Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

That's the beauty of it - they could totally do both! Big tune on the Ecoboost, AWD, then 2 suspension packages: up + A/Ts for the Raptor, down and "performance" tires for an ST. Big brake kits for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit : Also gently caress touch screen but the Tesla dash looks like will become industry standard if BMW are following it :/

I would say a vehicle with an idrive control is a very different thing to a Tesla style all touchscreen interface.

idrive is actually easy to use while driving.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

An EV with no frunk? Why on earth would BMW be so stupid...... just re-inforces my deep set hate of anything with a BMW badge

Plenty of EVs have no frunk, I don't get the expectation.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I really wish Rivian had pushed their cab further forward so they could add at least a foot more to the bed of their pickup. Why waste all that space to have an 11cf frunk and then a 4 and a half foot bed on a EV pickup?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Kunabomber posted:

I want a truck for my landscaping and woodworking (I would no longer need to get 8 feet sheets of wood cut down to fit in my car), but my driveway is a 90 degree turn into my garage so a full size truck would stick out.

I'm having a tough time following the mantra because a loaded new Maverick is less $$ over the used Rangers/Tacos/Colorados I've been scoping out. I think I just might get a goddamn Maverick and deal with any first year issues :shepface:

I have a 93 Toyota pickup with a six foot bed and it sucks for transporting sheet goods. I mainly move 5' x 5' sheets of baltic birch plywood and it is extra crappy for that particular job. Keeping the truck anyway.

The six foot bed of my actually compact pickup can just barely hold a cubic yard of landscaping mulch. The Maverick is probably wider and the bed is probably deeper, but I suspect the bed capacity is still a little shy of a full cubic yard.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 1, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I have a 93 Toyota pickup with a six foot bed and it sucks for transporting sheet goods. I mainly move 5' x 5' sheets of baltic birch plywood and it is extra crappy for that particular job. Keeping the truck anyway.

The six foot bed of my actually compact pickup can just barely hold a cubic yard of landscaping mulch. The Maverick is probably wider and the bed is probably deeper, but I suspect the bed capacity is still a little shy of a full cubic yard.

The maverick has slots for 2x4s and the tailgate locks at the same height to carry longer sheet stuff.

The Google says the bed is 33 cubic feet. A cubic yard is 27.

It seems to be a really well thought out vehicle but I wouldn’t even look at it until there is a hybrid AWD.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fame Douglas posted:

When you have a yawning huge bonnet there is no way there isnt a lot of room under there, so yes you should expect a frunk in a car like that.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Because frunks are useful and cool and good. I accept that I can't have one in a front-engine gas car, but rear/mid/electric cars, gimme a frunk, drat it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I live where you can buy things like this:

And I have literally never seen one. Ever. I bet the dealers don't even stock them.

With a tray, slightly more common, especially for farmers in 4x4 spec.

Tradies are more likely to have a Ranger with a service body if they work for a big company or buy one ex-fleet, or just have a van instead.

Tradies here don't tend to haul much anyway, poo poo gets delivered by suppliers. Your vehicle is your mobile tool carrier, and maybe small amounts of materials every now and then. A few sheets/lengths will fit on a roofrack.

I think the reasoning is if you're going to buy a ute, why have one without 4x4 and without room for the family, what a useless waste of a vehicle. So everyone just buys double cab 4x4's.

So I'm gunna lean towards the manufacturers who no doubt have plenty of data saying there's no market for compact single cab longbeds because they're probably right, even if I do prefer the look of them, for most people the utility value is way worse.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

PBCrunch posted:

That's fine - it's all personal work, not for others.

Nothing will beat the 8 foot bed F150 we had on a jobsite - we took those to get lumber because our safety manager had a hair up his rear end about overhanging material. As others have said, the maverick has a specific tailgate height that lets it sit at an angle so you could slide in sheets of plywood parallel to the bed and strap down.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I live where you can buy things like this:

It's incredibly dumb that the suspension on most of the 2wd models is pumped up to 4wd ride heights anyway but I guess that is what sells

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

It's incredibly dumb that the suspension on most of the 2wd models is pumped up to 4wd ride heights anyway but I guess that is what sells

For a while Toyota's pitch was literally "Want the tough 4x4 look but don't need 4x4? Come on down!"

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So why aren't there any FWD pickups? I think a FWD pickup would be better offroad than a RWD pickup.

Is it towing? Does towing care which wheels are driven?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ryanrs posted:

So why aren't there any FWD pickups? I think a FWD pickup would be better offroad than a RWD pickup.

Pickups carry loads over their rear axle when they're actually being used as designed, and towing puts load behind the rear axle. With much tongue weight, you really want the rear wheels driven.

