Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This whole derail is a pedants wet dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bigbriefbluster/status/1443973246018375682?s=21

Hey siri translate “train à grande vitesse” to English

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Observationally however you have no fish, and you have never had any fish, and there isn't any difference between having 5x0 fish, 1x0 fish, and just not having fish. Fishn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does the EU have something similar to the ADA? How does someone in a wheel chair use that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Does the EU have something similar to the ADA? How does someone in a wheel chair use that?

By not going up the stairs. Trains usually have a space near the end of the carriage that allows access for wheelchairs, cyclists, and pushchairs. Same as on a bus. On that train I would assume they have at least one flat carriage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CharlestheHammer posted:

This whole derail is a pedants wet dream

You mean a bedants wet dream.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I can't speak for the EU in particular but generally trains will have at least one specially constructed accessible carriage set up for wheelchair users. That includes a ramp to get on and off the train and construction inside the train car itself to make it accessible to the physically disabled.

A quick google turns up this page for a French railway saying much the same thing: https://www.sncf.com/en/passenger-offer/travel-for-everyone/accessibility/on-board-accessibility

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OwlFancier posted:

Observationally however you have no fish, and you have never had any fish, and there isn't any difference between having 5x0 fish, 1x0 fish, and just not having fish. Fishn't.
the difference between spending 5 hours getting 0 fish per hour is actually very noticeable from spending 1 hour getting 0 fish per hour
alternatively maybe you spent 2 hours getting no fish and then another 2 hours getting 2 fish per hour. 2 * 0 + 2 * 2.

mathematical 0 has existed for thousands of years, especially in economic contexts. ancient egyptians were using a symbol for 0 in accounting as early as 1770 BC. I mean of course it hasn't existed for literally all of human history in all contexts but it's been around for an extremely long time and is very evidently useful, especially once money(or even just complex bartering) exist so I don't really understand what your point is aside from pretending that multiplying by zero doesn't correlate to reality which is just demonstrably false

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
RE: math talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

the difference between spending 5 hours getting 0 fish per hour is actually very noticeable from spending 1 hour getting 0 fish per hour
alternatively maybe you spent 2 hours getting no fish and then another 2 hours getting 2 fish per hour. 2 * 0 + 2 * 2.

mathematical 0 has existed for thousands of years, especially in economic contexts. ancient egyptians were using a symbol for 0 in accounting as early as 1770 BC. I mean of course it hasn't existed for literally all of human history in all contexts but it's been around for an extremely long time and is very evidently useful, especially once money(or even just complex bartering) exist so I don't really understand what your point is aside from pretending that multiplying by zero doesn't correlate to reality which is just demonstrably false

My point is that ignoring the concept of multiplying by zero I think is quite understandable if you don't use maths in your life, because it doesn't really correlate to physical reality. There is no physical process that you can do to physical objects that correlates conceptually to "multiply by zero" (you can just smash stuff up or throw it away but that is more of a conceptual match to subtraction, I think)

As I said, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division by other positive, whole numbers are all physically representable, but multiplying by zero is entirely conceptual. So if you have never had cause to use maths since you were in school (as a lot of people do not) then it is a concept that is likely to atrophy and simply not register any more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's fair to say that's it's conceptual and more easily forgotten when out of practice than other common math stuff, but that's not the same as "does not correlate with any real phenomenon" when money is very much real

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

Math bad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An inaccuracy of phrasing that I will admit to as I was having trouble communicating the concept.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

As I said, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division by other positive, whole numbers are all physically representable, but multiplying by zero is entirely conceptual.
It's no more conceptual than any other multiplication. You can represent multiplying three by six by taking a group of three things and going "what if we had another five of these groups" and you can represent multiplying by zero the same way; you've got your group of three things, what if you had no groups?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Skwirl posted:

RE: math talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elueA2rofoo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Every single one of you nerds needs to get into the toilet stall stat for I will give you a swirlie you will never forget

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Just 5+0 wilted leaves of cabbage in my head

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

KozmoNaut posted:

Multiplication and division have equal priority, so you go from left to right.

