Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

J&J is actually an Adenovirus vector vaccine like AZ. The inactivated virus ones are Sinopharm and Sinovac.

There we go, an excellent example of why people should be listening to experts and not doing their own research like I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

infernal machines posted:

I feel like if you're taking medical advice from Joe "God's perfect idiot" Rogan, sooner or later you're going to get what you deserve.

I used to think Joe Rogan was they absolute nadir of human intelligence, the scientifically provably Stupidest Human Alive.

Then I remembered he has an audience who listen to him and act on his advice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh look, Kenney and friends will be up again this afternoon to get grilled on air once more over the Covid fuckup.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://twitter.com/tylerrdawson/status/1443320739390705671?s=19

How is it that every time something absolutely idiotic is happening, Danielle Smith is right there? Like I can't understand why even Conservatives like her, she did an abysmal job of leading the Wildrose party right up until she defected from it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh look, Kenney and friends will be up again this afternoon to get grilled on air once more over the Covid fuckup.

At this point there is nothing that could shock me with regards to how low he can sink.

Someone will ask him if he has ever felt shame in his life and he will reject the premise of the question.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PittTheElder posted:

https://twitter.com/tylerrdawson/status/1443320739390705671?s=19

How is it that every time something absolutely idiotic is happening, Danielle Smith is right there? Like I can't understand why even Conservatives like her, she did an abysmal job of leading the Wildrose party right up until she defected from it.

rofl I love this threading the needle bullshit rightwingers have to do where they can't tell their base they are stupid morons for ot getting the vaccine but also know that they need those stupid morons to get vaccinated to get poo poo back to normal

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In a rational universe Notley would just have to point to a picture of Kenney to win the next election.

Alas, Alberta.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I have no evidence for this but I believe there is a (likely small) portion of anti-vaxxers who are just scared of needles and don't want to admit it, likely due to toxic masculinity. A vaccine that's one shots instead of two might have some impact on vaccine rates.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Chicken posted:

I have no evidence for this but I believe there is a (likely small) portion of anti-vaxxers who are just scared of needles and don't want to admit it, likely due to toxic masculinity. A vaccine that's one shots instead of two might have some impact on vaccine rates.

I've seen talk of potentially making a nasal spray based vaccine. It's probably too late for that to make a difference now, but in the future (even just for flu vaccines) it would be interesting to see how much that affects hesitancy.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

I've seen talk of potentially making a nasal spray based vaccine. It's probably too late for that to make a difference now, but in the future (even just for flu vaccines) it would be interesting to see how much that affects hesitancy.

Early polio vaccines were oral.

Needlephobia is definitely a barrier to vaccine uptake.

Is the nasal spray a vaccine? There is a nasal spray that is more of a post-exposure prophylactic that has been developed by a Canadian company and is currently in clinical trials: https://scrip.pharmaintelligence.informa.com/SC144632/Canadian-Biotech-Progresses-COVID19-Nasal-Spray-Claims-Promise-Against-Variants

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

HappyHippo posted:

Nasal flu vaccines (Flumist etc) exist but they're more expensive or something so they don't get used much outside of kids who absolutely can't tolerate needles.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

HappyHippo posted:

They used a nasal vaccine in Contagion, a film that seemed so prescient at first but now seems laughably naive. Jude Law's character would be elected to public office if that movie was remade today.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Cacator posted:

Jude Law's character would be elected to public office if that movie was remade today.

I mean, that's not even theoretical.

The most unrealistic part of that movie was the violent mobs were the ones who wanted vaccines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney starting out by boasting about all the hard work Alberta has done for the rest of the country and that Canadians are "all in this together."

Oh and he ended up taking the Newfies help after telling them no thanks two days ago.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wistful of Dollars posted:

In a rational universe Notley would just have to point to a picture of Kenney to win the next election.

Alas, Alberta.

"My opponent literally killed thousands of people through horrifying incompetence." [loses in historic landslide]

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this demand for J&J doses seems to me like a cross between an idiotic request to satisfy vaccine morons but also as a way to blame Trudeau when they run into procurement snags.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Kenney just said that Ontario had a lockdown and it didn't stop the wave six months ago.

And yet we're not making GBS threads the bed right now. Somebody help Kenney is making me side with Ford.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"if some people have curated their own information about this and come to their own conclusions, we'll respect that"

Holy loving gently caress. gently caress Jason Kenney.

gently caress Jason Kenney.

gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney.

Also, Rick Bell loving hates Jason Kenney and i'm here for it. More people need to clown on this loving gently caress.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Kenney just said that Ontario had a lockdown and it didn't stop the wave six months ago.

And yet we're not making GBS threads the bed right now. Somebody help Kenney is making me side with Ford.

uh... it did though, didn't it? Like schools opened, apocalypse started, lockdown, 3 weeks later numbers go down, then vaccines started being offered broadly?

They had a loving press conference in march where the chief medical officer came out and directly told reporters Ontario was on course for a catastrophe but that that was the plan

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm fairly convinced that Doug Ford is doing the right thing in Ontario because he's ambitious and wants to be the next leader of the CPC, so he's drawing as stark a contrast against Kenney as possible.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powershift posted:

"if some people have curated their own information about this and come to their own conclusions, we'll respect that"

gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney. gently caress Jason Kenney.

Also, Rick Bell loving hates Jason Kenney and i'm here for it. More people need to clown on this loving gently caress.

Alternative facts, bro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

uh... it did though, didn't it? Like schools opened, apocalypse started, lockdown, 3 weeks later numbers go down, then vaccines started being offered broadly?

They had a loving press conference in march where the chief medical officer came out and directly told reporters Ontario was on course for a catastrophe but that that was the plan

Don't let a little thing like reality get in the way of Kenney making a bad faith argument to justify avoiding a lockdown.

