Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

It’s silly alright.

Tomorrow is check ride day, which makes tonight my least favorite night of the year. Feeling confident, did a mock oral today and did fine. My biggest worry is that the other guy is a button pusher sometimes without being a button thinker. Today he started giving me flight modes and autopilot on takeoff and I’m like “dude, stop, I’ll tell you what I want. We’re flying. It’s fine.”
Good luck on your checkride! You got this! :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It’d be cool if his grading as pilot flying/pilot monitoring were affected for random uncommanded button pressing and not yours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If he wasn’t a new hire at our company I would have asked the facility for an SIC. We’re reviewing this morning and I think he just tried to rote memorize every button press. He’s telling me not to forget to get the autopilot on asap and I’m like “wtf are you talking about. Don’t turn it on until I ask for it. Period.”

This is gonna be lame, I’m usually only worried about myself doing something bad on a check.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sounds like the scheduler saw you had a checkride and threw you a cinderblock. Nice of them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

If he wasn’t a new hire at our company I would have asked the facility for an SIC. We’re reviewing this morning and I think he just tried to rote memorize every button press. He’s telling me not to forget to get the autopilot on asap and I’m like “wtf are you talking about. Don’t turn it on until I ask for it. Period.”

This is gonna be lame, I’m usually only worried about myself doing something bad on a check.

Nothing is more awkward than absolutely acing a checkride when your sim partner is a lukewarm turd

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I wouldn't get too cocky just yet. I've gone into checkrides feeling strong only to have the "weaker" guy absolutely save my rear end from embarrassment. It still doesn't matter how well or poorly you do a pass is a pass

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good news! He was holding out on me until today. He was calm, cool and an awesome copilot. Completely immune to checkride-itis.

We both did well!

I can now fly French AND French Canadian airplanes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Good news! He was holding out on me until today. He was calm, cool and an awesome copilot. Completely immune to checkride-itis.

We both did well!

“We’ve got both kinds! French and French Canadian!”

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rolo posted:

We both did well!

Congrats! :toot:

Glad it all worked out with Mr Copilot.

turbulents
Jul 11, 2004
jump on it.

cigaw posted:

Haven't heard anything from Southern but I did get offers from Skywest and Endeavor, which is exciting! Wife and I are in for a long talk about bases and all that fun stuff.

ATP offered to recommend me to their partnership with Frontier but it means coughing up $18k out of pocket for an "enhanced CTP" with additional A320 sim time but: it doesn't confer the type rating, I already have an ATP/CTP complete and it's freaking $18k for a conditional job offer. I'm not entirely sure it's worthwhile and, even if it is, I don't think I can afford it anyway.

It is exciting to have a goal on sight, though!

Congrats on the offers! As someone still doing research about a pilot career, the ATP-Frontier program sounds interesting. How selective is it? I was leaning towards flight schools besides ATP, but if the chances of landing at Frontier at 1500 hours are good (and only possible through ATP?), I might have to consider it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So about how long does it take to get a feel for landings? My last two lessons have been nothing but touch-and-goes (2 hours, 18 landings total). I'd estimate my unassisted survival rate at maybe 75% and probably about 50/50 on if there's significant injury/damage to the aircraft if I did get it down on my own. I'm a little over 10 hours in to my training.

I can get around the pattern and line myself up on final alright but actually putting myself down on the runway and transitioning into a flare is... not so pretty. My CFI says I'm usually not pulling back enough and I'd most likely end up landing on the nosegear or even striking the prop. I guess it's a depth perception issue and I'm not getting a feel for how far I am above the runway and when my wheels will actually touch. Any helpful tips for that would be appreciated! :)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Hakarne posted:

So about how long does it take to get a feel for landings? My last two lessons have been nothing but touch-and-goes (2 hours, 18 landings total). I'd estimate my unassisted survival rate at maybe 75% and probably about 50/50 on if there's significant injury/damage to the aircraft if I did get it down on my own. I'm a little over 10 hours in to my training.

I can get around the pattern and line myself up on final alright but actually putting myself down on the runway and transitioning into a flare is... not so pretty. My CFI says I'm usually not pulling back enough and I'd most likely end up landing on the nosegear or even striking the prop. I guess it's a depth perception issue and I'm not getting a feel for how far I am above the runway and when my wheels will actually touch. Any helpful tips for that would be appreciated! :)
I struggled with landings WELL past 10 hours. I had several instructors and they all told me to “look down the runway”. And that was not working.

