Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think the move away from blocks has resulted in a Standard where synergistic decks are much weaker, so the best decks tend to involve cramming all the best cards together. This problem has existed before, as with four-color Siege Rhino decks. It seems that the gap between the best Standard decks and a casual tribal deck is much wider than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i wish they'd at least treat mechanics in the same way as when there were blocks. it's exhausting now, going through major mechanical innovations like Learn/Lesson and Dungeons in just a single set and then completely abandoning them. like yeah it was annoying that Energy was too good for too long but this is the opposite and it's like... i dunno

i think Learn/Lesson in particular is a design space that's begging for all kinds of cool stuff, surely they'll print more of them some day, and maybe an alternate set of 3 Dungeons some day as well

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I was assuming since the moment it was first revealed that the Zendikar Party mechanic would get it's other half in the D&D set. Then it didn't. So it's just another throwaway limited mechanic.

I miss blocks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chamale posted:

I think the move away from blocks has resulted in a Standard where synergistic decks are much weaker, so the best decks tend to involve cramming all the best cards together. This problem has existed before, as with four-color Siege Rhino decks. It seems that the gap between the best Standard decks and a casual tribal deck is much wider than it used to be.

I don't know how Izzet Dragons decks aren't synergistic? Whether it's Goldspan + Galazeth Prizmari treasure synergy or Smouldering Egg + a shitload of spells and Goldspan to ramp into Alrund. Seems pretty synergistic to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TBF, we have a short block right now with the two Innistrad sets, and they've definitely been seeding sets with mechanics that do interact well with each other.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Back in the day, I used to be able to squeeze some entertainment out of lovely lopsided standard formats by listening to PSully and Cedric bitch about them on SCG coverage. Ah, the era of RTR/Theros devotion decks was a thing to behold. :allears:

Now, I don't even have that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

TBF, we have a short block right now with the two Innistrad sets, and they've definitely been seeding sets with mechanics that do interact well with each other.

At least some of the tribes are going to have different mechanics though. Maro's talked about hearing players' desire to see more mechanics exist beyond a single set (most notably the Zendikar/D&D stuff that was mentioned here), but other than presumably werewolves (because a third variation on transforming would be pretty nuts), I don't know that any others are guaranteed to be the same this time around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Top8Games/status/1443698138053844992

LOL all your MTG faves are crypto freaks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

No idea who that guy is.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chamale posted:

What was the last good standard deck that you felt was "synergistic"?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

What was the last good standard deck that you felt was "synergistic"?

Oven Cat. Before that, the Wildgrowth Walker/Explore package with Bolas's Citadel.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sinteres posted:

No idea who that guy is.

MTG wise he did coverage for a long time and was the pro tour historian. He got bumped from the coverage desk and was switched to interviewing and guerrilla coverage for the non-feature match games during PT’s. He stepped down from doing anything related to MTG about 2-3 years ago to pursue other opportunities. He also started the store Neutral Ground in NYC which was basically the place to play mtg in NYC back in the day, had a lot of pros playing there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

Oven Cat. Before that, the Wildgrowth Walker/Explore package with Bolas's Citadel.

which i think speaks to the problem - the problem isn't the lack of blocks in and of itself, it's the lack of synergies across multiple sets. standard has largely turned into figuring out which particular mechanics package in a recent set is The Best, which feels pretty pre-determined and lovely. it's not a "brew" if you're just putting all the food or all the adventure or all the werewolf cards in a deck, it feels like you're just doing wotc's 75-piece puzzle set.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Arivia posted:

which i think speaks to the problem - the problem isn't the lack of blocks in and of itself, it's the lack of synergies across multiple sets. standard has largely turned into figuring out which particular mechanics package in a recent set is The Best, which feels pretty pre-determined and lovely. it's not a "brew" if you're just putting all the food or all the adventure or all the werewolf cards in a deck, it feels like you're just doing wotc's 75-piece puzzle set.

Rogues was a synergistic AND tribal deck.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

MTG wise he did coverage for a long time and was the pro tour historian. He got bumped from the coverage desk and was switched to interviewing and guerrilla coverage for the non-feature match games during PT’s. He stepped down from doing anything related to MTG about 2-3 years ago to pursue other opportunities. He also started the store Neutral Ground in NYC which was basically the place to play mtg in NYC back in the day, had a lot of pros playing there.

I played at neutral ground a couple times back when I was in high school. Came in 4th in a vintage tournament once and later got immediately knocked out of regionals lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Simone Magus posted:

i wish they'd at least treat mechanics in the same way as when there were blocks. it's exhausting now, going through major mechanical innovations like Learn/Lesson and Dungeons in just a single set and then completely abandoning them. like yeah it was annoying that Energy was too good for too long but this is the opposite and it's like... i dunno

i think Learn/Lesson in particular is a design space that's begging for all kinds of cool stuff, surely they'll print more of them some day, and maybe an alternate set of 3 Dungeons some day as well

One of their stated reasons for stopping that was that they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel by the time set 3 came around, but I get where you're coming from.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chamale posted:

Arivia posted:

"Oven Cat" was Jund Sacrifice, a deck that had synergies between cards in 4 different sets -- Mayhem Devil (WAR), Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA), Woe Strider (THB), Cat/Oven/Korvald/Trail of Crumbs/Etc (ELD), and then got banned because it was Too Good, so it seems cross-set synergies can exist!

All blocks did was spread out the good cards over three sets instead of having them all at once, and you'd end up with dud third sets with nothing good in them because they ran out of ideas.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
selesnya humans is getting a decent push in standard atm and it's using a Bunch of different sets

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You have good points, I think you're right. I can't believe I forgot about Rogues, I played that deck for a year.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Honestly nowadays we’re spoiled for info. Back in the day we had to glean info on upcoming sets and deck meta from bad Scrye magazine articles and random forum posts

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

All blocks did was spread out the good cards over three sets instead of having them all at once, and you'd end up with dud third sets with nothing good in them because they ran out of ideas.

Hell, PT Journey into Nyx was Theros Block Constructed, not even full Standard, and Chapin won while ignoring all the non-land JOU cards except four removal spells main and three removal spells in the sideboard.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

from what i understand, this game is more like "your modo cards have serial numbers" rather than "burn down a rain forest every time you open a booster"

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I just miss drafting full blocks. OG Ravnica block limited was absolutely bonkers. I know that's a high watermark but if they do it once they could do it again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's going to be a Ravnica Remix draft with Guilds and Ravnica Allegiance on Arena next month, so that's basically a block. The new Innistrad sets are getting smashed together for limited in paper early next year too, and presumably Arena at some point. Did anyone draft Time Spiral remastered?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gramps posted:

I just miss drafting full blocks. OG Ravnica block limited was absolutely bonkers. I know that's a high watermark but if they do it once they could do it again.

Return to Ravnica full block sucked rear end though. In conclusion, Ravnica is a land of contrast.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Lone Goat posted:

Return to Ravnica full block sucked rear end though. In conclusion, Ravnica is a land of contrast.

That mostly comes down to Dragon's Maze being garbo.

Triple RTR was great though. ...Except Pack Rat which was just an absolutely format ruining rare.

Gatecrash... ...okay yeah Gatecrash is probably the worst set I've drafted since Avacyn Restored. It is hyper aggro and basically had two decks you could actually draft.

...Okay you know maybe the format just sucked.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PlasticAutomaton posted:

... ...okay yeah Gatecrash is probably the worst set I've drafted since Avacyn Restored.
:thunk:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Glorious.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Corbeau posted:

I was assuming since the moment it was first revealed that the Zendikar Party mechanic would get it's other half in the D&D set. Then it didn't. So it's just another throwaway limited mechanic.

I miss blocks.

There’s actually a really fun and somewhat competitive bant party deck for standard right now. It does a good job of showcasing how the mechanic could be very powerful. It also showcases how bullshit meathook massacre is.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jpmeyer posted:

from what i understand, this game is more like "your modo cards have serial numbers" rather than "burn down a rain forest every time you open a booster"

it's a blockchain based nft so there's no mining but you buy/sell them using crpyto and even if you ignore how nfts drive up demand for crypto mining, just a transaction is pretty energy consuming. Also the marketplace only accepts a cryptocurrency that is proprietary to the company that paid to let him throw out the first pitch. BDM either knows it's a pump and dump or is an unwitting mark.

mcmagic posted:

LOL all your MTG faves are crypto freaks.

He's got a lot of other pros on his staff too :(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress nfts, bully every crypto shill into dust when you see them.

Goldspan is a messed up card

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

There’s actually a really fun and somewhat competitive bant party deck for standard right now. It does a good job of showcasing how the mechanic could be very powerful. It also showcases how bullshit meathook massacre is.

Bant Party absolutely shreds, and teabagging your opponent with linvala when they try to blood on the snow you is awesome, but you're right about Meathook. That card makes that deck cry blood

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Meathook rocks rear end

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The Mea Thook Massacre

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
My issue with standard is that no matter what deck I play I suck, though I guess that's not standard's fault.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Elblanco posted:

My issue with standard is that no matter what deck I play I suck, though I guess that's not standard's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPX-wuplDvc

(Sorry if that comes across as mean. I assume it's not really as bad as you're saying and that you're being self deprecating though.)

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 1, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fatherboxx posted:

gently caress nfts, bully every crypto shill into dust when you see them.

Goldspan is a messed up card

Meh. Goldspan was MUCH better in 2022 Standard than it is in current standard.

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1443966295821668354

Alrund's Epiphany is a dead card walking.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 1, 2021

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing the turns deck that was posted earlier in the thread, and it feels like the problem card isn't Epiphany itself, but the combo of Deluge to dig for it and Galvanic? Like if you whiff on copying it, it buys you some time, but it doesn't end the game on its own. Something's gotta go from that basic shell though because it's sheer misery to play against.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mcmagic posted:

Alrund's Epiphany is a dead card walking.

You saying you think it'll get a ban? I don't think it's an incredibly oppressive Time Walk card in a vacuum, but when they inevitably print more they probably need to be a little worse than Epiphany in the future. Dodging hand disruption with foretell is kind of insult to injury because there are already very few ways to interact with opponent's sorceries, and this just narrows it down to counterspells, and if you're running counterspells you might as well also play Epiphany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Toshimo posted:

That's because "the Internet" doesn't like to take responsibility for their actions.

Making counterfeit cards (cards designed to be easily mistaken for real cards by laymen) is a lovely thing to do.

You got beef with WotC? Cool. Don't play in their tournaments. Hell, don't buy their cards. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

But when you buy or create counterfeit cards, which we've seen time and again work themselves into the ecosystem and be pawned off.on unsuspecting customers, you're just being a shithead. You aren't Robin Hood, sticking it to the man. You don't have some moral high ground. You're just doing harm to all the other people involved: the artists, the printers, the game stores, and fellow players.

i bet you think pirating poo poo is immoral as well