Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Cool. Terrible, death-filled winters for the foreseeable future. Covid cases keep happening at the high school. Feels like it's all just a matter of time.

Due for booster in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

has anyone played the roxanne drinking game? you put roxanne on and take a sip of your drink every time they sing the word "roxanne". i'm doing that rn but with pfizer shots

another fun one i was introduced to at a party is the thunderstruck drinking game. you start on the first "thunder!" and the first person chugs until the next "thunder!" comes up then the next person chugs and so on.

it's great because one person gets totally hosed when the guitar solo kicks in

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Been thinking a little more about this study regarding IV injections of the mRNA vaccines having the ability to cause myopericarditis in mice

One part that stuck out to me is that if the first injection was IV and the second was done properly via IM, it still caused heart inflammation!

quote:

The histological changes of myopericarditis after the first IV-priming dose persisted for 2 weeks and were markedly aggravated by a second IM- or IV-booster dose.

Does this mean if you got a second shot or booster shot that was accidentally IV, could the risk of myopericarditis from a natural infection subsequently be raised? So basically you could be a ticking time bomb and not know it?

Can any of the medical or medical adjacent goons in this thread postulate on whether that could be the case? I don't have any clue whether there is reason to believe the underlying biological/immunological mechanisms for heart inflammation would be similar enough to be a concern.

Ugh, this is stressing me out. :(

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Plank Walker posted:

has anyone played the roxanne drinking game? you put roxanne on and take a sip of your drink every time they sing the word "roxanne". i'm doing that rn but with pfizer shots

there's the casablanca drinkin' game where you put on casablanca and take a drink whenever bogart does

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

WampaLord posted:

another fun one i was introduced to at a party is the thunderstruck drinking game. you start on the first "thunder!" and the first person chugs until the next "thunder!" comes up then the next person chugs and so on.

it's great because one person gets totally hosed when the guitar solo kicks in

yeah we always called that "thunderfucked"

the roxanne one is fun because there's like exactly one point in the song where he DOESN'T say roxanne but you think he's gonna and you can point and laugh at the noob who drinks by accident during that part

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
nm;

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Thoguh posted:

Naw as someone with a seven week old it's really hosed up and even people that say they're gonna like stand outside masked are 100% going to try and hold your baby.

One of her grandma's (my wife's mom) is here right now and had agreed to quarantine at her own mother's place for two weeks after her flight and take a couple of COVID tests during that time and she did but then when she's here's she keeps offhand mentioning all the shopping they did or poo poo like "We went to Arby's and I can't believe how many people were bringing their little kids there, no way they were vaccinated" and I'm sorry excuse me you were eating inside at an Arby's last week while telling me that you were quarantining?

But she mainlines CNN so she completely earnestly thinks she's doing everything she's supposed to and did nothing wrong. Between my parent's and my wife's parents we have three flavors of Boomer democrats. Her mom watches CNN like 10 hours a day. My parents listen to NPR 24/7, and her dad and stepmom religiously watch the morning network shows and the evening local news. And they all got their vaccines and mask up when they are here because we ask them to (the grandparents are the only people we allow over) but are shopping to their heart's content and eating indoors at bars and restaurants because that's what the news is telling them they're supposed to be doing.

this blows my mind like if we found out that someone who was supposed to have been quarantining to come see us had eaten indoors we'd kick them out in a heartbeat idc if they'd flown in or whatever. no mercy

i wish my loving toddler could get vaccinated!!!!!!! aaghghghghhg

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my parents just let me know they are still in a hardcore lockdown. they convinced a relative that they should cancel the annual family reunion again this year. unsolicited they strongly advised that we should get a bidet. they have told several more sets of relatives who wanted to visit to gently caress off. they have convinced their doctor to schedule an mRNA booster to thier J&J shot. they’ve begun stocking up on beans again because of the supply chain problems and empty shelves.

dad if you’re reading this thread you can just tell me.

beyond jealous you got those parents

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Sunny Side Up posted:

i wish my loving toddler could get vaccinated!!!!!!! aaghghghghhg

ngl the stress is starting to get to me!!!!!

