Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

As I approach the end of G2-5, which I'm guessing has like 2 hours left, I must say This is the best Kamen Rider show i've ever seen.

just kinda basking in the afterglow. Together, these two games are the peak of the series. Ever since T&T, I've felt that the series has been missing something in gameplay escalation and continuity, GAAC delivers it in spades.

My deepest wish for the series is that the AA7 that was leaked a year ago ends up being the end of Phoenix Wright (and frankly mostly be an Athena game) and for the series to then do wholly different settings every two or three games. Or, hell, dare I imagine, gargantuan games with 10 cases or more (obvs with like case #6 in lieu of a tutorial, just being about the same as 6-4, to catch your breath) I really, really want a sci-fi game.

I wouldn't mind it but Phoenix is still my favorite lawyer to play as and probably always will be and I don't think I could really get attached to someone new every couple games.

This is definitely just old man yelling at cloud though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Oh yeah, so, G2-5 ending spoilers I had a hunch as I presented the final evidence, and sure enough, if you look at the box art, the exact center of the box is the final piece of evidence. This loving game

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MorningMoon posted:

Oh yeah, so, G2-5 ending spoilers I had a hunch as I presented the final evidence, and sure enough, if you look at the box art, the exact center of the box is the final piece of evidence. This loving game

I knew it was gonna be like that for almost two full cases. The ultimate example of Ace Attorney evidence lag.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've hit the Apollo Justice stage of my series replay playing AA4 for the first time in like ten years. It has a really strong start; 4-1 I think is still the best tutorial in the series. Hobo Nick is surprisingly close to OT Nick without the inner monologue; he has always had a nasty habit of not telling anyone what he's thinking or planning. I haven't gotten to the flashback case yet, that's the part with which people seem to take issue.

Most of the main cast are good eggs, I really like the dynamic between Apollo, Trucy and Ema. Klavier really is what drags this game down; he's a condescending prick from day one, but unlike every other prosecutor, it's completely unmotivated. He could dislike Apollo for what happened to Kristoph or for working under Phoenix, but he doesn't seem all that bothered by either.

One thing I did forget was the reason Apollo and Trucy were allowed to be backstage in 4-3. He'd given them special access because he "wanted to see the Fräulein again," which is just deeply unwholesome.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't been reading this thread in fear of spoilers, but I came the realization that Jezaile Brett's name is an homage to Jeremy Brett, the actor who played Sherlock Holmes in the tv adaptations from the 80s through the 90s.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not. In the stories, Watson was shot with a bullet from a gun called a jezail. Brett and Bullet are pronounced near the same in Japanese.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's too outlandish a coincidence, even for Sherlock Holmes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't been reading this thread in fear of spoilers, but I came the realization that Jezaile Brett's name is an homage to Jeremy Brett, the actor who played Sherlock Holmes in the tv adaptations from the 80s through the 90s.

I thought that too maybe but it was too weird a pull for a character like that and assumes whoever came up with it knew that 'Jez' was a very British shortening of Jeremy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They must be Peep Show fans :thinking emoji:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
For what it's worth I believe the Granada series is very popular in Japan; I've seen other Japanese Holmes pastiches reference it directly, and it got a Blu-Ray release there before any other region.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought that too maybe but it was too weird a pull for a character like that and assumes whoever came up with it knew that 'Jez' was a very British shortening of Jeremy.

tbf there's enough weird obscure holmes poo poo in this game that I can believe another one

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've hit the Apollo Justice stage of my series replay playing AA4 for the first time in like ten years. It has a really strong start; 4-1 I think is still the best tutorial in the series. Hobo Nick is surprisingly close to OT Nick without the inner monologue; he has always had a nasty habit of not telling anyone what he's thinking or planning. I haven't gotten to the flashback case yet, that's the part with which people seem to take issue.

Most of the main cast are good eggs, I really like the dynamic between Apollo, Trucy and Ema. Klavier really is what drags this game down; he's a condescending prick from day one, but unlike every other prosecutor, it's completely unmotivated. He could dislike Apollo for what happened to Kristoph or for working under Phoenix, but he doesn't seem all that bothered by either.

One thing I did forget was the reason Apollo and Trucy were allowed to be backstage in 4-3. He'd given them special access because he "wanted to see the Fräulein again," which is just deeply unwholesome.

I think what dragged Trudy down (for me) was that she was way too competent of an assistant. Outside of not having Apollo's bracelet she never really seems that fazed by any of the twists during a trial, she could probably handle a case all on her own if need be. Susato was also very competent, but her competence actually made sense and her encyclopediac logic and calm nature balances out Ryunosuke's creative thinking and more emotive wavelength. Apollo really just has really keen observation over Trudy.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

4-1 is great.

Klavier is genuinely the weakest prosecutor in the series. This isn't even his fault as much as it is that he just...doesn't really do anything. Apollo had his brother convicted for murder! And later his best friend! Both of whom actually did it! How did he feel about it? Eh, who cares. What about everything with the falsehoods involving his first trial? Surely that's important to him, isn't it? But they don't go into that either!

It's not even about him being condescending for me, it's about that his whole life is torn down around him and he just doesn't really have much to say about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's just super weird that Klavier is presented as this super evolved prosecutor who is just chill and doesn't care about any of the poo poo that should be points of contention, but he's also a huge dick. Like that was the thing that was supposed to stand out about him!

I will grant him that he has some good animations.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think what dragged Trudy down (for me) was that she was way too competent of an assistant. Outside of not having Apollo's bracelet she never really seems that fazed by any of the twists during a trial, she could probably handle a case all on her own if need be. Susato was also very competent, but her competence actually made sense and her encyclopediac logic and calm nature balances out Ryunosuke's creative thinking and more emotive wavelength. Apollo really just has really keen observation over Trudy.

