Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

What the everloving gently caress even is a lib dem?
A misearable pile of squirrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hence why I was thinking 'surreptious', not obvious. Especially if you are the only person around other than the beat-up-ee to see what is happening.

My point was it doesn't actually stop the incident from happening and even video evidence existing outside of police hands doesn't really result in meaningful action against the police later on - Ian Tomlinson as an example, where the cop is filmed just lashing out at a passerby causing his death and there's years of defence of the cop, an acquittal and then a supposed change in procedure which changed nothing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

namesake posted:

My point was it doesn't actually stop the incident from happening and even video evidence existing outside of police hands doesn't really result in meaningful action against the police later on - Ian Tomlinson as an example, where the cop is filmed just lashing out at a passerby causing his death and there's years of defence of the cop, an acquittal and then a supposed change in procedure which changed nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson

Once they acquitted him, they slyly fired the cop from the Met, and then paid the family on the quiet to shut them up.
Something you would definitely do if you knew your guy was innocent.
All to keep the boy's in blue name untarnished.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yup, I'm convinced that at some point in the immediate aftermath, the press must have done some memory implantation specifically about him jumping the barrier because everyone who brings that event up, including myself until recently, seem to remember that he jumped the ticket barrier and ran into the station.

It's an interesting example of the problem with eyewitnesses and also the wet cement effect of early reporting.

Early reports all mentioned a man jumping the barrier being chased by armed police, who were shouting at him to stop, and that De Menezes was in a heavy coat with wires coming out of it. These were taken from two eye witnesses, one a member of staff at the station and one a passenger on the train. The actual (official) Met statements mentioned neither of these facts, in fact nothing but the most minimal details that they'd shot someone who they believed to be a suicide bomber on the train.

The problem is that the person jumping the barrier was in fact an armed officer[1] in plain clothes (which obviously would be fairly bulky to conceal body armour, weapons, etc) with other officers with weapons drawn running behind shouting for the barriers to be opened, and the person in the heavy coat with wires coming out of it was one of the surveillance officers who had followed De Menezes onto the train and who was dragged away by the officers who actually killed De Menezes[2].

The thing is that this was an incredibly high-stress and out-of-the-ordinary situation so eyewitness reports are very unlikely to be useful - when you see blokes with guns running around just a few weeks after a massive terrorist attack and the day after a failed repeat (everyone always forgets 21/7) you're not carefully noting down details, you're loving running away and hiding. It's an example I always use but air crash investigators almost *never* use eye witness reports because every eye witness to a plane crash reports the plane as being on fire as it hit the ground and also making a screaming noise on the way down because that's how plane crashes look in films because the brain is desperately trying to come up with something that will tell it what to do.

Press reporting based on those two eye witnesses fit a narrative so they went with it, especially as on the day nobody had any reason to doubt that De Menezes was actually the missing suspect from 21/7 or even the supposed fifth bomber from 7/7, and the human brain's love of stories kicks in and sets that as your knowledge of what happened. Because the later corrections aren't as sensational, they don't make as much of an impression on you, so you keep the original, erroneous version of events - this is the wet cement effect, and it's one that's always rumoured to be the reason why leaked versions of police-involved shootings always come out as sensational tales of derring-do (e.g. Mark Duggan) - funnily enough in this one case that *doesn't* seem to be the case.

[1] This is an interesting and mostly-unexamined wrinkle in the story. On the cover of the Metro that De Menezes stopped to pick up would have been an (in)famous picture of armed police at UCH on 21/7 which showed two men carrying H&K G36s, which weren't at the time issued to any police force. These two were also shorter and rather scruffier than armed plod tend to be, and this (combined with the fact that said picture promptly disappeared from every news website) led to the rumour that men who definitely *did* know what colour the boathouse at Hereford was were being used on the streets of London, something that was eventually quietly admitted to some time later when the Met admitted they had received "support from the Armed Forces" in the investigation into both 7/7 and 21/7. Met officers all know you can just run into the barriers and they'll open, which is considerably quicker than jumping them (as is just running through the luggage barrier), so I've always taken this as proof that at least one of Them was at Stockwell that day. Given They were apparently the authors of, and certainly involved in the training of officers for, Operation Kratos (the "just shoot them in the head" policy in force for suspected suicide bombers in force at the time) it shouldn't be that surprising, but it's always been a detail that's stuck in my head.

