Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Whatever the reason, they're ugly as sin both in photos and in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Elantra having different sizes/styles of venting up front on the grille and the little side vents WHICH MOSTLY AREN'T VENTS is a design sin if ever there was one.

C'mon guys, you can do better than whatever the gently caress this is.

I've just noticed the 'N' isn't even central to that one horizontal piece they've stuck it on. Christ.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's no Beemer snozz, but it sure ain't pretty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh god it's even worse straight on....It's like they kinda copied Lexus and managed to make it worse.

I guess it's a good thing they dropped the GT cuz they would have hosed it up, at least it went out on a high note because the last GT was perfect imo.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Hyundai makes a Kona N now as well with the Veloster drivetrain. Nothing special on the outside, but it's almost just a hatch. Too bad we don't just get the normal GT hatch or an I30.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The Elantra having different sizes/styles of venting up front on the grille and the little side vents WHICH MOSTLY AREN'T VENTS is a design sin if ever there was one.

C'mon guys, you can do better than whatever the gently caress this is.

I've just noticed the 'N' isn't even central to that one horizontal piece they've stuck it on. Christ.

You've seen floating roofs, get ready for floating hoods

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I was doing some driving today as one does and saw a Toyota Supra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLHAlHuxm7w

I think it’s the new one? that exhaust pipe seems aftermarket though

I also saw a forklift at a gas pump

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

copied Lexus and managed to make it worse.

OK now you've gone too far.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

You may find yourself at a beautiful gas station, with a beautiful forklift
You may ask yourself, "Well, how did it get here?"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bouillon Rube posted:

Good thing you're behind the wheel of a large automobile

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Bouillon Rube posted:

Letting the picks go by, let the pallets hold me down
Letting the picks go by, pallets shifting underground

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

wolfs posted:

I also saw a forklift at a gas pump

How did it get here? It's right on the sticker, Toyota power.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just watched this review of the BMW iX because I was bored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoWqeaNMJOM

Hooooly poo poo is that thing ugly, but IMO even worse are all of the insane gimmicks and gadgets that are going to IMMEDIATELY break out of warranty and otherwise turn a functional vehicle into worthless scrap well before its time. Surely it completely defeats the point of an electric vehicle to load it up with so many unnecessary failure points that it will get written off as soon as it's out of warranty and something expensive breaks.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

German ICE cars largely have the same lifespan issues; they're just carrying on that proud tradition.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Blackhawk posted:

Hooooly poo poo is that thing ugly, but IMO even worse are all of the insane gimmicks and gadgets that are going to IMMEDIATELY break out of warranty and otherwise turn a functional vehicle into worthless scrap well before its time. Surely it completely defeats the point of an electric vehicle to load it up with so many unnecessary failure points that it will get written off as soon as it's out of warranty and something expensive breaks.

This guy so annoying.

e: quite a comprehensive review though

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 1, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blackhawk posted:

Surely it completely defeats the point of an electric vehicle to load it up with so many unnecessary failure points that it will get written off as soon as it's out of warranty and something expensive breaks.

Citroen Ami best electric car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

This guy so annoying.

Yeaa carwow might be one of my least favorite channels out there :p

I really don't like these narrow, squinting headlights / tail lights. Never mind the bloated kidneys

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

knox_harrington posted:

This guy so annoying.

Whatever my complaints about Doug might be, at least he doesn't do the forced reaction face superimposed on the thumbnail. Is that a thing with this channel or is he supposed to be making fun of it, because I'm automatically inclined to avoid that video at all costs just on the basis of that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Whatever my complaints about Doug might be, at least he doesn't do the forced reaction face superimposed on the thumbnail. Is that a thing with this channel or is he supposed to be making fun of it, because I'm automatically inclined to avoid that video at all costs just on the basis of that.

Doug didn’t do instantly recognizable thumbnails beside he wants to sneak up on you and drive a tHISSS… straight into your brain.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

As Nero Danced posted:

I disagree with you dudes about Carwow, I quite like it. Mat Watson's thumbnail thing is half ironic and half because it literally will get them more views and money, I think.

He's just a likable guy to me, and goes into a decent amount of detail. In a world where the vast majority of cars are appliances, any reviewer that seems to get genuinely excited and cares about cars being Fun and Good will get a gold star in my book.

I also turn off YouTube embeds on the forums so I never see thumbnails linked here, just a plain blue link.

:goonsay:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Maverick review out ahead of the embargo (because they didn't get a press car, they bought it from a dealer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmcQX8DGdTI

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jeffrey if you’re reading this I promise I won’t shoot anybody I’ll even sign a pledge card or something that says I won’t.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Inner Light posted:

I disagree with you dudes about Carwow, I quite like it. Mat Watson's thumbnail thing is half ironic and half because it literally will get them more views and money, I think.

yea i hate that poo poo but channels do it because it works, channel owners have access to metrics that allow them to test these things and turns out a clickbait soyface thumbnail gets the goods

https://youtu.be/S2xHZPH5Sng

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Zero One posted:

Maverick review out ahead of the embargo (because they didn't get a press car, they bought it from a dealer).

drat, I want it even more now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BloodBag posted:

drat, I want it even more now.

go meditate on this mantra: do not buy a first or even second year new ford vehicle

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Citroen Ami best electric car.

