Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ooh I spotted the witty part...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Ew Jersey.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nited States of America

because the power infrastructure is gonna break and leave everything dark.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All my exes live in exas.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

And researchers have spent entire careers producing useless output by mashing together enormous datasets and looking for the statistically-significant noise that will inevitably be found if you do enough of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wansink

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0956797611417632

Oh dang. I've referenced the soup bowl thing positively before, so it's a bummer to find out this dude sucks.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Assachusetts checking in. (Though currently in Ew York).

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

BonHair posted:

"you should always do a linear axis plot" doesn't sound like particular good advice honestly. Especially when given a specific hypothesis to test that doesn't even require plotting.

But on the other hand, I do like hidden gorilla experiments.

I don't know, given two numerical values, a quick scatterplot is a quick and easy sanity check on your data. I always want to get a feel for what the numbers I've been given look like before I start running anything more in-depth.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If you are given a bivariate dataset and your first idea isn't to plot it you have broken instincts about data.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chin Strap posted:

If you are given a bivariate dataset and your first idea isn't to plot it you have broken instincts about data.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

I don't think that's what they were driving at, more just "play around with the data some first instead of going straight for your goal"

And every time you look to check for significance you do you need to shrink your target probability. Quick and dirty method (Bonferroni) is to just divide by the number of tests (so if you're using 5% and do two tests, you actually need 2.5%), but there's some nuance in what actually constitutes a 'test', and it's generally considered to be erring on the side of too-harsh.

The other advice I got was that if you eyeball a graph aimlessly you should count that as running a couple statistical tests, and that if this ended up being a problem for your confidence interval, you should design a better experiment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tunicate posted:

The other advice I got was that if you eyeball a graph aimlessly you should count that as running a couple statistical tests, and that if this ended up being a problem for your confidence interval, you should design a better experiment.

This is bad advice. Either you're doing exploratory analysis, in which case you shouldn't be running tests, or you're doing confirmatory data analysis, in which case you should only be plotting your data for quality control. If you're using the same data set for exploration and confirmation, you're doing something wrong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eh, insofar as p-values are useful, you should still pay attention to them when doing a pilot study. You probably shouldn't get excited and set up a next experiment if you try 20 hypotheses and one of them beats the 0.05 mark.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't tell if Poland is indecisive or coming straight for you :ohdear:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So, wait ... That's what the pedestrian crossing signs look like, isn't it?

I was so certain it was some sort of political stuff, at first.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The UK and Ireland guys walking away from each other seems about right.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
No AmpelMann chart is useless :colbert:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

No AmpelMann chart is useless :colbert:

Yep they are called Ampelmännchen! The Germans named it first again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampelm%C3%A4nnchen

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The former USSR should really see a doctor about that growth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Russia’s is doing the Gimli–Patterson Bigfoot walk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Russia’s is doing the Gimli–Patterson Bigfoot walk.

I thought the same thing about the UK.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1443628578483183623?s=19

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Chin Strap posted:

:hai:

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know Poland is always a weird outlier on these maps but I think this one is fake news? The Polish “no pedestrians” sign does look like this, but both the crosswalk sign and the pictogram on traffic lights have a standard walking man. Source: am Polish.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

DashingGentleman posted:

I know Poland is always a weird outlier on these maps but I think this one is fake news? The Polish “no pedestrians” sign does look like this, but both the crosswalk sign and the pictogram on traffic lights have a standard walking man. Source: am Polish.
⚠️ This post possibly contains original research.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wait a minute, that's supposed to be "Labama" :crossarms:

that being said, "ew jersey" is totally accurate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DashingGentleman posted:

That makes a lot more sense but I'm also sad to learn it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I like the idea that at least one student plotted the data, identified the gorilla, assumed the professor just threw it in there as an easter egg and did the analysis anyway because they assumed the point was to show you could analyze a dataset and not identify something so stupid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

World War Mammories posted:

wait a minute, that's supposed to be "Labama" :crossarms:

that being said, "ew jersey" is totally accurate

Yeah I saw that and rolled my eyes.

I love how Indiana is now... Ndiana so there's no real change in pronunciation. And Utah to just "Tah" makes me giggle.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I once had the pleasure of seeing a biology prof go on a frustrated rant at a 300-level class on invertebrates that unless you saw the spider bite you it probably wasn't a spider because spiders almost never bite, and it definitely wasn't a brown recluse because we live in Canada, no he doesn't care what your cousin in Saskatchewan says, we don't have them, and a dedicated group of students just refusing to accept this and arguing with him, and then it escalating to the prof emailing all of us, twice, with various sources about the non-biteyness of spiders and the normal range of the brown recluse.

He'd appreciate this but it would probably be weird to email him this.

That was the class I was saddest about when COVID made us go online mid-semester.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spread a rumour that the library is infested with Mediterranean recluse spiders, as was the University of Michigan Ann Arbor’s.

The Finnish Museum of Natural History has Chilean recluses and those things are even worse.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RoboRodent posted:

I once had the pleasure of seeing a biology prof go on a frustrated rant at a 300-level class on invertebrates that unless you saw the spider bite you it probably wasn't a spider because spiders almost never bite, and it definitely wasn't a brown recluse because we live in Canada, no he doesn't care what your cousin in Saskatchewan says, we don't have them, and a dedicated group of students just refusing to accept this and arguing with him, and then it escalating to the prof emailing all of us, twice, with various sources about the non-biteyness of spiders and the normal range of the brown recluse.

He'd appreciate this but it would probably be weird to email him this.

That was the class I was saddest about when COVID made us go online mid-semester.

You should definitely email him, best case it's hilarious to hear that story, worst case he just ignores you :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Did you find a spider?
YES --> Squish it
NO --> Then who cares

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

spiders are your friends, they just really want to make you a nice silky blanket to roll up in

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did you find a spider?
YES --> Squish it
NO --> Then who cares

Rude. Spiders are friends.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Did you find a spider?
YES --> Squish it
NO --> Then who cares

Spiders eat the actual annoying bugs while keeping to themselves. Do not squish them please.

Also always tell the nice teacher that they made an impression.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm gonna squish any spider I find, I'd rather deal with the bugs they eat :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Spiders are stored in the Georg.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Spiders are friends and can live in my apartment. They just can't touch me or spin webs or they get put on guard duty outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I'm gonna squish any spider I find, I'd rather deal with the bugs they eat :colbert:

The mosquito and housefly defender has logged on, I see.