Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's the birds that make it nuts.

The downside of time walks is usually they don't actually DO much if you're forced to play them on curve because you're already behind. Six mana sorcery to play a land a draw a card is just a lovely Explore. This was the problem with Nexus (and Epiphany is probably a direct result of the Nexus debacle, "OK, people love time walks but time walks that don't advance the game are annoying and abusive. So, design me a time walk that will eventually end the game on its own ...").

Two tokens totally changes the spell. Now you've got blockers if you're playing it out on curve and behind on board. And as we've seen, you don't really need a win condition in your turns deck if your turns spell is also your win condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gramps posted:

I just miss drafting full blocks. OG Ravnica block limited was absolutely bonkers. I know that's a high watermark but if they do it once they could do it again.

how the hell did drafting work with those blocks? you had different guilds in every set right?

i guess you either pick something early on and stick with that, or do some weird wedge stuff? i remember hearing that invasion block draft was a lot of fun because there was lot of tension between sticking with the allied colors early or holding out until apocalypse so you could grab all the super strong enemy color stuff

babypolis fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

babypolis posted:

how the hell did drafting work with those blocks? you had different guilds in every set right?

i guess you either pick something early on and stick with that, or do some weird wedge staff. i remember hearing that invasion block was fun because there was lot of tension between sticking with the allied colors early or holding out until apocalypse so you could grab all the super strong enemy color stuff

Oh man it was so awesome. Ideally you'd end up in 3 colors which would put you in 3 guilds, but with all the mana fixing you could play a 4th. Rav you could take Golgari, Guildpact you could take Gruul, and Dissension you could take Rakdos and end up in BRG and with enough signets the mana was even pretty smooth. Absolutely my favorite limited format ever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

goferchan posted:

You saying you think it'll get a ban? I don't think it's an incredibly oppressive Time Walk card in a vacuum, but when they inevitably print more they probably need to be a little worse than Epiphany in the future. Dodging hand disruption with foretell is kind of insult to injury because there are already very few ways to interact with opponent's sorceries, and this just narrows it down to counterspells, and if you're running counterspells you might as well also play Epiphany.

It will 100% get banned in standard.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When Alrund's Epiphany is outlawed, only outlaws will play Alrund's Epiphany

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

They could get away with just banning Galvanic Iteration since that’s the card that puts it over the top. It protects you against counters since you still get at least one more turn and you can easily copy a 2nd Alrun’s since Galvanic has flashback. 8 mana for 2 turns and 4 1/1 fliers is insane.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing Selesnya Ramp and I don't think Epiphany is a problem, my deck beats it easily. However, I'm seeing Bant Ramp decklists that play Epiphany, so if every deck starts playing that card it'll need a ban.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

2 forks, a time walk and tons of ways to ramp with treasure and dig through your deck just make izzet loving unbearable in current standard. Something's gotta give, and it's definitely Epiphany.

Then we'll just have to suffer through a season of URx Delvers & Dragons variations

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i never understood why they continue to make "take another turn" cards without some kind of penalty or downside.. (besides mana cost)

SphericalDan
Sep 30, 2006
I claim this booty in the name of France :D
Playing in the SCG #2. 100% agree epiphany needs the ban hammer. It'll be banned by 10/11

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah, functionally it isn't that much different than a card that functionally ends the game but something feels so much worse about seeing several time walks resolved against you in a row.

For some reason "7 Mana, Sorcery, You Win The Game" I think would feel better

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

That mostly comes down to Dragon's Maze being garbo.

Triple RTR was great though. ...Except Pack Rat which was just an absolutely format ruining rare.

Gatecrash... ...okay yeah Gatecrash is probably the worst set I've drafted since Avacyn Restored. It is hyper aggro and basically had two decks you could actually draft.

