Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

SerCypher posted:

I feel like there would be literal riots and blood on the streets if they took away/altered peoples gacha waifus/husbandos.

the genshin massacres of 2022 will be just another day when nothing happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Chinese games/media set to become even more boring and mediocre.

I look forward to the inevitable meltdowns about how Taiwanese depictions of China become more common, because they actually let people tell stories.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

I look forward to the inevitable meltdowns about how Taiwanese depictions of China become more common, because they actually let people tell stories.

It could result in something interesting. There are lots of historical examples of people hiding some risqué or subversive messages in art.

But it's the games industry, so probably not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dongsturm posted:

It could result in something interesting. There are lots of historical examples of people hiding some risqué or subversive messages in art.

Dr. Wertham, don't doxx yourself.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dongsturm posted:

Well, as the case has been proven by Kung Fu Panda, we already know that TV/Movies from China are lol, so now that games ar joining them...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

when I went to the bug panda reserve in Chengdu (which ruled and is still the highlight of anything I ever went to in China) they had a big screen in the front playing Kung Fu panda clips.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
But doctor, I *am* Pagliacci historically nihilistic.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Devotion posted:

On February 21, 2019, two days after the game's release, players discovered a fulu talisman decorating a wall in the game contained the words "Xi Jinping Winnie the Pooh" (Chinese: 習近平小熊維尼) in Chinese seal script

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xerxes17 posted:

Did you say Journey to the West?

Over and over and over again!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

lol. Every one of the people involved with that game are going to get Jack Ma'd.

If they're lucky.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

keep expanding your forehead until it gets stuck in doorways and hallways

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

lol. Every one of the people involved with that game are going to get Jack Ma'd.

If they're lucky.

Hard to get Jack’d when you’re in Taiwan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did you say Journey to the West?

Over and over and over again!

No, you can also have little a Romance of the Three Kingdoms as a treat.

But that's it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not my genshin, noooooooooooo!

Somebody saw their earnings and want a cut.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No, you can also have little a Romance of the Three Kingdoms as a treat.

But that's it.

Alright alright you can have a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle Nezha too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

it certainly reads like that's where they've set their crosshairs

It really does read like somebody got pissed about a character drop in Genshin Impact. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Request thread title be changed to this picture. Don't say it can't be done, just do it.

https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1443777124825927682?s=20

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dongsturm posted:

There's no way that censors won't be on the lookout for this

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Xerxes17 posted:

Devotion had a good start already

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/07/05/devotion-rerelease-taiwan-china/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I really want this to be someone's av.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I really want this to be someone's av.

if i didn't like mine i would

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Request thread title be changed to this picture. Don't say it can't be done, just do it.

https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1443777124825927682?s=20

yoink

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Anyone have access to that article? I know its the Economist and all but I still want to read it and they don't give free article reads.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Giggle Goose posted:

Anyone have access to that article? I know its the Economist and all but I still want to read it and they don't give free article reads.

Xi jinping is waging a campaign to purge China of capitalist excesses. China’s president sees surging debt as the poisonous fruit of financial speculation and billionaires as a mockery of Marxism. Businesses must heed state guidance. The party must permeate every area of national life. Whether Mr Xi can impose his new reality will shape China’s future, as well as the ideological battle between democracy and dictatorship.

His campaign is remarkable for its scope and ambition. It started to rumble in 2020, when officials blocked the initial public offering of Ant Group, an affiliate of Alibaba, a tech giant. It is thundering onward, having so far destroyed perhaps $2trn of wealth. Didi, a ride-hailing outfit, has been punished for listing its shares in America. Evergrande, an indebted property developer, is being driven towards default. Trading on cryptocurrency exchanges has been banned as, more or less, has for-profit tutoring. Gaming is bad for children, so it must be strictly rationed. China needs larger families, so abortion must become rarer. Male role models should be manly and celebrities patriotic. Underpinning it all is Xi Jinping Thought, which is being drummed into the craniums of six-year-olds.

This comes on top of an already brutal authoritarianism. As president, Mr Xi has purged his rivals and locked up over 1m Uyghurs. He polices debate and will not tolerate dissent. The latest campaign will show whether he is an ideologue bent on grabbing power for himself, even if growth slows and people suffer, or whether he is a strongman willing to temper dogma with pragmatism. His vision, in which party control ensures that business is aligned to the state and citizens dutifully serve the nation, will determine the fate of 1.4bn people.

Mr Xi is tackling real problems—indeed, many of them have parallels in the West. One is inequality. The slogan of the moment is “common prosperity”, reflecting how Communist China remains as unequal as some capitalist countries. The top 20% of China’s households take home over 45% of the country’s disposable income; the top 1% own over 30% of household wealth (see Free exchange). Another concern is the clout of tech giants accused of unfair competition, corrupting society and having unfettered access to personal data (only the state has that privilege). A third is strategic vulnerability, particularly the threat that adversaries will obstruct access to commodities and vital technologies.

Yet Mr Xi’s campaign poses a threat to China’s economy. Pain from unravelling the debt of firms like Evergrande could spread unpredictably. Property developers are sitting on $2.8trn of borrowing. Property development and the industries that cater to it underpin about 30% of China’s gdp. Households have parked their savings in real estate partly because other assets offer a poor return. Households’ spending on unfinished property accounts for half of developers’ funding. Local governments, especially outside the big cities, depend on land sales and property development to generate revenue.

