Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Because of their injury situation they didn't have much choice, same reason the Dodgers threw a 'pen game last night and have done so a ton lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Well now I just feel bad for Buehler

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mariners are 4.5 gb the Astros and are about to play them three times.

time to face god and walk backwards into hell

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Can't discern who benefited the most from the strike zone in the Dodgers/Giants game but it was very confusing.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress the Yankees

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I was half-watching the 9th inning, and after that high ball to Guerrero Jr. I said "he's going to throw a fastball down the dick and Vladdy's going to hit a home run." It was more of a top-middle fastball than middle-middle, but still the best baseball prediction I've ever made

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I disagree, although they do suck right now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gently caress the yankees is an evergreen sentiment

matti
Mar 31, 2019

matti posted:

are the giants mediocre yet?

.608 huh

let's disappointment

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is some poo poo

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1438022035658051588

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If the Dodgers lose the wildcard game to a team that they finished 20 games ahead of, will it create enough popular backlash to get rid of the second wildcard? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no, absolutely not; in fact it would probably have the opposite effect, if any effect at all," but it's still nice to think about.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

General Dog posted:

If the Dodgers lose the wildcard game to a team that they finished 20 games ahead of, will it create enough popular backlash to get rid of the second wildcard? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no, absolutely not; in fact it would probably have the opposite effect, if any effect at all," but it's still nice to think about.

the underdog story would greatly outweigh the meltdown

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the proper response is to seed the postseason teams based on record, so this year the WCG would be ATL vs STL at the present standings

this would also put LA and SF on opposite sides of the bracket so they could meet in the LCS instead of the DS

but they won’t do that because it doesn’t make as much money for ownership as adding another round/more games to the postseason

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Sep 16, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

the proper response is to seed the postseason teams based on record, so this year the WCG would be ATL vs STL at the present standings

If winning your division doesn't guarantee you a full playoff series, then they should just abolish divisions.

The wildcard game sucks. A 162-game season coming down to a one-game playoff is bullshit. But they're not going to get rid of it, so IMO the best solution would be to make it a 3-game series. The scheduling would be a little tight but you could do it.

I still say MLB's ultimate plan is to add a 3rd wildcard and an extra round of playoffs, with the top two seeds getting a bye, NFL-style.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like baseball and I like baseball playoffs so give me more of them yeah.

but also it'd be fun if one year my team wasn't so lovely so that they could try too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

If winning your division doesn't guarantee you a full playoff series, then they should just abolish divisions.

The wildcard game sucks. A 162-game season coming down to a one-game playoff is bullshit. But they're not going to get rid of it, so IMO the best solution would be to make it a 3-game series. The scheduling would be a little tight but you could do it.

I still say MLB's ultimate plan is to add a 3rd wildcard and an extra round of playoffs, with the top two seeds getting a bye, NFL-style.
I've no problem with abolishing divisions, but I don't think that's mandatory if switching to the method I've mentioned here. Divisions and the unbalanced schedule that comes with them are good for regional rivalries, which are important to baseball. The reason to abolish division would be to avoid the scenario where a team misses out on the Wild Card while having a better record than one of the other division winners. The AL East is threatening to do that this year, if TB/NY/TOR/BOS all finish ahead of the White Sox (latter 3 are currently 1.5 behind CHI). But that scenario is even more rare than the current NL West situation, and all 5 of those teams are within 1.5 games of each other so one of them has to miss out no matter how you pick them.

The Wild Card Game is cool and good, as long as it contains the two worst postseason teams within a given league. If it's contested between teams with like 87-92 wins each, it's appropriate because those teams don't really deserve to be there in the first place.

Making it a 3-game series misses the point imo, and makes it worse not better. The league simply needs to embrace the WCG as a sort of "bonus" for two teams that didn't really play well enough to make the postseason but are getting a chance to be included. And they can do that by making sure it's always contested between the worst two teams of the 5.