Any time people point out how loving terrible the situation is in Alberta he fumbles and starts yelling about how bad its been elsewhere in the world so you can't say it's his fault.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I'm fairly convinced that Doug Ford is doing the right thing in Ontario because he's ambitious and wants to be the next leader of the CPC, so he's drawing as stark a contrast against Kenney as possible.

he also went through exactly this arc in April, but he relented quicker

e: ^^^ silly me :cheeky:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So now he's straight up lying about telling Furey and the CAF to gently caress off on Tuesday.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Lol that loving press conference where everyone came out going :wtc: the plan is mass death?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Lol that loving press conference where everyone came out going :wtc: the plan is mass death?

The reporter asking if they had missed something because 'it sounds like we are headed into a catastrophe' and the guy responding 'yes that is how I would characterize it' was pretty good for a dark comedy bit I have to admit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Based off of the projections before the vaccination campaign ramped up Brown was right to call for a worst case scenario. He was literally the only person at the press conferences who wasn't sugarcoating how hosed the situation was. I kind of want to see him come back but it seems Moore is pulling double duty as CMOH and doing the modeling updates by himself.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So this demand for J&J doses seems to me like a cross between an idiotic request to satisfy vaccine morons but also as a way to blame Trudeau when they run into procurement snags.

Basically. J&J hasn't been forthcoming on when deliveries are going to happen after our one batch of 300k got thrown out after that manufacturer whoopsie, but I'd imagine the Feds haven't really pushed the point because we have millions and millions of mRNA doses just sitting around so why should it matter?

He can't blame Trudeau for there being a vaccine shortage so he's going to try and pretend it's a big deal that one specific vaccine isn't available because he knows the Feds can't just send those J&J shots because they don't have any to send.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Jason Kennedy should respect me curating my own information and coming to the conclusion that they are a child murderer

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Basically. J&J hasn't been forthcoming on when deliveries are going to happen after our one batch of 300k got thrown out after that manufacturer whoopsie, but I'd imagine the Feds haven't really pushed the point because we have millions and millions of mRNA doses just sitting around so why should it matter?

He can't blame Trudeau for there being a vaccine shortage so he's going to try and pretend it's a big deal that one specific vaccine isn't available because he knows the Feds can't just send those J&J shots because they don't have any to send.

Also a fuckton of Az which as mentioned, works the exact same way as j+j

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Justin Godscock posted:

I found with my faith that it really boils down to having basic respect for your fellow human being (I'm a rare breed). It gets difficult when you are faced with hostility just for the simple fact you are Christian and willing to just have a conversation.

For the record, I'm pro-LGBT and believe VERY strongly in "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Mention that and get ready for "oh...so being gay is a SIN?!" not that I disagree with what society felt growing up.

maybe...you could lead with 'I don't believe being LGBT is a sin'? seems like it'd nip that in the bud some when having these conversations

edit: that sounded more sarcastic than I meant it to, it was an honest suggestion

Aoi fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 1, 2021

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Hope everyone had a commercially viable Truth & Reconciliation Day.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

So is there a limit to this utterly idiotic theory? By this logic, those freemen on the land have the right idea, having curated their legal studies and come to a conclusion that means income tax is literal theft, and that any effort to impede my travel in an automobile or on a plane is an actual crime against humanity.

I could probably justify ignoring most regulations or rules or laws the same way, but somehow I doubt this disingenuous sack of poo poo would agree to most of those.

Do you all know how hard it is, being torn between wanting the earth to swallow Kenney up now so that maybe someone more competent is put in charge (lol, won't get that from the UCP), and wanting him to stay all the way till the next election loving up and pissing people off and killing people the whole time, hoping that Kenney Covid ends up being mentioned in the same breath as Rae Days or Fast Ferries, and leaves this rightwing trash in the dumpster for a few decades?

I didn't expect a premier who somehow hosed things up worse than a literal drunkard rear end in a top hat, but here we are.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Karatela posted:

I didn't expect a premier who somehow hosed things up worse than a literal drunkard rear end in a top hat, but here we are.

Scott Moe has probably hosed up harder because he just waits for Kenney to do something then copies it a week later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney looked pretty drunk and sweaty last night.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Ministers like these Trudeau doesn't really need Otoole or the other opposition leaders to slag him off. Today Patty Hajdu and Jonathan Wilkinson were both asked for comments about Trudeau deciding to take the first National Day of Truth and Reconciliation holiday to fly out to BC with his family and hang out on the beach. Their answers were less than stellar deflections. Wilkinson especially, because he responded by saying "I think the media should instead be focusing on all the hard work our government has done to advance Truth and Reconciliation rather than ask about that."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

With Ministers like these Trudeau doesn't really need Otoole or the other opposition leaders to slag him off. Today Patty Hajdu and Jonathan Wilkinson were both asked for comments about Trudeau deciding to take the first National Day of Truth and Reconciliation holiday to fly out to BC with his family and hang out on the beach. Their answers were less than stellar deflections. Wilkinson especially, because he responded by saying "I think the media should instead be focusing on all the hard work our government has done to advance Truth and Reconciliation rather than ask about that."

Havnt they barely even scratched the surface of Truth and Reconciliation despite having multiple years now to do actual work towards it? Am I crazy in thinking that asking people step back and look at how poorly they have handled it is the worst way to deflect the question??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why you're not a politician. Too many of them speak before they think and they're a really thin skinned defensive bunch.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 1, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

That's why you're not a politician. Too many of them speak before they think and they're a really thin skinned defensive bunch.

Way to kill my post-pharmacy dreams. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Scott Moe has probably hosed up harder because he just waits for Kenney to do something then copies it a week later.

I of course was referring to the last Premier if Calgary, Ralph Klein.