Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
PC building is more or less financially impossible or anguishing rn but there's good news! PC Building Simulator goes free on epic from the 7th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how do you go about choosing a case? don't know where to start.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, first i'd probably work out a budget and list of features, then find one that reviewed well with those qualities. if you suggest a price point there are tons of people itt who can point you in the right direction, but we'd need to know that first.

do you need eg HDD slots, or usb c on the front panel, or want something gaudy or high airflow, or very quiet, etc etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not sure about anything yet. i probably wanna spend not much more than $600 total (but i got the main drive already, and gpu excluded). i was hoping some particularly good cpu/mobo deal would dictate the direction of the build.

e:though I definitely don't need a tiny case, especially if that's more expensive

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 1, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nah in that case I'd go for the most cheap and barebones, I mean I literally did. I went with a CiT Flash case - not the nicest or quietest by any means but functional and lots of fans and slots.

I think mATX or mid towers tend to be cheaper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

how do you go about choosing a case? don't know where to start.

Toss out all the ones with obviously terrible airflow and then go with aesthetics. By "obviously terrible," I mean cases with a closed-off design that only offer very small openings for ventilation (the Thermaltake A500 is a classic example of this) where you can't even overpower the airflow restrictions with more fans. Or cases like this where they have lots of ventilation along the sides, but they don't utilize any of it because they've placed all of their fans directly against the panels.

In fact, you can just look at Gamers Nexus' case temperature charts to see what all the worst cases are from an airflow standpoint, then disregard those and any that look like them. After that, just go with your heart, imo. Even if a case isn't perfect thermally, you can usually still work with it.

edit: requirements for case features are very lax these days. Very few people are putting lots of hard drives in their PCs anymore, and nobody uses optical drives anymore. Almost any modern midtower will support just about anything you want to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there a recommended site for seeing the options? just browse newegg?

CoolCab posted:

nah in that case I'd go for the most cheap and barebones, I mean I literally did. I went with a CiT Flash case - not the nicest or quietest by any means but functional and lots of fans and slots.

I think mATX or mid towers tend to be cheaper.

i'm not picky, and i'll be fine with anything decent really, but i think i would prefer solid panes

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just looked at the CiT Flash, and that's the exact kind of case I would recommend that nobody ever buy lmao. The airflow channels are so tiny, and the fans seem so close to the glass. Having "lots of fans" isn't a plus when you need that many running at full blast just to get decent thermals. Please don't spend money on that, no matter how cheap it is.

Rinkles posted:

is there a recommended site for seeing the options? just browse newegg?

i'm not picky, and i'll be fine with anything decent really, but i think i would prefer solid panes

Like I mentioned, Gamers Nexus is a decent source of reviews, which can give you an idea of what to direction to go in.

Most cases are going to have a tempered glass side panel, that's just how it is now. Some will give you the option for a solid side panel. To give you a list of names for decent cases that you can look up, I'll quote myself from earlier in the thread:

quote:

The current popular airflow-focused cases include the Corsair 4000D/5000D Airflow, Phanteks P400A/P500A/P600S, Cooler Master MB511, H500, and TD500, Fractal Designs Meshify series and the Fractal Designs Torrent, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX and Silent Base 802, and the Lian Li Lancool 215 and Lancool II Mesh (and the upcoming O11 Air Mini looks pretty good from an air-cooling perspective). Some non-mesh alternatives that don't suck include the Fractal Designs Define series, the NZXT H710, and the Lian Li O11 Dynamic if you want something really different (it's designed for water cooling but it can do air cooling). There are a load of other mesh options to choose from that are probably at least decent, and plenty of non-mesh options that range from terrible hotboxes to pretty good. Just make sure any intakes are adequately large, and that with a solid front panel, your fans are spaced at least an inch and a half or so away from the front to give them some room to breathe.

The P600S and Silent Base 802 have solid side panel options, but they're on the expensive side (around $150). The ever-popular Meshify C has a solid side panel option too: https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352085 (as do the other Meshify cases)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Elem7 posted:

It's also odd to say that a 3090 is overkill for VR given high res VR like that is one of the few times all that vram may be worth it for games especially in the future.