The other reason to re-seed is to avoid the scenario where the two best records in a league are facing each other in the DS instead of the LCS, as is the potential case with Dodgers-Giants this year. The postseason bracket should always allow for the possibility of the two best records within a league to meet in the LCS.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Sep 16, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

after talking baseball with my dad the other day I was reading up on the 96 Yankees and holy crap the MVP from that World Series got himself into a real whoopsie doodle.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The other sort-of postseason related change they should make (which might align with abolishing divisions) is naming the best record in each league the Pennant Winner and awarding a trophy for this.

We should celebrate regular season greatness as we once did, not just with a better postseason berth. Hockey does this, as do most soccer leagues.

I've beat this drum before but I'll keep beating it.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Sep 16, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’d be fine with eliminating divisions and playoffs and putting the AL and NL regular season champs directly into the WS. A playoff at the end of a 162-game season is just kind of goofy on its face.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is never gonna happen because playoff games are worth too much tv money. The number of postseason games/series will never ever go down, only up. So if you want the WS to have the best teams every year, your best bet is to structure the postseason to advantage the best records as much as possible.

I mean until the glorious revolution after which baseball is community/player owned and profit ceases to exist.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Frankly if I could make one change for the next year it would be to eliminate pitchers from the batting order entirely somehow. Pitchers should never be at bat - they're basically a free out and there's too much planning around this and/or pinch hitters.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

friend there is an entire league just for you and it is named after AMERICA

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

bawfuls posted:

friend there is an entire league just for you and it is named after AMERICA

I mean that's what I mean: the Leagues shouldn't have different takes on this particular element :patriot:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they should add a new league with 15 more teams where the only players who get to bat are pitchers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

they should relegate every team that has a below .500 average to a lesser league and the you could do a yearly pre-post-season where teams vie to get back into the MLB.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lux Animus posted:

I mean that's what I mean: the Leagues shouldn't have different takes on this particular element :patriot:

it's this

personal I'm split between seeing pitchers get beaned vs. big fat guys jacking bombs to deep left center field. both are valued.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Pamela Springstein posted:

it's this

personal I'm split between seeing pitchers get beaned vs. big fat guys jacking bombs to deep left center field. both are valued.

I'm not an NL fan but as someone whose team
occasionally fields a pitcher in the batter's box I like it when this happens:

https://youtu.be/hi0UNUqnPBM

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Lux Animus posted:

the leagues being different is literally one of the only interesting and useful things MLB has preserved and some of the worst creeps who work for MLB or write about baseball want perma-DH. it was trash last year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in the interest of improving pace of play MLB will experiment with a rule change next year where when it's the pitcher's turn to bat the plate appearance is skipped and an out is automatically awarded

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I heard an interesting proposal about the wild card basically: make the worst record win a double header. Sounds swell considering this years NL West situation, but pretty harsh in a close race. Got my thinking there could be other ways to reward the team with a better record.

I dunno maybe the rest of the divisions could stop sucking rear end.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'm rooting for a 3 team tie for the two AL wild card spotd and another 3 team tie for the second NL one

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWTyrU8Atk

I feel like I've seen a half-dozen Jomboys on this topic at this point. At this point teams should probably show a quick powerpoint deck in the clubhouse before each game to drill this into players' heads.

Also I'm trying to think if there is a rule in any sport that players are discouraged from learning more than who has the right to the base if two runners are standing on it, because every single coach at every single level will say to just tag everyone and let the umps sort it out.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the St Louis Cardinals are good again. prepare yourselves accordingly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Troy Queef posted:

the St Louis Cardinals are good again. prepare yourselves accordingly.

cardinals bullshit vs Giants dead cat player bounce

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
just gonna post this here, Jesus loving Christ Reds.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

guess who is a nervous wreck

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the entire Mariners fan base all the time forever?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FubL9uYAez0

i am allowed be dumb romantic this once since it is october here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Go Jays :evilbuddy: