Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i interviewed with pocket it was a pretty easy thing proctored by hackerrank i think. sql and a little general python. i don't know python so i answered the algo (easy graph traversal stuff) in english and got the on-site. mozilla proper is likely different though. 4 questions iirc - 2 general "can you write code" stuff in python, one "write an sql query," and the graph creation+traversal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I had an interview today and couldn't remember how to do binary search. That's so loving basic and I completely blanked out. I mean, wtf, that's totally on me, I hosed up and that's that. I'm not looking to move or anything, I was approached, but I think that if I don't know that in my sleep or while running from a beast trying to eat me, how can I even pretend to demand the paycheck I'm getting now? Ooof, whatever, moving on.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Volguus posted:

I had an interview today and couldn't remember how to do binary search. That's so loving basic and I completely blanked out. I mean, wtf, that's totally on me, I hosed up and that's that. I'm not looking to move or anything, I was approached, but I think that if I don't know that in my sleep or while running from a beast trying to eat me, how can I even pretend to demand the paycheck I'm getting now? Ooof, whatever, moving on.

It was implemented wrong in an extremely popular standard library for like two decades and then the fix was wrong too, but you're supposed to do it correctly on demand within 10 minutes with an audience because reasons. Don't sweat it!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Volguus posted:

Don't worry about it. Sometimes you bomb interviews for dumb reasons. It doesn't mean you're a bad engineer or shouldn't get paid.

I implemented a specific filter for a production flight control system at work and was asked to implement an identical filter in an interview the next day. I thought I had the interview in the bag, but ended up bombing. I made a mistake and then spiraled into more and didn't even finish the implementation. If I hadn't been in an interview, I would have just looked it up or asked someone and there wouldn't have been an issue.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Volguus posted:

I forgot how to do a "biggest drop" algorithm during a phone screen. Which I had solved before on other phone screens.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
Sometimes during normal work I forget how to do really basic things momentarily like writing a “for” loop or something like that…it’s just muscle memory and if I stop to think about it I actually don’t consciously know how to do it; it’s just in my finger muscles. Same thing with tying a shoe; if I get interrupted part way though I just have to start over because I have no idea how it actually works outside of a primal reflex.

One of these days something like that is going to happen to me during an interview and it’s going to be really awkward/ funny.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
My partner is a senior dev at a series C startup and is thinking of quitting. The stress is unreasonable and unmanageable. Any constructive feedback she gives to her manager and skip-level is largely ignored. On top of all that, she has ADHD and her workplace doesn't understand what that means. One of her coworkers took a medical leave a little while ago for the same reasons and she is now looking into that option (doctor's appointment this Friday). Has anyone taken FMLA for burnout?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

iloverice posted:

My partner is a senior dev at a series C startup and is thinking of quitting. The stress is unreasonable and unmanageable. Any constructive feedback she gives to her manager and skip-level is largely ignored. On top of all that, she has ADHD and her workplace doesn't understand what that means. One of her coworkers took a medical leave a little while ago for the same reasons and she is now looking into that option (doctor's appointment this Friday). Has anyone taken FMLA for burnout?
I took a month off recently using FMLA for burnout. The place I'm working at is so hosed up right now that I can't even tolerate it going full remote.

a) The absence was unplanned. I called my doctor up, they set up an appointment over zoom the next day, and they had all the paperwork ready to go.
b) FMLA only guarantees that you keep your job and medical coverage, not that you get paid for the leave. I had to communicate with a company that does short/long term disability insurance and send over a doctor's note etc. My leave was covered so I got full pay during the break. I did not have to give a reason to my workplace, only a doctor's note saying that I can't work, and a note saying that I could come back.
c) I had to have weekly zoom sessions with my doctor etc.

I would have probably gone longer, but my doctor suggested that if I wasn't doing something like inpatient psychiatric care or group therapy, the insurance company might have questions about the standard of care etc. and the leave might not be covered.

The original plan was that I would try to line up a different job etc. That didn't happen - it turns out it's really difficult to muster up the energy to interview while burned out. Enough of my friends have dispersed to other companies that I don't think the actual switch is going to be a problem when I get around to it.

I do have seven more weeks of FMLA and about a month of vacation time left, and I've heard rumors of unpaid sabbaticals being offered. I also suspect that the parent company is going to axe our division - in which case I would be thrilled to get laid off as well, others that have gotten laid off have told great stories about the severance package.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I once wanted to take short term disability when my appendix exploded, the moment I said those words HR was very eager to give me paid vacation instead. YMMV, of course, since I was only out for a week.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
The big company I work at hands out FMLA like candy. The guys who worked for me would get it for whatever the heck they wanted almost. Doctors just gotta sign the paperwork, and they do because what do they care?

That said, those guys were union & I've never heard of a salaried person taking FMLA. But it seems easy to get on the Doctors end.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Thanks y'all. That helps!

