Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On rice cookers, not for everyone but, my wife is diabetic and we were in the market for a new one and we stumbled across this one.
We thought "That can't possibly be true"
Having been around the hills for years trying endless low carb alternatives that are all just poo poo, frankly but... loving hell, it works!

It basically drains the water out into a separate container after a bit of cooking, then steams the rice the rest of the way. Since the starch doesn't reabsorb into the rice, it ends up being about 1/3 less carbs, which is huge! Less carbs = less insulin needed = less weight gain. Woop.

Needs a bit of tinkering with amounts of water to get non mushy rice but I honestly can't tell the difference one we nailed it and can now share a bowl of fried rice with the lady instead of having to watch her sadly poke at a bowl of shirataki or riced cabbage, which is ace!

(note: riced cabbage is loving awesome if you cook it like okonomiyaki, try it!)

E: catte hot tub tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Has Starmer supported introducing checks on whether people are actually cold, or just exhibiting fuel-seeking behavior?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

You were never actually banned from using imperial units right? You just also had to have metric on the packet as well?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I think my favorite part of the 'advice' to try and check if the cop/arrest is legitimate is like. Okay, let's pretend the other problems don't exist. Let's pretend that you can say "Actually can I call your duty sargeant to check that you are a real cop" or "Is this a real arrest?" or try to get the attention of a third party without it being most likely to result in a kicking from the cop who is arresting you*, let's pretend it's an effective way to find out that an arrest is a legitimate one.

What, exactly, does this do to stop someone who is out to commit crimes in the guise of a police officer on real police business? Is he supposed to go "Ah you got me, yeah, I was out to kidnap, rape, and murder you, but guess that's out the window now lol"? And despite their efforts to obfuscate the fact, as Couzens was in fact a real police officer, he had abundant training in subduing and cuffing someone who is resisting. And not only enough viciousness to be a policeman - and thus entirely willing to use said training - but also enough viciousness to do what he did to Sarah Everard. So uh, even if it didn't gently caress you if they are a real cop, how does this help anyway?

* Given how many people die in custody with nothing coming of it I would dare to say that, without wishing to diminish the atrocity committed by Constable Wayne Couzens, you're probably in more danger from real arrests than from him.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Alctel posted:

You were never actually banned from using imperial units right? You just also had to have metric on the packet as well?

didn't the metric also have to be bigger, or something

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I married an American so everything is in cups, pounds, grams, celcius, fan, fahrenheit and for some reason dl measures as well.

I don't get all the fuss from people hating one or the other. It's not like anyone who ever googles a recipe hasn't had to deal with converting poo poo and weird measurements from other countries. Guess it's just old people again being shite.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

my greatest dream is to own a fantastically successful cooking blog where all the measurements are in metric units and my American readers just have to deal with it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mebh posted:

I married an American so everything is in cups, pounds, grams, celcius, fan, fahrenheit and for some reason dl measures as well.

I don't get all the fuss from people hating one or the other. It's not like anyone who ever googles a recipe hasn't had to deal with converting poo poo and weird measurements from other countries. Guess it's just old people again being shite.

yeah, i mean i'm an american but have a science background so it's easy to switch back and forth

americans act mystified with metrics and europeans especially act mystified by imperial. it's dumb and google exists and people are just lazy

Mebh
May 10, 2010

If you're doing precise baking. Weigh your liquids.
If you're not. Whatever the gently caress. Nothing else really matters anyway. I tried to make crumpets in colorado once. Now that was loving hard. Altitude plus flour that I swear is 50 percent sawdust. Spent a year there and became intolerant to gluten for a year after!

I have neigbours who were going to throw out an entire thing of mince as they only needed 400g and it was a substitute of 600g. They decided not to use it and had no space in their freezer.

People are loving weird man.

Basically. Eat more beans. And don't loving measure them! MORE BEANS!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Mebh posted:

Basically. Eat more beans. And don't loving measure them! MORE BEANS!