The whole confusion stems from children being taught rote memorization of stupid "rules of thumb", instead of an actual understanding of math.

I think it's just that Americans are dumb as hell, and also constitute most of internet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm glad I bit. And I was right: both on the math and on Tiggum being Tiggum. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
99% of the "discussion" both on twitter and SA comes from people being utterly unable to accept that they got gotten by a gotcha and were Wrong. Surely it's just because math inherently makes no sense.

Plenty of goons showing their rear end because they forgot the "when in doubt, left to right" rule - which, incidentally, is both a clear instruction AND makes perfect intuitive sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goblin week posted:

I think it's just that Americans are dumb as hell, and also constitute most of internet

This thread has proven multiple times that, at least among the english speaking world, Americans are not particularly unique in their idiocy. Maybe whatever they use in China instead of twitter is entirely erudite discussions of important matters, but Aussies and Brits and Germans with a decent knowledge of English have all shown an equal ability at being loving stupid as Americans.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

goblin week posted:

Australians are at least as loving stupid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Calling americans stupid while you say "maths" smdh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But even if I know the correct, perfectly unambiguous rules, it seems quite likely that whoever wrote it may not. So the only appropriate action is to send the question back and ask for clarification.

I'm quite nonplussed about the whole situation.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That's the =0 part of X*0=0

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Calling americans stupid while you say "maths" smdh.

American universities don't have a mathematic department. Mathematics is a plural technically, North American English just drops the plural in the abbreviation.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Nope, it's just the Midwestern way of saying things, like ""He works at Ford's", or "You've got ranch stains on your pajamas".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ranch is passé, now it's mustard stains. Ya gotta be armed and ideally pointing your gun at people though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gbut posted:

Nope, it's just the Midwestern way of saying things, like ""He works at Ford's", or "You've got ranch stains on your pajamas".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVB4etZAlBU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

You put the mustard in the ranch, then dip the pizza in it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ranch is passé, now it's mustard stains. Ya gotta be armed and ideally pointing your gun at people though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

goblin week posted:

It's all anglos, actually.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Both PEMDAS and BEDMAS put division and multiplication on the same level, and then you go from left to right.

So it should be PE{MD}{AS} where Braces mean the operations inside have the same priority, or "BMOIHSP".

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

OwlFancier posted:

If you analyze this division at a smaller level, you have nuclear fisshin'.

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

You put the mustard in the ranch, then dip the pizza in it.
:mods:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Would it not be ah-kaah-nay?

Seems like a reach on his part tbh.

Yes, it is. It's infuriating.

I've had it out with him a few times about him pulling some lovely boomer prejudice out of his rear end, and he usually self corrects if you manage to lay it out for him to see how lovely he's being, but he can be extremely stubborn.

The last big blow-up was "well for a lot of people residential schools were good, actually" and it took me, my sister, and my brother in law (who does have some indigenous ancestry) working together to get him to accept that maybe, just maybe, the 1960s story of "these natives can't take care of their children so we're doing them a favour, actually" isn't true.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

On a more lighthearted note, I'm really loving these Twitter idiots claiming that BODMAS didn't exist when they were kids, this is some newfangled math and it's dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has anyone said “BODMAS deez nuts”?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RoboRodent posted:

On a more lighthearted note, I'm really loving these Twitter idiots claiming that BODMAS didn't exist when they were kids, this is some newfangled math and it's dumb.

I think my whole life has had people going "this math isn't like my math class at 10, therefore it is wrong and dumb"

If Kids These Days don't have to learn long division, great, that poo poo sucks and I have not once used it outside of basic arithmetic.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I think the lesson here is that she should use some loving brackets. And also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRa-7A0BDCc&t=172s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RoboRodent posted:

Now remember how we used to do that. Three from two is nine; carry the one, and if you're under 35 or went to a private school you say seven from three is six, but if you're over 35 and went to a public school you say eight from four is six; carry the one so we have 169, but in the new approach, as you know, the important thing is to understand what you're doing rather than to get the right answer,