of.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It'll be very funny if it turns out Solas was the Maker all along

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

The literal definition of facism is “a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.”

We could split hairs about it, but the Qun hews pretty drat close.

Well, even if we used that definition - which I've never heard before - the Qun is ruled by a triumvirate, not a dictator. and said trio each represents one-third of the Qunari system, the Arishok being the leader solely of the military for example. As we see should he survive, he can be stripped of his authority.

Regardless, I think everything in your definition describes the Roman Empire as much as it describes Fascist Italy.

And fascism is a hotly debated subject among historians. I dunno where you got your definition from but this is my source:

https://www.libraryofsocialscience.com/ideologies/resources/griffin-the-palingenetic-core/

quote:

The broad area of scholarly consensus9 which now exists, admittedly one with highly fuzzy boundaries, is that: fascism is best approached as a genuinely revolutionary, trans-class form of anti-liberal, and in the last analysis, anticonservative nationalism. As such it is an ideology deeply bound up with modernization and modernity, one which has assumed a considerable variety of external forms to adapt itself to the particular historical and national context in which it appears, and has drawn on a wide range of cultural and intellectual currents, both left and right, anti-modern and pro-modern, to articulate itself as a body of ideas, slogans, and doctrine. In the inter-war period it manifested itself primarily in the form of an elite-led ‘armed party’ which attempted, mostly unsuccessfully, to generate a populist mass movement through a liturgical style of politics and a programme of radical policies which promised to overcome the threat posed by international socialism, to end the degeneration affecting the nation under liberalism, and to bring about a radical renewal of its social, political and cultural life as part of what was widely imagined to be the new era being inaugurated in Western civilization. The core mobilizing myth of fascism which conditions its ideology, propaganda, style of politics, and actions is the vision of the nation’s imminent rebirth from decadence.

[...]

It should be stressed that the ground for the ‘new consensus’ which emerged in the 1990s (and which is far from being a ‘school of thought’) was thoroughly prepared by a handful of particularly influential attempts to formulate a general theory of fascism published over the previous fifteen years by a number of scholars, notably Eugen Weber, Zeev Sternhell, G. L. Mosse, and three contributors to the present volume, Juan J. Linz, A. James Gregor, and, above all, Stanley Payne. Secondly, it is a consensus which so far exists principally in the Anglophone social sciences, and even within these its hegemony is, as in academic debates over any generic concepts, not only far from complete but destined to remain so.

The rule by a wise aristocracy, the elimination of families and private property, these things do not exist in any fascist state ever but they are clearly laid out in Plato's Republic.

If you wanna call it totalitarian, I think that be much closer to the mark.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 30, 2021

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Ginette Reno posted:

I still can't neatly fit the Old Gods into all of this. Are they guardians that are propping the veil up? Or were they somehow imprisoned by Solas and used to help form the veil.

I'm pretty sure that they're the Forgotten/Forbidden Ones. They were imprisoned by Solas in the form of dragons to guard the entrances to the Black City, but want to be free and so taught humans blood magic. This eventually led to the Magisters breaking whatever seals that Solas built when they entered the Black City, leading to the first Blight. I think that once the archdemon is destroyed by a Grey Warden, the soul is severed from the Darkspawn but not destroyed outright, much like Mythal or Corypheus. It's a stretch, but the freed souls/spirits could be the powerful demons like Gaxkang and Imshael. It would explain why Imshael was so good at manipulating Red Lyrium.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

NikkolasKing posted:

Regardless, I think everything in your definition describes the Roman Empire as much as it describes Fascist Italy.

I sincerely doubt this: the Roman empire was an imperialistic state for sure but it did not have an all-encompassing ideology or movement that exalts the nation or any race above the individual. The Roman Empire was even famed for its pluralism and hands-off approach to many of its subjects, something the qun is quite explicitly not...