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

lol
this needs to be a smilie

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
my ex is pissed I signed my kids up for weekly tests through the school district because "keeping them in a constant state of fear is not good for their mental health"

what the gently caress is wrong with people

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Toddlers eat dirt and dirt kills covid in vitro.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Louisgod posted:

my ex is pissed I signed my kids up for weekly tests through the school district because "keeping them in a constant state of fear is not good for their mental health"

Projection.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

beyond jealous you got those parents

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Louisgod posted:

you see, if you show the virus that you are just going to live your life then it will change its mind and find something else to do

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

glad to see my state continues its long tradition of being a glowing warning sign of what not to do.

bunch of rugged individualist mid westerners consistently making the dumbest decisions.

gotta have our full stadium in person football, restaurants at full capacity, no mask mandates and no masks being worn in most stores.

my sister has a small out doors wedding coming up and after that im refusing every single family event, these people haven't even boostered yet.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

sonatinas posted:

you see, if you show the virus that you are just going to live your life then it will change its mind and find something else to do

it owns because she also texted "we have taken every COVID precaution asked of us" but she's not vaccinated and she brought our kids to a maskless birthday party this last Sunday lmao loving hell please kill me

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:lmao:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rubby posted:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6ZyM06m.gif[[/img]

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Feeling all kinds of solidarity with every parent throughout history.

Penguin shirt when?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Has anyone been able to successfully get a 3rd Moderna in King or Snohomish county at a public health site? Does Washington have a centralized database?

Even though I have an FF-402 I'm still terrified of the idea of walking inside a pharmacy. Really hoping I can get the booster at a drive-through clinic, but it feels like the Max Titers route won't work since we'd theoretically have our licenses on us. Still a bit afraid to check the immunocompromised box in case it gets held against us by insurance in the future.

I'll never understand the logic of most vaccination sites being indoors, it seems like such a massive and obvious oversight.
I'm getting Moderna for my next jab and I only see it at pharmacies in the King area. Just bane-mask up and get your jab, it'll be fine. I went into a lovely CVS for my third pfizer jab with my half mask on, in and out within minutes

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Has anyone been able to successfully get a 3rd Moderna in King or Snohomish county at a public health site? Does Washington have a centralized database?

Even though I have an FF-402 I'm still terrified of the idea of walking inside a pharmacy. Really hoping I can get the booster at a drive-through clinic, but it feels like the Max Titers route won't work since we'd theoretically have our licenses on us. Still a bit afraid to check the immunocompromised box in case it gets held against us by insurance in the future.

I'll never understand the logic of most vaccination sites being indoors, it seems like such a massive and obvious oversight.

washington does have a central database: https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/Immunization/ChildProfileHealthPromotion/ForParents/AccessyourFamilysImmunizationInformation

i don't know if anyone checks it before giving shots though. the native american run site i used in may wasnt checking anything for first shot rollout

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Fireside Nut posted:

Been thinking a little more about this study regarding IV injections of the mRNA vaccines having the ability to cause myopericarditis in mice

One part that stuck out to me is that if the first injection was IV and the second was done properly via IM, it still caused heart inflammation!

Does this mean if you got a second shot or booster shot that was accidentally IV, could the risk of myopericarditis from a natural infection subsequently be raised? So basically you could be a ticking time bomb and not know it?

Can any of the medical or medical adjacent goons in this thread postulate on whether that could be the case? I don't have any clue whether there is reason to believe the underlying biological/immunological mechanisms for heart inflammation would be similar enough to be a concern.

Ugh, this is stressing me out. :(

in vivo models aren't definitive to human models. i would only trust observational studies on myopericarditis and the general feeling is its very rare (maybe less rare in kids, tbd)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

that said getting infinite shots may have some side effects, also tbd.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

washington does have a central database: https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/Immunization/ChildProfileHealthPromotion/ForParents/AccessyourFamilysImmunizationInformation

i don't know if anyone checks it before giving shots though. the native american run site i used in may wasnt checking anything for first shot rollout

They didn't when I went to Safeway. I handed the pharmacist my driver's license and she just used the info to fill out the vaxx card. At no time did I see her punch my name into a database.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

just got done curing alzheimers in vivo for the 12th time i look forward to it doing absolutely nothing in human bodies because it metabolizes wrong or something