You're really setting the bar high by comparing her to Susato, who is leagues ahead of every other assistant. The only one who even comes close is Franziska in 3-5.

I wasn't that bothered by Trucy's competence, personally. She is a Wright, after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like there's two metrics to judge prosecutors on: how they are written as characters and how they are written as an obstacle in the gameplay. Some are good at both, some are good characters but bad at being rivlas, and some are Sahdmadi.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You're really setting the bar high by comparing her to Susato, who is leagues ahead of every other assistant. The only one who even comes close is Franziska in 3-5.

I'm a big Ema Skye fan but a big part of this may be here awesome theme song

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I like Sahdmadhi :smith:

Though to be fair, this is at least partly(maybe heavily) because his design and animations are absolutely fantastic. Also, I think he's funny.

At least he has more character development than Klavier. (That is to say, any.)

(That said, Susato is best assistant this is beyond doubt. Blackquill is a pretty awesome assistant in 6-4, but that's not really his main job.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gonna say Gregson is at least tied for best detective.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For certain definitions of best

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm gonna say Gregson is at least tied for best detective.

Gregson is an excellent detective.

His flaw as a character lies solely in his moral choices, which are, you know, central to his character and all that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In terms of competence or as a character? The latter is gonna be a hard disagree from me, but I'll grant that he's competent enough. He kind of does share the "detective" slot with a certain other character whose prowess is, well, inimitable.

Plus, Ema I'd say is the actual best. She helps you out quite often, and her investigations and provided clues are wholly accurate, outside of 6-6 where she's turned into Gumshoe for some reason.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

His schtick with Iris got old fast but then they keep doing it

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

After a delay, finally finished grandpa's 2-4 and 2-5.

:tviv:

Epilogue spoilers Iris absolutely eavesdropped the conversation where it's revealed she's Dracula's niece, didn't she?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ace Attorney prosecutors are often written as perfect, calculating, and meticulous but the demands of game design and storytelling require them to be dumbasses sometimes.

For a future AA game, I want a decisive overlooked detail in a photograph to be a literal elephant in the room.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Early on in Trial Part 2, GAA2-3: Having the prosecution bring in a child to testify that teleportation is real and a key part of the murder and realizing that in a cruel change of pace, someone else is presenting the ridiculous bullshit hypothetical murder method to you

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 1, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

overeager overeater posted:

Early on in Trial Part 2, GAA2-3: Having the prosecution bring in a child to testify that teleportation is real and a key part of the murder and realizing that in a cruel change of pace, someone else is presenting the ridiculous bullshit hypothetical murder method to you

Van Zieks going 100% in on teleportation being real, actually is...not the best part of GAA2-3, which I think may be my favorite AA case of all time, but it is absolutely delightful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Susato was also very competent, but her competence actually made sense and her encyclopediac logic and calm nature balances out Ryunosuke's creative thinking and more emotive wavelength.

I feel like the game puts a little more emphasis than others on Ryunosuke being very talented. He's basically a random guy with no related skills other than "being really good at English" (I like that they point out how on-point his English is, instead of just brushing over how he's managing to function in Britain) who was suddenly thrust into court and started winning. Dude is basically a prodigy at "court lawyer-ing," awkward overreactions aside. So Susato sort of fills in for a lot of the technical knowledge that Ryunosuke can't reasonably have, due to not being a lawyer by training.

I feel like other Ace Attorney protagonists often suffer from having few distinct non-gimmicky skills beyond "having a strong desire for justice."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

t3isukone posted:

Van Zieks going 100% in on teleportation being real, actually is...not the best part of GAA2-3, which I think may be my favorite AA case of all time, but it is absolutely delightful.
I think the third cases of both games are stellar, which is really bucking a long running AA trend.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

please, we just debunked that supposed trend on like the last page

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In terms of competence or as a character? The latter is gonna be a hard disagree from me, but I'll grant that he's competent enough. He kind of does share the "detective" slot with a certain other character whose prowess is, well, inimitable.

Plus, Ema I'd say is the actual best. She helps you out quite often, and her investigations and provided clues are wholly accurate, outside of 6-6 where she's turned into Gumshoe for some reason.

Okay but being turned into Gumshoe is a wonderful thing.

I miss him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but they brought back fuckin Larry and gave him an all new 3D model. If they had the budget to bring back one trilogy character, why not pick someone who was actually pivotal to every case involving Edgeworth and Maya, and also is a character we want to see doing well for himself?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
sorry, gumshoe starved to death offscreen

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Edgeworth cut his salary until it was negative and he poofed out of existence

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

t3isukone posted:

I suspected that (Trial Part 2 GAA2-3) it was a ploy on his part to get Harebrayne to rescind the scientific equipment dispension but he looks so wounded when you prove what actually happened :smith:

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

overeager overeater posted:

I suspected that (Trial Part 2 GAA2-3) it was a ploy on his part to get Harebrayne to rescind the scientific equipment dispension but he looks so wounded when you prove what actually happened :smith:

My read is that it was definitely a ploy on his part, but the purpose was to defend his best only friend's reputation from people like that one juror and Drebber.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One more week until the official 20th anniversary, October 12.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Plus, Ema I'd say is the actual best.

Not an emptyquote

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Waffleman_ posted:

One more week until the official 20th anniversary, October 12.

Oh hey, that's my birthday, too. What a pleasant surprise

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now I'm gonna say I won't get my hopes up

But I will a little bit maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Figured I'd ask - are there any cases in G2 that rival the length of 1-5? I was hooked on it but drat, that length caught me off-guard.