There's a reason Ford is requiring AWD to get the tow package on the Maverick.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh, the Maverick is FWD? I hadn't caught that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ryanrs posted:

There is no vehicle dynamics advantage to FWD, they can be better in snow just due to the extra weight directly over the drive wheels but you can achieve the same effect by weighting the trunk/bed of a RWD vehicle, which is also not necessary having spent most of my life in northern Canada. Also during that time I found that while FWD can be advantageous if you’re in deep snow it’s way scarier than RWD when it’s super icy since you’re relying on the front wheels for both steering and power and have less control over the vehicle’s attitude.

As the poster above me articulated FWD would be terrible for ‘real’ trucks as once they’re loaded you have significantly decreased pressure on the front drive wheels while still relying on them for putting down power and steering.

There are absolutely massive benefits to FWD drivetrains but they’re all cost, production, and packaging benefits; for example a FWD doesn’t have a driveshaft tunnel down the middle and can have a flat interior floor. As far as actual vehicle performance and handling benefits it’s all marketing bullshit and FWD is the worst drivetrain layout from a driving dynamics standpoint.

Modern cars are also so good that it doesn’t matter unless you’re an edge case.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

BuckyDoneGun posted:

With a tray, slightly more common, especially for farmers in 4x4 spec.

I was formerly a farmer and this is all I ever really wanted on a truck. The US Ranger has a chassis cab variant but only RWD. Getting a ute tray is a big ask apparently.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dissss posted:

That's the Taliban option pack

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Seems to be working out for them, I guess.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Luckily due to the miracle of global shipping dumping used vehicles from north america onto developing markets the taliban and pals now have ready access to much larger american trucks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

Luckily due to the miracle of global shipping dumping used vehicles from north america onto developing markets the taliban and pals now have ready access to much larger american trucks

They overwhelming covet the Hilux and Land Cruiser. Scrubs have F series technicals

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

you’re telling me a ford on the other side of the planet where there’s no parts availability isn’t as coveted as a toyota for which there’s parts around everywhere? nonsense!

wanna see some powerstrokes pulling field artillery

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

you’re telling me a ford on the other side of the planet where there’s no parts availability isn’t as coveted as a toyota for which there’s parts around everywhere? nonsense!

wanna see some powerstrokes pulling field artillery

I mean that a Ford will not last even if parts availability was 1:1 vs the Toyota. It's about how they are built.

The Toyota War is a thing for a reason :colbert:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Goodbye eardrums

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I mean that a Ford will not last even if parts availability was 1:1 vs the Toyota. It's about how they are built.

The Toyota War is a thing for a reason :colbert:

while the bits and pieces are as poo poo as on every american vehicle, american heavy duty trucks are a lot more durable than toyota fans like to think and get absolutely brutalized in construction site and oil fields; the hilux has more in common build-wise with an F-250 than with something similar size in the american market like a ranger or tacoma

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Goodbye eardrums

nah its cool they give em new ones in the afterlife for being good little martyrs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

knox_harrington posted:

Goodbye eardrums
The muzzle's outside the car, it's not so bad for hearing

also wearing electronic hearing protection is a must anyways if you're going to perform a drive-by duhhhhh!!!!!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ryanrs posted:

Honda and Hyundai sell FWD based pick ups.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Sell" is a strong word

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Well. I was expecting something a bit tidier in size. Maybe first-gen TSX proportions? This just looks a bit too long and heavy for me to go "ah yeah, that's definitely an Integra."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

A new Integra will never be what the old one was, cars like that simply can’t be built and sold at scale these days.

Just hope that it’s good for a modern car, which if it’s based on the new Civic and has a manual it will be.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Only thing that tops an M2 browning in a tahoe is a minigun in a tahoe

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0eJ0xB7LU&t=104s

And I'm finished.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

Only thing that tops an M2 browning in a tahoe is a minigun in a tahoe

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0eJ0xB7LU&t=104s

And I'm finished.

Where is this legal? Texas?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The video mentions it is not legal to purchase in the USA (not sure if their voiceover is accurate as laws change over time), but it was also mentioned the manufacturer is in Scottsdale, AZ.

Looks like they are still around:

https://dillonaero.com/our-products/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Dillon is well known for their top grade reloading gear.

And that looks like fun.

The minigun is too new to be transferable in the US, though. Oh well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My hot take is that if you can afford one of those and you have a legitimate need for that much security, the world would probably be better off without you in it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Their target demo is the Secret Service and similar foreign organizations

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Just proving him right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Their target demo is the Secret Service and similar foreign organizations

If the Secret Service pulls out a minigun and fires into a crowd of people to protect the president, I can't help but feel that would poll very poorly.