Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
But Pyro coming next year!

https://i.imgur.com/f7YA28S.mp4

Are we content gorillas?

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Bootcha posted:

Caught-up-with-the-thread.gif

Hey guys, still around. Growing more and more bored of Star Citizen as the days go by.
Game development life support. We are watching slowly withering fetus of a game that is barely kept alive only thanks to daily sacrifices of thousands of whales. One day the funding tracker will flatline, but we will probably see landing on Mars or new Moon station before that happens.

https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1441111394846326791
Imagine still supporting this game that had its most fun moment in years when there was a contest between spaceship jpgs with some internet drama... outside the game.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Yeah, but Gio is probably an alien reptile wearing a human skin. He makes my skin crawl and his comprehension of fun is out of this world.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Best game time in years: a vote on a webpage.

Uh huh.

Wow.

Ok.

Y'all keep doing what you do I guess. :cheerdoge:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think it's pretty cool that CIG has no interest in content

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bootcha posted:

The real story of SCG chapter 8 is really the lack of tech development on the part of CIG, and the comparative expected tech development of the companies that developed the software CIG past and present has claimed to use.

This is a great topic, people need to know:
Illfonic made Stra marine
Firesprite are making fear turds of war
Turbulent are making star citizen
Faceware is a plugin
Cyengine is off the shelf
I know there are more, but shining a light on how CG¬G are doing gently caress all is something I would watch for sure

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DownrightAdmiredGuanaco-mobile.mp4

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bootcha posted:

Tiger King is getting a second loving season.

If Netflix or Hulu or HBO offer to buy Sunk Cost Galaxy and make it a series, you take it! I love watching those miniseries on trainwrecks like Lularoe, Theranos, Fyre Festival and the like. Maybe we can get a Chernobyl like dramatization of the disaster?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hey bootcha, you can team up with slope from slope's game room and do a kickscammers tribute. he said once he wants to cover starcitizen some day, but he doesnt seem to know very much about it. his kickscammer videos in general are very entertaining, star citizen would be the crowning achievement.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
taken from refunds sub

Jarred Accidently leaked his chat, Citizecon Pyro Walkthough

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Strangler 42 posted:

If Netflix or Hulu or HBO offer to buy Sunk Cost Galaxy and make it a series, you take it! I love watching those miniseries on trainwrecks like Lularoe, Theranos, Fyre Festival and the like. Maybe we can get a Chernobyl like dramatization of the disaster?

Who’s playing crowbear? My first thought is Travolta.

Edit: Maybe Paul Giamatti?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

There's a funny story about one of those companies that I really can't discuss but when I tried bringing it to them their response at turning SCG into a limited docuseries was: "You seem really, really intently focused on this...video game. Maybe even obsessed."

this was long before the covid "LETS MAKE WHATEVER, WE NEED FUCKIN CONTENT GUYS" rush, so things might be different if it was floated now

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Strangler 42 posted:

Maybe we can get a Chernobyl like dramatization of the disaster?

It would not be possible to make it like Chernobyl and maintain any semblance of believability.
Maybe if you do it like a modern reinterpretation of Yes, Minister.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Eating and drinking, as well as hygiene are a small fraction of the time sinks. No-one has to learn to dogfight, indeed no-one has to climb into a cockpit/ship at all. They could stay put on a planet, ride the train into town and drive around out in the wilds. Star Citizen is planned to be all things to all men. There are NPC passenger services or let other players do the driving. The possibilities are only limited by your own imagination.

I have spoken to people who, like me, have a whole fleet of ships and yet they intend to go bumming around the verse as soon as it becomes possible.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Strangler 42 posted:

Maybe we can get a Chernobyl like dramatization of the disaster?

30k? Not great, not terrible.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lobsterminator posted:

30k? Not great, not terrible.

:golfclap:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Bootcha posted:

Name your own timeline-defining oddity that you didn't expect to happen in your lifetime.

Prince died

Sean locke died

Star citizen failed to be born

Psychonauts 2 came out and was good

Game of thrones ended up sucking

Star citizen still failed to be born.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 1, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Doom Rooster posted:

Tom Arnold and it isn't even close.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

TheAgent posted:

There's a funny story about one of those companies that I really can't discuss but when I tried bringing it to them their response at turning SCG into a limited docuseries was: "You seem really, really intently focused on this...video game. Maybe even obsessed."

this was long before the covid "LETS MAKE WHATEVER, WE NEED FUCKIN CONTENT GUYS" rush, so things might be different if it was floated now

Thank you for this peek behind the curtain.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Time_pants posted:

Tom Arnold and it isn't even close.

I was going to ask if he can do the accent, but realized he mostly just has to do "drunk guy who says 'uh' a lot and waves his hands around" to get 90% of the way to a perfect impression.

The rest can be done by the toupee.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Apropos of nothing, but I was thinking about the 'pixel detail' hype of a while ago. Screens in Star Citizen are not just normal textures like other games, they are made of actual simulated pixels! Its the kind of stuff no other studio would bother with, its the kind of attention to detail only true pioneers have. It doesn't bring any true 'gameplay value' but its just next-level immersion. Yes I know, the usual haters here are going to whine how its not a real game and how this stuff has no bearing on the day-to-day experience, but it really is noteworthy and cool. For those who didn't see it yet:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i mean to be fair that is neat and a nice attention to detail, it's just, like, not what should be focused on when there's no functional game in your supposed bdsse

also i'm pretty sure other poo poo's done it too. isn't there some vr emulator game that literally emulates a room you're in and if you get close up to the crt tv the individual pixels are there too?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Also Half Life 2 had in-game televisions with live camera feeds in 2004

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It literally just looks like a pixel filter over a texture

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
It's not that other studios don't bother with it, it's that anyone can try it and see that it produces a horrible moiré pattern which anyone could tell you who's done 3d graphics in the last couple of decades. It's a detail that makes the result look less realistic than if you'd just skipped it.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
I hope no one shows him what Elite has been doing since Alpha in 2013.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Just caught up with the thread again, and I wanted to say thanks to all the posters and CIG for providing much levity in this never-ending year. Keep up the good work!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

So it's imersive that they have gravity goo and magic healing guns in the future but they still haven't figured out 8k monitors?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Didn't old EVE had space billboards with that effect

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
That image *is* from Elite, it was posted for the lols in the star citizen thread on fdev forums
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v12.548510/post-9537802

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I feel like Adam Sandler could do another Uncut Gems type performance and really nail it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Doom Rooster posted:

Dustin Hoffman in Rain man mode.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Unhealthy Narrative towards Development

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

ronmcd posted:

That image *is* from Elite, it was posted for the lols in the star citizen thread on fdev forums
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v12.548510/post-9537802

Holy poo poo it is, thats one of the starting spacesuits they added when Odyssey launched.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

Didn't old EVE had space billboards with that effect

the old eve billboards owned, they were just big double-sided CRTs floating in space lmfao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/tyomateee2/status/1443925074952654857

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Sometimes I like to get the perspective on things from neural network software.

https://neuralblender.com/

https://artflow.ai/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

skeletors_condom posted:

Unhealthy Narrative towards Development

Star Citizen: a rather unhealthy narrative towards development

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: a rather unhealthy narrative towards development

:gary::roflolmao::yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so i just fell asleep drunk, i dreamed that i am on a train and somehow i was responsible for the train to move.
i had to use my mental power (whats left of it) to accelerate the train.
i gave it all and the train was moving faster and faster,.
i heard myself shout: "are we in switzerland now???"
then i woke up (30k), but till then i had 60fps in 4k.