Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ihop posted:

Yeah my last couple games the AI popped the cluster probably 25+ years before I would have gotten around to it.

Just had to Status Quo a war I was easily winning when a neutral empire decided to close their borders for a month while 2/3 of my fleets were traversing them, sending the ships off into the ether for seven loving years. I'll have a whole new bigger fleet built by the time they return. I don't play MP but this feels like it could be used for a devastating betrayal against a soon-to-be-conquered neighbor.

It's very deliberate, you shouldn't be warring through other empires unless they're subjects or allies.
Unrelatedly, if you devour an entire planet it evacuates all the pops, including the ones you're using as food back to your empire's capital. Which has the hilarious effect of increasing crime to 100% as the non-hivemind pops desperately try to avoid being eaten on a planet that is essentially made of teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's very deliberate, you shouldn't be warring through other empires unless they're subjects or allies.
Unrelatedly, if you devour an entire planet it evacuates all the pops, including the ones you're using as food back to your empire's capital. Which has the hilarious effect of increasing crime to 100% as the non-hivemind pops desperately try to avoid being eaten on a planet that is essentially made of teeth.
*hastily assembles new "dogscape" empire*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-226-custodians-next-steps.1493021/

3.2 coming November and open beta testing for Custodian updates might be a thing

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So following the Fanatic Purifier declaring itself the crisis, all of the FEs declared war on it and promptly gave it a smackdown, destroying the Aethersopheric engine. But they didn't get the Star Destroyers, so after the FEs peaced out with a Humiliate victory the Purifier went right back to blowing up suns and managed to rebuild the Engine.

Right then was when the AI standing between my Federation and the Purifier decided to declare war on all of us at once. Luckily I had just pulled my fleets back from the northern front (the Purifier took a wormhole early and owned both sides of the core) for a refit, so was able to beat them down and open a path to the Purifier.

Then the Khan arose right in the middle of Purifier territory, and the FEs declared war on it again. While it was otherwise occupied I jumped my fleets onto its capital and destroyed the Engine for a second time - which nets you a nice haul of resources, incidentally.

It's now 2380, the war is finally in its mopping up phase, and generations of my pops have known nothing but constant war against an enemy that wants to remove them from existence. Large swathes of the galaxy are now black holes, and rebuilding is going to take decades. I sure hope the end game year isn't soon*.

*it's soon.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

*hastily assembles new "dogscape" empire*

the game has no idea how to deal with it, there are four "deviant drones" running around that are really just various species disguised as crystalline monsters while the rest of those species get eaten
in four or five years when i've eaten everyone else i'm curious if they'll get purged or if they'll be "safe"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my pacifist plant people who turn all their planets into tropical paradises on which they just want to grow lots of space potatoes were just elected Galactic Custodians. what a bunch of no-hopers.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So my Void Dwellers run is going well, been wondering about the Ascension Path to take, should i take Biological or Robotic?

I guess Robotic since that would allow me to use my pops everywhere but I found the Omnicodex so I get free pops every now and then so I was wondering if I shouldn't just go Biological instead.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you go synthetic and use the codex you can assimilate the free pops into robots. I went synthetic because then I can tear down the hydroponics and replace them with other stuff.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I keep wanting to go biological because going synthetic gets rid of the amazing void dweller trait. But clone vats are just so bad and getting to assimilate everyone is so nice.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Take psionic, embrace the randomness of the Void.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, StarTech defeated me. I've restarted on Captain. Trying to keep up with 90k+ neighbors while my own fleets barely made 10k (everything is totals, of course), was a deeply unfun experience. Seems the recent AI-improvements made StarTech jump enormously in difficulty, and I just can't deal with this! Last patch, the AI was kind of sedate even on Commodore, now it's both super-aggressive and hyper-competitive. There are people who like this kind of thing, but I sure as hell don't. Welp. :shrug:

If this Captain-run fails too, I may even be forced to just delete the mod. A slightly sluggish AI is better than one constantly forcing me into a wild space cold war arms race

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

Ugh, StarTech defeated me. I've restarted on Captain. Trying to keep up with 90k+ neighbors while my own fleets barely made 10k (everything is totals, of course), was a deeply unfun experience. Seems the recent AI-improvements made StarTech jump enormously in difficulty, and I just can't deal with this! Last patch, the AI was kind of sedate even on Commodore, now it's both super-aggressive and hyper-competitive. There are people who like this kind of thing, but I sure as hell don't. Welp. :shrug:

If this Captain-run fails too, I may even be forced to just delete the mod. A slightly sluggish AI is better than one constantly forcing me into a wild space cold war arms race
Try putting it on Scaling Difficulty so you still have some ramp up time after the 40 year window. You still have to have a fleet but you wont need an absolutely massive one right away.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My main early goal in startech games is to build a big enough fleet to impress someone into a defensive pact, at which point I can cut the fleet budget for research and economic expansion.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Why not just go down to ensign if captain's too difficult?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah if the base game AI is good enough to render a difficulty mod unnecessary I would consider that a massively good thing, not sure what the issue is honestly.

