Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Nox_Aeternus/status/1441406100759273472

Well that's certainly a... shake-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I hope they will be releasing the PDF alone at some point? I ain't spending $45 on a physical copy I can't really and will never use.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I guess you could just buy the pdf, its here for $31.50

https://renegadegamestudios.com/pdf-sabbat-the-black-hand-vampire-the-masquerade-roleplaying-game-pre-order/

I haven't looked through it much yet, but I got that and the book of nod pdf yesterday from physical preorders.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ritorix posted:

I guess you could just buy the pdf, its here for $31.50

https://renegadegamestudios.com/pdf-sabbat-the-black-hand-vampire-the-masquerade-roleplaying-game-pre-order/

I haven't looked through it much yet, but I got that and the book of nod pdf yesterday from physical preorders.

How is the Book of Nod? Is it just the original one?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

How is the Book of Nod? Is it just the original one?

It's just a reprint of the original with nicer binding than a pod version. https://renegadegamestudios.com/the-book-of-nod-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-ed/

the super fancy LARP version is cool as hell but it's....a lot.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

joylessdivision posted:

the super fancy LARP version is cool as hell but it's....a lot.

Yeah I've always wanted a physical copy but the 'normal' one will have to do. I got to check it out at gencon, the silver foil pages were pretty nice.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ritorix posted:

Yeah I've always wanted a physical copy but the 'normal' one will have to do. I got to check it out at gencon, the silver foil pages were pretty nice.

I feel like an idiot because I had an old physical copy my friend had left at my house and never picked up, but unfortunately it was lost at some point. I've got a copy from Drivethru which is fine, although not as nice as the hardcover version.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No deluxe larper physical copy can ever compare to hand-collated and bound comparative noddist volumes where you lay out verses from the Book, Revelations, Erciyes, loose fragments, and Dies Ignis with commentary on the correlations between each verse and a gematric index. Wanna out Noddist the Noddist character? Just put one of those together and get it bound, costs about 200 dollars.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meanwhile Revelations of the Dark Mother lays forgotten just like the Path of Lilith is apparently now a minor Path in the modern Sabbat. I wonder if there's supposed to be any real world meaning in that development.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a shame, too, because Revelations is some glorious nonsense and Brucato at his best. It's the one book you can stop and go 'yeah okay there's probably some actual gematria in here' because the guy almost definitely inserted some.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

…and almost certainly hosed it up, like every other time he’s done anything involving Judaism.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brucato made a flaming hash out of a form of spirituality he barely understands? Unpossible.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
what changes would you make to make Demon a little closer to traditional/pop-religious stories/games about angels and demons (for example In Nomine)? closer to I suppose morality plays as opposed to more value-neutral spy fiction? foreground the redemptionist faction more, or center stories about convincing angels to Fall?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

what changes would you make to make Demon a little closer to traditional/pop-religious stories/games about angels and demons (for example In Nomine)? closer to I suppose morality plays as opposed to more value-neutral spy fiction? foreground the redemptionist faction more, or center stories about convincing angels to Fall?

I'd probably play up Exiles, since they're autonomous Angels who have been cut off from the God-Machine and yet haven't fallen.

I wouldn't say Demon is value-neutral, but it's pretty far from a traditional morality play. I think to get at that you'd probably want to focus on the God-Machine's preservationist side-- it is regularly shown to act in order to preserve human civilization / life on earth. That's just about the only understandable motivation it has. By foregrounding that in the infrastructures and matrices you come close to the "divine preserving autocratic rear end in a top hat / infernal possibly-destructive freedom-loving rebel" you see in somewhat more traditional stories about divine servants.

The other way to do it, which is probably more in line with the setting and IMO is more interesting, is to take a kind of existential view of morality. Demons are free, but what they choose to do with that freedom is still subject to moral scrutiny. You'd probably focus more on other Demons as antagonists in that situation-- Tempters ruining mortals lives, Saboteurs okay with mass civilian casualties if it damages the God-Machine, Integrators willing to sell out their comrades for a faux sense of divine purpose, that kind of thing.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah I don’t mean in the sense of making the god machine “good”, but more like, applying more of a philosophical or moral valence to the struggle against and involving the God-Machine to some extent. But maybe that would take away from the god-machine’s ineffability and incomprehensible ness

E. for example, in In Nomine, demons generally try to get humans to act in ways that are self-expressive but also self-destructive, while the angels generally try to encourage humans to act in self-denial or even self-sacrificing ways. but that doesn’t really come across in DtD. all it takes is you stop following the rituals. which makes a statement in and of itself but it also means that the stakes aren’t quite there. Like, if I ran Demon, I would want angels and demons to really stake claims on human souls beyond just in an operational way of having more Cover dots or less

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2021

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think, thematically, it would be pretty difficult to do something like traditional War on Heaven narratives with Demon: the Descent, because it fights the alienating impersonal-ness of the God-Machine every step of the way. Humanity (human hearts, minds, souls) is the medium and substance of the classic conflict between Heaven and Hell, but the G-M and its Angels, former or otherwise, are invested in humanity only very obliquely.

If you wanted stuff like that to fit into the existing milieu, you would want more focus on humans/human society as material to be won, lost, bargained-for, taken away, etc. in a way that was not necessarily preoccupied with their morality per se, but rather just your ability to predict and control their behavior. Stuff for maintaining/operating your own weird G-M style ops through pirate Infrastructure or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

as crazy as it sounds, this is basically demon the fallen and it's probably the easiest owod game to get into from a metaplot/mechanics standpoint, so I'd just play that instead

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ur-Shulgi should obliterate anyone who enters the mountain without his permission.

quote:

Clan: Children of Haqim
Sire: Haqim
Nature: Traditionalist
Demeanor: Fanatic
Generation: 4th
Embrace: A translation of the Parables of Blood relates Ur-Shulgi's Embrace to "the night when the stones spoke and the skies cried a blood rain."
Apparent Age: Indeterminate, though Ur-Shulgi's small body suggests a young Embrace. Apocrypha suggests 10.
Physical: Unknown
Social: Charisma and Manipulation unknown; Appearance 0, as Ur-Shulgi does not bother to conceal its form unless it is preparing to strike.

Time has not been kind to Ur-Shulgi, nor have the ravages of the beast within him or the numerous enemies he has challenged. He looks like nothing so much as a scarred, burnt child, a young god born from fire and violence. His skin, obsidian-black with age, displays a lattice of scars, some of which weep blood when the methuselah becomes agitated. Here and there, bits of bone and sinew protrude from beneath his skin, as if its body has been flayed. Additionally, Ur-Shulgi's eyes have been either gouged or burnt away, though it claims to be able to see without hindrance. When it deigns to clothe itself, Ur-Shulgi wears unadorned, light-colored caftans and robes, often with a bone or amber necklace.

Its voice seems to billow up from the depths of a dry desert well (surprisingly to some, Ur-Shulgi is perfectly fluent in any modern language in which it is addressed). Ur-Shulgi normally remains motionless when conversing with its childer or other Kindred, unless it wishes to make a rhetorical point through a cat-like flash of violence. If it absolutely has to shift position to do anything other than kill, it does not move so much as flicker from point to point. It is a creature of near perfect violence and does not possess emotions or other attributes recognizable as the human it must have been over 80 centuries ago.

Mental: Unknown
Knowledges: Academics (history) 9, Linguistics 9, Occult 9, others unknown
Disciplines: Auspex 8, Obfuscate 9, Quietus 9, Assamite Sorcery 9, others unknown
Thaumaturgical paths: Unknown; presumably godlike proficiency in the ancient practices
Backgrounds: Unknown
Virtues: Unknown; do such trappings matter to a god?
Morality: Path of Blood (ancient form) 10
Willpower: 10
Derangement: What would be megalomania in a lesser creature

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

quote:

Virtues: Unknown; do such trappings matter to a god?

Isn't the whole loving founding thesis of Vampire: the Masquerade that they do, and that any who think they don't are fooling themselves?

Not that this would have been the only time VTM left that by the wayside.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ur-Shulgi should obliterate anyone who enters the mountain without his permission.

Yes, he really should, shouldn't he? The only source we have on the Sabbat "taking Alamut" is an in-universe report from an unknown source. It's about as unreliable as you can get.

e: in fact, from the replies to that tweet:

Justin Achilli posted:

I mean, that's one account of what happened there....

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

Man, I wish I needed ur-Shulgi explained to me but that is useless knowledge I will carry forever.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I actually missed out on the actual Ur-Shugli deets all this time, aside from third-hand mentions of their being scary as hell (man, 'it' is really dated there) and killing all (most of?) the muslim assamites.

I don't really have much more information than I did before, but numbers big, I guess.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I actually missed out on the actual Ur-Shugli deets all this time, aside from third-hand mentions of their being scary as hell (man, 'it' is really dated there) and killing all (most of?) the muslim assamites.

I don't really have much more information than I did before, but numbers big, I guess.

He might be one of the original Bali depending on which stories are true

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I think when referring to ancient monsters we can use "it," I don't think that's offensive to them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cool Dad posted:

I think when referring to ancient monsters we can use "it," I don't think that's offensive to them.