I'm just away to have bean casserole for breakfast

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my name is Brit,
and on and on,
there is no fud
the fule is gon,
but wen our land
haf gon to fuk -
i brake the law
i nick the truk.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ndroidApp_Other

Some of the meltiest guardian columnists are starting to realise that Boris is proper fash. I guess this is good?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my name is Brit,
and on and on,
there is no fud
the fule is gon,
but wen our land
haf gon to fuk -
i brake the law
i nick the truk.

:golfclap:

Little something I whipped up on my phone this morning, I'm sure others have done it better: Immortan Johnson, from Mad Max: Brexit Road

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ndroidApp_Other

Some of the meltiest guardian columnists are starting to realise that Boris is proper fash. I guess this is good?

gently caress em, they've known all along. Just they're back to pretending to have concerns.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Some of the products sold in 454g packages like butter, marmalade, and golden syrup might relabel themselves 1lb (℮ 454g).

*5 minutes later*
Some of the products like butter, marmalade, and golden syrup might still be sold, we don't know.

more like 1lb (℮ 400g)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

These stories are honestly so baffling. I just ran a little bit longer than I normally do on a tank and then went to a petrol station a little bit earlier in the morning than I normally would and everything was fine.

How are these people do desperate that they are tailing trucks in the hope of draining their previous fluids? Surely they are wasting even more time+petrol?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

How are these people do desperate that they are tailing trucks in the hope of draining their previous fluids? Surely they are wasting even more time+petrol?

the english are dumb idiots op hth.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

These stories are honestly so baffling. I just ran a little bit longer than I normally do on a tank and then went to a petrol station a little bit earlier in the morning than I normally would and everything was fine.

Where do you live though? Its worse in and around london. As is the fuel situation.

If I get a speeding fine and the infraction is described in imperial units its illegal and i don't have to pay the fine.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

There is no evidence that the story actually happened. This is just some guy getting his 15 mins of fame telling porkies.

I mean come on, 20 cars all deciding to follow a tanker? I could kinda buy one or two cars doing it, but 20? And it doesn't even look like a petrol tanker?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There is no evidence that the story actually happened. This is just some guy getting his 15 mins of fame telling porkies.

I mean come on, 20 cars all deciding to follow a tanker? I could kinda buy one or two cars doing it, but 20? And it doesn't even look like a petrol tanker?

On the other hand, there absolutely are enough people who are dumb as rocks to make this plausible.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Where do you live though? Its worse in and around london. As is the fuel situation.

If I get a speeding fine and the infraction is described in imperial units its illegal and i don't have to pay the fine.

I'm in Manchester, but thanks for supporting my continuing bias that London is hell on earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've barely noticed the fuel thing up here, we had people going a bit mad on the weekend but it was just like, the station was busier than normal, since then it's been dead. All I've been doing is making sure I keep the tank half full and driving at 50 instead of 60. Which to be honest I like doing anyway cos I can just sit behind a wagon and don't have to use my brain enough to overtake anything.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

The Question IRL posted:

I got a rice cooker for my birthday and it's aces.
I got the Yum Asia Fuji. It's like the Panda but it's got this really sleak design where it sort of looks like an old fashioned bamboo cooker but lights up really organically.

It's great for Rice and you can use it to make Porridge and bread. I tried the Porridge and preferred cooking it in pan, but it's nice to ha e the option.

Would recommend the Fuji. Just beware that the cooking bowl is ceramic so you have to make sure you don't drop it.

😮😮😮 I'd been skipping over this one because it looked like it was just, push button for normal rice. Read about properly now and looks like just what I'm after, just bought it!

I'm sure the gimmicky "LED under wood" display will pack it in after 5 years or so, but the tech is just what I'm after.

Wonder if it would still be usable with the physical buttons even if those lights go

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Is the Independent a satire site now?

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1443935968743116801

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

My "Lots of compassion and cares deeply about people" profile has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my profile.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We must have compassion and care deeply about the future of the right British.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mourning Due posted:

😮😮😮 I'd been skipping over this one because it looked like it was just, push button for normal rice. Read about properly now and looks like just what I'm after, just bought it!

I'm sure the gimmicky "LED under wood" display will pack it in after 5 years or so, but the tech is just what I'm after.

Wonder if it would still be usable with the physical buttons even if those lights go

Nice, I hope you enjoy it.

The different types of rice (Yummi and Gabba) are excellent, as long as you have the time in advance. (Gabba takes 140 minutes, but is super yummy for dinners.)

The big advantage with this rice cooker is how easy it is. (Measure how much rice you want, wash it, put it in bowl, put in water, hit setting, close lid.)

As for your question about if it would still be usable, the warranty covers the lights if they go. And after a few weeks of using it, you'll know exactly what setting you are pressing without having to see it.

Enjoy!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

We must have compassion and care deeply about the future of the British right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Honestly I was all about the rice in the Instant pot but now that we've mastered rice in a deep saucepan fryingpan it comes out perfect every time and is even easier than using a dedicated device. The washing is the main key no matter what way you go

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 2, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd like a rice cooker but 200 quid seems a bit steep

*makes coffee out of wanky espresso machine*

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lasses have always struggled with money to be fair.

Hey uhh this joke seems kindof lovely.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

You've discovered the secret to njans posting

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm in Manchester, but thanks for supporting my continuing bias that London is hell on earth.

Gotta agree that as this breakfast just cost me £13 in Spitalfields market.

Hmph.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1444235729580797955

I feel we're about 3 months away from Big John just decking Starmer.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Give John McDonnell a katana

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Mourning Due posted:

I've been after a rice cooker for some time and thought it would be straightforward, but there's so many. Any recommendations? I wanted to go big with a Zojirushi, but the models available in the UK are apparently old tech, and don't fancy paying £300 for an outdated model. Looking at the Yum Asia Panda, anyone used it? Any others you like?

I got a Yum Asia Bamboo and I’m very happy with it. Apparently all the top line Zojirushi ones aren’t available in the UK/EU due to the technology not being approved or something like that, but the Bamboo is the first one with induction heating that is. I don’t know how true all that is, but the end result for me was that there’s no point trying to find a top Zojirushi and I’ve now been using the Bamboo a ton.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1444235729580797955

I feel we're about 3 months away from Big John just decking Starmertweeting gravely.

LOL, "you attack Ed at your own peril" should be thread title

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Private Speech posted:

Hey uhh this joke seems kindof lovely.

Yeah its a crap sexist joke deployed in a subtle and particular context so as to draw attention to that. But i can't remember what the context was.

Overminty posted:

You've discovered the secret to njans posting

theres no secrets with me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ed Peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

On rice cookers, not for everyone but, my wife is diabetic and we were in the market for a new one and we stumbled across this one.
We thought "That can't possibly be true"
Having been around the hills for years trying endless low carb alternatives that are all just poo poo, frankly but... loving hell, it works!

It basically drains the water out into a separate container after a bit of cooking, then steams the rice the rest of the way. Since the starch doesn't reabsorb into the rice, it ends up being about 1/3 less carbs, which is huge! Less carbs = less insulin needed = less weight gain. Woop.

Needs a bit of tinkering with amounts of water to get non mushy rice but I honestly can't tell the difference one we nailed it and can now share a bowl of fried rice with the lady instead of having to watch her sadly poke at a bowl of shirataki or riced cabbage, which is ace!

(note: riced cabbage is loving awesome if you cook it like okonomiyaki, try it!)

E: catte hot tub tax

Holy poo poo. I was sceptical that it could reduce carbs but that actually makes sense. My son is diabetic and coeliac so we eat a lot of rice. I will look into this.

I love the picture they chose. It’s a delightful contrast to what she’s saying.

Imperial units are illogical. Metric forever!