Perhaps the closest real-world analogy for the qun I can think of (except Plato's thought experiments) that's not outright fascism, would be the Spartan polis. Sure, you had two kings of sorts, and checks and balances amongst the elite, and a famed ideology / propaganda of being egalitarian. but scratch under the surface and you have indoctrination via ritualistic abuse of the young Spartans, and a massive underclass of helots who are conveniently left out of the picture to push an egalitarian image to the outside world. Even assuming the helot underclass doesn't exist in the qun / the narrative they present to the outside world is representative of their society from the very top to bottom, life for the spartan upper class was decidedly tough and hinged on putting young spartans through the wringer of an abusive upbringing away from their families so they'd be indoctrinated.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There is no real world society that looks quite like the Qun, but it is remarkably close to how real life militaries are structured. Your job is chosen for you by your aptitude, your entire life (for the duration of enlistment) is devoted to the service, you must follow orders above all else. It's not perfect but it's the closest real world analogy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm pretty sure that they're the Forgotten/Forbidden Ones. They were imprisoned by Solas in the form of dragons to guard the entrances to the Black City, but want to be free and so taught humans blood magic. This eventually led to the Magisters breaking whatever seals that Solas built when they entered the Black City, leading to the first Blight. I think that once the archdemon is destroyed by a Grey Warden, the soul is severed from the Darkspawn but not destroyed outright, much like Mythal or Corypheus. It's a stretch, but the freed souls/spirits could be the powerful demons like Gaxkang and Imshael. It would explain why Imshael was so good at manipulating Red Lyrium.

Rather than Gaxkang or enemies like that, I think the Architect is the key to this.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's good to remember the qunari revolve around a philosophy born in a culture of escaped slaves and is ultimately built on the needs of outsiders and pariahs in a world that's very hostile to them. Moralizing about the qun isn't very constructive towards picking apart what makes them interesting and appealing because it's very much a society and ideology that makes sense in its context and clearly provides fundamentally radical positives to those who join it who can't exist anywhere else as welcome members of society, which is at the true heart of utopian social projects like it. Not all-encompassing utopistic but a society that works and is more structurally kind to people for whom its impossible to exist as people given worth in social systems conventional for the setting at large.

I would love a qunari party member eventually who isn't a part of the army or military intelligence sometime. Like a qunari who's just a dude and wouldn't be suited for functioning in the Fereldan or Orlesian societal dynamics at all. Soldiers and spies are so inherently compatible with the conventional needs of military organizations that people like the Warden and the Inquisitor are a part of that someone like Sten or Bull find relatable ground with ease despite the seemingly alien philosophy. They can thrive in the environments they find themselves in based on merit alone unlike I imagine the vast majority of their society.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nina posted:

I would love a qunari party member eventually who isn't a part of the army or military intelligence sometime. Like a qunari who's just a dude and wouldn't be suited for functioning in the Fereldan or Orlesian societal dynamics at all. Soldiers and spies are so inherently compatible with the conventional needs of military organizations that people like the Warden and the Inquisitor are a part of that someone like Sten or Bull find relatable ground with ease despite the seemingly alien philosophy. They can thrive in the environments they find themselves in based on merit alone unlike I imagine the vast majority of their society.

What are they going to do, though? Party members have to have a certain baseline level of skill to be believable as party members, and anybody who has that level of skill has merit enough to get by with merit alone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Khizan posted:

What are they going to do, though? Party members have to have a certain baseline level of skill to be believable as party members, and anybody who has that level of skill has merit enough to get by with merit alone.