It's borderline. I still feel off whenever I see Vykos referred to as an "it"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, don't buy into vampire hype just because they're old and dusty. ur-Shulgi should absolutely get taken out to lunch by the Sabbat because they are lame and boring.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah I don’t mean in the sense of making the god machine “good”, but more like, applying more of a philosophical or moral valence to the struggle against and involving the God-Machine to some extent. But maybe that would take away from the god-machine’s ineffability and incomprehensible ness

E. for example, in In Nomine, demons generally try to get humans to act in ways that are self-expressive but also self-destructive, while the angels generally try to encourage humans to act in self-denial or even self-sacrificing ways. but that doesn’t really come across in DtD. all it takes is you stop following the rituals. which makes a statement in and of itself but it also means that the stakes aren’t quite there. Like, if I ran Demon, I would want angels and demons to really stake claims on human souls beyond just in an operational way of having more Cover dots or less

You could always make the G-M have some key infrastructure in place that is reliant on a specific population of humans behaving in a specific way, and the demons are trying to undermine it by discouraging that behavior without popping up on the radar of the angels tasked with maintaining that infrastructure. For example, I once ran a game where a key component of some concealment infrastructure relied on a specific group of friends remaining completely self-absorbed and devoid of introspection.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Holy poo poo if you ever wanted a perfect representation of an elder whose taken a few levels of agg damage but keeps on ticking, check out tonights WWDitS.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, don't buy into vampire hype just because they're old and dusty. ur-Shulgi should absolutely get taken out to lunch by the Sabbat because they are lame and boring.
Why should ur-Shulgi lose becasue the Sabbat are lame and boring? That's another reason he should win. He's interesting and they're not.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I think the interpretation that the Sabbat took Alamut is a bit off or maybe backwards. The in-game author of that bit was not Sabbat, but a Banu Hakim that was forced out of Alamut (they refer to their 'rafiq', warrior caste, being unable to approach Alamut). It says these folks control Alamut now:

-'an Ancient who was Ancient when the children of Caine were young, a killer of killers'. Ur-Shulgi.

-'a witch with three eyes whose vitae enthralls in a single draught.' Some Salubri? Paging anyone with encyclopedic knowledge of WoD NPCs.

-'a cult that reveres yet dreads the rising of those who have been judged' Which sounds like the Sabbat.

That same piece shifts focus to talk about weird murders in a nearby village, mentions just how good apartheid Israel is at running a Second Inquisition, and details the Cult of Caine gaining influence among the Ashirra of Cairo. According to the author, all of these threads link back to Alamut. Cult of the Blood Gods also had some speculation about 'hmm how is this Cult of Caine back after a thousand years, it's almost like a methuselah did it'.

So if anything, it sounds like Ur-Shulgi is cultivating pro-diablerie (Cult of Caine/Sabbat) groups and even the Inquisition to do...something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Sounds a little more like the Talmahera.

EDIT:
Regarding the other two... I'm not sure the first is necessarily Ur-Shulgi, though he's a good fit. There are a bunch of things that could fit the standard, and not having been paying attention to V5 or having read the book in question I wouldn't want to comment on which it might be too much, but something about it doesn't quite seem right. Ur-Shulgi is from the Second City, a terrible child (and yes, age can be slowed or halted, but nonetheless). To be ancient when Caine's childer are young - and here we must be willing to consider a literal meaning, not just a 'all the children of caine' but specifically his childer - doesn't fit that. It still may be them, of course.

The three-eyed witch I'm not familiar. Salubri is obvious, and Rayzeel is still knocking about, but the bit about her blood being thrice-binding in one sip doesn't ring a bell. It suggests thaumaturgy is in play some how. The Terror Option is that it's actually a straight Baali takeover with Ur-Shulgi and another of the First Three together comprising the Unnamed One (the old theory of it being a pair of lovers, perhaps), and the third eye a holdover akin to those some Tremere manifest.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 1, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A bunch of Assamite Antitribu left the Sabbat and joined the Ur-Shulgi faction back in the day, iirc.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

ritorix posted:

-'a cult that reveres yet dreads the rising of those who have been judged' Which sounds like the Sabbat.
Maybe a bit on the nose but this could be the amkhat (the cannibal cult from mummy).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

A bunch of Assamite Antitribu left the Sabbat and joined the Ur-Shulgi faction back in the day, iirc.

Yeah. It took some wind out of the Black Hand's sails because a lot of their oldest antitribu were there in hopes that the Sabbat would eventually break the Tremere's blood curse and then ur-Shulgi did it by, like, blowing on it so away they went.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. It took some wind out of the Black Hand's sails because a lot of their oldest antitribu were there in hopes that the Sabbat would eventually break the Tremere's blood curse and then ur-Shulgi did it by, like, blowing on it so away they went.

Part of my brain took the last line of your post as a turn of phrase, but the part of my brain that stores WOD nonsense says "No that's probably literally how it happened, because oWoD"

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
My recollection is that Ur-Shulgi's main innovation was to treat the 100+ Banu Haqim deaths necessary to break the Tremere blood curse as less of a downside and more of a chance to hit two birds with one stone.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, is there a website or zine that publishes Changeling: The Lost material? I'm working with someone on a set of encounters where fey entrap mortals in gameshow-style situations and I'd rather not deal with posting it to the Vault and trying to promote it myself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did the Grail Knights ever get updated for V20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just had a friend point out that the biggest event in the sabbat calendar, the palla grande, means a big ball, not a big ball.