Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i think drago is going to win this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I hope he doesn't try to recut this with the serious tone of Rocky VI and the Creed movies, as good as those are. Rocky IV succeeds by being silly and 80's as gently caress. I'm not even sure you could recut it and make a not-silly version. The original is incredibly short, and that's with a shocking number of montages. (The Russia training montage is actually two montages interrupted by an extremely brief scene with Adrian. There's also a driving scene that has a montage of fight scenes from the entire series, including the fight that happened, like, 15 minutes ago. It's hilarious.)

But the fact that I didn't see Paulie's robot in this trailer has me concerned.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 30, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is the problem people have with the robot? You give an idiot a bunch of money, sure they're going to buy a robot. I know I would!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

What is the problem people have with the robot? You give an idiot a bunch of money, sure they're going to buy a robot. I know I would!

I think it's the fact that Paulie reprogrammed it with a sexy voice, and is almost certainly loving that robot, which is an unsettling thought.

But it better be in this version of the movie.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I know he always doped, but especially having seen present day Stallone, his trying to cut some high road regarding steroids is goddamn hilarious

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Stallone has gone out of his way to say that the robot is not in this cut, sadly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first thing he did was cut the robot. Stallone’s old rear end made a tweet about it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Stallone has gone out of his way to say that the robot is not in this cut, sadly.

Mother fucker.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

lol, why even bother then

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I hope he doesn't try to recut this with the serious tone of Rocky VI and the Creed movies, as good as those are. Rocky IV succeeds by being silly and 80's as gently caress. I'm not even sure you could recut it and make a not-silly version. The original is incredibly short, and that's with a shocking number of montages. (The Russia training montage is actually two montages interrupted by an extremely brief scene with Adrian. There's also a driving scene that has a montage of fight scenes from the entire series, including the fight that happened, like, 15 minutes ago. It's hilarious.)

I hope they don't touch the fight though. For as goofy as the entire movie is, that final fight has incredible pacing and editing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All 40 extra minutes of the movie should be robot. It’s a loving disgrace.

Also Drago now wins and half the crowd are wearing red hats and cheering.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Cho looks like 20 years too old for this role lol

Spike is canonically 27 and Jet 36, but they always seemed like 10-15 years older given their extensive life histories.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i haven't seen the show for more than a decade, but I recall Spike was not only supposed to be a universe-class martial arts fighter but also some kind of grizzled ex-yakuza AND war veteran with an inherent death wish, which is absolutely absurd for a 27 year old

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Proteus Jones posted:

I hope they don't touch the fight though. For as goofy as the entire movie is, that final fight has incredible pacing and editing.

Yeah, it's easily the best action-y fight of the series. Of course the 1st stands on it's own as a beautiful tale but of the sequels Drago is hands down the best and what I grew up watching every single time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i haven't seen the show for more than a decade, but I recall Spike was not only supposed to be a universe-class martial arts fighter but also some kind of grizzled ex-yakuza AND war veteran with an inherent death wish, which is absolutely absurd for a 27 year old

You recall correctly

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
If it makes things simpler I'm reasonably certain he didn't go to college

And i think your conflating his past with vicious cause i don't recall spike ever being a veteran, just a mob heavy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BiggestBatman posted:

If it makes things simpler I'm reasonably certain he didn't go to college

And i think your conflating his past with vicious cause i don't recall spike ever being a veteran, just a mob heavy

There's war flashbacks in the anime. Also I think 27 is still right for a war veteran. Not to go full "actually" but lots of the WW2 big names molded by the war were pretty loving young. Dick Winters of Band of Brother's fame was 23 when he enlisted in 1941. He was promoted to major at age 27. If you assume a similar 4-5 year conflict and another 5-6 of yakuza prior and after the war you could (questionably) cram a war vet / ex-yakuza background on someone that's 27 years old.

But ultimately the answer is "lol anime" where everyone is either young or a grizzled old man about to retire or a 1000 year old dragon that looks like a kid.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Spike didn't fight in the titan war. Vicious did. Though they're the same age so the same critique applies. If you assume the war lasts for a year or 2 (or Vicious takes part in it) he'd have time to get out of the war by age 20, join up with the space yakuza and pal around with Spike for 4 years rising through the ranks. Then spike runs and meets up with Jet and the show takes place 3 years later.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/caitiedelaney/status/1444466744089661445?s=21

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a poo poo trailer with nothing interesting being shown but it's PT Anderson so Im pretty sure it'll be worth watching anyway lol

R: motherfucker made tailoring entrancing

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
yeah the trailer didnt really grab me at all but being a PTA fan I'm definitely there opening week

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Jewmanji posted:

Maybe let’s wait and see the movie before we accuse it of being sympathetic to pedophiles lol

The trailer and premise of the film makes it look so.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No, you’re just being a big weirdo, and you’re the outlier on this one, sorry!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MLSM posted:

The trailer and premise of the film makes it look so.

I just didn't get that vibe at all. Sorry.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

:nallears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

yet another A24 trailer coming right up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfndmy-6e28

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh man, they dragged Matt Smith into this?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Oh man, they dragged Matt Smith into this?

The vast majority of Matt Smith's career post Doctor Who has basically been him bouncing between mega franchises and failing to stick to them.

Terminator: He was supposed to be the Big Bad of the planned trilogy starting with Genisys. Whoops.
Fantastic Beasts: Kicked out before it began at the last minute.
The Crown: Did OK. Rotating cast though, bye!
Morbius: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wouldn't be surprised if Karen Gillan had to block his calls to stop him from begging her to introduce him to Kevin Feige.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 5, 2021

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Rise of skywalker lol

Maybe the man is cursed. If house of the dragon gets canceled halfway through the season that'll clinch it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Matt Smith is another thumb.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why make a trailer for the dragon spinoff if you're not going to show a single dragon?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

GoT proper got progressively worse the more dragons it showed. Lesson learned imo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Why make a trailer for the dragon spinoff if you're not going to show a single dragon?

You think the cg rendering is even close to ready?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think they should not put rape in this one

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh my sweet summer child

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Okay. Uh, how do you feel about incest... ?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

You think the cg rendering is even close to ready?

Exactly. I'm saying, don't put out a teaser until you can hype people with it. This sort of thing needs a money shot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

The vast majority of Matt Smith's career post Doctor Who has basically been him bouncing between mega franchises and failing to stick to them.

Terminator: He was supposed to be the Big Bad of the planned trilogy starting with Genisys. Whoops.
Fantastic Beasts: Kicked out before it began at the last minute.
The Crown: Did OK. Rotating cast though, bye!
Morbius: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wouldn't be surprised if Karen Gillan had to block his calls to stop him from begging her to introduce him to Kevin Feige.

I think he received proper acclaim for his 2 seasons on The Crown, and he was great on it. It also opened him up to a new audience. It's the reason my mom knows who he is, for example.

But you're right on everything else. I really like him, but it is really not working out for him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

feedmyleg posted:

Exactly. I'm saying, don't put out a teaser until you can hype people with it. This sort of thing needs a money shot.

Don't say money shot so loudly the HBO execs will hear you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I think he received proper acclaim for his 2 seasons on The Crown, and he was great on it. It also opened him up to a new audience. It's the reason my mom knows who he is, for example.

:same: except whenever he was on screen, my mom kept going “That man looks WEIRD. The real Prince Phillip was much better looking than THAT!” which I found funny.