Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'd assume the right combo of substances and a panic attack could be pretty traumatic because I've had a few of those experiences but I don't know how you level the folks who are sober and in good mental standing.

Yeah for sure, it seems pretty easy to traumatise yourself with psychedelics or deliriants or what have you, but as you say, when it's kids or regular old adult drinkers or what have you then it's difficult to parse out how it could happen.

Is it possible for a schizophrenic to be traumatised by their own delusions? I'm leaning towards "yes, of course", but I don't know if the distress a schizophrenic feels when they believe they're being spied on or when they hear voices is solely in the moment or if it lasts after their condition stabilises

Hodgepodge posted:

not without somehow triggering the same adrenaline reaction as would be expected of a real traumatic event

i've never heard of psychsomatically induced ptsd. in most other contexts the idea would probably be offensive, which if the suggestion that abductees had ptsd were true, would be a pretty serious implication that we should be taking their experiences seriously.

Yeah true, it's a thorny issue and I'm certainly just floating ideas, I'd never claim to be an expert and wouldn't want to pour water on anyone's trauma, abductee or not, because it's "real" regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

I'd assume the right combo of substances and a panic attack could be pretty traumatic because I've had a few of those experiences but I don't know how you level the folks who are sober and in good mental standing.

That probably could, especially if the experience gave sufficiently strong feelings of being trapped or paralyzed. Anything that triggers a strong enough adrenal reaction can cause it, even things that cause the patient absolutely no abnormal conscious distress (one example from an article was a freak jaw dislocation out of nowhere which was fixed within two hours). It does seem to be acknowledged that you can have PTSD without memory of the actual incident. No indication that it is possible without some sort of actual experience, though, but the effects of various drugs may well count under the right circumstances. Panic attacks are usually more of a symptom than a cause, though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

severe sleep paralysis feels like it could be terrifying enough to trigger all kinds of lasting trauma. ive only had it a few times that lasted briefly and I was keen enough on the phenomenon to recognize right away "ah yes this is sleep paralysis" and it was still scary as hell each time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my bony fealty posted:

severe sleep paralysis feels like it could be terrifying enough to trigger all kinds of lasting trauma. ive only had it a few times that lasted briefly and I was keen enough on the phenomenon to recognize right away "ah yes this is sleep paralysis" and it was still scary as hell each time.

i took the liberty of recording my last sleep paralysis and converting it to a gif:

please enjoy responsibly

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

It does seem to be acknowledged that you can have PTSD without memory of the actual incident.

Woah, that's got to be harsh. Traumatised but no idea how or why. And trying to find out may just lead you straight down into the false memory rabbit hole, presumably?

my bony fealty posted:

I actually had an "abduction" experience and it was only a year later when I happened to read an article about sleep paralysis in the Metro newspaper that I put two and two together as to what actually happened to me.

Or did I :tinfoil:

EDIT I've had several since where I didn't see anything but felt something/someone sit down on the bed next to me, but the first one was a doozy and I definitely saw the aliens

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Woah, that's got to be harsh. Traumatised but no idea how or why. And trying to find out may just lead you straight down into the false memory rabbit hole, presumably?

Blocking memories of traumatic events is a well understood way that the brain copes with it. Survivors of accidents like car accidents or plane crashes will simultaneously report PTSD from the incident but no actual memory of it.

I can personally attest to it as well. I went through some poo poo as a child that I absolutely should remember but which I simply cannot recall. Been diagnosed with complex PTSD from everything, but some of the worst experiences are just not present in my mind but plenty of poo poo both before and after is. Stuff that I know happened, but just ... nope not there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have only experienced sleep paralysis once. it happened like 20 years ago and the experience is still lodged in my brain like a shard of glass. lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Blocking memories of traumatic events is a well understood way that the brain copes with it. Survivors of accidents like car accidents or plane crashes will simultaneously report PTSD from the incident but no actual memory of it.

I can personally attest to it as well. I went through some poo poo as a child that I absolutely should remember but which I simply cannot recall. Been diagnosed with complex PTSD from everything, but some of the worst experiences are just not present in my mind but plenty of poo poo both before and after is. Stuff that I know happened, but just ... nope not there.

I don't want to pry or bring up bad feelings at all, so please feel free not to answer this/tell me to shut up, but are you saying that you were able to figure out whatever it was contextually, via preceding and succeeding events? Or by third party confirmation? Or both?

