Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, that and Desiree's stardust onesie are pretty great clothing, but I get where Pablo's coming from, you could wear them in day-to-day life. Desiree's clothing was also the key back when the TM sleuths figured out the S12 line-up a few months back: she tweeted a photo thanking her outfitter for sorting out ten outfits in a short time. One eagle-eyed viewer clocked that might correspond to the studio shoots, and also noticed the background matched the green room section of the studio TM is shot in. Following the thread, they checked which comics Desiree had recently followed on Instagram, and deduced four of the five from the line-up correctly.

It's certainly the time of the year for Taskmaster - the two best foreign-language series also have new seasons starting this week. Stormester starts this weekend, and Kongen Befalen started on Thursday. The latter seems to be doing even more original tasks than in earlier series - the live task was Sausage or Finger, but all the others were somewhat new:

- Prize: The thing that deserves more respect than than it currently receives
- Get a hat on Olli's head from the furthest distance
- Eat or drink one of these five delicacies. The one who consumes what the fewest of the others have chosen, wins. You have to eat or drink the whole thing you choose.
A la carte: a raw potato, a chili pepper, a Dumle [chocolate toffee], a full bottle of wine, cat food
- Perform magic for Atle.The magic trick is over when you say 'hepp'

The middle task has that UK TM S4/5 game theory flavour, and it's a great prize category as well.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope Alex is making mad bank off the Taskmaster brand becoming a global thing and it's not just some suits at Avalon raking it in.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
One if the great things about the nz version is that Paul Williams isn't just doing the assistant thing as a role, he is one of the two people who come up with the tasks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stev posted:

I really hope Alex is making mad bank off the Taskmaster brand becoming a global thing and it's not just some suits at Avalon raking it in.

Was trying to look this up, and shiiiiiiiit I didn't know he was married to a NI news reader.
Sort of fancied her too when she was on the local NI news.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

stev posted:

Alan's obscure Simpsons hoodie got a big reaction from me.

Oh that's great. Alan's a cozy presence on the show so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NH6TGZTcc

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Serious Taskmaster overload - on top of original TM, there have been two episodes of Stormester to catch up on, and this season the episodes are 65 minutes long. Stormester tends to use UK tasks for the most part, so watching it as a UK fan means it's more like revisiting some classics with a new line-up But this season they've had four tasks that are new/heavily modified to feel completely different:

- Receive a picture of the Taskmaster on this fax machine. Fastest wins. Bonus point for the best picture
- [setup: pyramid of filled champagne glasses, with notes from various currencies trapped under them] Remove the money and place it in Mark's inner pocket. You may not touch the glasses. You have ten minutes, or until you spill the first drop. Highest total kroner value collected in Mark's pocket when time ends wins.
- Create a film that will give the Taskmaster food for thought
- Teach this eight-year-old something remarkable. You have 20 minutes for your lesson, then the child has one minute to demonstrate what they have learnt. Most remarkable thing imparted wins.

The middle task is worth clarifying - once you get the note in Mark's pocket you've banked them - you don't get disqualified if you then spill the champaign. You just can't continue after the first spillage. Also it's not obvious which notes are more valuable than other because of the different currencies and exchange rates. UK series 6 had a task that employed the same basic mechanism - but it turned out to be a bit easy. I wonder if this refined version is more like what Alex would do differently if he had another go. Now I think about it, possibly this version of the task was in Kongen Befaler - harder to go back and check that now...

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Dave has released the first episode of their "taskmaster with the serial numbers filed off" series, Outsiders. It was OK, but the pallor of trying and failing to be the new Taskmaster hung over everything. The biggest missing ingredient for me was panic.

Undead Hippo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 30, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The NZ ones have vanished from YouTube :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The NZ ones have vanished from YouTube :(

DMCA strikes happen. It might be back

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Desiree's 'Oatmeal & Death' destroyed me.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Desiree's 'Oatmeal & Death' destroyed me.

It's a great title.

Watching Taskmaster back to back with Outsiders, it's pretty night and day. Outsiders seems flat and cursory, hard to imagine it having longevity. Another good outing for the series 12 cast; it's the most obvious pairings for the team tasks, hoping to see Alan and Victoria really pull their fingers out next time. Scoring update: It's really close after two episodes: from left to right 31, 32, 34, 34, 25. Victoria doing poorly in the live tasks puts her a bit behind the pack.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I think that's the closest the show has come to making me sick. :barf:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The 'food' tasting task wasn't particularly original, but the cast managed to elevate it to the highlight of the episode for me.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The podcast has Paul Williams this week.

E: Finished the episode. That mess needed to be punished more :colbert:

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 1, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Well spotted, it is a 10th Doctor under the sculpt - good facial resemblance, wearing a suit that's buttoned up high.

