Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Monkey posted:

nomme de poon
Nom de rierre

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

horror as a genre is like 300 years in the past or more. It's all vampires, christian demons and Victorian style ghost stories. The movement of contemporary horror to the likes of Chambers, Borges or Lovecraft has mostly stalled and remains confined to smaller films. This would have made horror stuck merely 120-100 years in the past.

It gets weird when it's stuff like Pazuzu, a Sumerian 'demon' that is acting like a christian demon and is also vulnerable to a catholic priests bullshit. They didn't even have google back then I don't know how they settled on that particular demon.

While some horror movies definitely have that, there are some excellent recent movies that really have no Christian influence at all. What are you talking about?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

PhazonLink posted:

that one is actually interesting.

let me see if I can dig up the answer or some user posts it. ( tia )

I think this is the write up that usually gets posted about it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Sir please not the beetle thing again my shift only started and the frostie machine is already broken can you please just give me your order

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Wow, a Dekkar fan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIRVtwtIUc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Phyzzle posted:

So it should be PE{MD}{AS} where Braces mean the operations inside have the same priority, or "BMOIHSP".
I mean, I guess. You'd have to do the same thing with BEDMAS because with both neither multiplication/division or addition/subtraction are supposed to come 'before' the other.

But really you shouldn't make either of those changes because you're making it clunky to say, and it's meant to be an easy to remember mnemonic that reminds you of the rules you learned in primary school. It's not meant to carry all the complexity of order of operations in just the series of letters, it wouldn't be catchy if it did and then it wouldn't do its job.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Just remove the S and D and treat subtraction as the addition of a negative and division as multiplication by the reciprocal for order of operations purposes.

Probably not actually a good idea, but I do dislike multiple letters in the acronym having the same precedence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ravenfood posted:

While some horror movies definitely have that, there are some excellent recent movies that really have no Christian influence at all. What are you talking about?

Guy who's only seen Boss Baby etc

Get Out where the horror is white liberal racism

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

I've been working on this one on and off for years and never made any headway with it.

If you like this kind of thing, there's a UK newspaper that publishes about four of these a year as part of the Listener crosswords. I'm not sure how to get hold of them without subscribing though. The "normal" crosswords are pretty crazy as well.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/benner/status/1444343781986226176?s=19

:barf:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Prurient Squid posted:

I've been working on this one on and off for years and never made any headway with it.

It took me all drat day (and it wasn't entirely 100% by hand), but I managed to work out a solution. So good news, there really is a solution!

If I never do another number puzzle again it'll be too soon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

chglcu posted:

Just remove the S and D and treat subtraction as the addition of a negative and division as multiplication by the reciprocal for order of operations purposes.

Probably not actually a good idea, but I do dislike multiple letters in the acronym having the same precedence.

It's actually a very good idea. German kids learn "Punkt vor Strich" which means the dotted operations (multiplication and division) go before the stroked operations (addition and subtraction).

Once that's internalized, they learn that brackets supersede everything. They don't have to be taught that you start from the left because they know how to read.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Picnic Princess posted:

We need to reboot the old Batman TV show for modern times. That could be a really great episode.

they kind of did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Man posting Molyneaux is kind of cheating, every opinion that slithers out of his worthless gob is the worst tweet ever.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

I think about this a lot actually. It's weird how many games and movies with anything supernatural or horror based immediately settle on Christianity being correct and basing all demon/ghost protections on that. Some go an extra step to say "oh well it just works with the cross because any strong icon of faith would work" but most of them are just "yep, Jesus is Lord".

I feel like it's been the opposite for a while. There's always some "clever" justification that lets you use the cross aesthetic, without having to confront the idea that Christ is the way to heaven.

Even when they don't, it's still often functionally materialistic. Holy water being something you can brew in a toilet, by having an atheist sound out the right latin trigger-phrases over it etc.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DreadUnknown posted:

Man posting Molyneaux is kind of cheating, every opinion that slithers out of his worthless gob is the worst tweet ever.

And yet, I can’t help but feel that Ruthkanda Forever has this on lock. It gives me the same feeling of depressed revulsion that I got when I saw an RBG inspired milkshake IPA at the beer distributor.

Yes, it’s a real thing.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah that one is loving insufferable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can we all agree to just stop using "my own small child agrees with my political opinions"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crespolini posted:

I feel like it's been the opposite for a while. There's always some "clever" justification that lets you use the cross aesthetic, without having to confront the idea that Christ is the way to heaven.

