Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Voodoofly posted:

New bike day to replace the one stolen in June.

Kickass, welcome back to the two-wheel world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What hitch racks are you all using? I'm due for an upgrade. I have a 1.25" hitch and I need to be able to carry two bikes. Is 1Up the best option? I see their Equip-D Double and it looks pretty good.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 1, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

What hitch racks are you all using? I'm due for an upgrade. I have a 1.25" hitch and I need to be able to carry two bikes. Is 1Up the best option? I see their Equip-D Double and it looks pretty good.

I've been getting by with cheap racks like this for two bike usage. It's one of those things that works well enough so I don't want to replace it but certainly there are a lot of more expensive options.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

me your dad posted:

Is 1Up the best option? I see their Equip-D Double and it looks pretty good.

I have one. It was extremely expensive and is extremely good. The 1up racks are also much easier to mount multiple mountain bikes without interference than tray style racks that clamp the front tire.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bud Manstrong posted:

I have one. It was extremely expensive and is extremely good. The 1up racks are also much easier to mount multiple mountain bikes without interference than tray style racks that clamp the front tire.

Agreed. I have the same. stupid cost but stupid good. Much better than a thule t2 I had at one point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have a 1-up rack, and add-on bike rack, and the add-on cargo tray. I'm a 1-up whore and I don't care. It's the best rack on the market, and it might outlast your car.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking also at the single (classic style) 1Up rack and buying an extra tray. It's a slightly more affordable option.

My current rack, a Thule T2, is so old it was produced before 29" tires came out so loading my bike is a pain.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I had a cheap rack and now have a 1up. Buy once cry once. Mine is a single. Probably should have bought a double even though I have no friends and always ride alone 99% of the time.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
1up is awesome. Had mine for years now. Started with roof mounted trays and bought a hitch mounted version and plan to add the trays for a 4x setup once our kids are older.

100% recommend. Think it's a bit worse if your bike has racks or fenders though - not really a mtb thing. Not sure how other options in the space compare.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

I had a cheap rack and now have a 1up. Buy once cry once. Mine is a single. Probably should have bought a double even though I have no friends and always ride alone 99% of the time.

Easy to add another tray. I generally just keep the single on my truck. Toss the double on the 1% of the time I need to carry two bikes.

Have had my 1UP for over 10 years now and it has been perfect.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dema posted:

Easy to add another tray. I generally just keep the single on my truck. Toss the double on the 1% of the time I need to carry two bikes.

I do the exact same thing, and I love how tight the rack folds up against my bumper when it's not being used.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think the handle used to lift the 1up Equip is kinda janky. I don't like how it requires putting in that fiddly safety pin. DONT FORGET THE SAFETY PIN.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The 1Up rack has also let me successfully avoid approximately 12 trips of NY state tolls.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
This video sold me on 1up. They are bombproof.

https://www.facebook.com/1UpUSA/videos/379314995503513/

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Got around to downloading my bike computer from when I crashed last weekend.

Rip shoulder. I've got surgery scheduled for Monday so hopefully that holds and all goes well. Fingers crossed.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I’ve been rear ended four times with my 1 up rack on. It and my forester have been unscathed. Definitely hosed up the grill on one car that hit me pretty good.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Annual reminder to everyone that if you haven't done your 50 hour fork/shock service yet this year that is why your bike feels like garbage.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Joke's on you, my bike always feels like garbage.

Its taken me all summer to get confidence back, but in a week or two I'll be heading back to the downhill park for the first time since I crashed at drat near exactly a year ago.

I'll have a gopro on me this time so at least there will be video of the crash this year.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
A new carbon wheelset is calling me. Talk me out of it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My dt swiss 1501s seem pretty good so far. Those plus a nicer cassette saved a whole pound which definitely made a difference in how the bike rides. Whether they were worth it over a nice set of aluminum rims I can't say for sure. The xr1700s are only like 100g heavier and cost half as much. I think I'm going to put a light insert in the rear because I'm a lot more concerned about banging the rim into rocks now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

pinarello dogman posted:

Annual reminder to everyone that if you haven't done your 50 hour fork/shock service yet this year that is why your bike feels like garbage.

I discovered the other day my fit4 won’t lockout anymore. Not sure if something’s real wrong with the damper or something’s interfering with oil flow (low oil? Haven’t seen any leakage) but I scheduled a service on the 29th anyways to have them do the whole fork rebuild
Hope it’s not hosed and also hope it’s not loving something else from riding it that way

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Nohearum posted:

Sorry, cant help. There is a land over the next hill free from buckling, where one exists in a state of perpetual truness(and anxiety).

