Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidMcNeill3/status/1442693715265421318

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
late to the book recommendations list:

"Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years", David Talbot
"Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World", Mike Davis
"War Plan Orange: The US Strategy to Defeat Japan, 1897-1945", Edward Miller
"The Radicalism of the American Revolution", Gordon S. Wood
"The Wehrmacht's Last Stand", Robert M. Citino
"The Global Minotaur", Yanis Varoufakis
"In The Shadows of the American Century", Alfred W. McCoy
"Armageddon Averted: The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000", Stephen Kotkin
"White Shoe: How a New Breed of Wall Street Lawyers Changed Big Business and the American Century", John Oller
"The Eastern Front 1914-1917", Norman Stone
"German Social Democracy and the Rise of Nazism", Donna Harsch
"Approaching Vietnam: From World War II through Dienbienphu", Lloyd C. Gardner
"The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939", Antony Beevor
"The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome", Michael Parenti
"Deng Xiaoping's Long War", Xiaoming Zhang
"We are Cuba! How a Revolutionary People Have Survived in a Post-Soviet World", Helen Yaffe
"Deng Xiaoping: A Revolutionary Life", Alexander V. Pantsov and Steven I. Levine

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Book lists are dope as hell

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the LBJ series by Robert Caro is great if you want to read extremely in depth biography of an American politician who touched on every transformation in American politics and the Democratic party over the 20th century.

T. Harry Williams biography of Huey Long is also excellent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

the LBJ series by Robert Caro is great if you want to read extremely in depth biography of an American politician who touched on every transformation in American politics and the Democratic party over the 20th century.

oh hell yeah it's been over four years since I last read this but this one is really good too

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Is there any good companion for Benjamin's "Arcades" out there?

I feel like I'm missing a lot, either because of my lack of background knowledge or the translation to English.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Is there any good companion for Benjamin's "Arcades" out there?

I feel like I'm missing a lot, either because of my lack of background knowledge or the translation to English.

Fredric Jameson just published a book on Benjamin that may or may not be good. I also liked Graeme Gilloch's Myth and Metropolis on Benjamin, though it's 25 years old and may be surpassed by now

anyway the thing you need to know when reading Benjamin is that he didn't write books in a conventional way, and the Arcades is basically his effort at making a book entirely out of quotes with no analysis or narrative, and also the Arcades wasn't a book that he finished in his lifetime but more a massive compilation of notes left behind in boxes and file folders when he died so even a good translation is bound to be fragmentary and disjointed, partly because that's what Benjamin was going for and partly because the main organizational structure people go with when publishing the Arcades is "whatever stuff Benjamin had shoved into a single box is one chapter"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

vyelkin posted:

Fredric Jameson just published a book on Benjamin that may or may not be good. I also liked Graeme Gilloch's Myth and Metropolis on Benjamin, though it's 25 years old and may be surpassed by now

anyway the thing you need to know when reading Benjamin is that he didn't write books in a conventional way, and the Arcades is basically his effort at making a book entirely out of quotes with no analysis or narrative, and also the Arcades wasn't a book that he finished in his lifetime but more a massive compilation of notes left behind in boxes and file folders when he died so even a good translation is bound to be fragmentary and disjointed, partly because that's what Benjamin was going for and partly because the main organizational structure people go with when publishing the Arcades is "whatever stuff Benjamin had shoved into a single box is one chapter"

Myth and Metropolis looks like exactly what I’m after, thanks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what if i want to learn about history but dont want big word books and am also a weeaboo

https://twitter.com/agathosbios/status/1442984435415093253

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/graykimbrough/status/1443333396101541896

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those drat plebeians and their insulæ are ruining the Eternal City!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Some Guy TT posted:

what if i want to learn about history but dont want big word books and am also a weeaboo

https://twitter.com/agathosbios/status/1442984435415093253
That made me think of the illustrated adventures of the founding fathers and how Touissant's life would be far more deserving of that treatment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pre Napoleonic era

Reported

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

in early 20th century russia people were concerned that the housing crisis was bad for morality because it led to unmarried cohabitation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pre Napoleonic era

Reported

oh speaking of, does anyone know why there are two history threads? it's such a weird arbitrary division, im pretty sure this forum could handle talking about the ussr and the roman empire in the same thread and im pretty sure i see the same posters in both threads anyway

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vyelkin posted:

oh speaking of, does anyone know why there are two history threads? it's such a weird arbitrary division, im pretty sure this forum could handle talking about the ussr and the roman empire in the same thread and im pretty sure i see the same posters in both threads anyway

The modern history stuff led to some political slapfights while ancient history folks wanted to discuss cuneiform breakup letters so they were separated to keep the slapfights to one thread.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that makes sense i suppose

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it was an old mod decision that could be reversed but doesnt seem necessary since the title change has spiked this ones activity to be similar to other one

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Those drat plebeians and their insulæ are ruining the Eternal City!

those drat *Capite Censi. (plebian was a social class, not an economic class, there were a lot of rich Plebs)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Some Guy TT posted:

it was an old mod decision that could be reversed but doesnt seem necessary since the title change has spiked this ones activity to be similar to other one

in fact iirc it was a flavius decision

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in fact iirc it was a flavius decision

i thought it was twoday and was going to respect it out of that but now im not so sure.

both seem active enough though and it's good to have more specific threads imo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The A/T military history thread has no such division, and tends to rehash WWII a lot. I think having two threads is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chamale posted:

The A/T military history thread has no such division, and tends to rehash WWII a lot. I think having two threads is good.

