Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Seeing this page, I am much, much less confident that Operant is setting up that David might be about to give up his power. This is not how a man who has been humbled is depicted.

I disagree. This is an absolute textbook setup to a lavish artistic rendition of The Wise Patriarch Bestows His Legacy to the Next Generation. White Chain is even the sort of dweeb who'd go along with it in the spirit intended, head bowed and respectfully holding his hand as his life ebbs away and the surrounding mourners wail their lamentations to the heavens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

I have 100% woken up like this

I'm concerned what you're doing at night to wake up with your bed pillar all bloody.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Thing is we look at these scenes from the perspective of people who have lived their whole history with a bunch of fake rear end pretenders. Solomon was a brutal autocrat but he could actually back his poo poo up. He was a literal god. Or demigod at worst. His subjects saw with their own eyes that he could move two stars into the sky of Rayuba.

They lost their poo poo seeing him get a little tap on the cheek. Seeing him broken and humbled like this has to be just utterly devastating. It’s not just a ha ha dude got put in his place it’s an oh shot the world is legit ending and our one solid rock upon which our entire existence is anchored is shattered.

I’m curious how he’s going to write this next bit. The obvious easy out characters are spent and now there’s nuance to be had.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Am I looking at it wrong or is he ageing? Did he switch with Mottom?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

TK-42-1 posted:

Thing is we look at these scenes from the perspective of people who have lived their whole history with a bunch of fake rear end pretenders. Solomon was a brutal autocrat but he could actually back his poo poo up. He was a literal god. Or demigod at worst. His subjects saw with their own eyes that he could move two stars into the sky of Rayuba.

They lost their poo poo seeing him get a little tap on the cheek. Seeing him broken and humbled like this has to be just utterly devastating. It’s not just a ha ha dude got put in his place it’s an oh shot the world is legit ending and our one solid rock upon which our entire existence is anchored is shattered.

I’m curious how he’s going to write this next bit. The obvious easy out characters are spent and now there’s nuance to be had.

Yeah he was willing to grant a literal wish to a warrior who could draw a single drop of his blood, and it never happened.

Now he's bleeding out on a concrete slab, this must feel like seeing the Pentagon blown into a crater or something. If the force that runs everything is destroyed, what does that mean for me?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yo gods can bleed? what the fuuuuuuck

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know that's his knee but it really looks like a giant boner to me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I know that's his knee but it really looks like a giant boner to me.

Nah Mammon had Tower. :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Dave has always been depicted as being enormous, yeah.

I'll say

oh that's his knee.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Unsatisfied with the jaggahog, goons must sink to further deprevations about Dave's Salami

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Nah Mammon had Tower. :v:

But it's hard as [ Diamond ]

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

But it's hard as [ Diamond ]

And as we all know,
[Diamond] is not crash.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Dave's gonna sacrifice his power to resurrect a dead White Chain

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

maswastaken posted:

Am I looking at it wrong or is he ageing? Did he switch with Mottom?

It's the beard. It's been unleashed from it's kingly binding.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

shirts and skins posted:

this must feel like seeing the Pentagon blown into a crater or something. If the force that runs everything is destroyed, what does that mean for me?

Suggests there's a significant number of Rayubans in the background going :sickos:

The hammer is falling and it's about goddamned time

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 2, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jsoh posted:

yo gods can bleed? what the fuuuuuuck

Its not bloodm
Its victory wine

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
[Diamond] has clearly crash quite hard

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder if he remembers the last time he got his bell rung. Must be centuries.

since the start of the 7 part world. He hasn't had a real fight since becoming a demiurge

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Solomon David is fine, he's just covered in jam.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
that's what happens when you try to jam with the best

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Jam from all those PBJ's

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
"A man who holds fear in his heart will never be safe, no matter how strong he makes himself. No matter how iron he makes his defenses, if left untouched his fear will spring forth and devour him form the inside at a moment's notice." - Au Vam

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

NachtSieger posted:

Used his breathing techniques to raid a bakery while crashing down -- he's unharmed but very full with a slight tummyache

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Used his breathing techniques to raid a bakery while crashing down -- he's unharmed but very full with a slight tummyache

Well, obviously. Gotta carbo load

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I like that in the second to last panel he looks peaceful and almost happy, like he had his rear end kicked so now he doesn't have to be the great Emperor anymore. Then he starts to hear his subjects and it's like "gently caress, back to work".

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is more like seeing your father, and also God, and also the basis for your prosperous, wealthy imperial state lying almost-dead. From the perspective of people who live in his throne-world. Even if you don't like him, he's a pillar of your world; it would be like seeing (both) the sun start to die. Everything you knew is changing suddenly and by violence and there's a decent chance your loved ones were vaporized in the blast.

Nobody on Rayuba is going to be anything less than emotionally shell-shocked by this. That one world where there was a Peach Orchard Massacre whose last prince went to slay Solomon David would probably be happy for like three seconds, but this isn't just death - this is destruction at the hands of Jagganoth.

It's less 'the king is dead' and more 'Satan literally hurled God down from space and is stalking the ruins, crushing bodies with his bare hands.'

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have to assume* there's a Ki Rata technique to heal very quickly, so as long as Solomon David can breathe just right he'll be back in the fight in no time at all.

* This assumption is based on the belief that developing a Ki Rata technique to select only XY sperm when impregnating your concubines would be a lower priority than a Ki Rata technique of not dying.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Came on and slammed, he got into the jam.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Come get slammed, turned into jam.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TwoPair posted:

I'm concerned what you're doing at night to wake up with your bed pillar all bloody.

Mondays

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Vagabong posted:

Dave is a prick and all, but this page (and I imagine the next few) is pretty tough to see. There's something about someone failing so completely to live up to the expectations that they built for themselves that makes me itch.

Abaddon does a good job capturing Solomon’s anguish, I agree. That’s the kind of thing that can be easy to gently caress up (and look just angry or sad or dead or whatever), and I agree it’s hearing the voices of his people that sets him off. If Rayuba had been vaporized along with him, it would have been easier to bear than this. Succession time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Abaddon does a good job capturing Solomon’s anguish, I agree. That’s the kind of thing that can be easy to gently caress up (and look just angry or sad or dead or whatever), and I agree it’s hearing the voices of his people that sets him off. If Rayuba had been vaporized along with him, it would have been easier to bear than this. Succession time.

i really love Solomon David as an antagonist. hes an absolute loving monster, just the most Lawful Evil scumbag to ever walk creation, but his evil is this terrified, possessive, "no one will ever take this away from me again" kind of thing. if jagg was traumatized into wanting to destroy creation, dave was traumatized into wanting to seal it under glass forever. and now its all happening again, and i cant help but feel for the guy.

what a great comic.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Watching the Stranger of Paradise trailers and I'm wondering how different the tone would be if Jagg had intense dumbass energy instead of being a huge nerd. Just a bunch of people trying to explain to him you can't punch a timeloop to death to no avail.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Bearer of the Word "HIMBO"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Algid posted:

Watching the Stranger of Paradise trailers and I'm wondering how different the tone would be if Jagg had intense dumbass energy instead of being a huge nerd. Just a bunch of people trying to explain to him you can't punch a timeloop to death to no avail.

Yelling "bullshit" and then storming off while blasting nu metal out of your iphone - this is royalty.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Algid posted:

I feel like Jagganoth's got that dumbass smartass thing down. He's smart enough to have his theory, smart enough to defend it, but not smart enough to understand that his detractors have valid points. No, he's SuperChakravartin Skinner Chalmers and it is clearly the kids who have nary a mote of understanding.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 3, 2021

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Survived ludicrous amounts of violence that killed every one of his peers.

Is stuffed full of angel feathers.

Knew/is-assembling the 7 part name of god.

Maybe the closed time loop is someone being sent back in time to become Metatron each time?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Algid posted:

Survived ludicrous amounts of violence that killed every one of his peers.

Is stuffed full of angel feathers.

Knew/is-assembling the 7 part name of god.

Maybe the closed time loop is someone being sent back in time to become Metatron each time?

You know, they do have the same injured eye...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They're also about the same size now