Right up until an instructor finally told me to “Look at the end of the runway” and since then I’ve had very smooth landings.

So anyway, don’t feel bad and also maybe just try looking at the end of the runway? IDK

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

dexter6 posted:

I struggled with landings WELL past 10 hours. I had several instructors and they all told me to “look down the runway”. And that was not working.

Right up until an instructor finally told me to “Look at the end of the runway” and since then I’ve had very smooth landings.

So anyway, don’t feel bad and also maybe just try looking at the end of the runway? IDK

Yeah I see a lot of "look down the runway" but I'll try looking at the end. Thanks!

And I actually don't feel bad really, I've been doing a bit better every time I go up and as long as I'm making forward progress I figure I'm doing ok. But I only get to go up once a week (which I know is less than optimal) so I try to think and square away as much as I can ahead of my flight.

Edit: And holy poo poo going from DCs with PNR only to the Bose A20s with ANR is a whole different world. I could actually make out what people were saying on the radio now and it has helped me feel way more confident with comms.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think it just kinda happens. I was flaring high, low, thunking it down, bouncing, landing flat, all that stuff and then one day it just clicked and I got it. (It took significantly longer than 10 hours to get there.)

Things that helped:

- once you cut the power you should be looking past the far end of the runway, eyes level on the horizon.

- put the top of the cowl a palm's width above the horizon, or on the tops of the trees in the distance or whatever, and hold it there. depending on your seat adjustment you may not be able to see the runway in front of you. that's fine. keep looking past the end of the runway. If you can't see the horizon or the cowl you should get a cushion or something.

- yoke only goes backwards in the flare. you can pull back steadily throughout the flare, or you can pull back and then hold it, wait, pull back some more, etc to keep the nose at the correct attitude. but never push it forwards.

- seriously keep the top of the cowl on the trees.

- use your peripheral vision to keep the plane lined up and on centerline. This is hard and takes practice.

- the plane will land itself when it's ready. don't try to force it down. Keep the nose attitude correct, keep your feet moving, just keep flying the plane down the runway nice and stable.

it will just happen eventually! keep at it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 28, 2021

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Hakarne posted:

I don't even need to turn my monitor off! Just under 6 hours in, and I suck at landing, as one would expect. We transit past a smaller airport on our way back home from the practice areas and have been doing a couple touch-and-go's there en route - I bounce the plane half the time, despite getting coached through it by my instructor the entire time. Definitely have the same issue with not pulling back enough while in the flare (You'd think the opposite would be a more common issue?) Alas, more practice!

Unfortunately the weather has been atrocious here. Only up once a week for the past two, and this next week isn't looking pretty either. I just want to fly drat it!

Also, hello aviation thread. Currently working on living that lifelong dream of being able to fly while not under maximum supervision. Half the time I forget I have rudder pedals.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
A post I made in another forum, that may or may not be your issues, but it's common issues.

---------

First, in the way of bad advice, to address one piece from this thread: it was mentioned that the ailerons' job is to keep the wing level, and this is not true. Their job is to maintain your straight-ahead track down the centerline, which may or may not mean keeping the wings level! Depending on crosswind (even tiny amounts, which change second to second) this will require small aileron inputs, resulting in barely-visible bank changes. Keeping the path straight with the ailerons, allows the rudder to do its job (which is completely separate and independent) of keeping the nose pointed straight (not the path, only the pointing).

If you do the incorrect thing and keep the wings level using the ailerons, this leaves both jobs of path and pointing to the rudder, which is often an impossible task to do both, and you have to choose one or the other. So the right way is ailerons to control path, and rudder to do the pointing. Now both tasks can be accomplished simultaneously.

Now for your landing question. Of course it's impossible to really see, but what I'm about to describe is a common issue, and the contradictory advice you quoted ("do not lift enough"/"lift too much") points to it. A lot of people are never taught what to actually look for/target in their flare, and are left to shoot in the blind with some sort of scripted sequence of increasing pull force, starting from a hopefully repeatable initial condition (flare height/speed, etc.) But if the initial condition varies even a tiny bit (say, arrived at the flare with a bit higher speed) or one of a number of other things varies later during the flare (catch a gust, or accidentally twitch your hand and pull more than you intended, etc.) that scripted pull sequence results in a balloon. Or, if the changes were the other way, you land too hard/early. How to react to that? If you were never taught what to target, and just do the monkey see/monkey do repetition thing, you've got no clue on how to improve. If you're observant and you think "I ballooned, I should flare less next time" that's a good mental attitude in observing the error and applying a correction for next time... but it's a naive reaction in this case, because the error was a result of a specific combination of the multitude of factors that was only in effect for THAT particular landing. And maybe in your next flare, you won't have that combination, or you'll have the opposite combination (you'll have too little speed where the last one had too much, or you'll catch a down gust where the last flare had an up gust.)

