Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I got to the site of the 35w bridge collapse like five minutes after it happened, we were watching cartoons in my college house basement and heard that poo poo, biked over directly and were like good loving lord this is metal as gently caress

A lot of cars died in that. Not as many as you'd think though

Any of you other mpls goons see that poo poo? Fuckin nuts. Those gusset plates were turbbofucked for years. Can't even spend enough on the car infrastructure to prevent that.

https://youtu.be/i5OkTfOLqx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OkTfOLqx8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m the injected molded wheel well rivets

we had someone renting in our building that was the only person that never wore a mask in the common areas all the way back to when covid started last march

he had some people over and one had a lifted ford raptor lmfao, similar to this

also it had a camo print on the headrests

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend was traumatized by the texas cold snap this winter so he's going to buy an electric ford lightning to sit there and power his home, he said it was cheaper than those internal tesla batteries for residences

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

these loving trucks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

trying to find that picture that shows an early 1990s ford ranger vs a current f150

the ford ranger at that time was actually a reasonably sized truck

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my dad had a tiny 80s mazda truck when I was little and I loved that thing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i say swears online posted:

my friend was traumatized by the texas cold snap this winter so he's going to buy an electric ford lightning to sit there and power his home, he said it was cheaper than those internal tesla batteries for residences

he needs a duel fuel generac

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ArmZ posted:

he needs a duel fuel generac

the big ones i worked with in nigeria were only gasoline i think but they were pretty ubiquitous because of the terrible grid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

trying to find that picture that shows an early 1990s ford ranger vs a current f150

the ford ranger at that time was actually a reasonably sized truck

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tulip posted:

Completely ignoring construction costs AKA the amount of work it takes to do, there's a significant difference in terms of land use, which is to say has implications for actual convenience of the amenity, not to mention that any place where you have an at-grade train you don't have a building or park or graveyard there, just due to physics.

With labor costs, it's pretty complicated. Tunneling is traditionally much harder/slower than either at grade, elevated, or cut & cover, but people who live at street level have gotten really good at disrupting non-tunneling construction, driving up costs and time. This is largely motivated by the fact that non-tunneling construction is disruptive to people who it's happening right next to (assuming it isn't just fully displacing them). Also by "people who live at" I mostly mean "people who own businesses that are located at" because small business owners are much better at protecting their class interests than the rest of us :rip:

My point is that there's reasons to build trains in different ways at different places for different things, just so long as automobile delenda est.

look at this loving Koch sock puppet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m the injected molded wheel well rivets

i'm the fake bead locks on the wheels

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

we had someone renting in our building that was the only person that never wore a mask in the common areas all the way back to when covid started last march

i'm the big tough masculine man punisher sticker truck with wittle steppies

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

my dad had a tiny 80s mazda truck when I was little and I loved that thing

honestly these trucks are pretty cute, but alas they must be set on fire as well

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

Make sure to wear a helmet that way when one of these things smashes you into a paste without the driver feeling anything people posting on the facebook articles about your death won't say "where was their helmet???"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

car bad

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of my neighbors got a new lincoln navigator

it's so long (wikipedia says 210 INCHES) it doesn't even fit in his townhome driveway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

other than the navigator and the escalade, it feels like it's been a decade since i've seen a new lincoln or cadillac. i guess those are greatest generation vehicles, though i remember in the early-mid 2000s cadillac redid their sedans with that led zeppelin song to appeal to boomers

edit i don't even see a lincoln sedan on their website, crazy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

actionjackson posted:

one of my neighbors got a new lincoln navigator

it's so long (wikipedia says 210 INCHES) it doesn't even fit in his townhome driveway

a few years ago there was an article i think in usa today about how trucks are now too tall for older garages, they even interviewed a few truck owners who were newly unable to park in their garages. very funny especially because not buying gigantic loving trucks seemingly did not occur to any of them

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

when I was living in Texas around 2009-2012, and starting when I was in the army before that, there was a gradual increase in the likelihood that the less-overt kind of racist would associate “welfare queens/kings” as often having some kind of nice-looking recent-year Cadillac And That’s Why The Deficit

seems like if that idea spread into the Katamari-brainworms crowd widely since then it could be bad for the sales numbers of huge awful cars to boomers

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Don't think anybody has mentioned this, but the whole concept of soccer mom is a car dependent.

Soccer, some other sport, dance classes or a martial arts.
You take the kid and put them around other random kids, that they will never meet again.

And instead of seeing it as a way of making the kid social, it's just a thing a person can put on a college or job application.

It makes the kid unsocial. Like people come and go out of their lives. No deep relationships ever.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Don't think anybody has mentioned this, but the whole concept of soccer mom is a car dependent.

Soccer, some other sport, dance classes or a martial arts.
You take the kid and put them around other random kids, that they will never meet again.

And instead of seeing it as a way of making the kid social, it's just a thing a person can put on a college or job application.

It makes the kid unsocial. Like people come and go out of their lives. No deep relationships ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_xzyCDT98

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

other than the navigator and the escalade, it feels like it's been a decade since i've seen a new lincoln or cadillac. i guess those are greatest generation vehicles, though i remember in the early-mid 2000s cadillac redid their sedans with that led zeppelin song to appeal to boomers

edit i don't even see a lincoln sedan on their website, crazy

Ford is axing all of their non-truck, non-crossover vehicles except for I think the Mustang and the euro Focus

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it really sucks that actual cars are going away because i don't want to drive a fuckin crossover lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well i don't want to drive at all but since i live in a horrible car dependent city that's not really an option. maybe if i didn't have a kid.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did this guy ever see how he was able to get live in Netherlands in the first place? He's American originally right?

Filthy Hans posted:

Ford is axing all of their non-truck, non-crossover vehicles except for I think the Mustang and the euro Focus

yes, I heard it was only the mustang actually

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Filthy Hans posted:

drat police mustangs incoming

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if i must have a car i want a awd hybrid with a hitch (for bikes) and a bit of ground clearance for fire roads/trails

prius with a lift kit here i come

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e: can i have 30 grand

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

e: can i have 30 grand

you can but I won’t give it to you

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

you can but I won’t give it to you

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

drat police mustangs incoming

police around here haven’t had cars for a few years now. it’s all Ford Explorers/Chevy whatever SUVs

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

it's probably for the best. ford makes really lovely cars

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
they’re all lovely cars op

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I want to destroy the cars. It will be my my tiny tose moment

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't hate cars as much as I hate people

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I got to the site of the 35w bridge collapse like five minutes after it happened, we were watching cartoons in my college house basement and heard that poo poo, biked over directly and were like good loving lord this is metal as gently caress

A lot of cars died in that. Not as many as you'd think though

Any of you other mpls goons see that poo poo? Fuckin nuts. Those gusset plates were turbbofucked for years. Can't even spend enough on the car infrastructure to prevent that.

Welp just gonna ride my bike over to the PTSD factory see ya l8er!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if i must have a car i want a awd hybrid with a hitch (for bikes) and a bit of ground clearance for fire roads/trails

that's probably safer than my $30 amazon trunk-mounted bike rack. i'd love to take a subaru and a mountain bike out to utah for a couple weeks

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Re-watched this with a new sense of understanding anger.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

use people to destroy cars with bing bing bong so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Filthy Hans posted: