Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I can hand paint it on, too. I'll check that out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Skails posted:

My hobby output for the month- painted up a Be’lakor.

God dang that’s hot.

Every time I see a well-painted Be’lakor it makes me want to buy one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
On the subject of buying a whole range, kickstarter etc, I did this with Badger's Minitaire line when it had just come out. I was super eager and made some poor financial decisions. I tried all the paints and what I found was that they varied in quality a lot, and they had some properties I was not expecting. For example, using minitaire over certain metallic paints (or those paints with minitaire as a base) would cause the upper coat to bead up like water on rain-x. In the end, I did find some paints in there that I think are really good and that I would want in any kit. On the other hand, a lot of that stuff will be covering terrain.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There is a certain part of our child brain that really wants the 64 box of crayons with the built in sharpener even though we're only going to use half the colors.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eej posted:

I was just double checking my Kickstarter to see when I can modify my RGG wet palette 2 pledge and I noticed that Duncan Rhode's Kickstarter is over in less than two days and has over $1 million pledged. Sheesh!

It's been over a million for almost the entire campaign. We blew through all of the rewards on week one and I guess they didn't expect to do an actual milly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bucnasti posted:

There is a certain part of our child brain that really wants the 64 box of crayons with the built in sharpener even though we're only going to use half the colors.

There's the other part of the adult brain that is OCD and lusts for the satisfaction of a Complete Set.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Painted my Greater Possessed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bucnasti posted:

There is a howler monkey squatting in my brain, convinced that buying this paint/effect/tool is what will get me happily painting day in day out.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Buying something new is an endorphin rush. Paints are tiny and relatively cheap, perfect fodder. Also having a shelf with a set of uniform paints is really satisfying visually. All the cool youtubers have them so it seems like the thing to do. But realistically it doesn't make sense, especially for a beginner.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
When I started painting minis again ( after a 30 year break) I bought an army painter set that had 38 colors, five metallics and three washes. It’s been great. I don’t use all the paints though. At least not regularly.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I bought the army painter set with 50 or so paints and I only use the flesh tones and washes now. Everything else I’ve replaced with much better versions from scale75, Vallejo or AK

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to piggyback paint chat. What true metallics do y'all like? I currently have

Good: GW Retributor Armor, Balthasar Gold, Leadbelcher
Meh: Army Painter Shining Silver
Dogshit: GW Warplock Bronze

Dropper bottles are obviously superior plus I hear of better paints like Scale 75 and Vallejo. I'd be most interested in color replacements for what I already have as well as whatever else you just really like and think I should get.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm going to piggyback paint chat. What true metallics do y'all like? I currently have

Good: GW Retributor Armor, Balthasar Gold, Leadbelcher
Meh: Army Painter Shining Silver
Dogshit: GW Warplock Bronze

Dropper bottles are obviously superior plus I hear of better paints like Scale 75 and Vallejo. I'd be most interested in color replacements for what I already have as well as whatever else you just really like and think I should get.

For acrylic silvers you can't beat the Vallejo Metal Color line. It's fairly fleshed out and you can find any shade between blackened exhaust steel to shiny and chrome.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

For acrylic silvers you can't beat the Vallejo Metal Color line. It's fairly fleshed out and you can find any shade between blackened exhaust steel to shiny and chrome.

VMC are by far the best white metallics. For other colors, copper, gold, bronze, I’m pretty fond of ProAcryl from Monument hobbies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For most people starting out you really just need black, white, grey, dark grey, off white, dark and light shades of each colour and like 10 browns

E: 15 browns to be safe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

VMC are by far the best white metallics. For other colors, copper, gold, bronze, I’m pretty fond of ProAcryl from Monument hobbies.
just to clarify, VMC does not refer to vallejo model colour (their main line of paints), it refers to vallejo metal colour, a specific range of metallic paints. vallejo’s biggest weakness is too many lines of paint with similar names

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Vallejo Air Metals are very good too. They're pretty thin since they're designed for airbrushing, but they still work great with a regular brush.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Air metals are fine but there's really no reason to buy them when you can buy the Metal Colour instead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

jesus WEP posted:

just to clarify, VMC does not refer to vallejo model colour (their main line of paints), it refers to vallejo metal colour, a specific range of metallic paints. vallejo’s biggest weakness is too many lines of paint with similar names

I thought they were talking about the alcohol based Vallejo metals for the longest time.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Scale 75 metallics are absolutely fantastic and I will sing their praises every chance I get.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A couple of my vallejo paint always 'erupt' when I open them, paint just starts bubbling out the top even while holding it vertically.

