Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it worked for me just fine

lol I knew you'd pop up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

site posted:

man, who the gently caress wants to buy a game with 30 dlcs on a store with no cart

Yeah, I thought it's a good opprotunity for Paradox to add some sort of ultimate edition or something. They never added one for CK2, but at least there were some bundles including a lot of important DLCs.

But here if someone wants to get everything for EU4 they'll have to open each DLC page, enter card information, wait till the payment is done (in my case it might take up to 3 minutes for confirmation SMS from my bank to arrive) and then proceed. It might very well take 1.5 hours to buy it all. Mind-blowing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it worked for me just fine

nailed it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

site posted:

man, who the gently caress wants to buy a game with 30 dlcs on a store with no cart

Console players. But yeah, no bundle no buy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

New Amazon Twitch Prime Gaming things aren't up yet, but they've been announced so I'll just dump them here now:

Star Wars: Squadrons (Presumably an Origin key)
Alien: Isolation
Ghostrunner
Song of Horror Complete Edition
Red Wings: Aces of the Sky
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures
Blue Fire
Tiny Robots Recharged
Whiskey & Zombies: The Great Southern Zombie Escape
Secret Files 3
These are up now. Squadrons is an Origin key, Ghostrunner a GOG key, Alien Isolation an Epic Game Store key, everything else through Amazon's launcher.

EDIT: Squadrons warns that the supply of codes is limited, so first in best dressed.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got Squadrons off someone else, heck yeh.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Pretty lame that they're giving out Alien Isolation on a store any astute free-game-getter already has the game on, and through account linking so they can't even give it away.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I redeemed the code but origin isn't loving sending me a verification email

Finally got in

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 1, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I redeemed the code but origin isn't loving sending me a verification email

This sometimes takes a while. I added a couple games a while ago and it was finally in my library later that day or the next day.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PC Building Simulator is free on EGS this week

Next week is Stubbs the Zombie, and a free item pack for Paladins

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Heh, didn't think i'd see stubbs free. Whoever got that working on modern systems certainly made more of an impact than I ever thought they would.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Oooh, Stubbs is a great game. That is one charming zombie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dogstile posted:

Heh, didn't think i'd see stubbs free. Whoever got that working on modern systems certainly made more of an impact than I ever thought they would.

They recently did a remaster or remake of it.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I came pretty close recently to buying Stubbs out of nostalgia, so this is great. Plus it's a good game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is PC Building Simulator as frustrating as building a new desktop PC in real life? Last time I bought a gaming rig I bought all the parts and paid a professional to make a computer out of them. Smartest thing I've ever done.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
If you don’t have to spend 30 minutes trying to connect the front panel wires and still end up with no hdd light, what’s even the point?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Is PC Building Simulator as frustrating as building a new desktop PC in real life? Last time I bought a gaming rig I bought all the parts and paid a professional to make a computer out of them. Smartest thing I've ever done.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Not even close. For starters, you always have the right type of cables at the perfect length to never tangle that always plug in correctly. Same for screws. The part you get in the mail is always the same as the part that you ordered. The games tells you in big bold letters that two parts are incompatible, without first having to check that all of your cables are plugged in properly followed by multiple hours of Googling to find out that your RAM uses BOFA architecture, while your power supply can only handle LIGMA.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

Building a desktop PC is very simple

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

ducttape posted:

Not even close. For starters, you always have the right type of cables at the perfect length to never tangle that always plug in correctly. Same for screws. The part you get in the mail is always the same as the part that you ordered. The games tells you in big bold letters that two parts are incompatible, without first having to check that all of your cables are plugged in properly followed by multiple hours of Googling to find out that your RAM uses BOFA architecture, while your power supply can only handle LIGMA.

LIGMA?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LIGMA RAM is baller, I'd grab a pair if they're available. BOFA is okay if you avoid the ones with "D"s at the end of serial number. Whichever way you decide to swing it you should be able to work out compatibility with a couple of small diagnostic testies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steve Jobs?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bowmore posted:

Building a desktop PC is very simple

So is being a snarky prat on the Internet, apparently.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

It's a newer type of power supply, using Transitory Actuating Ionic Node Transfer. So if you're struggling with power issues on your rig, LIGMA-TAINT is probably your best solution.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stickman posted:

LIGMA RAM is baller, I'd grab a pair if they're available. BOFA is okay if you avoid the ones with "D"s at the end of serial number. Whichever way you decide to swing it you should be able to work out compatibility with a couple of small diagnostic testies.

