Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s really funny. I laughed a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't seen this yet. Is it funny or is it heavy on the drama? Sopranos was always a comedy to me first and foremost so I'll be sad if this doesn't make me laugh a lot!

I'd say it's a crime drama above all but there are moments of levity, far more so if you're familiar with the show. It's not a comedy though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Movie bad, kinda ruins the show by association.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A successor work can never ruin a previous one. Just ignore it if it bothers you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Movie bad, kinda ruins the show by association.

Hard to see how this is possible. Does Tony get his mobster powers from a meteorite or something?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is the movie really not streaming on any legit service in Canada?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That actually sounds funny while the movie is more bland bad

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Regarding the lack of law enforcement keeping up with that pygmy thing in Jersey.

Firstly, artistic license, there's no way those details in those murders. I agree with the effort post. The in-universe explanation of the law's shift in priorities from mafia to terrorism fits perfectly too, and is wholly believable.

But I think in the show, the law was experiencing its own type of slow collapse, same as the mafia, and same as pretty much every American institution then and since. Every thing is framed as so fully poked with holes, it's a wonder anything ever stays afloat. I think the show pairs so well with The Wire because the latter highlights the slow collapse over and over--"Do more with less" and "Juking the stats" and "The whole world shines poo poo and calls it gold" Multiple times in the Wire, the Baltimore major crimes consult with federal agents but are denied resources after some internal review.

The series' best detective says "You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the gently caress it's gonna take you."
But the decision makers repeatedly demand the police follow drugs and not money, regardless of how many giant flashing red arrow signs are pointing at money.

Anyway, I watched Many Saints this morning and I liked it more than I thought I would. Seems a lot of people are having a Made in America cut to black response, they wanted something more and something different and are kicking and screaming because the movie isn't a perfect ideal. I'm satisfied and am excited to watch it again in a few days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just got back from watching the movie.

It was fine. I'd give a B. I think the movie's biggest problem is that it wanted to have its cake and eat it too. It should have been way more focused on Dickie and Howard's stories. Instead they wanted that AND they wanted a baby Sopranos story. The movie starts out strong with Dickie and Howard's stories running parallel and intertwining at points but Howard's story kinda ends with a wet fart at the end, without the same resolution of Dickie's.

Young Tony and all his friends being the movie definitely made it feel overstuffed. With all of them in the movie, I really have to wonder if they're trying to 'backdoor pilot' something more with these actors.

That said, everyone was really good in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great article from Sepinwall: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/many-saints-newark-recap-spoilers-1232129/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I enjoyed it. I can see why others might not but the cast was great. Gandolfini’s kid loving nailed it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

We should keep in mind that Chase wants to make a "Tony Soprano in his 20's" movie too with Terence Winter, who is super into it.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo that was awful. Some of the individual performances were good but the story was sloppy and boring. Massive disappointment from someone who has watched the show many times through. Where was the loving comedy?

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 2, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I suppose all goons ought to keep in mind that there are many on this website that are deathly afraid of the reprisal they would face should they express a positive opinion about something new

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine not thinking there’s any comedy in this consistently extremely funny movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

codo27 posted:

I suppose all goons ought to keep in mind that there are many on this website that are deathly afraid of the reprisal they would face should they express a positive opinion about something new

Reprisal?

Why would children watch a sopranos movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like if our like something just say it it’s all opinions, don’t pretend there is some silent majority that agree with you to scared to speak up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can we do the same thing we did when discussing the finale and not turn this into a bunch of insults and generalizations? It's been a great thread for years now and I'd rather not have it turn into the same old bullshit of "You disagree with me so you're a loving idiot"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On that note it would be nice to get some elaboration instead of drive-by stuff about how it sucks or it's awesome. It doesn't do much for discussion to just blast your immediate opinion at the thread in five words or less.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

On that note it would be nice to get some elaboration instead of drive-by stuff about how it sucks or it's awesome. It doesn't do much for discussion to just blast your immediate opinion at the thread in five words or less.

Yeah, this is my biggest issue. The first post about the movie after it came out was a drive-by “lol this sucks” shitpost

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it’s perfectly fine to say you think something is good or bad. Your opinion doesn’t have to drive discussion or whatever. If you want to discuss something that’s on you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just 10 minutes into it but the guy playing Sil is doing a horrible caricature

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
A hit is a hit, and this is not a hit.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I don't think the movie takes away from the show, I think it adds a bit, but it's not a fantastic movie by any stretch.

Mid credits scene makes me think Chase is going to follow up.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
So it was David Chase that was Ecrole DiMeo?

It wasn't a waste of time to see, but it wasn't great. This would have benefited from a longer format like a limited run season on HBO. The Newark riots framing were apropos for our current world, but this like so many other things needed more time to flesh out. Someone said it was like a clip show and that was the best assessment I've seen so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Just 10 minutes into it but the guy playing Sil is doing a horrible caricature

You’re right. But so was van Zandt, tbh. Still this dude was more distracting with it

TheBuilder posted:

So it was David Chase that was Ecrole DiMeo?

Yes!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Also was the actor playing the school counselor the same as the doctor leading Uncle Junior's cancer board? That was the only performer on screen I saw in both.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

congratulations

Very disappointed there is zero reaction from Tony to this. He's laughing with Johnny after that! He should be devastated

night slime
May 14, 2014

TheBuilder posted:

Also was the actor playing the school counselor the same as the doctor leading Uncle Junior's cancer board? That was the only performer on screen I saw in both.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0051104/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20 Wasn't credited with anything in Sopranos, but dunno.

The Silvio voice was pretty annoying. He was the lead in David Chase's previous movie so I guess that's how he landed it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i didn't like it much because the new characters were underwritten and the ones we know only had depth because of the dozens of episodes we've already spent with them, the references to show moments felt very "hey, remember????" the female characters were two-dimensional, either harridan shrews or whores, and every plot point is rushed to keep the runtime at two hours.

this clearly should have been a miniseries, because nothing feels earned and everything would have been better with more time to marinate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Less than the sum of its parts, I think. Michael Gandolfini and Vera Farmiga were great. The Dickie and Harold stuff though, meh.

It was like someone wrapped a Sopranos episode in a B- mobster movie. It's very overstuffed too.

I wouldn't have thought it before I watched it, but I'd definitely want to see a "Tony Soprano in his 20s" movie if they're gonna make one with the same cast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good if you're a Soprano's fan, I'm betting totally incoherent if you aren't. I'll echo what others are saying, the story would've worked a lot better as a limited series. The whole thing feels like three films, One for Dickie, Tony, and Harold all mashed together with some rather cheap Sopranos callbacks. The Acting by Micheal was totally spot on, I bought him as Tony, Stoll as Junior was also great, and the Actress who played Livia. The people Playing Sil and Paulie were much weaker, you can tell who they are at a glance, but they leaned into their Ticks far too hard.

Story Wise I thought casting Liotta as two people was stupid as gently caress on first glance. On reflection though it works pretty well, Dickie desperately trying to justify and make up for his continued awful actions, and his Uncle clearly knowing drat well everything hes done and trying to get him to realize what he's done and what he's doing to his nephew, I think it works.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought it was a solid 7/10 but I did really like the confirmation that Livia wasn't always the complete black hole of negativity we see in the show, the bit where she almost cries at a good memory Tony has of her is pretty solid

Also the funniest joke was the confirmation that Silvio's hair is a piece, in-universe as well as out of universe

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, this is my biggest issue. The first post about the movie after it came out was a drive-by “lol this sucks” shitpost

I'm not writing a multi paragraph review at 4am gently caress off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm not writing a multi paragraph review at 4am gently caress off.

It's exactly this kind of behavior that got you banned from Starbucks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I never thought banned had the makings of a varsity reviewer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I need to watch it again, but a few questions maybe you all might have answers for:

-Did any actors aside from Michael Imperioli reprise their roles?

-Towards the end when Tony gets in that tussle at the phone booth, who was he fighting with?

-At the end who pulled the trigger? Harold or someone else, possibly the cop who according to Tony, did whack Dickie.. The screen was kinda dark at the theater I was at so I couldn't quite make it out, if we were supposed to.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So anyway yeah
This movie was a mess. Sil is an ageless vampire caricature. Johnny boy is pretty nonexistent. Every other character is just kinda...there. Vera Farmiga is on ok Livia who half the time seems to be doing more of a Carmella impression, but ok Tony getting with someone like his mother isn't new. Not sure what Chase intended with the Newark riots part because it was barely a backdrop. Same with Dickies relationship with Harold I guess to just throw off the Junior thing? The references were so many and distracting it took me out of the movie. I kept trying to think where in the series each of the 20ish call backs were from and if they were important or not (especially the names). 2 hours and Dickie has like 4 scenes with Tony. We're supposed to question if the prison visits are real or imaginary but...why? Theres nothing there that changes anything if it was all made up. This thing really needed more of the actual Sopranos writers in there to polish this up. Its Things That Kinda Happen: The Movie.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 2, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

he was fighting Jackie I believe.

I don't think we're supposed to know who the button man was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose Oquendo posted:

I need to watch it again, but a few questions maybe you all might have answers for:

-Did any actors aside from Michael Imperioli reprise their roles?

-Towards the end when Tony gets in that tussle at the phone booth, who was he fighting with?

-At the end who pulled the trigger? Harold or someone else, possibly the cop who according to Tony, did whack Dickie.. The screen was kinda dark at the theater I was at so I couldn't quite make it out, if we were supposed to.

no

jackie aprile

not harold, the killer was clearly white. but even on my hd copy the face was deliberately obscured. could be barry haydu, or someone who became barry haydu through the mob telephone game the same way junior became jilly ruffalo.

one of the many odd turns this movie took was to have frank lucas show up for one scene. odd to see a world populated almost entirely by fictional characters have a real historical figure appear, especially when his appearance adds nothing to the story. the gun lucas gives harold wasn't even used, if i remember correctly. harold's whole arc had a lot of wasted potential.