...Okay you know maybe the format just sucked.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strong Sauce posted:

i never understood why they continue to make "take another turn" cards without some kind of penalty or downside.. (besides mana cost)

Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Taking Multiple Turns So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Game Length Ever Elemental

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if a take another turn card also untapped all your opponent's lands and creatures? Would that be too big of a downside to let it be playable? Let's assume it's fairly cheap to cast and has no other downside.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Leperflesh posted:

What if a take another turn card also untapped all your opponent's lands and creatures? Would that be too big of a downside to let it be playable? Let's assume it's fairly cheap to cast and has no other downside.

That would be a neat design and I think it's printable. Still has the issue with copying the spell, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It occurs to me that written that way, your opponent could untap stuff locked down with "doesn't untap" effects etc., which might be too strong for them.

Maybe word it instead like: "After target opponent performs their next upkeep phase, skip the rest of their turn" or "target opponent skips the first main, combat, and second main phases of their next turn" or similar; so they'd get an untap, upkeep, draw, and end phase, but wouldn't get special untaps they don't normally get.

Probably this is too complicated to fly, the more I think about it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Leperflesh posted:

There was a UU1 take another turn but skip your untap step, and it sucked major rear end

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Seems like a niche case work around, and 99% of the time you'll be the one putting that effect on their creatures to begin with, so you can just not cast one of the two if it's that big a problem.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chamale posted:

I'm playing Selesnya Ramp and I don't think Epiphany is a problem, my deck beats it easily. However, I'm seeing Bant Ramp decklists that play Epiphany, so if every deck starts playing that card it'll need a ban.

The UR and Grixis turns decks are dominating all the ramp decks on Arena and in what tourneys have happened so far. The win rates are absurd.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah you're probably right FF.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

babypolis posted:

i bet you think pirating poo poo is immoral as well

This ain't the thread for that, but I encourage you to PM me your treatise "In the Defense of Selling Bootleg DVDs".

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Toshimo posted:

This ain't the thread for that, but I encourage you to PM me your treatise "In the Defense of Selling Bootleg DVDs".

Nothing goes better with a Torta and a nice Jarritos than a buttcam copy of Amazing Spiderman

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPX-wuplDvc

(Sorry if that comes across as mean. I assume it's not really as bad as you're saying and that you're being self deprecating though.)

It gave me a nice laugh thanks!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Gramps posted:

Nothing goes better with a Torta and a nice Jarritos than a buttcam copy of Amazing Spiderman

This. Respect the hustle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I'd steal your car

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Man I could go for a jamon torta right about now

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I would download a dozen copies of your car with zero remorse.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Said Vaderly* I am proxying the moxy. Pray I don’t proxy it further.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Man I could go for a jamon torta right about now

Milanesa or GTFO.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toshimo posted:

I would steal your car

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
signed, the guy who posts epic owns without reading the rest of the thread.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Toshimo posted:

"In the Defense of Selling Bootleg DVDs"

transfers money from big money studios into the hands of small businessmen, while making entertainment more affordable for everyone. conclusion: its good folks

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got to flip the "Have exactly 13 life" guy twice in one game to finish out a 7-0. Seems like a fine way to retire from MH limited.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Strong Sauce posted:

Bring back Final Fortune.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aranan posted:

Bring back Final Fortune.
And give us a RR instant "if your opponent takes an extra turn after this one, instead you win the game".

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Yawgmoth posted:

And give us a RR instant "if your opponent takes an extra turn after this one, instead you win the game".

fortune, finalized

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
R/G flash 2/2 with "if an opponent would take an extra turn, you take the turn instead"

Or maybe "you control them during that turn"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmao tcgplayer's flash sale with 15% cash back in store credit is currently completely hosed due to checkout servers being overwhelmed

https://twitter.com/TCGplayer/status/1444076278441779202

hmmm maybe it isnt a good idea to play directly into FOMO instincts for practical reasons, as well as moral ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A big flaming stink posted:

lmao tcgplayer's flash sale with 15% cash back in store credit is currently completely hosed due to checkout servers being overwhelmed

hmmm maybe it isnt a good idea to play directly into FOMO instincts for practical reasons, as well as moral ones!

Oh nooooo

People are giving us so much moneeeeeeee

Maybe we should never do this again!

What are we gonna do with all this moneeeeeee