It's difficult. Since I've started going to therapy complex PTSD is something I've been thinking about a lot because I fit the criteria in almost every way but I have no memory of any explicitly traumatising events in my childhood, just a bit of emotional neglect. But I had a sudden and very vivid image pop into my head a little awhile back that I found very disturbing. But also I have no way of knowing if it wasn't purely a figment of my imagination.

uber_stoat posted:

i have only experienced sleep paralysis once. it happened like 20 years ago and the experience is still lodged in my brain like a shard of glass. lmao

Yeah I pass it off as a joke and it's a fun anecdote ("let me tell you about the time I got abducted by aliens") but I sure don't like to think about it when it's night time...

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i used to get sleep paralysis as a kid. It never felt real to me though, and i never felt like i was being abducted or watched. Felt like the mind was awake while the body wasn't, but everything i could see was clearly still a dream (room shaped wrong, etc) and eventually i would feel like i was about to suffocate, and then i'd wake up for real. though a couple times i also heard weird robo voices, and once i got swarmed by flesh eating beetles before i woke up lol

i can see how it could convince people that birds are probing them

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
lmao just smoke weed before bed, sleepy time goes by like *snaps fingers* that.

And the birds coming to check you out knows you're cool from the get go, no need for probes or anything

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fanfic insert posted:

lmao just smoke weed before bed, sleepy time goes by like *snaps fingers* that.

And the birds coming to check you out knows you're cool from the get go, no need for probes or anything

:hai:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

had a few episodes of sleep paralysis when i was a kid/teen that involved just knowing something was there just outside my field of vision, which is apparently a common feeling associated with it

as unpleasant as it was at the time im kinda curious about experiencing it again

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

I don't want to pry or bring up bad feelings at all, so please feel free not to answer this/tell me to shut up, but are you saying that you were able to figure out whatever it was contextually, via preceding and succeeding events? Or by third party confirmation? Or both?

It's difficult. Since I've started going to therapy complex PTSD is something I've been thinking about a lot because I fit the criteria in almost every way but I have no memory of any explicitly traumatising events in my childhood, just a bit of emotional neglect. But I had a sudden and very vivid image pop into my head a little awhile back that I found very disturbing. But also I have no way of knowing if it wasn't purely a figment of my imagination.

Yeah I pass it off as a joke and it's a fun anecdote ("let me tell you about the time I got abducted by aliens") but I sure don't like to think about it when it's night time...

Depending on the event, usually both. My dad also liked to apologize afterwards when his anger got out of control, so I have memories of whatever tripped him off, him apologizing, and then my sister talking about it, but not the critical bit in the middle. That happened a lot. I've since been able to remember some stuff as part of processing it via therapy but yeah, still blanks on things, which I know isn't great. If you haven't already, take a look at Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It literally saved my life.

Now, to tie this back into birds, I think my experience has made me both more accepting of and more skeptical of abduction reports. For so many of them, I can see PTSD clear as day, but my experiences with my own memory don't allow me to take it at face value, especially when hypnotism is involved. For many, I am sure that something inexplicable happened to them, even if I don't believe it is what they are truthfully reporting is what happened in consensus reality (whatever that is).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Keep in mind there are a multitude of daytime encounters with multiple witnesses and fairly convincing outside verification.

We aren’t just dealing with thieves in the night/sleep paralysis. There’s a wide range of experiences people have allegedly had with unrecognizable beings. Some of which are pretty hard to dismiss.

A goon linked to the Albert Rosales compendium. He’s spent decades tracking down stuff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Barry Foster posted:

just a bit of emotional neglect. But I had a sudden and very vivid image pop into my head a little awhile back that I found very disturbing. But also I have no way of knowing if it wasn't purely a figment of my imagination.

not to downplay anything else, but emotional neglect as a child can be a cause of PTSD, and with a sufficiently toxic environment and/or prolonged neglect, complex PTSD. and someone raised in an abusive household may not have a complete understanding of what was abusive when that abuse didn't take forms that are blatant or widely recognized. so even on that level, it's worth broaching with your therapist- it may be there are things you've never questioned that, on examination, were obviously traumatic and abusive.