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Nohearum posted:

No.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Just make sure you get an OK warranty

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have carbon wheels. Unfortunately, I got them when I was on a break from riding so I couldn’t ride the alloy v. carbon back to back. I think they are stiffer and transmit some vibrations/bumps that alloy may soak up. I do lots of long rides and I figure over long distances the efficiency adds up.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
More serious post, the only actual benefit I have noticed from my carbon wheels are that they hold up much better than alloy rims I've had in the past. I had dented many an alloy rim and the We Are One rims I've had for the past three-ish years have been smacked into rocks repeatedly without issues. They have also remained extremely true and have required very little in terms of spoke tension adjustment.

They may be stiffer, they may hold lines better, but I will never know because I am not that aggressive of a rider where it would make a difference.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, two of the people in my riding group who have had carbon wheels have had them crack and fail dramatically in the past 6 months, without doing anything too crazy. All of us on alloys have been perfectly fine. If I had the money to get carbon wheels, I'd probably look at something else first like better suspension or brakes.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

vikingstrike posted:

Just make sure you get an OK warranty

This is the most imprtant thing , I feel that getting them second hand is a very risky proposition.

Mines are e13 lg+ rims that come with 5 years no questions replacement(they will lace them up aswell). Ive scratched and cased them hard for nearly 2 years now - i check them preiodically, but ive slowly stopped worrying about it.
Prior to this the last 30mm alloy rims(lg+alloys that came with the bike) got dinged and bent to the point where inflation was a problem(lasted about 2 years) and truing wasnt really possible.

numptyboy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Aphex- posted:

On the other hand, two of the people in my riding group who have had carbon wheels have had them crack and fail dramatically in the past 6 months, without doing anything too crazy. All of us on alloys have been perfectly fine. If I had the money to get carbon wheels, I'd probably look at something else first like better suspension or brakes.

I agree with this that $ probably better spent toward better suspension. I’d also consider carbon bars over wheels first too. If you’ve maxed out suspension then wheels make more sense IMO.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Shoulder got put back together today and seems like everything went well. Got 6 weeks of healing before I can start doing strength exercises. I can apparently start range of motion exercises tomorrow.

Surgeon apparently rides on the same Mountain I broke it on and was familiar with the trail.

mashed fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 5, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nice, sounds like it went as well as can be hoped! I didn't do surgery but my Ortho was also a rider and had broken his collarbone recently as well, which was kinda funny.

Seems like you already have PT lined up but don't skimp on it, doing your exercises regularly and bring engaged in the process makes a massive difference. Last time I waited until most of the pain was gone to start doing PT, this time I started as soon as the PT said too and I'm only 3.5 weeks from the crash and can take my arm through almost the full ROM with a bit of assistance.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That's great.

My plan is very much to do all the pt. I want my arm back.

I have a ski season pass paid for already so being able to take my kids skiing is very much a goal for 3 months or so out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

That's great.

I have a ski season pass paid for already so being able to take my kids skiing is very much a goal for 3 months or so out.

Hope you like skiing without poles like a 4 year old!

I'm glad it went well and that your recovery doesn't seem too complicated ahead of you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

That's great.

GL. I had never broken anything before my collar bone and I didn't feel great until about 5 months in. Obviously very different but no way to tell how quickly things heal. Hope for a speedy recovery.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pinarello dogman posted:

I believe Fox recommends 125 hours or once a year currently. nothing wrong with doing it more often though.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

GL. I had never broken anything before my collar bone and I didn't feel great until about 5 months in. Obviously very different but no way to tell how quickly things heal. Hope for a speedy recovery.

It’s an aspiration I guess. If I end up just being a taxi ride to their lessons such is life.

Pain has been unreal since the nerve block wore off last night so I’m currently in the counting down to the next painkiller stage :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

It’s an aspiration I guess. If I end up just being a taxi ride to their lessons such is life.

Pain has been unreal since the nerve block wore off last night so I’m currently in the counting down to the next painkiller stage :(

You might be okay to use NSAIDs in addition to the low grade opiates you were likely prescribed. If you aren't sure ask the surgeon but it's common practice. Naproxen (Aleve) in particular may prove helpful.

You're in a weed state right? You could try some THC oil which might knock the edge off enough that you can get absorbed in a show or movie or book and not be sitting there just thinking about your pain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

LOL when I exploded my shoulder that's what waking up felt like. First the surgeon was like "anti-inflammatories? no no my guy, i want your muscles stabilizing that poo poo". Then I figured the extended release opioids they gave me did absolutely fuckall to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Hopefully the pain won't last long. Stay strong, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
YMMV but I hate being high with a broken bone, it fucks with the feeling of it and imo makes it less comfortable and I worry I've made it worse until I'm sober again, and I don't usually get paranoid or anxious with weed. I'll do it for sickness or other injuries but not busted bones.