Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah basically the US used chemical and biological warfare in Korea, then POWs testified to it, the US denied it and accused the Soviets of having brainwashed these troops into bearing false witness, and then convinced themselves that if the Soviets could brainwash people into lying about US activities in Korea, that they should be able to do that too, and MKULTRA was part of those programs to replicate this alleged Soviet brainwashing

Of course, the POWs were NOT lying because the US actually was doing what they said they were doing

sounds like CIA brainwashed themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Rutibex posted:

there's an Adam Curtis lecture about it that's pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp2vGAD-BGw

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rutibex posted:

the revolver ocelot gambit

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

the revolver ocelot gambit

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/unsolicited-seeds-china-brushing/619417/

quote:

The Truth Behind the Amazon Mystery Seeds

Why did so many Americans receive strange packages they didn’t think they’d ordered?

Culley ordered those seeds herself, Amazon told me. I took this with a grain of salt.

I assumed that Amazon was speciously linking these different events. I asked Culley to go into her order history and pull out her invoices, so we could show that the seeds she knew she had ordered had been delivered long before the mystery seeds arrived.

What she found was not what she—or I—expected.

On April 25, Culley had ordered three packets of seeds

This sent me into something of a tailspin. Initially, I had dismissed Amazon’s explanation, and I had cherry-picked Culley’s experience to prove the company wrong. That had backfired. But surely what Amazon was saying couldn’t be generally true? How could so many people have ordered seeds and then forgotten?

just the dumbest country.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

so you're telling me The Treacherous Han have a mind control ray that forced these people to order seeds???

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Guangdong Syndrome

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It owns Americans would believe anything that doesn't hold up under casual scrutiny, doubly so when it comes to China

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Palladium posted:

It owns Americans would believe anything that doesn't hold up under casual scrutiny, doubly so when it comes to China

remember when a bunch of news orgs said China was harvesting Uyghur organs and had to reluctantly add 'now mind you we have no PROOF of this but wouldn't that be just so fuckin twisted?', and then it became 'China harvests Uyghur HAIR to make wigs' that had to quietly change to 'actually that label we used just said these wigs are produced in Uyghur territories'?

It's just like North Korea poo poo, with news orgs eagerly explaining how Kim had his uncle blown up with an AA gun, then the next day going 'well it seems he's here in a picture at a concert'

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
There's also the Bloomberg spychip story that doesn't explain how some random spychip with PCB traces isn't gonna be caught by the thousands of EE engineers in an industry obsessed with weeding out unneeded components.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Xi jinping is doing irl squid game

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dreddout posted:

I only believe in the squirt game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

There's also the Bloomberg spychip story that doesn't explain how some random spychip with PCB traces isn't gonna be caught by the thousands of EE engineers in an industry obsessed with weeding out unneeded components.

Obviously the Chinese spy/control/kill chips are hidden within the integrated circuits. They are not a seperate component

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

it rules how western media loves to talk about how brainwashed the chinese populace is and the :ironicat: keeps getting bigger over time

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Dreddout posted:

aw man, i was saving this joke lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

Arrogance and a hidden superiority complex are the daily bread when approaching an unknown civilization, with a radically different evolution, which cannot be judged with the usual American or European parameters without trying to open the focus.

There is nothing hidden about [the chauvinism], and it's often reframed in the opposite direction as an inferiority complex.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Palladium posted:

never retracted, never corrected despite being a bombshell cover story in which every assertion was later proven 100 percent false.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

Obviously the Chinese spy/control/kill chips are hidden within the integrated circuits. They are not a seperate component

Still doesn't pass a basic smell test though. It's impossible to hide tens or hundreds of millions of transistors and their interconnects on any chip without anybody working on it noticing.

It's so much easier for Chinese spies to just bribe some disgruntled American worker to get what they want.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sorry, we can't hire you. Your credit score is too low and indicates you may easily be bribed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

i remember people tossing out tons and tons of supermicro stuff over that poo poo, lmfao. managed to snag a server real cheap

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/asiasentinel/status/1444198092182470657

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Sorry, we can't hire you. Your credit score is too low and indicates you may easily be bribed.

jokes on you my credit score is 800 and I’ll take any bribe for any reason

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Reach4ACopsGun/status/1444353087670394882

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he’s loving huge

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

indigi posted:

how was he a governor in one country and president in another (presumably not concurrently, but still), that’s cool

he was deposed as president of georgia after big protests, kidna like a reverse of the color revolution that brought him to power. he fled georgia and was stripped of his citizenship, then after the euromaidan crisis, probably to troll russia somehow, he was given ukrainian citizenship and appointed odesa goveror by then-president poroshekno... but he later fell out with poroshenko, was fired, and had his ukrainian citizenship stripped, leaving him stateless again. the new ukrainian president gave him ukrainian citizenship again though. quite a tumultuous career! he speaks very good english though so he is beloved by western journalists and nato adjacent people.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh that’s fun

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

indigi posted:

he’s loving huge

they usually don't mention it because everyone was cool about it back then

this painting was actually true to size

he was just that big

you might see his mummy and think it is small, but that is because it was shrunk by revisionists

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The people i usually ask about this sort of stuff have been busy, so I'm going to submit this piece here and ask how baloney it is and how is it baloney: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-ban-video-games-featuring-095000133.html

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That came up in the games thread.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this doesn't seem to be actually legally binding and is apparently an advisory on "this is what a bunch of crusty old officials are annoyed by and what they think you should do" else they'd have already chopped off 15% of their entertainment industry overnight

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Kunster posted:

The people i usually ask about this sort of stuff have been busy, so I'm going to submit this piece here and ask how baloney it is and how is it baloney: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-ban-video-games-featuring-095000133.html

The SCMP piece it's quoting is a bit more level-headed, this appears to be sourced to a memo outlining topics to avoid by the games publishing watchdog.

The key issue is that pieces like these get picked up the Western press as a way to scaremonger attention away from bigger and more important issues.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3150622/new-game-approvals-dry-china-internal-memo-shows-developers-now-have

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

The SCMP piece it's quoting is a bit more level-headed, this appears to be sourced to a memo outlining topics to avoid by the games publishing watchdog.

The key issue is that pieces like these get picked up the Western press as a way to scaremonger attention away from bigger and more important issues.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3150622/new-game-approvals-dry-china-internal-memo-shows-developers-now-have

nothing happened from the last two, why would this one matter

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/AmbQinGang/status/1436094566940110856

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

not playing chess 3/10

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shared some fun stories about losing a war against the Vietnamese.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Did war criminal learned about the Taliban yet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

China didn't lose against Vietnam

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

neither did the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

China didn't lose against Vietnam

They had to threaten the USSR with nuclear war to keep them from helping the VPA and even then only barely managed to make it to the main gate of lang son before they decided to retreat and destroy everything on their way back. They sure as poo poo weren't going to make it to Hanoi