Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

the Squamish nation, and every First Nation in Canada, are to this day struggling to maintain even the right to exist without being exploited, marginalized and brutalized, the exact opposite of the traditional land owning class

they're allowed to play the game to keep it together, double points for subverting modern godawful urban development, complainers can gently caress off.

I hate cars :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Also decolonize the common areas!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's been a while since I read my urban theory but I am pretty sure that Le Corbusier was the first prominent architect/urban thinker to propose a city where all the city's functions are separated from each other by huge distances and everyone gets in their car and drives to work on enormous highways and then after work they drive to whatever restaurant or shop they want on different giant highways and then when that's finished they drive back to their home on a third giant highway

like he took one look at a dense urban environment where strangers had to intermingle with one another as they went about their daily business, recoiled in horror, and started planning for how to make it so that such a nightmare would never ever happen again

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I never thought the produce was great. Otherwise yeah, you have to buy giant cans of tomato sauce to make it worth it because you aren’t going to really save on electronics, meat, liquor etc.

Admittedly, It depends on the person but the last time I was there I was really struggling to find much that was substantially cheaper without buying a huge portion that is going to be wasted or take up too much space. If you are going to eat a 25 pound bag of rice, it is different but a 60 dollar members up ply the sheer hassle of it, eh pass.

I'll agree that the produce is generally B tier, but yeah I'll buy a big can of tomato sauce use what I need and jar and freeze the rest. Not a big deal. 25lbs of rice, well rice can be stored long term very well.

Without derailing further, if you can't use up the plus sized portions or don't have space I'll agree that it's probably not the best store for an individual.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

good morning, car thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs

:coffeepal:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

vyelkin posted:

it's been a while since I read my urban theory but I am pretty sure that Le Corbusier was the first prominent architect/urban thinker to propose a city where all the city's functions are separated from each other by huge distances and everyone gets in their car and drives to work on enormous highways and then after work they drive to whatever restaurant or shop they want on different giant highways and then when that's finished they drive back to their home on a third giant highway

like he took one look at a dense urban environment where strangers had to intermingle with one another as they went about their daily business, recoiled in horror, and started planning for how to make it so that such a nightmare would never ever happen again

My take was he was into massive brutalist projects, but there would still be some type of public transportation connecting them. He wanted to eradicate the then current urban landscape and pretty much have people living in massive skyscrapers connected with skybridges. I would say at least the trend to massive brutalist buildings was going to happen with new construction techniques.

It was a terrible plan and helped inspired poor decisions, but Moses specifically was more of a car zealot. That said, I think that entire generation of planning should be condemned.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:15 on Oct 1, 2021

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

here in my car i feel safeist of all, i sing trapped in a wheel well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

My take was he was into massive brutalist projects, but there would still be public transportation connecting them. He wanted to eradicate the then current urban landscape and pretty much have people living in what could be allied arcologies.

arcologies are gonna own if we don’t destroy ourselves before we start making them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sphyre posted:

as much as i'd like to get rid of cars entirely, and of course metros are excellent, in practice the underground/overhead/monorail argument is usually deployed by concern trolls who don't want road space to be allocated away from cars and to other users

plus getting on and off a tram at street level is nice.

No it's because the regional rail line I use is entirely elevated from downtown to the end of my town, then it goes at grade, then goes below ground, then back to at grade. The at grade intersections have accidents all the loving time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

arcologies are gonna own if we don’t destroy ourselves before we start making them

I mean it may simply happen because of climate change but looking at Dubai...it would actually kind of suck to live there. (I mean you would be pretty much living inside giant shopping mall/condo tower). That said, we do live in a dystopia so why not.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

No it's because the regional rail line I use is entirely elevated from downtown to the end of my town, then it goes at grade, then goes below ground, then back to at grade. The at grade intersections have accidents all the loving time.

lets remove the things hitting the tram instead unless the trams are colliding then lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I mean it may simply happen because of climate change but looking at Dubai...it would actually kind of suck to live there. (I mean you would be pretty much living inside giant shopping mall/condo tower). That said, we do live in a dystopia so why not.

I mean a true sci fi arcology with like indoor farmland and parks and subways and vacuum tube elevators and also gundams

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

imagine we allocated 89% of outdoor space to movement and parking for gundams instead of cars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Suplex Liberace posted:

lets remove the things hitting the tram instead unless the trams are colliding then lol

Lots of pedestrians die on the tracks too, let's make it so the only thing left in the world is trains running around on their own power

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

My take was he was into massive brutalist projects, but there would still be some type of public transportation connecting them. He wanted to eradicate the then current urban landscape and pretty much have people living in massive skyscrapers connected with skybridges. I would say at least the trend to massive brutalist buildings was going to happen with new construction techniques.

It was a terrible plan and helped inspired poor decisions, but Moses specifically was more of a car zealot. That said, I think that entire generation of planning should be condemned.

you're not wrong, and Le Corbusier did technically include some public transit in his plans, but stuff like the Ville Contemporaine were designed around destroying the street and getting rid of chance encounters by segregating urban zones from one another and segregating forms of transportation from one another and then connecting the different zones primarily with massive highways. And even though nobody ever actually built a city according to one of Le Corbusier's sterile plans, they were really influential in the planning of horrible modernist cities like Brasilia

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am okay with this being the urban planning thread, the other one kind of ran out of gas.