Also yeah I'm curious about scaling AI and what kind of experience it is now, I might have to try it on my next game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Scaling AI is good. Everyone blobs out they way they should early but you’re not pressured to go max military from jump least you get swamped.

Then late game the bonuses keep the AI competitive and actually provide a challenge , or at least more of one. You’re still going to steam roll if you snowballed in the mid game.

I’m liking scaling admiral.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm so much for an early Gaia - the final baol site is in the system with the tiyanki matriarch.

I don't remember how much fleet strength I'd need for that - I guess around 20k, more to do it safely? I have access to the curator for the boost.

I am gearing up for a war soonish so that's not too bad, but I'm low on planets in my region so it would've been very nice.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Adenoid Dan posted:

Hmm so much for an early Gaia - the final baol site is in the system with the tiyanki matriarch.

I don't remember how much fleet strength I'd need for that - I guess around 20k, more to do it safely? I have access to the curator for the boost.

I am gearing up for a war soonish so that's not too bad, but I'm low on planets in my region so it would've been very nice.

20k stacked with energy weapons and the curator buff will see you right.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

20k stacked with energy weapons and the curator buff will see you right.

Great, thanks.

Lucked into the corvette focus trait right before gearing up so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So after the Khan was beaten, primarily by the Grey Tempest flooding out of the L-Cluster into gates conveniently located primarily in his territory, the L-Cluster was conquered and the galaxy, for a moment, was at peace.

It was at this point that the Fallen Empires chose to wake up and initiate the War in Heaven, demanding that the war-weary younger races joined in the fight. As one, they said:

"NO, AND gently caress YOU"

Everyone, aside from a one planet minor, joined the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, and will now proceed to kick the poo poo out of the FEs.

Guys, I don't want to tempt fate, but excluding the borked reinforcement mechanism I think Stellaris might be good now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

Guys, I don't want to tempt fate, but excluding the borked reinforcement mechanism I think Stellaris might be good now.
Whelp, now you did it, we're doomed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey all my monkey's paws curled into fists at once, anyone know what's up with that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Why not just go down to ensign if captain's too difficult?

Commdore. Commodore under StarTech was too difficult. Though "difficult" is kind of a misnomer. Difficult would be if you had more ways to victory then just "make more ships" and your enemies would be competent enough to challenge you even on peace fronts. But in my experience, StarTech AIs are strangely eager to go for each other's throat at zero times flat. Which to be fair, does make the galaxy feel more lively. I'm just raising an eyebrow when my peaceful peacenik neighbors, who are heavily into being left alone, suddenly deploy a 90k fleet to mid-game smash their equally peace-loving neighbors. It feels more like fighting intelligent robots than fighting the actual robot empires. Kind of immersion breaking, imho. :shrug:

Anyway, I gave the mod a last chance and set it down to Captain. If it works for cool stories, I'm satisfied. If not, I'll try something more exotic like scaling difficulties next to see if it makes a difference.

It's not like I'm stopping to play anytime soon. (2672,2 hours on Steam at the time of this post.)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the idea behind StarTech has always been that the AIs would act like players in a multiplayer game instead of roleplaying. glavius AI was always the choice for retaining the "personalities" of AI empires while still making them better at the economy and somewhat more inclined to go to war. it sounds like the vanilla AI is maybe much closer in challenge/performance/etc. to glavius than it was before this patch, which is nice since glavius finally hung up his hat on trying to keep his tweaks working while the game changed around them a few months ago.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the idea behind StarTech has always been that the AIs would act like players in a multiplayer game instead of roleplaying. glavius AI was always the choice for retaining the "personalities" of AI empires while still making them better at the economy and somewhat more inclined to go to war. it sounds like the vanilla AI is maybe much closer in challenge/performance/etc. to glavius than it was before this patch, which is nice since glavius finally hung up his hat on trying to keep his tweaks working while the game changed around them a few months ago.

Now that's confusing, because I remember this thread harping on things being actually the exact opposite, with Glavius being hard-core battle AI bullshit and StarTech the version that's less extreme, but still upgrades the AI

I went out of my way to avoid Glavius because of this

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libluini posted:

Now that's confusing, because I remember this thread harping on things being actually the exact opposite, with Glavius being hard-core battle AI bullshit and StarTech the version that's less extreme, but still upgrades the AI

i think either someone got them mixed up while writing a post or you read a post backwards because that's definitely not the case

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Libluini posted:

that's roughly how starnet compares to startech

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I yo-yo'd too hard on consumer goods after a major conquest. I was invited to a war right as I picked up Nihilistic Acquisition, abducted two entire civilizations and couldn't build fast enough to give them jobs and consumer goods, got a lot of the extra upkeep popups so was deep in the red. I overdid it by a lot, apparently, because I ended up +130 consumer goods around when I finished the tech for a third civic. Decided to try out Decadent Lifestyle.

Consumer goods didn't go down. Decadent Lifestyle basically just pays for itself. Maybe part of it is that I have Meritocracy and Masterful Crafters so my artificers have very high output to begin with, but dang. This was just an across the board output boost due to the stability increase.