[2] Probably didn't help that the surveillance officer was significantly darker-skinned than De Menezes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(everyone always forgets 21/7)
I remember it because they made a big deal of the foreign chapati flour being used as part of the explosive, in the absence of any more salacious lines of interest.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Hold on I thought this was a joke. Is this...is this real?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I remember it because they made a big deal of the foreign chapati flour being used as part of the explosive, in the absence of any more salacious lines of interest.

Yeah, the insinuation that you'd never use Good Protestant White English Flour like McDougalls for nefarious purposes.

(I have theories about that flour too but lol if you think I'm even speaking them out loud let alone typing them out on the internet)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Giggle Goose posted:

Evergreen post.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I know lots of people think he had a rucksack too but that's also nonsense.

He's talking shite. The full quote is "The problem in this country, in all areas, is that the minorities always get the upper hand cos we’re so tolerant & minorities have to be squashed, like that!"

"In all areas" doesn't relate to these protestors, it relates to all minorities.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 1, 2021

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Giggle Goose posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1443976966718242816

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

New thread title.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, the insinuation that you'd never use Good Protestant White English Flour like McDougalls for nefarious purposes.

(I have theories about that flour too but lol if you think I'm even speaking them out loud let alone typing them out on the internet)

I must say I'm intrigued but I respect your desire to not end up in a briefcase

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

New thread title.

UKMT October 2021 - We have written to some Germans to post here

And

"Sorry luv, can't save your house from burning, got these Coco Pops for Hull"

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 1, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

at least when they drowsily plough their mandatory overtime lorry full of findus crispy pancakes through a christmas market they'll already have skills in medical triage and firefighting

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mourning Due posted:

Completely different topic and I don't mean to be insensitive: my works given us a £350 "wellness payment" to buy something that makes us happy, which I thought was bloody decent tbh. I've been after a rice cooker for some time and thought it would be straightforward, but there's so many. Any recommendations? I wanted to go big with a Zojirushi, but the models available in the UK are apparently old tech, and don't fancy paying £300 for an outdated model. Looking at the Yum Asia Panda, anyone used it? Any others you like?

I got a rice cooker for my birthday and it's aces.
I got the Yum Asia Fuji. It's like the Panda but it's got this really sleak design where it sort of looks like an old fashioned bamboo cooker but lights up really organically.

It's great for Rice and you can use it to make Porridge and bread. I tried the Porridge and preferred cooking it in pan, but it's nice to ha e the option.

Would recommend the Fuji. Just beware that the cooking bowl is ceramic so you have to make sure you don't drop it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Bit late to Bond chat but I'm camping in Northumberland so deal with it.

I really enjoyed the version in the Leaguebof Extraordinary Gentlemen comics- all the misogyny, brutality, bigotry and incompetence of the book Bond as a guy who serves whoever's in charge (including Miniluv during the Big Brother years) in order to advance. The movie Bonds are used as his lackeys(the J agents). Anyway, Emma Peel kills him in the end and it's quite satisfying.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

I got the Yum Asia Fuji. It's like the Panda but it's got this really sleak design where it sort of looks like an old fashioned bamboo cooker but lights up really organically.

It's great for Rice and you can use it to make Porridge and bread. I tried the Porridge and preferred cooking it in pan, but it's nice to ha e the option.

Would recommend the Fuji. Just beware that the cooking bowl is ceramic so you have to make sure you don't drop it.

I bought a 'Crockpot' brand rice cooker for £10 of Gumtree and tbh it's fine, couple of years on with use two or three times a week and it's going strong. I'm not sure what I'd spend the other £340 on tho. Rice, maybe?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

Porridge is much better cooked slowly overnight. About 1/3 cup per portion, about 3.5 x volume of liquid (water or water and a bit of milk).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you can cook rice in a bag in a microwave or just like eat better food that isnt all little bits.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wanted to get away from the reality of psychotic sex criminals getting to do whatever they want with impunity because they work for the government, so I saw the new James Bond film.

It was quite good.

Nanomachines, son!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
please stop posting letters from Viz

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

After 45 years or more you'd think she'd have forgotten how lb & oz work.
I remember doing Imperial measures at school :corsair: - gave the old arithmetic in different bases a good workout.
I remember being about 5 and having learned that 3+6 was the same as 6+3 misapplied it to money and said to my dad: 3/6 (3 shillings and 6d) is the same as 6/3 (6 shillings and 3d) isn't it dad - erm no.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lasses have always struggled with money to be fair.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

UKMT October 2021 - We have written to some Germans to post here

And

"Sorry luv, can't save your house from burning, got these Coco Pops for Hull"

On it. May let the Great Pump Queue go for a couple more days.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was really heavily reported that he did, and I think the eventual conclusion was that it was one of the police who jumped the barrier and everybody "accidentally" got the story wrong .
See also witnesses being absolutely sure they saw him in an unseasonably warm bulky jacket and carrying a box or having wires coming out of his clothes, when nothing of the kind was actually true.

edit: oh, beaten by twisto

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 1, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dug up this ancient b3ta front page which is burned into my memory:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A misearable pile of squirrels.

man i forgot Jo! was some kind of squirrel hive mind in a long coat

good times (really bad times)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bridlington , the road to nowhere

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1444030449903353860

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
after nite fel Peason and i sneke down 2 the forcort with fotherington-tomas bag of felt tips

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:hehe:

fuel-seekers jfc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mama didn't raise no fule

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

after nite fel Peason and i sneke down 2 the forcort with fotherington-tomas bag of felt tips

Lol now that's a reference that I wasn't expecting to see in the UKMT.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a merry fuletide to one and all

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

crispix posted:

:hehe:

fuel-seekers jfc

Chrone Boys wanting their Guzzleleen!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

Porridge is much better cooked slowly overnight. About 1/3 cup per portion, about 3.5 x volume of liquid (water or water and a bit of milk).

If I make Porridge overnights, I do them as overnights oats. A mixture of porridge oats, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, chia seeds, fresh fruit and either peanut butter and or Nutella.
Leave it in a jar and take it to work, serve it cold. Delicious.

If I want hot Porridge, I use my wife's recipe or oats, salt and non-dairy milk. (We are both a bit lactose intolerant.)

The Fuji is designed when it does Porridge to do it overnight for like 8 hour cycles. That's fine, but not how I like my Porridge.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you can cook rice in a bag in a microwave or just like eat better food that isnt all little bits.

Why roast a chicken when you can just buy pre-cooked chicken? I still use microwavable rice when I'm in a rush. But the taste if well cooked rice can't be beat.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cookie Cutter posted:

What annoys me most about modern Bond is that to my ears Adele is clearly singing flat in the song Skyfall, and doesn't hit any of the high notes. It's like listening to T2 - Heartbroken. To me it's like "how did this get released".

e: not saying Heartbroken isn't a banger btw cus it is :colbert:

From the first page, but a couple of singing teachers I know reckon she's in tune but that her tone is terrible and that's why she sounds like she's struggling. It's probably why she didn't record another take which sounded better - every singer flubs notes, but changing the tone requires changing the way that a singer sings.

Either way, yeah, it sounds....not good.

Re: Imperial measures - they never went away properly but they're never going to fully come back either. Things very specifically British are still mostly in Imperial. Milk is still symbolically sold in "pints" even if the carton says 1.1litres, road signs are in miles. But any food/medicine imported from other countries will be in metric quantities and any foods/medicines exported from the UK will also need labelling in metric otherwise it can't be sold. At best, some companies might go the expense of printing both numbers on the labels? No petrol station managers are looking at the current situation and deciding that their priority right now is to convert all the signage and pricing into gallons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some of the products sold in 454g packages like butter, marmalade, and golden syrup might relabel themselves 1lb (℮ 454g).

*5 minutes later*
Some of the products like butter, marmalade, and golden syrup might still be sold, we don't know.