There is a separate Roman/Ancient history thread, though.

It’s most well-known for the Cyrano dick-sucking thought experiment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Chamale posted:

there seems to be zero interest in ww2 hashing in cspam interestingly

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also grad school history is like trying to drink from a firehose, gently caress

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol yeah learn to skim and enjoy never finishing a book again

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HaroldsBro/status/1443655448456925191

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

"The Price of Inequality" by Joseph Stiglitz was a really fascinating book, if a bit dated by now. It's filled with my little hand-written notes and highlited passages. The author did come to the conclusion at the end that there wouldn't likely be a palatable solution and that it would probably just get worse. I liked his idea of a "Green GDP", however completely unrealistic that is.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

"Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland" was a great read by Christopher Browning. It's a psychological and sociological case study of a unit of brutal Nazi war criminals who are crying and having nervous breakdowns during their first massacre in Jozefow but become mass murderers by the end.

EDIT: Sorry if this one is out of place, I figured it's a good psychology book about the banality of evil.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The Wehrmacht's Last Stand", Robert M. Citino

LOL this guy is my pal and I took a shitload of classes with him at EMU for my history degree. My first class with him, I had already read one of his books, but forgot which class I was in, so when he lectures, I raise my hand and go "Yo dude there was this other author named like... "Citino" or something who said the exact same thing as you." and then he just starts cracking up and said "Yeah that Citino guy rocks." I couldn't figure out why the class was laughing at me until he pointed out he wrote it. I created his Wikipedia page for a laugh but they took down all the jokes. I trolled him by claiming he was an avid Freeper in the original article.

Sergg has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sergg posted:

LOL this guy is my pal and I took a shitload of classes with him at EMU for my history degree. My first class with him, I had already read one of his books, but forgot which class I was in, so when he lectures, I raise my hand and go "Yo dude there was this other author named like... "Citino" or something who said the exact same thing as you." and then he just starts cracking up and said "Yeah that Citino guy rocks." I couldn't figure out why the class was laughing at me until he pointed out he wrote it. I created his Wikipedia page for a laugh but they took down all the jokes. I trolled him by claiming he was an avid Freeper in the original article.

I started out by watching a few of his talks on youtube and moved on to his books because I like his style. He focuses on the German military, but in a way that doesn't descend into being a "wehraboo" or Nazi apologia - the spectre of fascist atrocity is always hanging over whatever the Heer did, and even when he invokes concepts like "honor" and "duty", it always circles back to an honor paid to a madman, and a duty that will drive them to suicidal lunges against an enemy they couldn't beat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sergg posted:

"Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland" was a great read by Christopher Browning. It's a psychological and sociological case study of a unit of brutal Nazi war criminals who are crying and having nervous breakdowns during their first massacre in Jozefow but become mass murderers by the end.

EDIT: Sorry if this one is out of place, I figured it's a good psychology book about the banality of evil.

not out of place at all, it's a psychology book but it's also an extremely influential book on the history of the Holocaust. As you say, it's really good. Extremely heavy, though. It's one of the few history books I've had to consciously take breaks from because it was mentally draining to read.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

America, or 'Marckalada', was known to Genoa by way of Scandinavian merchants in the 14th century.

quote:

THAT VIKINGS crossed the Atlantic long before Christopher Columbus is well established. Their sagas told of expeditions to the coast of today’s Canada: to Helluland, which scholars have identified as Baffin Island or Labrador; Markland (Labrador or Newfoundland) and Vinland (Newfoundland or a territory farther south). In 1960 the remains of Norse buildings were found on Newfoundland.

But there was no evidence to prove that anyone outside northern Europe had heard of America until Columbus’s voyage in 1492. Until now. A paper for the academic journal Terrae Incognitae by Paolo Chiesa, a professor of Medieval Latin Literature at Milan University, reveals that an Italian monk referred to the continent in a book he wrote in the early 14th century. Setting aside the scholarly reserve that otherwise characterises his monograph, Mr Chiesa describes the mention of Markland (Latinised to Marckalada) as “astonishing”.