(I also re-designated my consumer goods specialized planet to Industrial to switch some of the goods to alloys)

Edit: Do criminal branch offices not cost influence? This rear end in a top hat is on the other side of the galaxy and is spamming me with them. GET EM PSI COPS.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 1, 2021

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I mean, part of what's always bothered me about standard 4X AI is that they aren't believable empires. The issue is that believable empires act a lot more like players in a multiplayer game: if they can take a thing with limited risk then they will absolutely take that thing regardless of their rhetoric. Empires are, historically speaking, colossal assholes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

i think either someone got them mixed up while writing a post or you read a post backwards because that's definitely not the case
Are you sure? Because I have been playing with StarTech for months now and the way you described it is not how I would describe it at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

My understanding is:
Glavius is vanilla AI++
StarNet (? I think that's what it's called) is pew pew murderbot multiplayer sim
StarTech is StarNet but with a 30/40 year delay before going full pew pew murderbot, which has knock on effects beyond that time since everyone has had a chance to tech up and ally up and entrench first.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 1, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Commdore. Commodore under StarTech was too difficult. Though "difficult" is kind of a misnomer. Difficult would be if you had more ways to victory then just "make more ships" and your enemies would be competent enough to challenge you even on peace fronts. But in my experience, StarTech AIs are strangely eager to go for each other's throat at zero times flat. Which to be fair, does make the galaxy feel more lively. I'm just raising an eyebrow when my peaceful peacenik neighbors, who are heavily into being left alone, suddenly deploy a 90k fleet to mid-game smash their equally peace-loving neighbors. It feels more like fighting intelligent robots than fighting the actual robot empires. Kind of immersion breaking, imho. :shrug:

Anyway, I gave the mod a last chance and set it down to Captain. If it works for cool stories, I'm satisfied. If not, I'll try something more exotic like scaling difficulties next to see if it makes a difference.

It's not like I'm stopping to play anytime soon. (2672,2 hours on Steam at the time of this post.)

No I mean why is captain the last chance? Why not try ensign? It's not like the vanilla AI will ever challenge you on peace fronts either.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deuce posted:

Edit: Do criminal branch offices not cost influence? This rear end in a top hat is on the other side of the galaxy and is spamming me with them. GET EM PSI COPS.

they do but the AI is generally either hilariously wasteful with influence or doesn't spend it at all, depending on how it's feeling, the phase of the moon, etc.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I have a corvette fleet with a speed rating of 929.

They do not have afterburners.

The admiral is Psychic, Brain Slugged, Gale Force, and Aggressive. Have a shroud boon of +40% ship speed and the gas edict. The corvettes have dark matter thrusters.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 2, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What do you do when the AI just won't give up? Like they're 100% occupied buuuuuuuuuuttttttt:

I guess I'm occupying someone's claims or something? They have no planets, no fleet etc....Just console command them to give up?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What do you do when the AI just won't give up? Like they're 100% occupied buuuuuuuuuuttttttt:

I guess I'm occupying someone's claims or something? They have no planets, no fleet etc....Just console command them to give up?

If you have everything occupied, status quo will give you everything you have claims on, so it's functionally the same as making them surrender.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

binge crotching posted:

If you have everything occupied, status quo will give you everything you have claims on, so it's functionally the same as making them surrender.

Unless the enemy is in multiple wars, and some of their territory is occupied by the third-party empire(s) that aren't listed as being your ally in this war.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

silentsnack posted:

Unless the enemy is in multiple wars, and some of their territory is occupied by the third-party empire(s) that aren't listed as being your ally in this war.

Yes that is what's happening. Enemy is fighting three wars apparently (I thought my allies joined my war). I could just peace out, but don't really want my ally (who's got equivalent power to me right now) annexing half the galaxy.

Guess I could peace out and gobble up a Fallen Empire by the time the AI finishes its war.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Splicer posted:

My understanding is:
Glavius is vanilla AI++
StarNet (? I think that's what it's called) is pew pew murderbot multiplayer sim
StarTech is StarNet but with a 30/40 year delay before going full pew pew murderbot, which has knock on effects beyond that time since everyone has had a chance to tech up and ally up and entrench first.
The StarNet friendship patch is a good way to return the AI to more of a vanilla diplomacy approach while still being actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

yikes! posted:

that's roughly how starnet compares to startech

Oh yeah, I was thinking about starnet, sorry.

Totally forgot that there was a third AI-mod in the wild

Edit:

ShadowHawk posted:

The StarNet friendship patch is a good way to return the AI to more of a vanilla diplomacy approach while still being actually good.

This looked exactly what I wanted, until I stumbled across the line:

Mod posted:

Want to have the convenience of never being attacked by non-genocidals.

Because that sounds like it's going too far into the other extreme now. gently caress!

With modders I never know if they're totally serious or just joking, but gently caress it, I'll put this one in my backlog just in case Captain StarNet doesn't work out.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 2, 2021