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

iloverice posted:

I am currently on FMLA while getting treatment for persistent depression/anxiety issues. If your partner has a reasonable relationship with her doctor then it should not be difficult.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Is there any reason I'd get 1-2 fit calls a week for NYC teams and 0 calls in three weeks from MTV/SVL teams?

I would have expected there to be even more job openings available in MTV/SVL than NYC, so I'm surprised by the completely different results.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

oliveoil posted:

Is there any reason I'd get 1-2 fit calls a week for NYC teams and 0 calls in three weeks from MTV/SVL teams?

I would have expected there to be even more job openings available in MTV/SVL than NYC, so I'm surprised by the completely different results.

Any number of reasons. My current org is only doing back fills in SF right now, with preferential hiring in Austin and Canada for Americas.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

leper khan posted:

Any number of reasons. My current org is only doing back fills in SF right now, with preferential hiring in Austin and Canada for Americas.

Huh. I'd have expected that to be a quirk of individual teams that is roughly equivalent to NYC. You think that could be a site-wide thing?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

no one wants to hire in sf because they have to pay top of market and the employees try to find creative ways to go work from like utah or idaho within 12 months

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

leper khan posted:

:same:

I was the last SF hire probably for our eng group for a while. At the time it looked like covid was going to wind down when the board was setting priorities in early/mid June ahead of the end of Q2

Then Delta hit mid June (End of Q2) and really took off July-Aug and only in the last week or two has Delta started tapering off. But now the board is gun shy about bulking up SF headcount until Q2 2022 at the earliest. We went from 2 new headcount (FTE) and 4 "near shore" contractors in Q4, to 0 new FTE and 1 near shore contractor, maybe 2 more contractors in Q2, no word on when/if we get new FTEs

There's some other factors involved, but short term they need sprint points completed, they're not focused on local headcount until they're sure they can get people back in the office, and right now that's looking like Q2 2022 at the earliest

I spoke with another teams' (full stack) near shore contractor earlier this week, he was working from a cafe somewhere in Mexico

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 29, 2021

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Oh wow

Yeah that makes sense, why pay SF salary for someone who is going to work from a cheaper location anyway.

Good reminder to never be loyal to these folks because they are always looking to cut whatever corner they can find when dealing with you.

Sucks because I thought the people were good even if the corporation was bad but I guess at a certain level the people are indistinguishable from the corporation.

I pinged my recruiter again early this morning and she replied some time later to tell me a bunch of hiring managers are interested in talking to me.

Like, five of them in the next three days.

Amazing that I can get absolutely zero interest for a month and then suddenly get five fit calls in about two hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Q4 is coming up and hiring plans are probably being finalized in the next couple days

I wouldn't accept any offer until you see what comes in the pipeline during the first week of Q4. Also Q4 is historically a weak quarter for hiring. Finally, about a third of people (wild guess) watching the market are wondering if we're gonna have a 20% market correction soon and if that'll have an impact on their business or not

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Finally, about a third of people (wild guess) watching the market are wondering if we're gonna have a 20% market correction soon and if that'll have an impact on their business or not

This has been true for the past 10 years, there's always the contingent of chicken littles

A broken clock is still right twice a day but it doesn't mean it's correct

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:shrug: getting off topic here a bit, but generally I'm an optimist and even to my eye a 40% run up in stock market value in what by most accounts ought to be either a flat or down year, seems a bit suspect and super leveraged

If you look at the market, it had completely recovered in August 2020, was on track in October 2020 matching the previous 4 years growth and then just kept going. Broken clocks are right twice a day but it's looking a lot closer to noon than it has in a couple of years

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I wish that 20% correction would happen the day before my RSU grant happens.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Common wisdom in financial circles is that we're overdue for a correction, and it'll probably be big, but it's not going to be anything out of the ordinary. If you're in a position where you need to sell in the short term you might take a hit, but those of us who can hold for a while should be fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Common wisdom in financial circles is that we're overdue for a correction, and it'll probably be big, but it's not going to be anything out of the ordinary. If you're in a position where you need to sell in the short term you might take a hit, but those of us who can hold for a while should be fine.

Which is why I'm holding a bunch of bonds to cover my living expenses in the event of a correction...

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Q4 is coming up and hiring plans are probably being finalized in the next couple days

I wouldn't accept any offer until you see what comes in the pipeline during the first week of Q4. Also Q4 is historically a weak quarter for hiring. Finally, about a third of people (wild guess) watching the market are wondering if we're gonna have a 20% market correction soon and if that'll have an impact on their business or not

That makes a lot of sense so I asked my recruiter to take a look at what roles are open on Monday just in case some interesting stuff opens up. Thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I wish that 20% correction would happen the day before my RSU grant happens.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
RSU grants are usually based on a rolling average over some time period and not the stock price at the moment of the grant.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Plorkyeran posted:

RSU grants are usually based on a rolling average over some time period and not the stock price at the moment of the grant.
Yeah, mine are average of one week so

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I wish that 20% correction would happen the dayweek before my RSU grant happens.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

not mine!