Another way to think of it is like this: Driving to work every day, do you stay on the road by memorizing every turn and turning the steering wheel by a scripted sequence of turns to match, which can be accomplished blindfolded if successful? Of course not, but the elevator equivalent to this, is too often the thing that pilots end up doing by being taught to "pull more/pull less" with no target reference.

So if you can't react to the last landing, and if the initial conditions don't allow for enough repeatability to do a scripted pull, then what do we do? Track a target! Namely, your height above the ground, which should always be decreasing and never increasing. And in the last few seconds, you can simplify away "not decreasing" to simply "flying constant height," (which does not mean constant attitude!) and it will come down and touch the ground anyway. You have to be constantly conscious of what's happening to your height, and constantly be making QUICK but SMALL corrections to what it's doing. If you start going down? Increase the pull. Stop going down at all? Or even worse, going up? Decrease the pull! These evaluations and corrections should be happening at least a few times per second. It may seem obvious, but it's not. So many times, the airplane will start ballooning up and up, and the student is oblivious and continues pulling, because that pull increase is part of their scripted sequence. It will never work. You have to be constantly and immediately RE-active to all these changes. To be clear, yes you should also try to give yourself the most repeatable starting conditions, but that, given all the possible following variations and upsets, will not nearly be enough. So you're not using a scripted sequence of turns on your steering wheel to match the road, but rather you're constantly watching how your actual position is doing compared to the desired position, and correcting accordingly.

Lastly, the "Rule #1" from a few posts up, which is woefully incomplete. It is BOTH a reading exercise and a brain-eye-hand-feet coordination exercise. If you're just out there shooting in the blind hoping for lucky results, and then trying to repeat those few diamonds in the rough, it's hopeless. You have to understand the concepts behind WHAT you're tracking and HOW you're tracking it, and internalize those into your brain (under the comfort and lack of competing tasks, of being outside the cockpit) for you to have a chance to then engage those concepts under the physical reality of actually doing it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
This can use a reposting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5HEJCyTuk

You say you can get around the pattern, but is it good? If you are high/low/fast/slow/too close/too far on the downwind, it's easy to carry that to the ground when you don't know how to fix it. Good landings start in the pattern.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

When I was learning to land I was absolutely thinking of it in terms of process steps (and those do exist) but once the shift in thinking to energy management took place it got way better. Hell all of my skills got way better once everything was rewired to think in those terms, and yours will too.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

yellowD posted:

When I was learning to land I was absolutely thinking of it in terms of process steps (and those do exist) but once the shift in thinking to energy management took place it got way better. Hell all of my skills got way better once everything was rewired to think in those terms, and yours will too.

This is the way. Once you develop an understanding of energy management and a sense for it, landing (and every maneuver) becomes more intuitive in every meaning of the word. You’ll be able to adapt to different situations, and this “sense” carries on from a Cessna all the way up to a Boeing 767. To this day I fly with people who never developed this sense, and they overcome that with rote practice of power settings, speeds, and angles. That seems like too much work to me and makes them less flexible when things get tricky.

The best advice I can give to develop this sense is to go out there on your solo time and land over and over at different speeds, flap settings, short approaches, wind conditions, and instead of trying to follow a strict step by step routine, just “use the force” and land the plane. Intentionally come in too fast and fix it. Intentionally come in slow and high and fix it. Fly a lot when there are crosswinds. Intentionally land with a tailwind. Keep it safe, but just put yourself in these situations until you can feel what energy the plane needs to be in. And don’t ever be afraid to go-around, in fact, learn to enjoy those.

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 28, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

To this day I fly with people who never developed this sense, and they overcome that with rote practice of power settings, speeds, and angles. That seems like too much work to me and makes them less flexible when things get tricky.

I work with numerous controllers that work traffic this way. Put them in a novel situation or give them unexpected traffic and the wheels come off the bus. Zero ability to adapt.

This is my annual plug for Stick and Rudder. Old, but still the best single book on flying that there is.