e: okay, yeah. I've had to reign in my habit of getting angry with my mother over conflicts (I still irrationally think of her as invincible and until I had to work with her closely because she is helping my with my son, I hadn't had occasion to be in conflict with her since I was a teenager) because even though I never feel the need to be angry with my son, a child should not be around an adult's uncontrolled or excessive anger, even directed at someone else, even if there is no physical violence involved at any point.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Oct 1, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Depending on the event, usually both. My dad also liked to apologize afterwards when his anger got out of control, so I have memories of whatever tripped him off, him apologizing, and then my sister talking about it, but not the critical bit in the middle. That happened a lot. I've since been able to remember some stuff as part of processing it via therapy but yeah, still blanks on things, which I know isn't great. If you haven't already, take a look at Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It literally saved my life.

Now, to tie this back into birds, I think my experience has made me both more accepting of and more skeptical of abduction reports. For so many of them, I can see PTSD clear as day, but my experiences with my own memory don't allow me to take it at face value, especially when hypnotism is involved. For many, I am sure that something inexplicable happened to them, even if I don't believe it is what they are truthfully reporting is what happened in consensus reality (whatever that is).

Yeah, that's precisely where I'm at re: bird trauma. I pretty much automatically discount any "memories" that are "recovered" via hypnosis.

And thanks for your candour, bud. I'm in more traditional psychoanalysis at the moment but I don't know if I'm really getting anywhere with it because it turns out I don't have much insight into my emotional condition most of the time and so a lot of the time it's like trying to eat soup with a fork. I've heard a lot of good stuff about DBT from a lot of people.

/non-bird trauma chat

E

Hodgepodge posted:

not to downplay anything else, but emotional neglect as a child can be a cause of PTSD, and with a sufficiently toxic environment and/or prolonged neglect, complex PTSD. and someone raised in an abusive household may not have a complete understanding of what was abusive when that abuse didn't take forms that are blatant or widely recognized. so even on that level, it's worth broaching with your therapist- it may be there are things you've never questioned that, on examination, were obviously traumatic and abusive.

Oh we talk about it quite a lot, but she's not really in the game of putting names to things or defining stuff as such. I think mostly because she's trying to get me to feel and recognise feelings rather than endlessly theorise about them. I think. She's not really in the game of explaining her strategies either. Psychoanalysis, yo

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Oct 1, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Wheeee posted:

had a few episodes of sleep paralysis when i was a kid/teen that involved just knowing something was there just outside my field of vision, which is apparently a common feeling associated with it

as unpleasant as it was at the time im kinda curious about experiencing it again

it sucks rear end but it is absolutely fascinating seeing what kind of horrorshow your barely-conscious mind comes up with this week

I get a few episodes of sleep paralysis per month and I find that if I get angry enough to trigger that "I am so angry my entire head is tingling like it's submerged in diet coke" sensation I can snap out of it np

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Hodgepodge posted:

just quoting so more people read this

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if violent childhood trauma and sexual abuse plus aliens is your jam ill recommend watching Mysterious Skin again.

also the vast, vast majority of ptsd sufferers remember their traumatic events but alien abduction sure does fit the bill as an explanatory model for the kids who cant oh wait my monitor seems to be off?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Barry Foster posted:

Oh we talk about it quite a lot, but she's not really in the game of putting names to things or defining stuff as such. I think mostly because she's trying to get me to feel and recognise feelings rather than endlessly theorise about them. I think. She's not really in the game of explaining her strategies either. Psychoanalysis, yo

It's a valid approach, but sometimes having a name to attach to something helps one feel it is possible to learn to control and overcome it. And it certainly helps with communicating your situation to others. The mystic belief in the power of names over spirits and demons is far from an wholly irrational belief. In some cases, the "spirit" being named may have been literally equivalent to our giving a name to a mental condition in the original context of the belief, and at any rate, it is simply the extension of our daily experience that being able to isolate an element of our world, think about it as a distinct subject, and discuss it with others, is the root of our ability to influence the world.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

How do you kill an extra dimensional being

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

with an extra dimensional bullet

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Fried Watermelon posted:

How do you kill an extra dimensional being

wait until a vital organ is phasing through our timespace and stab it there

the difficult part is making sure it's vital and you do enough damage because it can literally rip your brain out without touching your skull