In 2015 Mr Chiesa traced to a private collection in New York the only known copy of the Cronica universalis, originally written by a Dominican, Galvano Fiamma, between around 1339 and 1345. The book once belonged to the library of the basilica of Sant’Ambrogio in Milan. In Napoleonic times, the monastery was suppressed and its contents scattered. The owner of the Cronica let Mr Chiesa photograph the entire book and, on his return to Milan, the professor gave the photographs to his graduate students to transcribe. Towards the end of the project one of the students, Giulia Greco, found a passage in which Galvano, after describing Iceland and Greenland, writes: “Farther westwards there is another land, named Marckalada, where giants live; in this land, there are buildings with such huge slabs of stone that nobody could build them, except huge giants. There are also green trees, animals and a great quantity of birds.”

Mr Chiesa says that giants were a standard embellishment of faraway places in Norse folklore and, indeed, Galvano cautioned that “no sailor was ever able to know anything for sure about this land or about its features.” The Dominican was scrupulous in citing his sources. Most were literary. But, unusually, he ascribed his description of Marckalada to the oral testimony of “sailors who frequent the seas of Denmark and Norway”.

Mr Chiesa believes their accounts were probably passed on to Galvano by seafarers in Genoa, the nearest port to Milan and the city in which the Dominican monk is most likely to have studied for his doctorate.

His thesis raises a new question: why does the eastern seaboard of America not feature on any known Genoese map of the period? But it could help explain why Columbus, a Genoese, was prepared to set off across what most contemporaries considered a landless void.

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/09/25/a-monk-in-14th-century-italy-wrote-about-the-americas

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah Norse Greenlanders went there to trade with Dorset people and later Inuit (the Dorset culture lived in eastern arctic Canada and Greenland before the Inuit came a few hundred years ago) and possibly to get timber. There was also trade across the Bering Strait and way before 1492 the Inuit used iron tools from Asia. North-America definitely wasn't completely isolated from Eurasia.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I started out by watching a few of his talks on youtube and moved on to his books because I like his style. He focuses on the German military, but in a way that doesn't descend into being a "wehraboo" or Nazi apologia - the spectre of fascist atrocity is always hanging over whatever the Heer did, and even when he invokes concepts like "honor" and "duty", it always circles back to an honor paid to a madman, and a duty that will drive them to suicidal lunges against an enemy they couldn't beat.

He's really a "pull no punches" kinda guy and he said it was basically the honor of a lifetime to get before this huge prestigious history conference and say that the historiography of WW2 has changed and the "Myth of the Good German" is dead according to the consensus of both American and German historians. The Heer and Wehrmacht and its leaders were writ large culpable for the all the war crimes committed by the 3rd Reich. He taught a lot of classes about the Holocaust, the domestic life of Hitler's Germany, how the Nazi Party slowly infiltrated German life, and he said "Without Stalin, USSR would've lost the war." You can't tell him that any other government would've survived in Stalinist Russia's place considering their early losses. He doesn't like to say that out loud too often because other history profs get chuffed about it and nobody wants to go on record as being a Stalin apologist but essentially WW2 would've ended with Berlin getting nuked off the map by US bombers while Germany butchered the helpless population of the Eurasian steppe if Stalin didn't exist.

He also told us that he had read the document himself in which all future disabled German war vets were ordered to be gassed upon the war's conclusion. Nazi Germany crunched the numbers and decided they would have an untenable social welfare and medical system and that 400,000 Wehrmacht/Heer vets were to be "euthanized" once combat operations were over.

Sergg has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Oct 1, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, that's why I gave up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sergg posted:

he said "Without Stalin, USSR would've lost the war." You can't tell him that any other government would've survived in Stalinist Russia's place considering their early losses. He doesn't like to say that out loud too often because other history profs get chuffed about it and nobody wants to go on record as being a Stalin apologist but essentially WW2 would've ended with Berlin getting nuked off the map by US bombers while Germany butchered the helpless population of the Eurasian steppe if Stalin didn't exist.

can you be more specific about what the argument for this is im assuming this is because stalin treated hitler as an existential threat from the moment he showed up and was willing to experience famines among other things in the short term just to make sure the military was up and running for a conflict stalin considered to be inevitable

while i can see this making sense in the context of say tsarist russia or the white russians as alternative governments because both would have chomped at the bit to make a deal with hitler the same as the western powers did id be curious what reasoning if any there would be for say a trotskyist soviet union to not take the threat of hitler as seriously as stalin did

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There was no way for the germans to realistically supply their units in large numbers as far away as Stalingrad and Moscow. The germans were inferior in numbers and technology for the most part. All of the fanciest biggest toughest german tanks were massacred in large numbers easily by the mediocre soviet prewar technology known as the 85mm gun.

I'm not sure how important Stalin was specifically, once the concept of total war took root they were going to grind every human into dust until one side stopped no matter what.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I believe the Stalin was necessary take focuses on him being the only possible soviet leader that would have industrialized the union to the point needed for the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah intro, maybe a chapter or two if you're feeling frisky and conclusion. it's how i got through comps