The costume needs a bit of tweaking, have to get rid of the tie, bring the shirt collar out, and change it into a double-breasted jacket. Also the hair needs to be a bit messier to really resemble James. Those changes were all done with modelling putty, here's a blurry scan of how it looked at that stage:

Then it was just a case of repainting everything into the correct colours

I would share it over twitter with Alex, but it just seems a bit much to register an account specifically to do that...

This is really cool, I love custom toys with believable packing to match! What is the reason some of these photos are really hazy, like they're in a space with lots of fog or grey milk?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What a brilliant ending to that food task :allears:

Also pretty clever solution from Morgana. Kinda expected a bonus point from Greg just for making Alex eat that stuff.

Paladinus posted:

The 'food' tasting task wasn't particularly original, but the cast managed to elevate it to the highlight of the episode for me.

Basically

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

itry posted:

Also pretty clever solution from Morgana. Kinda expected a bonus point from Greg just for making Alex eat that stuff.

I think he absolutely would have if he hadn't given her a style point last episode. This one would have been way more deserving, based solely on Alex's face.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Khanstant posted:

This is really cool, I love custom toys with believable packing to match! What is the reason some of these photos are really hazy, like they're in a space with lots of fog or grey milk?

Because I didn't have a camera available so I had to substitute my scanner. I have another one on the go right now, will have to find a way to share that when it's complete...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really glad I decided to watch this after breakfast instead of during, jesus christ

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Nutella and Nachos sounds amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Nutella and Nachos sounds amazing.

I've been trying to find Ferrero Roche in the local shops today.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're so close to nachos conceptually you ought to get points for saying cornflakes.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

One thing I never see mentioned much but I greatly enjoy is Greg's use of the ad links for increasingly weird jokes across the series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lemon posted:

One thing I never see mentioned much but I greatly enjoy is Greg's use of the ad links for increasingly weird jokes across the series.

I like it when he takes a swipe at the concept of advertising and capitalism.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Alex's ad break sequences were particularly unnerving this episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hadn't pegged Victoria Mitchel as the secret serial killer for this series, but you just never know. The two nonplussed people on the same team will be interesting though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When Alan came out I thought "oh please let them have paired him with the correct person" and then Victoria was there and I thought "yessss", I know it's also down to schedules but still.

They're editing the ad breaks out of the youtube uploads. As in obviously they don't have the TV ads but they also don't have the studio or filmed intros and outros. In a way that's good, in another way I feel like I'm missing out.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

this season is really good

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Has anyone suggested a world taskmaster championship before? Get 5 of the champions from around the world for a one-off special?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I lost my poo poo when Morgana basically aggressively ejaculated green paint all over the ball, good lord

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

thehustler posted:

Has anyone suggested a world taskmaster championship before? Get 5 of the champions from around the world for a one-off special?

I think after this CoC for the UK show, you’ll have two British comedians, potentially the NZ champion and two foreign language imports to bring across from something like the Belgian one? I know they’ve just granted rights for a Portuguese version.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I think after this CoC for the UK show, you’ll have two British comedians, potentially the NZ champion and two foreign language imports to bring across from something like the Belgian one? I know they’ve just granted rights for a Portuguese version.

The NZ champions are far too powerful.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

thehustler posted:

In this week's podcast Paul Williams suggested they should have a NZ CoC with their first 4 champions plus Ed Gamble, but that was largely a vehicle for getting the New Zealanders to laugh at Ed's pronunciation of "shed".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

David Mitchell was on this week's RHLSTP and confirmed he's never going to do Taskmaster, basically because he'd be too poo poo at it and wouldn't enjoy being poo poo. Which is a drat shame.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I kinda agree with him that it wouldn’t be great. His regular persona relies pretty heavily on “In the end, I’m the sane one in this insane world.” And Taskmaster is the direct antithesis to that.

But I definitely would have watched it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The norwegian version of Taskmaster isn't afraid to go to dark places. The contestants was asked to bring something that blue, heavy and could fit in a shoe box. One contestant brought a pack of condoms that she bought in december last year and was still unopened.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I could see Robert Webb doing it though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Richard Ayoade or bust

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

I could see Robert Webb doing it though.

I know it's impossible to not have any bigoted knobheads at all on the show (see Baddiel) but it'd be nice if they could keep it to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Alhazred posted:

The norwegian version of Taskmaster isn't afraid to go to dark places. The contestants was asked to bring something that blue, heavy and could fit in a shoe box. One contestant brought a pack of condoms that she bought in december last year and was still unopened.
The NZ has had contestants getting naked more than once wheres I'm sure I recall a UK contestant commenting that during their filming they were warned against it (as in workplace rules protecting production staff). UK NZ has only sailed close to nudity; such as the careful stage management of Little Alex Horne sitting in the cake.