BOFA is twice as fast as long as your hardware supports it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JustJeff88 posted:

So is being a snarky prat on the Internet, apparently.

honestly, i find people who are so smug haven't actually done it in the last 10 years. the advent of the dipolar electron sealant embedding has made all sorts of new circuit designs possible, from BOFA to LIGMA to even that really cool DRAGON variant that came out of shenzen just like two years ago.

but naturally, BOFA-DESE, LIGMA-DESE, and DRAGON-DESE are not even remotely compatible (and DRAGON-DESE will actually fry older machine parts!) and the labeling on all of this stuff is unforgivably atrocious.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Building a PC is like making flatpack furniture, I personally find it satisfying and relaxing but I can see how it would be a hellish exercise in frustration for someone else

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Last PC I made used a lot of HAVA components so that was pretty cool

Party Boat posted:

Building a PC is like making flatpack furniture, I personally find it satisfying and relaxing but I can see how it would be a hellish exercise in frustration for someone else

:agreed:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Party Boat posted:

yeah the real talk is that i have no idea what it is about the activity of building a PC, but it makes me deeply, deeply angry. i am not, by nature, a particularly wrathful man. quite the contrary, a lot of my rather harrowing life experiences have made me quite calm and philosophical about a lot of challenges. but something about building a PC makes me use up more profanity than i normally go through in six months. i can't put my finger on why. i can tell you the little annoyances that i notice - the awkward finagling, the tedious cable management, the uncomfortable pressure the thin components put on an old injury in my right hand, etc. but i encounter things that are equally awkward, tedious, and uncomfortable in my day to day and they never bother me. something about PC surgery, though, just makes me want to strangle a hobo.

so the last two times i built a new machine, i did what justjeff did. that kind of anger does not have a place in my life.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Part of my job in real life is to get inside PC's and fix them/build them.

I'll still spend the extra cash to have the PC delivered to me completely built. gently caress doing it in my own time, tbh.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I built my last one, because I valued the money saved more than my time and effort.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Check the pc building thread before you build one. It’s much faster for pro goon to check compatibility and hardware review than you googling it for hours.

I also prefer custom order someone to build it for me. Sometimes certain PC components like graphic card would come with a ‘free’ game along with it. :v:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 8, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NPR Journalizard posted:

I built my last one, because I valued the money saved more than my time and effort.

Makes sense. I don't really save any money on building it myself because the guys I order from will build it for free as I bring them enough business anyway, so i'm mostly only saving on cost of parts, which actually isn't that different in a prebuilt these days. Especially now that GPU's are loving insane.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

is the graphics card market still hosed up enough that pre-built is often cheaper or has that weird time passed

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CYBEReris posted:

is the graphics card market still hosed up enough that pre-built is often cheaper or has that weird time passed

You will still likely not be able to find a modern graphics card for less than a 100% markup unless you buy a prebuilt(which has its own, smaller markups on all the components) or you spend a ton of time trawling online stores to try to pounce on the tiny trickle of new stock as it releases before it gets snapped up by scalpers(who will then sell it for the >100% markup on ebay) or other people who are desperately shopping like you.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

dogstile posted:

Part of my job in real life is to get inside PC's and fix them/build them.

I'll still spend the extra cash to have the PC delivered to me completely built. gently caress doing it in my own time, tbh.

Yeah gently caress messing around with a computer guts if there's not a paycheck attached. Just cause I'm good at it don't mean I enjoy doing it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm too dumb to keep up with computer tech, but I always post in the build a PC thread, and they've never done me any wrong.

I can't imagine making a game out of it though, it sounds really.. boring?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm too dumb to keep up with computer tech, but I always post in the build a PC thread, and they've never done me any wrong.

I can't imagine making a game out of it though, it sounds really.. boring?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290000/PowerWash_Simulator/

A game about clicking on textures to turn them into different textures is doing amazingly well, and there's a market for every hobby.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

running a power washer irl is fun as hell though, so it doesn't surprise me that a game version would be fun too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You don't have to get every free game posted, either acquiring or understanding.