The crackdowns are also making business harder and less rewarding. The party had been creating a regulatory and legal framework, but Mr Xi is imposing big top-down changes so fast that regulation has started to seem arbitrary. Consider, for example, “tertiary redistribution”, in which shamed tech companies hand over cash to the state in an attempt to redeem themselves.

Because conspicuous success is dangerous, private companies will be more cautious. State-owned firms and strategic industries—including “hard-tech” such as semiconductors—may benefit, but not the entrepreneurs who have been the true source of China’s dynamism. One measure of anxiety is that foreigners, who are not bottled in by capital controls, pay 31% less than mainland investors for identical Chinese stocks. The gap has grown sharply since early 2020.

All this threatens to puncture China’s economy. It was already facing a squeeze from declining returns to infrastructure investment and the effects of a shrinking workforce and growing numbers of aged dependents. After 40 years of breakneck expansion, most Chinese are completely unfamiliar with the hard choices that a sharp, sustained slowdown will impose.

In politics the danger is that Mr Xi’s campaign degenerates into a cult of personality. To bring about change, he has grabbed more power than any leader since Mao Zedong. As he prepares to break with protocol at the Communist Party’s 20th congress next year by claiming a third five-year presidential term, he is using the campaign to organise a huge turnover in personnel, as the basis for an ideological crackdown and as the reason why he should remain at the helm. Each of these contains dangers.

One is that the bureaucracy fails him. Mr Xi wants it to be responsive to market signals, but with promotions and purges in the air, China’s officials are jumpy. One cause of the power cuts in 20 or so provinces in recent weeks was the panic of bureaucrats who suddenly realised that they were likely to miss their carbon-reduction targets. Equally, however, officials fearful of being accused of corruption or ideological deviance by their rivals tend to sit on their hands. Failure is dangerous for a bureaucrat who takes the initiative; so is success.

Another danger stems from the ideological crackdown. “Moral review councils” and “moral clinics” are enforcing orthodox behaviour using public shaming. Although there is as yet no prospect of anything as awful as the Cultural Revolution, Chinese people are becoming less free to think and talk. As well as promoting his own doctrines, Mr Xi has played up Red nostalgia and cast Maoism as a vital stage in building a New China, broadening his support before the party congress.

Last come the politics of Mr Xi himself. In the long run, if he clings to power the succession could prove highly unstable. In the short run, if his attempt to impose a new reality does not go to plan, he will face a fateful choice to double down or step back. Up to this point, repression looks more likely than compromise.

Western governments are also struggling with tech firms, inequality and national security. In America Congress has risen to the occasion by contemplating a default on the national debt. Some may envy Mr Xi’s scope to get things done fast. But to imagine he has the right answers would be a big mistake.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Thank you friend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

A thing of beauty.

Just needs the Ghengis Khan VR quote from The Simpsons.

quote:

Hello, Lisa! You'll go where I go, defile what I defile, genocide who I genocide!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 1, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Stink Billyums posted:

Xi jinping is waging a campaign to purge China of capitalist excesses. China’s president sees surging debt as the poisonous fruit of financial speculation and billionaires as a mockery of Marxism.

I mean, sounds legit.
The problem with the economist making legit points re: authoritarianism is, it's still the economist, and therefore everyone knows at the back of their mind that it's fully in favour of the absolute authority of whoever has the most money.
Doesn't make what they say any more or less true, but still.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol yeah the West is doing something with inequality but I wouldn't call it 'struggling'

bears struggling with woods, pope struggling with catholicism, etc

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

Western governments are also struggling with tech firms, inequality and national security. In America Congress has risen to the occasion by contemplating a default on the national debt.

How does defaulting on the national debt address tech firms, inequality and national security in America in any way?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There's no way that censors won't be on the lookout for this

Yes, but whoever pulls it off will be crowned the greatest troll of all time. Probably posthumously.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Xerxes17 posted:

Well, as the case has been proven by Kung Fu Panda, we already know that TV/Movies from China are lol, so now that games ar joining them...

I thought only the 3rd one was done by a Chinese studio?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

It was a joint US-Chinese production, but all three were extremely popular in China. Rumors abound about the Party mad that a bunch of Americans made a movie better depicting two opposing Chinese philosophies than any Chinese kids movie has.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

Somebody saw their earnings and want a cut.

100%

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Miao/Qo-Xiong used to have a written language before the communists killed it. There are things that look like they could be phonetic characters woven into my wife's wedding costume but she couldn't tell you if that's the case or what anything signifies. State sponsored censorship is bad and wrong.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

but flag red and has star???

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

:thejoke:

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

McGavin posted:

How does defaulting on the national debt address tech firms, inequality and national security in America in any way?

It doesn't. That's the point they're making.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ah, sorry. I haven't seen that one, presumably it ain't good?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Ah, sorry. I haven't seen that one, presumably it ain't good?
The review I got was "cute baby panda overload".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don Gato posted:

It was a joint US-Chinese production, but all three were extremely popular in China. Rumors abound about the Party mad that a bunch of Americans made a movie better depicting two opposing Chinese philosophies than any Chinese kids movie has.

I always found the salt over that and zootopia rather funny.

gently caress Avatar still kinda haunts me for its creativity and good writing.

The damage of the cultural revolution and the fear of tanking the socail credit score or worse means the parties censors are very bad about making some distinct entertainment not to even mention art.

They really shoulda hire some western PR/propaganda people take the book on xi's thoughts and make some "entertainment" that incorporate it.

Now we dont even have the hongkong movies anymore.