Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Death Stranding is one of those games I would recommend everyone plays. It's a good and memorable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

tripwood posted:

Is this unpopular? The only Souls-like I've ever truly enjoyed is Blasphemous, goddamn that game is great.

I don't know if they were added later but I always felt like the inclusion of various screen filters to CRT TV up the visuals hinted towards the game being a lot more influenced by older games than any of the Souls-likes.

I mean obviously Souls-likes are an influence with the bosses and stuff around that, but it feels pretty unique and arguably a somewhat special game in its own right.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
everything must have a label. everything must fit into tightly defined categories. if it doesn't, we will make a new category, then make things to fit into that category.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deathloop and The Outer Wilds are kinda a new genre of timeloop games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

People are always telling Kojima to be less weird and to become more boring and its stupid.

Kojima being weird is good. In fact, I'd say that's what he's best at. The problem is he also thinks that he's a serious auteur with something important to say when he's really just a weird guy with some sophmore college stoner thoughts and a hard-on for the military.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The ending of Fallout3 makes perfect sense. The mutant insisting that the you go to the radiation room is because he thinks you're a dick. Which you are. A thieving murdering dick.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I bought Pathfinder: Kinmaker on GOG cuz it was on sale very cheap and I love everything about it.

I love the agonizingly slow out of combat movement speed even when completely unencumbered. Love watching my Barbarian companion whiff again and again and again and again. Love having one more slot for a companion and finding two brand new ones and I can't look at their character sheets to decide which one should come with me immediately. I love that I'm familiar with D&D but not the 9 billion subclasses that the game refers to everyone as so I don't even know what base class the guy I just added to my party, sight-unseen, is. Love the half-asleep voice acting and the dozens, nae, hundreds of daggers and short bows I'm finding as loot.

Just everything about it is superb. Never have I been on such a grand adventure and I suspect that never will I do so again, until the day I'm stupid and bored enough to buy Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This isn't d&d, it's pathfinder :grin:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Deathloop and The Outer Wilds are kinda a new genre of timeloop games.

It really does feel like that. The Forgotten City and 12 Minutes are also recent releases in that vein.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

This isn't d&d, it's pathfinder :grin:

Love that my companions need to rest every 3 or 4 minutes and that a simple concept such as "have dinner and get some sleep" requires assigning chores to everyone (nobody has succeeded at cooking the meal or camouflaging the camp yet). Epic adventure.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Love that the character unique camping skills don't seem to be explained anywhere.

It's just a really good game guys

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't get trying to import vancian casting from tabletop RPGs into videogames, it makes no sense imo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's just a really good game guys

Every time I read something about the Pathfinder games I feel good about my decision to stay away from them. They sound like the worst kind of early 00's cRPG.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't remember any CRPGs that I've played that had actually good gameplay. I suppose the new XCOMs were ok but I'm not sure if they really qualify as ye olde d&d clones. Some have ok storylines and characters but combat is always frustrating unfun poo poo

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Random Stranger posted:

Kojima being weird is good. In fact, I'd say that's what he's best at. The problem is he also thinks that he's a serious auteur with something important to say when he's really just a weird guy with some sophmore college stoner thoughts and a hard-on for the military.

:c00lbutt:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Now I'm stuck in an endless battle because this thing I just beat up regenerates 3 HP per round and it's doing it even though it's been on the ground for like four rounds and we've been bashing the poo poo out of it. I even used coup-de-grace which specifically says it's an insta-kill and it just keeps healing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't remember any CRPGs that I've played that had actually good gameplay. I suppose the new XCOMs were ok but I'm not sure if they really qualify as ye olde d&d clones. Some have ok storylines and characters but combat is always frustrating unfun poo poo

Usually the turn-based ones have more enjoyable gameplay. With some exceptions, the RTwP ones are usually a mess.

Edit: sticking to isometrics here

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Oh apparently it has to fail a fortitude saving throw for coup-de-grace to actually work. It took eight tries lol.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Six people standing around an unconscious dog taking turns trying to cut its head off and they just can't manage it. The smell of feces in the air, but it has nothing to do with the dog.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so how long until your Polygon article comes out

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Oh apparently it has to fail a fortitude saving throw for coup-de-grace to actually work. It took eight tries lol.