Whenever VRAM limitations did become a problem for VR gaming "in the future" you could have taken the ~$1000 you saved by not buying a 3090 to buy whatever high end card exists at that time and get a lot more performance for longer for the same financial outlay.

Edit: Or if VRAM for VR gaming is the main concern the 6800 or 6800XT would seem more sensible options.

I'm reading about it now and there does seem to be some chatter in VR flight sim forums about people worried the 10GB of VRAM in the 3080 isn't enough for their headsets but it seems to be more about allocation rather than actual usage.

I'm not trying to poo poo on you or your build specifically but it's important to question the desire to buy the most expensive everything without being able to point out why that's actually necessary. Yes it's nice to be able to afford nice things but that's no reason to just be totally profligate with your spending. The usual points about not being able to future proof and making your money work smarter by not buying the absolute top of the line components and saving for upgrades giving you better performance for the same outlay apply.

Obviously the current market being what it is shakes a lot of that up so I can kind of appreciate 'gently caress it i bought a 3090 because it was the only thing available and it wasn't being scalped as ruthlessly as the other cards' more than 'I bought a 3090 for future proofing'.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 1, 2021

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Not really a problem per se but I already have a 3060 that I got for €549, which was painful at first, but was apparently a good price.

While waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive. I got a line on a 3060Ti for €645. I'm now seriously considering returning the 3060 and going for the Ti instead.

I hate that I think that with GPUs already being so expensive, a hundred more isn't that big of deal.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just looked at the CiT Flash, and that's the exact kind of case I would recommend that nobody ever buy lmao. The airflow channels are so tiny, and the fans seem so close to the glass. Having "lots of fans" isn't a plus when you need that many running at full blast just to get decent thermals. Please don't spend money on that, no matter how cheap it is.

oh it's terrible, let me be clear, and I've posted about what it took to get the airflow decent with aftermarket fans. but despite being terrible - it was under 30 quid, easily managed the low power components I had in originally and only needed under 5 quid worth of additional fans when I upgraded.

at 600 bucks in this market - honestly I might even suggest going cheaper tbh and finding something secondhand. if you are going to cheap out on any component, and some people will be forced to, cheap out on the case imo.

my extended plans involved taking a Dremel to the non-glass front panel and making some speed holes :madmax:, fortunately it wasn't necessary

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

a podcast for cats posted:

Not really a problem per se but I already have a 3060 that I got for €549, which was painful at first, but was apparently a good price.

While waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive. I got a line on a 3060Ti for €645. I'm now seriously considering returning the 3060 and going for the Ti instead.

I hate that I think that with GPUs already being so expensive, a hundred more isn't that big of deal.

If I were you I'd go for the Ti.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

oh it's terrible, let me be clear, and I've posted about what it took to get the airflow decent with aftermarket fans. but despite being terrible - it was under 30 quid, easily managed the low power components I had in originally and only needed under 5 quid worth of additional fans when I upgraded.

at 600 bucks in this market - honestly I might even suggest going cheaper tbh and finding something secondhand. if you are going to cheap out on any component, and some people will be forced to, cheap out on the case imo.

my extended plans involved taking a Dremel to the non-glass front panel and making some speed holes :madmax:, fortunately it wasn't necessary

I did that one to some lovely plastic hotbox I had 15 years ago. It had a front fan slot, but only the tiniest opening possible for airflow (sometimes I feel like case designers don't actually understand how air works), so me and my buddy at the time opened that sucker up.

I still fundamentally disagree with your stance here. Cheaping out to that extent on the case is a good way to end up with thermal throttling issues or an obnoxiously loud PC that you hate using. Those cheap $60 airflow-focused montech cases that come with a lot of fans are the cheapest I'd go (link, link)

And with montech, you get some hilarious marketing images

Keeping everything under $600 is gonna be tough, though. You'll probably have to go with a previous-gen intel CPU. Or maybe wait until Alder Lake comes out and see if one of the 11th gen CPUs hits $200 or less.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And with montech, you get some hilarious marketing images

I've been looking at this image for several minutes and still can't make sense of it. If they'd said it was inspired by the 7th gen nano they might have something but I don't think anyone considers any era of iPod touch iconic and I have a current touch.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
The case I've been working with for my new build literally has no side or front panels. It's just what's leftover after I cannibalized a Cougar MX-330 case that got smashed up during shipping

The airflow is :krad:

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
I'm about to put together a new system and have been looking at options for a stats monitor, but I don't particularly want to run it as a second monitor and run HDMI from the GPU back into the system.

Looking around, I found this thing https://shopee.com.my/3.5-inch-IPS-...6610.3045974531 but that seller only ships to Malaysia.

Is anything like this available in the EU? I've been looking, but my searches have been fruitless so far.

I'm also considering using an RPi Zero with a small RPi screen powered from a USB header for this, but that's a more involved project, at least for now.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just impluse bought a new system based on a Ryzen 5 5600x. Is there a thread recommended cpu cooler or is the stock included one fine?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?Item=N82E16819113666

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gaj posted:

I just impluse bought a new system based on a Ryzen 5 5600x. Is there a thread recommended cpu cooler or is the stock included one fine?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?Item=N82E16819113666

The stock cooler mostly works fine, but it can get fairly loud, and many people report that the 5600x's boosting algorithm is held back by it. The 5600X generates about 75W of heat under full load at stock settings--this is on the low end as far as desktop CPUs go. Just about any standard tower cooler will effectively dissipate the heat and allow the CPU to work unimpeded. Anything beyond that basic tier is just for quieter operation (or aesthetics, if you want to go for something more exotic). The Hyper 212 is on the low end here. It'll get the job done, and it won't be very loud, either, but it's also not the quietest (quieter than the stock cooler, though). The NH-U12S Redux will be similar, but with a better, more noise-efficient fan. It also has a much better mounting solution (the 212 can be a pita). The Scythe Fuma 2 is the quietest of the bunch. A dual tower design with two low-RPM fans that together dissipate heat better than the previous two while being quieter. There are higher-end coolers, but they're completely unnecessary for a 5600x.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 3, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Baggins posted:

I'm about to put together a new system and have been looking at options for a stats monitor, but I don't particularly want to run it as a second monitor and run HDMI from the GPU back into the system.

Looking around, I found this thing https://shopee.com.my/3.5-inch-IPS-...6610.3045974531 but that seller only ships to Malaysia.

Is anything like this available in the EU? I've been looking, but my searches have been fruitless so far.

I'm also considering using an RPi Zero with a small RPi screen powered from a USB header for this, but that's a more involved project, at least for now.

Corsair iCUE NEXUS Companion Touch Screen – 5” Diagonal Screen – 6 Programmable Virtual Macro Buttons – Live System Readouts – iCUE-compatible Device Control – Connect to Keyboard or Standalone Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNDHDCT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H736MHQQJV4Z030S5R07

Kingwin FPX-007 Performance 5.25” Touchscreen LCD Fan Controller Cooling with Liquid Crystal Display Module. Features Temperature Monitor, RPM Display, and Fan Fail Alarm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWJVKN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_F6WH3KWAEACVNMGHXM51

Most solutions seem to connect via HDMI.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Corsair iCUE NEXUS Companion Touch Screen – 5”

I have a RPi 0w hooked up to a 4.5” car seat display to monitor and log my home’s network. It is too small to really read, but it sits on the eye-level third row of my bookcase. If it starts flashing, I hit the HDMI switch-button and my second monitor becomes the RPi’s output. I do hardware monitoring throughout the house using Spacedesk and my iPad 4 that I carry if I’m downstairs because I can shitpost (Awful App), draw (paint clone in App Store), and either read books (kindle app) or comics and watch YouTube. I’m stuck on iOS 10, but it has the Retina display and it never touches the internet directly.

I had too much free time during 2020s quarantine for my own good 😊.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Alright looks like I do in fact need to build out a system. I know basically what I'm doing -

5900X
Scythe Fuma 2
2x16 memory (what I'm buying depends on prices when I hit buy)
RTX 3090 (already have it and it's the reason for the build)
Corsair 4000D Airflow (open to suggestions on this)
Corsair RM850X (Thanks TheFluff for the rec, went with the 850 over the 750 since it's barely more expensive and with a 10 year warranty it might last multiple systems)

The two questions I have are :
I would probably go with an MSI B550-A Pro for the motherboard, but it seems like the sound on that board might be kind of lovely. If I'm not looking for wifi or any of the other expensive features, what would be my next best option today?
What M.2 NVME SSDs should I be considering besides the 970 Evo Plus? Or what site is the current best source for SSD reviews/comparison/etc? I definitely want a relatively fast 2tb main drive in this system, but I haven't kept up on SSDs at all and I have no idea what the practical user price/performance curve looks like other than the 970 Evo Plus is very good (and likely not the most efficient buy).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have an MSI B550M Bazooka and that works fine for me

As far as NVMe drives, I have the WD Blue 1 TB which was a site recommendation. I believe they also have the 2 TB version.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of mobos for a 5900x, all the guides i'm seeing seem to say that a B550 board is good enough for even the top of the line 5950X. Is this true? when would you need a board with the more expensive X570 chipset? also why even have two chipsets?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s really about extras. Any of those boards can handle that that processor

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The PBO algorithm may be able to get more out of boards with better power delivery. That's independent of the chipset, though, and the 5950X isn't even very power hungry. AMD doesn't seem to lock key features like faster memory speeds or overclocking support behind the high-end chipset like Intel has done in the past. What you're mainly missing out on by sticking with B550 is some extra PCIe Gen 4 lanes (not really necessary for most people) and some extra I/O (B550 has plenty already). Particularly, on most (all?) B550 boards, using the chipset M.2 slot will disable some of the SATA ports. The popular Asus ROG Strix B550-F motherboard disables two of its six SATA ports when using the chipset M.2 slot (which is locked to Gen 3). So the reason to get an X570 board is if you want two Gen 4 M.2 drives and/or six SATA drives.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Baggins posted:

Selfquoting because I found out about GOverlay and their LCDSysInfo product: https://www.goverlay.com/content/choose/

Bought the 3.5" version. I'll report back once I have it set up and configured.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a bit of an odd situation and I'm not sure on which approach to take to solve it.

As an independent software contractor I sometimes get big clients that demand I install their enterprise snoopers before I can use VPNs etc, something critical to my work, especially since I'm remote. I believe them when they say it's just going to check for antivirus and software update status or whatever, but I still have privacy concerns, and legitimate legal concerns since I have other clients' confidential data on my main laptop.

I can often get around this by having the client provide a laptop which can then have whatever they like installed on it, but this involves throwing weight around on day one and is not ideal.

I eventually planned on solving this by setting up a beefy server and dedicating some virtualised resources to it, but that's not happening any time soon and I have 6 months with one of these problem clients starting on the 11th.

The simplest solution in my mind is to buy a reasonably priced standalone system that can get a fresh ubuntu install and only ever be used for my main client (I usually only have one client at a time big enough to demand this). This could be a laptop or a prebuilt or self built workstation, and that's where I'm not sure on approach.

Laptop pros:
- separate display so I can use my main display for other things
- can work from wherever (but "wherever" will probably mean "wherever in the house")

Workstation pros:
- more bang for buck

Either way, more cores and RAM generally means better, not for typing code, but test suites are often brutal on processing power.

Are there any market reasons to go one way or another right now? Are there any manufacturers or architectures that would fit the bill? Any prebuilts that are a steal right now? Fortunately I won't need a fancy GPU (my gaming PC is still running an EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Can you define 'reasonably priced' a bit more specifically? A Ryzen 5900x is insanely powerful for a consumer and would almost certainly stroll through any code test suite and if you're not needing a top end GPU a system doesn't need to be insanely expensive. But I don't know if that remotely counts as 'reasonably priced' to you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can you define 'reasonably priced' a bit more specifically? A Ryzen 5900x is insanely powerful for a consumer and would almost certainly stroll through any code test suite and if you're not needing a top end GPU a system doesn't need to be insanely expensive. But I don't know if that remotely counts as 'reasonably priced' to you.

Fair point. Something in the £500 area? £1000 would be pushing it. Not including peripherals.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you want something quick and no hassle, could look at some refurbished workstations, such as these for ~£500

https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/i...ower-000061&p=1

However the CPU isnt great (Xeon v3s from the the era of absent AMD and Intel segmenting and overpricing the hell out of everything). (New Dells for £500 seem to offer similar CPU but with much less generous ram) For ~£750 you could build yourself a Ryzen 5600x system with twice the CPU performance (as per cpubenchmark.net)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hn7Pj2 (parts not chosen with care, just for a rapid price idea)

Laptops will leave a massive amount of performance on the table for the same budget. Can you get away with installing xrdp on a desktop and remoting in if you want to roam about.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
How accurate are case compatibility measurements usually? I'm looking at a graphics card that says it's 316mm long, and the Mini C says it'll take a max length of 315mm. Too close?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E:nvm

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Google the case and your specific card and you should find someone on reddit or wherever talking about if it fits or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tarbrush posted:

How accurate are case compatibility measurements usually? I'm looking at a graphics card that says it's 316mm long, and the Mini C says it'll take a max length of 315mm. Too close?

I assume you have the case already, no? When in doubt, measure it yourself. The GPU measurement should be accurate, if nothing else.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you want something quick and no hassle, could look at some refurbished workstations, such as these for ~£500

https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/i...ower-000061&p=1

However the CPU isnt great (Xeon v3s from the the era of absent AMD and Intel segmenting and overpricing the hell out of everything). (New Dells for £500 seem to offer similar CPU but with much less generous ram) For ~£750 you could build yourself a Ryzen 5600x system with twice the CPU performance (as per cpubenchmark.net)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hn7Pj2 (parts not chosen with care, just for a rapid price idea)

Seems reasonable, thanks!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Laptops will leave a massive amount of performance on the table for the same budget. Can you get away with installing xrdp on a desktop and remoting in if you want to roam about.

Quite possibly. I've not dealt with remote desktop software in 15 years, is that something I can get decent latency from over wifi from a macbook? Not like gaming latency, but typing and clicking around etc. I can wire the desktop in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
buy this instead

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pc-budget-buy-fac3-ryzen-5600g-5700g-95-8gb-240gb-windows-system-from-ps450-at-palicomp-3801823

spend another 110 quid on two sticks of 16, here's an example

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gs...germany-3799562

that will get you to a 5600G with enough ram to gently caress around for about 560 i think

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

tarbrush posted:

What’s the GPU you’re shoving in a mini c? The airflow in that case is bad (I know I had one) and if you’re putting a 3000 series GPU in there it’s gonna be painful.

If you stick with the mini c you may have to wedge it or carve out some front plastic. 1MM should be doable.

I recommend a Meshify 2 compact instead.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The downside js the 5600G is giving up around 10% of performance to the 5600X. For example Phoronix show some nontrival differences in linux compiling benchmarks:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen5-5600g&num=5

Fortunate budget gpu's like 1030 seem to be both available and affordable. If anything I'd be trying to find the +250 extra to go from 5600x 6core to 5900x which would hit around OP's £1k limit.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems reasonable, thanks!

Quite possibly. I've not dealt with remote desktop software in 15 years, is that something I can get decent latency from over wifi from a macbook? Not like gaming latency, but typing and clicking around etc. I can wire the desktop in.
I use xrdp on some linux boxes and find accessing them with window's rdp to be a decent experience. I wouldn't game that way but it's entirely usable for productivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a good guide anywhere for doing a wipe/fresh Windows install after upgrading parts, beyond the obvious? I replaced almost everything in my machine a few months ago and things have been fine, but I can't escape the nagging feeling that I should just do a fresh install to make sure I'm taking full advantage of my new parts.