That said, as much as Brazilia sucks, I would still prefer it to the typical American suburb. At least some type of urban life is possible even if it is regimented and still very car centric.

The Soviets were able to take some of those ideas and make them kind of work by actually putting in green space and local amenities coupled with more robust public transportation. Obviously, cars still did their damage. (There is an argument to be made about Singapore as well).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Oct 1, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
everyone banging out paragraphs just to get to the crux of the point:] i hate cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I never thought the produce was great. Otherwise yeah, you have to buy giant cans of tomato sauce to make it worth it because you aren’t going to really save on electronics, meat, liquor etc.

Admittedly, It depends on the person but the last time I was there I was really struggling to find much that was substantially cheaper without buying a huge portion that is going to be wasted or take up too much space. If you are going to eat a 25 pound bag of rice, it is different but a 60 dollar members up ply the sheer hassle of it, eh pass.

(Also, there are random things like glasses frames that can be cheaper, but if you don’t need them, what do you got...giant bags of beef jerky?)

I was at a costco once with someone who was a member (they were getting food for a large event) and it was the most american thing I'd ever seen

hmmm we need eggs, oh there's a 67 (?) pack

The only thing it'd be good for would be a large family, or if you are single, paper goods, canned stuff, stuff that can freeze a long time, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

everyone banging out paragraphs just to get to the crux of the point:] i hate cars

:hmmyes:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Costco isn't rocket science y'all, you make two shopping lists. One is Costco the other is your normal store.

You go to Costco once every month or so and get toilet paper, assorted otc medications, motor oil, eggs, bulk cereal, cheese, really good quality free range beef, etc. You only buy things there that are cheaper than elsewhere. Think of it as a bulk Amazon that treats their employees better.

Then you get the rest of your grocery items at the normal store. For certain things, and only certain things, Costco provides really good deals. You just have to figure out what those things are.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve heard Costco is one of the if not the best place to work in terms of big box retail, plus cheap hutdogs and pizza. and their produce is fine for juicing

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Costco isn't rocket science y'all, you make two shopping lists. One is Costco the other is your normal store.

You go to Costco once every month or so and get toilet paper, assorted otc medications, motor oil, eggs, bulk cereal, cheese, really good quality free range beef, etc. You only buy things there that are cheaper than elsewhere. Think of it as a bulk Amazon that treats their employees better.

Then you get the rest of your grocery items at the normal store. For certain things, and only certain things, Costco provides really good deals. You just have to figure out what those things are.

not surprisingly Costco here is only in the suburbs, and gently caress going into the suburbs

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Weird. I shop at Costcos biggest store in the world, located right in downtown salt lake city.

That said you could make the argument that salt lake city is one of the worlds biggest suburbs, so that fits. But around here you drive from the suburbs into downtown to go to Costco.

I definitely never shopped there when I lived in the twin cities save for a single Costco liquor store trip once

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Weird. I shop at Costcos biggest store in the world, located right in downtown salt lake city.

That said you could make the argument that salt lake city is one of the worlds biggest suburbs, so I'll have to think on that.

Salt Lake City should not exist because the Mormons should not have been allowed to escape Missouri

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Agreed. Though some city would probably be here, I often daydream what it'd look like if the Mormons never came. It'd probably be way fuckin cooler but maybe also more blown out?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That said you could make the argument that salt lake city is one of the worlds biggest suburbs, so that fits. But around here you drive from the suburbs into downtown to go to Costco.

I definitely never shopped there when I lived in the twin cities save for a single Costco liquor store trip once

yeah there is a costco business near me, but as for an actual costco, lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is the Costco business separate from normal Costco? The big one I go to is business too, and it even says it's open at seven in the morning only for business customers, but really it's just a supersized Costco with business stuff too and anyone can go there.

Are you telling me you don't love going to Woodbury every Saturday morning?!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also I really miss fleet farm. And Menards. And living in a place not ruled by a weird white person cult.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

yeah there is a costco business near me, but as for an actual costco, lol

"Little Canada"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed. Though some city would probably be here, I often daydream what it'd look like if the Mormons never came. It'd probably be way fuckin cooler but maybe also more blown out?

an entire state's worth of Park City bourgeoisie

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is the Costco business separate from normal Costco? The big one I go to is business too, and it even says it's open at seven in the morning only for business customers, but really it's just a supersized Costco with business stuff too and anyone can go there.

Are you telling me you don't love going to Woodbury every Saturday morning?!

oh, apparently it does have food and such, weird. the name threw me off.

lmfao look at this poo poo, how loving fat are these people

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
bring back King Camp Gillette's 10mil+ Niagara Falls-powered megalopolis

https://twitter.com/timescanner/status/1085398712392794114

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Costco is neat if you just want to have a big stock of a bunch of basics, but I've also known too many people who shop there for everything and literally eat nothing that doesn't come out of a Costco box.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Lots of pedestrians die on the tracks too, let's make it so the only thing left in the world is trains running around on their own power

There Will Come Soft Trains

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one dreams anymore. It's ambitious now to beg for scraps.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Getting the oil changed in my wife's car because she still drives every day :(

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The city just tore up the sidewalk and driveway around my house. My cars are now condemned to a garage they can no longer leave. Cool.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Getting the oil changed in my wife's car because she still drives every day :(

cucked by Midas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good