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

people say invoking the name of jesus christ works, even if youre non believer. so i guess jesus works for free wadda guy. not my style though id hate to look like a chump in front of the big man.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

people say invoking the name of jesus christ works, even if youre non believer. so i guess jesus works for free wadda guy. not my style though id hate to look like a chump in front of the big man.

you can literally say the name of Vishnu as Narayana and its supposed to work even if you're actually referring to your buddy Narayana who is named after a famous political leader whose family name happens to be Narayana

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeah
its all so weird
i love it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

1997 special that contained unique footage and never aired again

https://youtu.be/VhgYDrB7y2s

oh yea it’s also hosted by scotty

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Mar 4, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Riot Bimbo posted:

Lol time to inject more of this bullshit into the thread I guess but I think this might be legit just based on what I've experienced and all.

Like, I dunno if the stuff in Merkabah is the only metaphysical thing out there, but it is a metaphysical thing I have a direct experience with, despite only learning about this line of mysticism this year, and the experience is a decade old, what happened and "where" aligns with this.

But, that is to say, if it's somehow real in a tangible sense, we are probably in the end of days and tbqh i'm mostly just trying to discern whether or not YHWH is the true god or if that's the transcendent one that exists outside the pleroma in gnosticism.

either way this stuff becoming prominent is mostly Bad News for us if all that poo poo is for real.

when the physical form of ialdabaoth descends from his throne of envy and ignorance unto the world of man im gonna run him over with my pt cruiser (4 door)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Riot Bimbo posted:

Lol time to inject more of this bullshit into the thread I guess but I think this might be legit just based on what I've experienced and all.

Like, I dunno if the stuff in Merkabah is the only metaphysical thing out there, but it is a metaphysical thing I have a direct experience with, despite only learning about this line of mysticism this year, and the experience is a decade old, what happened and "where" aligns with this.

But, that is to say, if it's somehow real in a tangible sense, we are probably in the end of days and tbqh i'm mostly just trying to discern whether or not YHWH is the true god or if that's the transcendent one that exists outside the pleroma in gnosticism.

either way this stuff becoming prominent is mostly Bad News for us if all that poo poo is for real.

Nah, the Merkabah goes back to Jewish oral tradition and is of uncertain origin, but as an oral tradition it is potentially older than the written portions of the Bible (it is also a major influence on Gnostism). Yogic traditions were also first recorded between 1000–500 BCE, also representing a yet older tradition developed by ascetic practitioners.

The only new thing about this stuff is that we're admitting it's happening in the context of modernity.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

me: are you the demiurge?

the demiurge: absolutely not

me: drat! back to the drawing board

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
this is a good thread, thanks y'all

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

blatman posted:

when the physical form of ialdabaoth descends from his throne of envy and ignorance unto the world of man im gonna run him over with my pt cruiser (4 door)

We call him Saklas, the Fool. But we are also fools, and of the Major Arcana, only The Fool trumps The World.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Has that one lady found that desert base yet?
Or has anything new happened with that lady who does all the charcoal drawings

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Has that one lady found that desert base yet?
Or has anything new happened with that lady who does all the charcoal drawings

Su says in the pipe, 5x5

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1443401019405242372

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1443402697676308481

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress yeah, P'nti are tired of waiting 'til the night time to come down and shotgun some natty boh's with us
time for some daytime festivities

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!
looking forward to the awkward moment when humanity learns that an error in the proper pronunciation of "P'nti" has lead humanity to accidentally introduce our species to the ambassador of first contact using a slur

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

the most rational read of it all that I have is that I'm getting religious experiences triggered by those parts of our brains that are capable of doing that, and I'm trying to understand it through whatever "lens" brings any clarity to what those moments of my life were

even the most 'pedestrian' of explanations is fascinating imho. i love the idea that people really haven't changed in thousands of years and we are still running a lot of the same 'wetware' for better or worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

we are probably in the end of days

We are objectively in the end of days, no metaphysics needed to see that.

Hodgepodge posted:

you can literally say the name of Vishnu as Narayana and its supposed to work even if you're actually referring to your buddy Narayana who is named after a famous political leader whose family name happens to be Narayana

What if being a cluster of probabilities is like extra dimensional camouflage and naming/invoking is a way for the reality-creating part of your brain to collapse some of those probabilities onto a certainty, even if it's just your own personal certainty, and it acts like a searchlight that exposes an entity?