Yes, wish we could get it or anything similar in New Zealand. I even emailed some greens politicians but it's basically too hard because it would require new legislation to cover them and politicians are too busy doing..... ???.... to make new legislation.

knox_harrington posted:

This guy so annoying.

I actually don't mind his reviews, yeah he's over-hyping stuff because I guess people would rather watch high-energy stuff (that said I also like Savagegeese). He does seem to be doing it ironically most of the time though and seems to be happy to point out when stuff is poo poo rather than trying to paper over it so that companies keep sending him press cars. I also like that he goes over stuff related to usability and practicality vs. just doing a few drag races and gushing about it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zero One posted:

There's definitely some cool ideas going on here especially with the interior given the price point. But man, this would be so much more appealing to me as a two-door extended cab with a six-foot bed.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

saw my first snouty bmw in the wild and couldn't stop thinking about the salton sea

if I owned one I'd have to check for badgers every time I got in

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

FBS posted:

There's definitely some cool ideas going on here especially with the interior given the price point. But man, this would be so much more appealing to me as a two-door extended cab with a six-foot bed.

I kind of get why regular and extended cabs are basically dead on full-size trucks (more room to work with, plus ~6 ft is "eh, good enough..."), but on a compact truck the long-ish bed + extended cab combo makes so much more sense and would actually sell in higher market share.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

They want to sell these to millennials and gen z but none of us have kids and anyone with kids is convinced they need a three-row SUV anyway so two doors should be plenty!

I guess the only catch is a two-door wouldn't work as an Uber...

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That review made me think about how much more interesting the Santa Cruz is than the rest of the mid-sized truck lineups. It has a better drivetrain than that maverick and looks a whole lot better. If only the bed were not so small.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FBS posted:

They want to sell these to millennials and gen z but none of us have kids and anyone with kids is convinced they need a three-row SUV anyway so two doors should be plenty!

I guess the only catch is a two-door wouldn't work as an Uber...

We have dogs instead OP. All we can afford.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EnergizerFellow posted:

I kind of get why regular and extended cabs are basically dead on full-size trucks (more room to work with, plus ~6 ft is "eh, good enough..."), but on a compact truck the long-ish bed + extended cab combo makes so much more sense and would actually sell in higher market share.

Most people don't need the bed for anything but trunk space, which is why people buy double cabs - they're essentially looking for a family car with different styling.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Most people don't need the bed for anything but trunk space, which is why people buy double cabs - they're essentially looking for a family car with different styling.

Modern crew cab 1/2 tons are definitely the modern replacement for a GM B-body / Ford Panther / Chrysler M-body, no question. Doubly so when the whole "You can afford only one car..." angle kicks in with modern truck pricing.

That said, there is a market for dirt cheap, long bed trucks to compliment the likes of the Ford Transit Connect. Their cheapness also helps with the second car angle, which should ease the desire for 4 doors.

What is interesting with the Ford Maverick is that they seem to have benchmarked the 2nd-gen Dodge Dakota, near as I can tell. Other than the extra foot of wheelbase (with corresponding extra foot of bed length and overall length), the Maverick is almost exactly a 2nd-gen Dakota dimensionally. Even the MSRP is spot-on with that era of Dakota too (and even less when adjusted for inflation).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 1, 2021

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The maverick makes sense to me as a four door since it is targeting people that are more likely to use the rear seat area for people and items they want protected from weather and theft than use the bed for something that wouldn't fit in an SUV.

I also wonder if the suspension and power train are rugged enough to do real truck stuff on the regular.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wheeee posted:

go meditate on this mantra: do not buy a first or even second year new ford vehicle

That's the only thing that's stopping me from even doing a test drive. I feel like the Mav really ticks my boxes and I'm afraid if I go drive one I'm really going to want one. I fear first-year Fords. Who knows, maybe we'll get an ST with the refresh.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Gangringo posted:

The maverick makes sense to me as a four door since it is targeting people that are more likely to use the rear seat area for people and items they want protected from weather and theft than use the bed for something that wouldn't fit in an SUV.

That's what the Bronco Sport is for. Same for the Transit Connect. We're also asking for an extended/club cab, not a tiny 80s-style regular cab.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's the only thing that's stopping me from even doing a test drive. I feel like the Mav really ticks my boxes and I'm afraid if I go drive one I'm really going to want one. I fear first-year Fords. Who knows, maybe we'll get an ST with the refresh.

Raptor

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Gangringo posted:

I also wonder if the suspension and power train are rugged enough to do real truck stuff on the regular.

I want a truck for my landscaping and woodworking (I would no longer need to get 8 feet sheets of wood cut down to fit in my car), but my driveway is a 90 degree turn into my garage so a full size truck would stick out.

I'm having a tough time following the mantra because a loaded new Maverick is less $$ over the used Rangers/Tacos/Colorados I've been scoping out. I think I just might get a goddamn Maverick and deal with any first year issues :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blackhawk posted:

An EV with no frunk? Why on earth would BMW be so stupid...... just re-inforces my deep set hate of anything with a BMW badge

Edit : Also gently caress touch screen but the Tesla dash looks like will become industry standard if BMW are following it :/

As Nero Danced posted:

Carwow has never made me close tab like DeMuro does. I kinda like his understated humour but I can get why carwow can be grating

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 1, 2021