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MrYenko posted:

This is my annual plug for Stick and Rudder. Old, but still the best single book on flying that there is.

I appreciate these. I bought this last year on your recommendation, and it’s very good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

I work with numerous controllers that work traffic this way. Put them in a novel situation or give them unexpected traffic and the wheels come off the bus. Zero ability to adapt.

This along with The Killing Zone and Jeppesen Aviation Weather are my top three flying books for new and newish pilots.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Speaking of newish pilots, what’s a good read I could send a friend who wants to learn how to fly for fun but has a medical/medication history?

I’ve been lucky enough to get whatever medical I want so I’m way behind on any changes to the system for recreational pilots.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Throw in “Redefining Airmanship”.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Speaking of newish pilots, what’s a good read I could send a friend who wants to learn how to fly for fun but has a medical/medication history?

I’ve been lucky enough to get whatever medical I want so I’m way behind on any changes to the system for recreational pilots.

if he can’t get a medical there’s gliding and light sport, if he is determined to get a medical AOPA has services to help with that.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Landing is really hard until it gets really easy. everybody else already gave you discrete pieces of advice, but yeah expect to be terrible at it for a bit and then suddenly gain a sense for it (specifically energy management) and you'll grease em all.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

I'm also curious about this for a lapsed pilot that had their most recent medical <10yrs ago and then had a fun medication history.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Thank you for the great advice with landings, everyone. I have some great tips to try next time I go up!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just landed back home and the American captain got a little shoutout on the intercom and the 2 truck salute for his last flight.

So glad I finally got to witness one of these first hand. Probably my favorite tradition ever.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
That’s cool. It’s unfortunate that because of Covid so many pilots did not get the recognition they deserved when they retired.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Two Kings posted:

That’s cool. It’s unfortunate that because of Covid so many pilots did not get the recognition they deserved when they retired.

During the spring of 2020 a lot of our captains walked off their last flight not realizing that a combination of cancellations, leaves of absence, and early out offers meant it was their last flight. Kind of an anti-climactic end to what in some cases was a 40+ year career.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

expect to be terrible at it for a bit and then suddenly gain a sense for it (specifically energy management) and you'll grease em all.

Grease em all? How long does it take to get to that point? I have 5,000+ hours and still slam airplanes into runways every so often.

But seriously, landing is like riding a bicycle. It's confusing and frustrating to learn but then at some point it "clicks" for most people and suddenly they're able to do it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Grease em all? How long does it take to get to that point? I have 5,000+ hours and still slam airplanes into runways every so often.

I've got a little over 10k and still crunch it on every once in a while. I'll go through streaks of good to great landings and then have a period where they're all carrier landings. Not sure why that happens but it seems like a common thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just get a jet that gives radio altimeter calls down to 5.

Then slam it down anyways and go “well it’s a straight gear airplane it’s basically supposed to feel like that!”

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

any landing that the overheads don't blow open is a good one imo

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You’ll get generally better at things like landings and radio calls the more you fly but you’ll still prang it on every now and then or make a boneheaded radio call. Anything you’re bound to do at a high frequency is going to have a larger amount of errors.

Bad radio calls are almost a right of passage. And I’ve had a landing so hard it made a guy puke.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Bad radio calls are all but certain if you give me more than 2 commands and I have thousands of hours.

"turn 090"
got it.

"descend and maintain 5000 feet"
no problem.

"and contact tower 118.1"
I don't remember my own name.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oof yeah.

"N1234Z squawk 0523 contact NORCAL approach 125.35 oakland altimeter 3012"

better hope I had a pen in my hand

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Speaking of radio calls, anyone have experience with PilotEdge? We're looking into integrating it into at least one of our Sim courses (on the Redbird) because one thing we're finding is the flight school is doing a lovely job of getting the students confident in talking on the radio even going into Instrument.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Rolo posted:

Bad radio calls are all but certain if you give me more than 2 commands and I have thousands of hours.

"turn 090"
got it.

no problem.

I only nail these because I’ve been flight instructing out of the same airport for uh 1800 hours

might be time to do a different airplane job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

"turn 090"
got it.

no problem.

This is something I heavily discourage in my trainees. The instinct is get so into our own headspace that often we don’t realize that the pilots on the other end are doing other things while talking to us. Just because you can rip off a four part clearance with a reroute and holding instructions doesn’t mean you should. Personally, I stopped giving more than two elements at a time, and first-transmission comprehension shot waaaaaay up.