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Should I let hiring managers know I'm talking to others during team matching?

I have had fit calls with two Google teams since yesterday and have six more through Monday.

I feel a bit awkward when the hiring manager seems interested and wants to know if I'm interested in moving forward. Not sure if it's a buzzkill to tell them I've got like six more calls before I decide.

Every time I've mentioned it, their facial expression has gone from happy to sour. Even in a lukewarm call a while back where a manager told me he had a couple more calls to make before he could decide, he seemed bothered when I told him I also had a couple more calls to make.

Makes me wonder if I'm violating some social norm by mentioning anything about other teams.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's fine, they know you're looking at other teams. what level are they planning to bring you in at?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

it's fine, they know you're looking at other teams. what level are they planning to bring you in at?

L4.

And this is kinda weird but my recruiter said she sent me to L4 openings and also asked some HMs who wanted L3 if they'd accept an L4 instead and apparently still got interest for a fit call.

Seems like I should emphasize that I enjoyed doing more ambiguous work like tracking down our client teams finding out what they need and what problems we should actually solve, rather than just straight implementing stuff.

Partially because HMs seem to respond better to that than me saying I was just depressed and useless for a year, and partially to filter out anyone who just wants an extra pair of hands to follow explicit instructions like a CME L3... But mostly because that's the work I want to do. I was bored out of my mind just doing heads-down coding till I got a project with ambiguity and room for work beyond coding.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You should mention that, but be careful to avoid making it sound like you don't want to do implementation work. That's a very important part of the job even if you handle some of the more ambiguous parts well.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Good point. I'd probably get a little bored if I did none of that either. Mostly I like variety and novelty.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
A good way to tell managers that is to describe what you were doing at jobs (or parts of jobs) that you liked.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Yeah, that's how I've tried to do it. Reassuring to hear you say that. :)

And I'm surprised there seems to be so much more interest in me from MTV/SVL than NYC.

Previously, my recruiter got 4 fit calls for me in a month with NYC teams.

But in MTV/SVL? I think my recruiter just started sending out my resume a few days ago, and I'm up to 9 fit calls scheduled now.

That's 9 in less than a week vs 4 in a month.

None of the NYC teams even seemed that interested either. They all seemed like they didn't care either way if I joined.

Even a hiring manager that told me I'd just be doing the equivalent of maintenance without room for promo-worthy work in the foreseeable future. I'd have expected them to be excited to have anyone interested at all but then they made an annoyed face, told me they "don't want to deal with that" and wished me luck on finding another team when I asked if applying for remote work would be a possibility. They went from lukewarm to cold as ice and kind of pissed off in a split second.

On the other hand, the MTV/SVL teams I've talked to so far have all implied or directly told me they'd welcome me if I wanted to join.

Maybe the NYC office really is way more competitive, as the rumors say.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 1, 2021

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Anybody done a role transfer from SRE to dev at Google? Or familiar with someone who's done it? I've been working in SRE for a bit over a year, but contemplating a switch if/when I manage to get promo.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Has anyone done or studied any project management stuff btw?

If I'm gonna be working and making money soon then I want to use that money to hire some people to do some personal projects for me, and I'm wondering if there is any knowledge in the project management realm that might make things smoother.

Wanna run a marketing agency on the side and maybe hire a freelance dev to make a game or two.

Vinz Clortho posted:

Anybody done a role transfer from SRE to dev at Google? Or familiar with someone who's done it? I've been working in SRE for a bit over a year, but contemplating a switch if/when I manage to get promo.

Not sure if there is still a split between SE-SRE and SWE-SRE, but if so then your path might change depending on which one you are.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 1, 2021

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

oliveoil posted:

Yeah, that's how I've tried to do it. Reassuring to hear you say that. :)

And I'm surprised there seems to be so much more interest in me from MTV/SVL than NYC.

Previously, my recruiter got 4 fit calls for me in a month with NYC teams.

But in MTV/SVL? I think my recruiter just started sending out my resume a few days ago, and I'm up to 9 fit calls scheduled now.
There's a lot more teams in MTV/SVL that are hiring, I don't think its a competiveness vs just shear numbers

quote:

Even a hiring manager that told me I'd just be doing the equivalent of maintenance without room for promo-worthy work in the foreseeable future. I'd have expected them to be excited to have anyone interested at all but then they made an annoyed face, told me they "don't want to deal with that" and wished me luck on finding another team when I asked if applying for remote work would be a possibility. They went from lukewarm to cold as ice and kind of pissed off in a split second.
This is a manager who doesn't want to actually hire people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

oliveoil posted:

Not sure if there is still a split between SE-SRE and SWE-SRE, but if so then your path might change depending on which one you are.

I'm a SWE-SRE, so the formal process should be smooth, in theory. I'm more concerned with skills and expectations. I've been working almost exclusively on monitoring and defining and implementing SLOs since I started, so not much substantive programming. I haven't really touched C++ since my internship ended in early 2020. With promo I'd only be coming in as an L4, but still…