I get that's it's a pressure buildup issue, but I have no idea where the pressure is coming from.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Mine do that if they get warm from the sun

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I've said this multiple times in this thread, but the best metallic paint I've ever used is a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Metal Air Color + Scale75. It has the coverage of Scale75 and a better application flow than VMAC. The problem with VMAC is the paint is so liquidy that it can run out of control if you aren't careful. It also doesn't have excellent coverage, typically requiring multiple passes to get a solid metal color, especially over strong undercoats. The combination of the two negates the issues of both paints and combines all the pros, so you get perfect smoothness, excellent coverage and you maintain that fine metallic sheen.

Specific color combinations I use:

For bright metallics: VMAC Duralumin + Scale75 Thrash Metal
For dark metallics: VMAC Magnesium + Scale75 Dark Metal

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Skails posted:

Thanks everybody, I really did stick as close as possible to the box art scheme. 20-30 more hours on it might hit heavy metal quality but Im ready to move on!

Undead/Vampires were always my favorite factions but I agree about the mortarchs steed and the morghasts. Something about them feels kinda off. Like they should be cool, but it’s a miss.

Aw man, I absolutely loved painting that model. Yeah, it's dumb, but so are most of the AoS big gaudy models. For some reason, I got about 85% done with mine and still haven't finished it yet; should do that this weekend. There's some stuff on him that I don't like, but this was pretty early on in me getting back into painting minis/playing tabletop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any recommendations for an airbrush setup for just basing and not doing anything crazy?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bottom Liner posted:

Any recommendations for an airbrush setup for just basing and not doing anything crazy?

Badger Patriot 105 for the airbrush all day long.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

EdsTeioh posted:

Badger Patriot 105 for the airbrush all day long.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey you guys, speaking of paints...

Go and enter this gargantuan GW paint range giveaway

You don't need to be subscribed to Warhammer+ for it.

Email your request to enter to GW at competitions@gwplc.com, with the subject line ‘Warhammer+ Competition’ and including your full name and location (state/region and country) in the main body of your email. No purchase necessary.

If you win, all I ask is that you send me some Martian Ironcrust texture paint because I'm running out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Email your request to enter to GW at competitions@gwplc.com, with the subject line ‘Warhammer+ Competition’ and including your full name and location (state/region and country) in the main body of your email. No purchase necessary.

If you win, all I ask is that you send me some Martian Ironcrust texture paint because I'm running out.

Where did you get these application instructions from? The web page just says everyone subscribed to warhammer+ by October 31st will be entered.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Where did you get these application instructions from? The web page just says everyone subscribed to warhammer+ by October 31st will be entered.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...merplus01102021

going to enter although if i won, probably half the pots will have dried out before I ever got to them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Speaking of airbrushes, I have an odd problem I'm not sure how to approach. I AM a beginner air brusher, so I'm sure it's my fault somehow, but my badger patriot appears to work, psi and all, but doesn't actually release paint until I let go of the trigger. So instead of depressing trigger-->pull back to release paint into the air stream, it's depress trigger--> pull back (nothing happens)--> short burst of paint suddenly shoots out as I release trigger forward again.

Anyone know what might cause that and how to fix it?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, I have an odd problem I'm not sure how to approach. I AM a beginner air brusher, so I'm sure it's my fault somehow, but my badger patriot appears to work, psi and all, but doesn't actually release paint until I let go of the trigger. So instead of depressing trigger-->pull back to release paint into the air stream, it's depress trigger--> pull back (nothing happens)--> short burst of paint suddenly shoots out as I release trigger forward again.

Anyone know what might cause that and how to fix it?

Sounds like you have a clog or the paint isn't thinned enough. What does it do with water?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

EdsTeioh posted:

Sounds like you have a clog or the paint isn't thinned enough. What does it do with water?

Water has the same behavior- nothing until I let the trigger forward. I also noticed that this ring here bubbles ever so slightly as well. So I must have some kind of clog or leak there?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

definitely sounds like a clog of some kind, the needle tip doesn't have a bend or anything on it?

the bubbling through that area is actually common at first though, my 105 did it for the first few paint sessions before presumably some paint dried there and sealed it. but the trigger behavior you mention may not be related

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Pull your nozzle; can you see light through it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EdsTeioh posted:

Pull your nozzle; can you see light through it?

Also make sure the brush is not connected to anything when you do this

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also make sure the brush is not connected to anything when you do this

Lol

So I ran some airbrush cleaner through it as best I could, little bursts at a time until whatever was clogging it came loose and it ran full blast again. I must have let some paint dry in there somehow. Ran another capful of cleaner through it until it sprayed clear; hopefully that's enough.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Grab a pack of these:

And some Q-tips. Take apart your airbrush and give it a thorough scrubbing with cleaner and use the interdental brushes to scrub out the nozzle. If you got a clog that loosened from just air then you definitely have some gunk stuck on the side which will make it easier to clog again in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

^^^This x1000. I'd recommend picking up Iwata's cleaning kit also; it has these in it and then a ton of other really good stuff for cleaning.