Even when they don't, it's still often functionally materialistic. Holy water being something you can brew in a toilet, by having an atheist sound out the right latin trigger-phrases over it etc.

I'm suddenly reminded of the new Sabrina where they find out an exorcism ritual that's designed specifically for witches to use, since they don't have a Catholic priest on hand. There's a lot of fun there with the wizard/warlocks basically following Bizarro Catholicism. (something something The Legendary Super Satanist)

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Oct 3, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can we all agree to just stop using "my own small child agrees with my political opinions"?

Those stories are always prime STDH territory for sure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DreadUnknown posted:

Those stories are always prime STDH territory for sure.

One is to hope.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My kid hates them!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That one tweet where some famous author or whatever claimed their kid was spouting wise bullshit like "everything dies, even wolves and they're the strongest beings in nature. but not words. Words never die" and the top reply was a family friend saying "shut the gently caress up Karen, he never said that"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah man neither of those are even iconically bad imo.

Like they're bad but not impressive, people have no taste.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Which one do you think should have won?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OwlFancier posted:

I disagree, Ruthkanda Forever is iconically terrible

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It is a shame that neither 'cromulent fuckcrustable' or the hip grandma 'Hoss, that cheeto Mussolini done poo poo the bed' Tweets didn't make the final.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Taylor Swift eggs one makes my loving skin crawl every time I read it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah, it kinda distills the American attitude towards the womanfolk, with some Texasesque sprinkles on top.

e:

gbut has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Oct 3, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Molyneaux is Canadian last time I checked, not that the creepy obsession with a woman's eggs isnt shared all over the US as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gbut posted:

Yeah, it kinda distills the American attitude towards the womanfolk, with some Texasesque sprinkles on top.

e: insert that butterfly meme with "women" and "is this property" here.

This is bizarre to me cuz I've had several woman friends, including some from Texas, visit me in France and Germany and universally they said dudes harass them a lot more in Europe than in NY, Canada, or Texas.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, Canada is just a well-off American suburb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Which one do you think should have won?

I mean just as an example, ben shapiro's dry wife tweet is far more a cornerstone of our culture, IMO.

I also think that peaceful 70's belfast is important too but granted that might be geographic preference.

Like I'm not saying these are necessarily the best ones but I think they are both better than the two on offer for the final running.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Oct 3, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lumbermouth posted:

I disagree, Ruthkanda Forever is iconically terrible

I agree

How is Ruthkanda forever not one of the worst tweets ever? It's not even bland. It's awful!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno what to tell you, it barely even registers as noteworthy to me. Utterly passe, played out, hackneyed. You just can not top the levels of concentrated stupid that titans of the platform like ben shapiro can produce.

Like I know he has a lot of money behind him and you could argue that it dilutes the purity of the sport to include people who have been professionally trained but I'm sorry I just don't think you can argue that the sheer level of performance that these new athtweets are capable of outputting, is way above anything that most other humans can produce.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The thing that leaves me rooting for Ruthkanda Forever is that, unlike 'Taylor would be a fun mom' or 'the peace of 1970s Belfast', it's from a source that will never try to use their stupid tweet's notoriety as a platform.

I guarantee, if one of the latter two knew how much people jeer at it, they'd try to ride it, somewhere, if just to Fox News or something. But Ruthkanda Woman doesn't really have the inclination (and probably ability) to do that, so it's just isolated, benign stupidity.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Cleretic posted:

The thing that leaves me rooting for Ruthkanda Forever is that, unlike 'Taylor would be a fun mom' or 'the peace of 1970s Belfast', it's from a source that will never try to use their stupid tweet's notoriety as a platform.

I guarantee, if one of the latter two knew how much people jeer at it, they'd try to ride it, somewhere, if just to Fox News or something. But Ruthkanda Woman doesn't really have the inclination (and probably ability) to do that, so it's just isolated, benign stupidity.

And that it’s so clearly poo poo That Didn’t Happen. I just imagine her workshopping “okay how do I comment on my Get Out style love and respect for both Chadwick Boseman and Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Twitter…” and it makes my shoulders tense.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I voted Taylor fun mom, just because it's not some rando reply guy, it's somebody with millions of followers who knew when he typed it that a lot of people would actually see it

Dewgy posted:

RBG inspired milkshake IPA

There's not a single encouraging word in that sentence

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best/worst Naomi Wolf tweet is either the one about COVID vaccine poop that got her banned or the QT of a teddy bear with a mask on where she simply said “No…no!”