Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rectal Death Adept posted:

two skeletons walk into a bar

first skeleton says "Well what do you know about us destroying life on earth with runaway greenhouse gases making it a hothouse planet"
second skeleton says "um actually "Hothouse" is evocative of Venus and Earth could never be classified in the same tier of "Hothouse" as Venus due to the fact that Venus is closer to the sun that earth. The amount of solar radiation absorbed by Venus is so much more than Earth with a different atmosphere concentration that really Earth could never possibly be considered to have done the same thing as Venus and if you want to suggest this is hypothetically possible then I really need more background than that. The original cited scientist wasn't actually a climate scientist and the variables aren't exactly going in your favor by comparing solar apples to solar oranges.

you dumbass you're the one that made the claim about it being like venus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real
- Started happening in earnest a couple of years ago

lmao

I have been laughing all morning at this, I think I'm going to be sick from choking. Lmao if Guy McPherson ends up validated after all

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

mediaphage posted:

ok if you want to just believe random people making unproven claims about the planet that's fine but don't act like it's any kind of guarantee

Stephen Hawkins is a "random person"?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Stephen Hawkins is a "random person"?

hawking

about climate science yes

i'd trust his thoughts about cosmology pretty well, his blathering about AI and aliens and the climate, though, are about as worthwhile as any other non-relevant stem ph

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Car Hater posted:

Lmao if Guy McPherson ends up validated after all

:)

Now watch this drive!

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

two skeletons walk into a bar

first skeleton says "Well what do you know about us destroying life on earth with runaway greenhouse gases making it a hothouse planet"
second skeleton says "um actually "Hothouse" is evocative of Venus and Earth could never be classified in the same tier of "Hothouse" as Venus due to the fact that Venus is closer to the sun that earth. The amount of solar radiation absorbed by Venus is so much more than Earth with a different atmosphere concentration that really Earth could never possibly be considered to have done the same thing as Venus and if you want to suggest this is hypothetically possible then I really need more background than that. The original cited scientist wasn't actually a climate scientist and the variables aren't exactly going in your favor by comparing solar apples to solar oranges.

and then a third skeleton is all like hey yall check it out i got a boner. lol. lmao.

hes had too much to drink probably

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real

lmao

aw gently caress lol aw gently caress lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Reverend Zero posted:

and then a third skeleton is all like hey yall check it out i got a boner. lol. lmao.

hes had too much to drink probably

https://youtu.be/3lKrWYesiWU
Laughing skeleton for thread mascot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Car Hater posted:

https://youtu.be/3lKrWYesiWU
Laughing skeleton for thread mascot

i'm torn between this one and be gay do crimes

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Mercury is way cooler than Venus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kaxman posted:

Mercury is way cooler than Venus

my favourite mercury fact is that in the craters at the poles there is a surprising amount of ice, theoretically enough to support an outpost or colony

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

This sounds pretty optimistic

I figured it would be a few dregs of humanity licking cave walls for moisture and lichen because outside they have to battle starving acid squids that realized easy human prey stumbles around on the shores looking for food.

It's octopus people doing this

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

toggle posted:

What's stopping them from making highways to transport all the soy? They're ripping up the forests for soy anyway, may as well throw a coupla roads down. Infrastructure jobs!!!!

lmao

over land transport uses too much fuel. they'd have to buy that fuel first, which would cost more than soybeans are being sold for. then no one would buy the bulk soy at the new higher price anyways

i was gonna make some joke, but realized the actual answer is too sad

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

mediaphage posted:

my favourite mercury fact is that in the craters at the poles there is a surprising amount of ice, theoretically enough to support an outpost or colony

I did not know this. Mercury just became even cooler!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Donziger got 6 months in real jail for contempt of court lmfao, guess it doesn't pay to win a lawsuit against Chevron

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1444013420857204737?s=19

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

i'm torn between this one and be gay do crimes

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

RIP Syndrome posted:

- Is real

lmao

:kstare:

:rubby:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Donziger got 6 months in real jail for contempt of court lmfao, guess it doesn't pay to win a lawsuit against Chevron

there's something about this story in particular that's just uniquely infuriating, too bad that antifa goon got arrested a few days ago so we all have to behave nicely in posts

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mayor Dave posted:

Just banana republic things

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
This is just like that part when they find the professor in Wargames except Joshua is capitalism and the nukes is multiple clathrate gun events that we do not allow models to consider at the policy level and Whopper is dumb as loving poo poo and incapable of learning at all.

Lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shipon posted:

there's something about this story in particular that's just uniquely infuriating, too bad that antifa goon got arrested a few days ago so we all have to behave nicely in posts

It rapidly changes from inciting violence to meta incitation

I'm not SAYING anything I'm just pointing out certain things COULD be said that could have a certain character to them or have a specific kind of effect if acted upon

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
is the oil industry the most evil institution ever to have existed in human history? probably. the nazis killed like 15 million people, climate change gonna be doing that every year soon enough

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Shipon posted:

link to goon’s story out of curiosity?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chevron just put a man under house arrest for two years and then imprisoned him for an additional six months. And scarcely anyone knows about it. Think about that. Has a private corporation ever previously managed to imprison a US citizen in the US?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Popoto posted:

link to goon’s story out of curiosity?
https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/antifa-member-benjamin-varela-charged-with-shooting-protester/

he was poster "Doorknob Slobber", pretty good name honestly

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Chevron just put a man under house arrest for two years and then imprisoned him for an additional six months. And scarcely anyone knows about it. Think about that. Has a private corporation ever previously managed to imprison a US citizen in the US?

it’s probably because they couldn’t get away with murdering him right now, so that’s some progress for society!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s probably because they couldn’t get away with murdering him right now, so that’s some progress for society!
ah yes jail, not known for anyone who might have information implicating those with power being "suicided"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Chevron looked at Ag-gag laws and said we gotta get us some of that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Basic Poster posted:

This is just like that part when they find the professor in Wargames except Joshua is capitalism and the nukes is multiple clathrate gun events that we do not allow models to consider at the policy level and W.O.P.R. is dumb as loving poo poo and incapable of learning at all.

Lol

"The only winning move is to end up with the highest market capitalization and shift the paradigms right out of all of the boxes."

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

RIP Syndrome posted:

- Is real

lmao

haha that owns

quote:

"It's actually quite concerning," said Edward Schwieterman, a planetary scientist at the University of California at Riverside who was not involved in the new study.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"quite concerning" you say? well thank god it's only that and not "bad" or anything of the sort!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
at least multiple types of apocalyptic shifts that weren't supposed to happen for decades or centuries aren't also happening right now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

clouds are synonomous with trouble and depression so im glad that someone is doing something about it

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

wtf.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

at least multiple types of apocalyptic shifts that weren't supposed to happen for decades or centuries aren't also happening right now

theres always tommorow

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
correction: multiple types of apocalyptic shifts that weren't supposed to happen for decades or centuries are also happening right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

correction: multiple types of apocalyptic shifts that weren't supposed to happen for decades or centuries are also happening right now

no, no, see the planet's a noob and is shooting its entire feedback load right now and won't have anything left at 4C+ to shove everybody into 12C+

we just gotta ride out the initial surge and then it'll be smooth sailing

the captains of industry are ahead of the game again with their bunkers