Not if they were assigned to be a baker but it turns out their true talent is in poisons.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Khizan posted:

Refugees / escapees, throw in some dialogue about how they escaped with a group and the ones who made it are the tough as nails ones who had to survive in hard circumstances if you need to justify some skills as a rogue or w/e

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Refugees / escapees, throw in some dialogue about how they escaped with a group and the ones who made it are the tough as nails ones who had to survive in hard circumstances if you need to justify some skills as a rogue or w/e

You mean a Tal-Vashoth? I got the impression Nina wanted a regular qunari, not a rebel but also not a soldier or spy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nina posted:

It's good to remember the qunari revolve around a philosophy born in a culture of escaped slaves and is ultimately built on the needs of outsiders and pariahs in a world that's very hostile to them. Moralizing about the qun isn't very constructive towards picking apart what makes them interesting and appealing because it's very much a society and ideology that makes sense in its context and clearly provides fundamentally radical positives to those who join it who can't exist anywhere else as welcome members of society, which is at the true heart of utopian social projects like it. Not all-encompassing utopistic but a society that works and is more structurally kind to people for whom its impossible to exist as people given worth in social systems conventional for the setting at large.

I gotta say that Sten, a guy that ruthlessly murdered an entire family with his bare hands after he couldn't find his sword, was not suited for functioning in Fereldan society at all.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Are qunari -the species- naturally better at magic? Saarebas are consistently the most powerful enemy mages whenever they appear and they get no training, right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

wologar posted:

Are qunari -the species- naturally better at magic? Saarebas are consistently the most powerful enemy mages whenever they appear and they get no training, right?

I think they get lots of training to be a weapon but they also live their lives in chains and have their tongues cut out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shugojin posted:

I think they get lots of training to be a weapon but they also live their lives in chains and have their tongues cut out

I was scratching my head at this because one of the best parts of DA2 involves a conversation with a Saarebas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOhAZCiMpY

(This conversation with Ketojan was what originally piqued my interest in the Qun. It's so good)

According to the wiki, "If found practicing forbidden magic, their tongues are cut out to prevent them from corrupting others"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

So does that make you a more powerful mage or not? Does it dampen or improve a Vashoth's magical ability?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So does that make you a more powerful mage or not? Does it dampen or improve a Vashoth's magical ability?

From what we know of magic in dragon age it doesn't have any verbal components so it doesn't seem to matter, cutting out the tongue just keeps them from talking to other people. Also I guess they don't always do it but mages are still deeply otherized to a level beyond the Circle bullshit.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

I was scratching my head at this because one of the best parts of DA2 involves a conversation with a Saarebas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOhAZCiMpY

(This conversation with Ketojan was what originally piqued my interest in the Qun. It's so good)

According to the wiki, "If found practicing forbidden magic, their tongues are cut out to prevent them from corrupting others"

Everything about him screamed 'joinable NPC' to me, boy was I wrong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they were planned at one point.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Man, DA2 was so good. Easily the best in the series. Hope it gets a remaster one of these days.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Man, DA2 was so good. Easily the best in the series. Hope it gets a remaster one of these days.

Let's not get crazy, they do still force the worst two mage companions in the series on you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A Dragon Age Legendary Edition remaster has to happen sometime, right? Right? DAO and DAI sold and reviewed well. And while DA2 had lots of haters, it never blew up the Internet like ME3 did so even that shouldn't hold back considerations of a DA Trilogy remaster any more than ME3 did ME LE.

Apart from it being a scifi RPG which is rarer than a Medieval Europe RPG, I've never understood why Mass Effect was the bigger, more popular BW series. Call me bitter but this is all I can think about with all the renewed ME discourse. I'd love to have that for DA, too. It deserves it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think for one it was easier to get into, but then also because of the fixed protagonist/crew, people easily became attached to their Shepard and wanted new adventures with that character. DA has a harder hook with the protagonist always changing. And I mean while I love DAO's gameplay...it is very much an acquired taste and was an anachronism even at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

A DA trilogy remaster would be an instant buy from me. Part of the reason I keep my PS3 hooked up is that I have such a crappy PC that its the only way to play the first two games.

NikkolasKing posted:

Apart from it being a scifi RPG which is rarer than a Medieval Europe RPG, I've never understood why Mass Effect was the bigger, more popular BW series.

guns