Look, that is what the rulebook says.

What do you mean it's not fun?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

MGS2 was prescient and you cannot take that away from the man

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Excelzior posted:

so how long until your Polygon article comes out

The spell and ability descriptions on the hotbar are cut off halfway through so I don't know what anything does. I have to open the character sheet, click on another tab, find the right spell level, right click and select info to actually learn what it does.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Have you tried turning off the game playing on the lowest difficulty?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

itry posted:

Have you tried turning off the game playing on the lowest difficulty?

I'll die first

I'm a gamer

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tripwood posted:

Is this unpopular? The only Souls-like I've ever truly enjoyed is Blasphemous, goddamn that game is great.

im too lazy to get good at a game like that but i love the art and music

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The post sotn Castlevania-metroidvanias are a pale imitation of symphony and only just ok.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The post sotn Castlevania-metroidvanias are a pale imitation of symphony and only just ok.

Furthermore, Symphony of the Night is better than any of the Metroid games

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
If you like 90-late 00s CRPGs then I suggest giving Serpent in the Staglands a shot. Cool setting, tough but fair tactical fights, does not hold your hand at all.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail is probably the most unforgiving CRPG I've run across.

My first time playing I spent a few hours meticulously hand creating my party only to have it start raining the first night I camped outside of the starting town.

This lead to everyone getting sick and unable to wake in time to stop a band of bandits coming along and stabbing everything to death in their sleeping bags.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

If you like 90-late 00s CRPGs then I suggest giving Serpent in the Staglands a shot. Cool setting, tough but fair tactical fights, does not hold your hand at all.

I remember looking at this game, but at a glance the game world seemed really empty.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Vakal posted:

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail is probably the most unforgiving CRPG I've run across.

My first time playing I spent a few hours meticulously hand creating my party only to have it start raining the first night I camped outside of the starting town.

This lead to everyone getting sick and unable to wake in time to stop a band of bandits coming along and stabbing everything to death in their sleeping bags.

those games are REALLY loving hard. There's some CRPGs that are just too hard for me. Realms of Arkania and Wizardry off the top of my head. And I like tough CRPGs.

I like Serpent in the Stagland's setting a lot. It's pretty unique. There's a lot of wilderness to travel through, but I wouldn't say it's empty at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Love that my companions need to rest every 3 or 4 minutes and that a simple concept such as "have dinner and get some sleep" requires assigning chores to everyone (nobody has succeeded at cooking the meal or camouflaging the camp yet). Epic adventure.

Lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

bloodstained is pretty good :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Six people standing around an unconscious dog taking turns trying to cut its head off and they just can't manage it. The smell of feces in the air, but it has nothing to do with the dog.

Have you tried lighting it on fire?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pathfinder kingmaker is an awful trash game full of moronic bad decisions and poor game design.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Pathfinder games are the best CRPGs ever made if your brain is big enough to handle more than 'read text and click enemy haha'

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I actually unironically believe they are the best CRPGs ever made but I only ironically insult people for not liking them, you can like whatever you want

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They're the only CRPGs I have ever played that actually feel like they are about the roleplaying aspect and developing a character who is going on a grand adventure that includes more than the usual videogame trappings of "pick good or evil, cast strong spell on enemy, gently caress your companions and read linear narrative". They're also the only good CRPGs that have even attempted injecting anything more than what was found in Baldur's Gate 1 into the mix in the form of adding other systems to engage with the world and plot, like kingdom or crusade management, even if they're not great. They are the only contemporary CRPGs that do not have "streamline and simplify" as a cornerstone design philosophy which owns. They both do fun and non-stereotypical things with alignment and morality and they just feel like they were designed with a kind of love that goes beyond sales figures. They are the only CRPGs that have ever successfully implemented both Real Time With Pause and tabletop-authentic turn based modes that can be switched between on the fly which gives you the best of both worlds - fun turn-based tactical fights for things that are difficult and breezing through in real time for the things that aren't. They have more content packed into them than any other CRPG I can think of and they are truly an evolution of the isometric CRPG genre.

But they are hella dense and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to put 100+ hours into one of them to make it to the end of character creation.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blink twice if you need help, ddpm