Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I lived in Vanier in the very early 2000s (like 2000 - 2001), and while I could see the "will gentrify someday" vibe from right across the bridge, once you get past a few blocks from there it's a pretty dismal place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Somebody on my facebook posted "Happy T&R Day!!!" lol

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why wasn't the downtown relief line ever built? It feels very wierd that the whole southern part of the downtown core isn't serviced by rapid transit, even though that's where it'd seem to make the most sense.

Also is heavy rail rapid transit basically impossible to build in North America now? The Eglinton line and the new Ontario line are going to be light rail.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

noooo

It's got some new developments and refurbishing going on but the money for houses has been going to the satellite communities that got lumped in during amalgamation. Orleans, Kanata, Barrhaven is where people go to buy a nice house. With lightrail I think that's just gonna keep going, Vanier is gonna stay the poor area for people who can't afford to leave the city, at least for the foreseeable future

It's getting worse, the plaza with the Chinese supermarket right by the river is going to be demolished and turned into some sort of condo arcology.

ToxicAcne posted:

Why wasn't the downtown relief line ever built? It feels very wierd that the whole southern part of the downtown core isn't serviced by rapid transit, even though that's where it'd seem to make the most sense.

Also is heavy rail rapid transit basically impossible to build in North America now? The Eglinton line and the new Ontario line are going to be light rail.

Because "gently caress you city governments work for the exurbs" (I neither know nor care if this part of your post relates to Ottawa or Toronto lol)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Somebody on my facebook posted "Happy T&R Day!!!" lol

My elementary aged kids were pretty excited about it, talking about it all week. I tried to explain to them that it isn't a happy occasion but they're too little to understand the actual horrors. :negative:

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Failed state nursing a failed ideology.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

enki42 posted:

I lived in Vanier in the very early 2000s (like 2000 - 2001), and while I could see the "will gentrify someday" vibe from right across the bridge, once you get past a few blocks from there it's a pretty dismal place.

OTOH the big cemetery was an excellent place for the very large zombie walk I saw around that time start their march onto Parliament Hill to demand more brains

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Another Bill posted:

My elementary aged kids were pretty excited about it, talking about it all week. I tried to explain to them that it isn't a happy occasion but they're too little to understand the actual horrors. :negative:

I've seen posts on social media stating something to the effect of "remember to celebrate indigenous successes as well mourning indigenous tragedies"

I don't recall if it was in relation to today but I think it's a good sentiment to remember.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

my impression is that the canadian armed forces are way worse than the us military when it comes to attracting right wing racist psychos, the US as a result of having way more people and mass recruitment has its poo poo tempered (outside of the specific psycho divisions like special forces or whatever) by having a lot of hispanic and black recruits

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I, for one, was shocked to see that the person in question was from Quebec

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

mila kunis posted:

my impression is that the canadian armed forces are way worse than the us military when it comes to attracting right wing racist psychos, the US as a result of having way more people and mass recruitment has its poo poo tempered (outside of the specific psycho divisions like special forces or whatever) by having a lot of hispanic and black recruits

Yep, this is a common theme throughout the western world. Germany now has legit neonazis running their special forces. Although I've heard that the economic conscription hypothesis is exaggerated in the US with most troops still coming from middle class white families.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/IsraelinCanada/status/1443592226596999177?s=19

:thunk:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I've seen a lot of people (even people on these forums) say that the US military is good because it helps a lot of minorities escape poverty.

Meanwhile if you actually look at the figures, the US military is disproportionately white compared to the rest of the country.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mila kunis posted:

Yeah that's why USA special forces are dominated by whites lmao.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've seen a lot of people (even people on these forums) say that the US military is good because it helps a lot of minorities escape poverty.

Meanwhile if you actually look at the figures, the US military is disproportionately white compared to the rest of the country.

they need people to be reliably willing to shoot non whites so white supremacy is probably a good basis for that

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Oh good! I was wondering what Israel's official stance on colonialism and apartheid was

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
hes really earned the vacation guys

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/1443666000579375115?s=20

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I also want to see the surfing dog of Tofino :shrug:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

can’t you just buy an orange tshirt at la baie like a normal person???

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

For Truth and Reconciliation he gave his aides choice of either booking him an Airbnb on the coast or let him put a fancy dancer outfit on for the day

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Sep 30, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

For Truth and Reconciliation he gave his aides choice of either booking him an Airbnb on the coast or let him put a fancy dancer outfit on for the day

He was hoping that the vacation would look too bad for this stat holiday, and they called his bluff

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
From "surf's up" to "bottom's up".

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Today I discovered that I do not own even a single piece of orange clothing. Jagmeet would be deeply disappointed in me and rightly so

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Guys didn't you hear it's not Trudeau's fault for appealing the ruling on indigenous reparations he had to "confirm" the judges ruling and furthelre the case began 12 years ago under Harper and he has no control over the Justice department and oh god I'm disintegrating

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

alberta update: kenney's calling in the military and red cross to provide support to the health care system and is mandating that all public servants working for the province either provide proof of vaccination or have a negative covid test within 72 hours of their shifts. this is like a day after he rejected newfoundland's offer of ICU nurses so who loving knows what's even going on in his peabrain anymore

this is doubly embarrassing because even kenney was able to wrangle up an orange shirt under his blazer at today's press conference, lmao

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Vermain posted:

this is doubly embarrassing because even kenney was able to wrangle up an orange shirt under his blazer at today's press conference, lmao

trudeau started saying "so for truth and reconciliation day, should I wear..," and his staff stopped him mid-sentence and suggested a nice vacation away from the spotlight

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
You say, "cultural appropriation".

I say, "who wore it better?" :razz:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Apparently a nurse in Alberta committed suicide. No link available but it was mentioned in the covid briefing

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

https://twitter.com/CBCCalgary/status/705881999773470720?s=20

"the one who keeps trying"

he's trying me for sure

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Apparently a nurse in Alberta committed suicide. No link available but it was mentioned in the covid briefing

She died of an overdose, I don't know whether it was deliberate.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Chamale posted:

Sure.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

angerbeet posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCCalgary/status/705881999773470720?s=20

"the one who keeps trying"

he's trying me for sure
LOL that's a deep cut

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chamale posted:

99% of overdoses are suicides committed while high

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DariusLikewise posted:

While this does happen, and may indeed be the case here, I guarantee you that a huge number of overdoses happening now are accidental. People don't realize how powerful the carfentanil in the street down is. And it's even worse when it's mixed in with the meth and people may not have any opioid tolerance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

given present circumstances, the idea of a nurse turning to something harder and getting unexpectedly hosed over by it isn't that unrealistic

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I have one cousin dead from fentanyl OD and another laid down on the tracks to sleep and got mangled by a train. A land of contrasts and motives

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

This is dangerously wrong and diminishes the danger of the currently incredibly toxic drug supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

this is kind of a hosed up thing to throw around with zero evidence