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

kids have been hit pretty badly though compared to any other wave. we went from a total of 400 kid deaths total in august to 460 by september--that's one month alone seeing 12% of kid deaths up to that point. i'm sure it's even worse once the september numbers roll in. we had weeks and weeks and maybe even a full month of pediatric ICUs being full in many entire southern states. total covid infections for the entire country were like 25-30% all children for weeks at a time--the highest we have ever seen in the pandemic. a _ton_ of kids have gotten infected in the last couple months, luckily only a small fraction have died but it's still a bigger amount of child death than we've seen before. in two months we're basically going to have an entire bad flu season of child deaths (~200 or so)... and we're just about to enter the real flu season now.

i think the big thing is that most people are pretty insulated from the child cases. unless you experience it directly it's hard to see or understand what's happening. the media are not covering it much because it's pretty depressing and there's nothing any of us individually can really do to stop it. we're never going to (hopefully) wake up and read "oh my god children everywhere are dying!! this is a disaster!!".. it's just going to quietly seep through the news many months later that, oh crap we just lost hundreds of kids last season.. that was bad
even when you're close to it, it's hidden from view

a family friend in another state, their kid's daycare had some covid cases
family friend didn't find out about it until after the whole ordeal was over with, because their kid wasn't in the same classroom so they never got a close contact warning

poo poo i could see it blowing past me without realizing it if my toddlers' daycare was that poo poo at reporting out cases
my daycare has probably 30+ kids spread across all the age groups and classes
i know just 1 other kid by name because we're already family friends
so-and-so in whatever-age-group class is out with the sniffles? hell if i knew about it
and that's with me actively paying attention to attendance and sign-in/out sheets
maybe that kid is part time? maybe they're coming in later? maybe they're out with something? who loving knows gently caress

anyways gently caress everything

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Got my third pfizer at a walgreens and that took probably fifteen or twenty minutes, they mention the fifteen minute observation wait time after the shot but immediately told me no one was actually going to monitor, I didn't have to wait in the store, and I didn't have to notify anyone before I left, so I just got the shot then wwnt out to my car and waited just in case. Didn't have any immediate adverse reaction though, just like the first two shots. The only people masked inside where the pharm techs and one cashier. The three or four random people and two families with young children running around where all unmasked.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lacrosse posted:

They didn't when I went to Safeway. I handed the pharmacist my driver's license and she just used the info to fill out the vaxx card. At no time did I see her punch my name into a database.

This doesn’t mean it wasn’t — I don’t know specifically, but it seems plausible that the names of recipients are submitted at the end of the day or something. In this case, being in the database already is not an impediment, though.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

ngl the stress is starting to get to me!!!!!

stay strong

long term damage to your kid not worth short term stuff

wife & i are hitting limits as well so we're refreshing our big matrix of what we're willing to do and risk and in what circumstances. just lucky we're completely on the same wavelength.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Alberta, 1 in 700 unvaccinated adults is CURRENTLY in the hospital with covid-19. Jesus loving christ

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
so is Moderna working at all on their 6 month booster? I really want to get a booster but am fine waiting a bit longer to officially get a Moderna shot if it's coming sooner than later

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/RioSlade/status/1443592784041107460?s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

our school district trumpeted weekly testing that they originally planned back in august
first week of october will be the first actual weekly test. ive been real nervous about it the whole time because cases are crazy low district wide from self reporting (never over 9 combined cases per week among all k-8 schools) and i dont want to know there's really 10 times as much spread

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Took my toddler to get a covid test this morning as she woke up from her nap at daycare yesterday with a fever. The testing location is inside the doctor's office complex on the second floor in a room with seemingly no windows open, no HEPA filters and no UV killing lights or whatever. So the entire time I'm crack-pinging that while my daughter didn't have covid (likely) upon entry, she probably picked it up inside!

At the start of the pandemic the testing was in the parking lot under a canopy, this summer when I got tested before my surgery it was right inside the first floor. Why do they keep moving it further into the building? What are these people thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1443606729493712897

Duh? There’re cowards and everyone knows it. A few morons who think they’re in the majority will quit then stand around wide eyed when they realize their friends got the jab to save their job and it was all big talk.

Good on the media for reinforcing this view by disproportionately elevating anti-vaxx concerns and stories: