Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I genuinely don't see a way out at this point.

I'm... slightly less pessimistic, but only just. Your jurisdiction may differ, but here in Alberta, public health experts and other medical professionals have been howling for months (since we declared that we were "open for summer") exactly what we need to do to get out of this.

1) Vaccine passports to reduce risk and, more importantly, coerce vaccination
2) Masking
3) Acknowledgement of aerosol transmission, with mitigating measures designed accordingly
4) Test, trace, isolate
5) "Firebreak" lockdowns in areas where healthcare capacity is limited

We've been consistently behind the curve on 1 and 2, but we have them now in some form. 4 is severely lacking, such that our system can't reasonably be called TTI any more, but we are, technically speaking, testing symptomatic people and requiring them to isolate (contact tracing is not being done in any real sense, and asymptomatic testing of contacts or regular rapid testing is not happening at all). 3 and 5 are just being ignored entirely, but there's no actual reason we can't do them, it's just a refusal of those in power to do the thing that experts say must be done.

It's not hopeless, we do in fact have a very good idea of what needs to be done, we are just not doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

Given the fact that something like 10% of severe Covid patients have a rare genetic marker leading to interferon deficiency, I think using the term “young and healthy” as “safe from Covid” is inappropriate.

Yes?

If you have a rare genetic deficiency that makes the vaccine not work well for you then that makes this medicine a bigger deal for you than if you are a random guy who is well protected by the vaccine.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes?

If you have a rare genetic deficiency that makes the vaccine not work well for you then that makes this medicine a bigger deal for you than if you are a random guy who is well protected by the vaccine.

Certainly. I just think it’s inappropriate because the phrase makes many cavalier in their approach to Covid. There are many marked individuals who don’t yet know they’re marked.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

Certainly. I just think it’s inappropriate because the phrase makes many cavalier in their approach to Covid. There are many marked individuals who don’t yet know they’re marked.

The point is that as a very low risk person the logistics of you taking this is probably not very reasonable. So this is very unlikely to change your already low risk.

However, if you are someone with clear major risk factors this becomes a bigger deal, since it is a drug that effects the virus instead of a vaccine that relies on your own health. If you are very old, in a nursing home and an outbreak is happening the logistics of getting you this isn't unreasonable at all.

Like yes, both people in nursing homes AND random 20 somethings in good health both die from covid, it's true, but vastly more die in one group than the other, so something like this can have a major effect on mortality without being very useful for you specifically.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I genuinely don't see a way out at this point.

The only way out is through.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

this "way out" is to suffer and die, especially for the vulnerable, just fyi

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

Expand on this. What does this mean?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

We claw our way up to 90+% vaccination rate nationwide and worldwide over the course of a couple more years. I don't expect any radical changes with regards to NPIs from what's going on now. There will be no 'zero covid' in the future, set expectations accordingly.

That's my take anyway!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxZUyhmJiE

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

We claw our way up to 90+% vaccination rate nationwide and worldwide over the course of a couple more years. I don't expect any radical changes with regards to NPIs from what's going on now. There will be no 'zero covid' in the future, set expectations accordingly.

That's my take anyway!

What makes you think we get to 90%+

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

What makes you think we get to 90%+

the vaccine hesitant finishing their research

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Weld them into their homes until they're vaccinated. Personal choice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

brugroffil posted:

Weld them into their homes until they're vaccinated. Personal choice.

Me in 2020: The Chinese are welding people into their homes! This is horrible.
Me, now: The anti-vaxxers should be glad that we are just welding them into their homes.

Mind you I'm sure 2020-me/us would not have banked on a significant fraction of complete loving morons turning down an amazingly effective, safe, free vaccine.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Saw-style containment. But all they have to do is take a free vaccine administered by a medical professional.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Barring the ethical issues involved, you could distract them with a shiny object and/or right-wing propaganda rally and sneak up and vaccinate them and they wouldn't even notice lol.

Seriously, it was notably the least painful vaccination/needle I've ever had in my life, for both doses.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Any plan involving 90%+ vaxx rates at this point should definitely also include pro-welding arguments, there's just no other way it happens. We as a nation (in the US) are to the point that people are refusing rabies and tetanus shots and dying insanely horrible deaths as a result because of their "sincerely held beliefs" or "need to do their own research"

More realistically, we're a couple years away from this fading into the background so get used to making NPIs a regular part of your life if you don't want to start rolling the dice. Compared to previous outbreaks we are very, very lucky in that the mRNA moonshot paid off and God willing that will reduce it to maybe *just* another year and a half. On the plus side, regular masking during predictable disease seasons is trivially easy and also insulates you against a whole host of other unpleasant things to get

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
China welding people in their houses pretty much never happened. It was a specific video where a couple ran from quarantine and the local police in the small town they ran to sealed some of the doors on a building so they could have a single entrance and exit for the building. It was also immediately deemed illegal by the chinese government and was undone. It was never any sort of actual chinese policy, it was a thing a guy did one time. It is brought up a lot because it helps the fiction that china beat this through evil means (either to be against a cartoonishly brutal china, or to be weirdly pro a more brutal america)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

China welding people in their houses pretty much never happened. It was a specific video where a couple ran from quarantine and the local police in the small town they ran to sealed some of the doors on a building so they could have a single entrance and exit for the building. It was also immediately deemed illegal by the chinese government and was undone. It was never any sort of actual chinese policy, it was a thing a guy did one time. It is brought up a lot because it helps the fiction that china beat this through evil means (either to be against a cartoonishly brutal china, or to be weirdly pro a more brutal america)

Yeah I've always assumed it was sort of a shorthand for more central or strictly enforced measures, I probably should've been less glib

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, I mean the obvious answer all along was: they were semi-permanently closing some exits so that they could quarantine the buildings more effectively under guard. Even that seemed unnecessarily harsh at the time, but now it's like... I get it. Some motherfuckers just want to ice-skate uphill.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epic High Five posted:

Any plan involving 90%+ vaxx rates at this point should definitely also include pro-welding arguments, there's just no other way it happens. We as a nation (in the US) are to the point that people are refusing rabies and tetanus shots and dying insanely horrible deaths as a result because of their "sincerely held beliefs" or "need to do their own research"

The OSHA vaccine mandate should close a lot of the gap, coupled with developing FTC enforcement on people profiting from antivax.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

The OSHA vaccine mandate should close a lot of the gap, coupled with developing FTC enforcement on people profiting from antivax.

It's doing a lot of work, not gonna lie. One of the universal constants in these things that is frustratingly ignored by the broader media is that for every 200 people who say they will be fired rather than get a vaxx, maybe 1 is actually willing to follow through on it. The problem is, as so many other things come to, the lack of universality and the fact that states can do whatever they want in our insanely stupid and backwards system.

It'll close a lot of the gap, but up to 90% I don't see it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh 60 people out of 30,000 got fired because they refused? Get ready to hear from each of them on the media circuit going forward, same as what happened to NPR in 2016 about Trump voters

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epic High Five posted:

It's doing a lot of work, not gonna lie. One of the universal constants in these things that is frustratingly ignored by the broader media is that for every 200 people who say they will be fired rather than get a vaxx, maybe 1 is actually willing to follow through on it. The problem is, as so many other things come to, the lack of universality and the fact that states can do whatever they want in our insanely stupid and backwards system.

It'll close a lot of the gap, but up to 90% I don't see it

The OSHA mandate overrides the states, there's no federalism loophole. What we're seeing so far is before the rule's even published or OSHA starts enforcing. I have no idea if it will hit the arbitrary 90% threshold, but as vaccination gets aggressively normalized, the underlying social pressures get harder to reverse. Republicans at the federal level are already generally going quiet on vaccination, because they can see what way things are going.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh 60 people out of 30,000 got fired because they refused? Get ready to hear from each of them on the media circuit going forward, same as what happened to NPR in 2016 about Trump voters

Difficult to say, but I think the coverage will be less...pseudo-neutral this time around. Even fox doesn't directly play to the antivax movement, so sympathetic play will mostly come from the right fringe. Remember that even pre-pandemic, the corrective response to wakefield already ingrained a pretty strongly negative image of the antivax movement among the press. These are "florida man" pieces more than human interest pieces; antivaxxers might get quoted, but it's more to report on the absurdity of them.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 3, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

The OSHA mandate overrides the states, there's no federalism loophole. What we're seeing so far is before the rule's even published or OSHA starts enforcing. I have no idea if it will hit the arbitrary 90% threshold, but as vaccination gets aggressively normalized, the underlying social pressures get harder to reverse. Republicans at the federal level are already generally going quiet on vaccination, because they can see what way things are going.

I genuinely hope it's enough. I wish I could say more with confidence at this point because lord knows it'd be great for my own mental well being, but basically yeah I can just hope and that whenever it's approved for kids undercuts the school board takeovers chuds have been doing lately on similar grounds. I'm not happy that where I'm at is "wear mask for next 3 years" but it is what it is and it's not like masking is a huge burden, maybe if I wasn't a fat goon with friends who had died from this I'd be more cavalier but it ain't the case

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Is there a summary anywhere of what the exemption process looks like/is required by the courts to look like for different types of vaccine mandates?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

poll plane variant posted:

Is there a summary anywhere of what the exemption process looks like/is required by the courts to look like for different types of vaccine mandates?

Federally I believe it's "get vaxxed or get tested weekly" but once you get state level it gets a lot more complicated. I'd be interested in this as well

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Embrace your impending death :)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's no single source for this as there are different vaccine mandate authorities invoked for different situations. NCSL maintains a listing for non-medical exemptions for student vaccinations at this address.

However, please note this is not related to COVID vaccinations. It's specifically school vaccinations, and a vaccination mandate for covid may see rapid changes in any exemption systems.

The OSHA mandate on COVID vaccinations has not been published yet; we do not know what exemptions it will have, although there will virtually certainly be a medical one. The weekly testing element that is planned as an alternate is likely intended so that there is no need for a less onerous religious or philosophical exemption.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 3, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The refrain we've been hearing up here re: medical exemptions is that they can only be due to myocarditis post first dose or allergic reactions to an ingredient in a vaccine, but that's in the context of non-essential activities and not employment, I could see things like chemotherapy treatments being a legit exemption if it's something with a bit more importance than eating indoors at a restaurant.

(Chemo patients can get the vaccine, but if they're actively being treated the recommendation is they adjust their schedule or wait until a round of treatment is done - again, not a big deal for non-essential stuff, but maybe a bigger one for employment).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Iron Crowned posted:

Embrace your impending death :)

*glances around at every facet of my lifestyle* Hmm . . . gonna need you to be more specific there, champ. :v:

For thread content: Are OTC self-test kits a thing? Do they return results instantly? The reason I'm asking is that my brother is coming to visit in a couple weeks and I was gonna have him crash here. However, part of the reason for his visit is to go to a wedding and I'm . . . not sure how I feel about that. He's vaxxed, my wife and I are vaxxed, but my little one isn't yet (for obvious reasons) so I'm still searching for some comfort here.

As far as precautions go, my brother pretty much only hangs out with a small circle of people, and he is diligent about wearing masks and stuff. He specifically got some N95s for the trip (at my request), and has offered to wear a mask in my apartment the whole time he's here. (When the windows are open, this apartment actually has some incredibly good airflow, and mid-October should be prime Windows Open season, so that will help). We have also secured alternative arrangements for him to spend the night at if he thinks I would consider the wedding "unsafe" (poor mask compliance, people being dumb as poo poo, etc.).

Thinking more on it, though, I'm wondering how good the test kits are and if I couldn't just be like "Here, I got 3 of 'em for the 3 days after the wedding, just so we can be sure!" but I'm not sure if it would work like that . . . would they be any good in the first 3 days after a potential exposure? Should I even really BE worried about the first 3 days after a potential exposure? (That is to say, even if he WAS exposed, would it have to incubate in his face-holes for awhile before he'd be a concern to my family?)

Of course, thinking about this even further . . . holes in our faces were, in retrospect, a terrible idea and I have issues with whoever engineered this house of cards that is my meat-frame.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OTC self-test kits are available from most chain drugstores. Here's the current CDC guidance.

Generally tests are less accurate earlier after exposure. Error is also structured in tests, so repeatedly taking the same test doesn't necessarily offer all that much more certainty. I can't speak further to specifics.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
I’ve taken the OTC Ellume test a couple times—don’t know if there’s been improvements but as of the last couple months it was the only OTC that could get you pretty solid results on negatives without having to re-test 48 hours later.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

poll plane variant posted:

I know you're talking about America but I found this to be an interesting read of an (unsuccessful) attempt by an aged care worker in Australia to wriggle out of a vaccine mandate and how the conversation around that might play out more broadly going ahead:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/russell-marks/2021/29/2021/1632887437/when-two-rights-make-wrong#mtr

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Re: the strength of the mandates

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1444438002999218179

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I need a good mask to go to a convention for work. It's in a couple of months time, and everyone there will be vaccinated and masked, but I want to be as protected as possible.

Things I need are:

1. To be as protected as possible
2. To not look like a weirdo in a Gordon Freeman hazard suit (probably not that big a deal as everyone there will be masked anyway but I'd be lying if I was to say aesthetics didn't matter at all)
3. To be able to get the mask in the UK

Anyone got good suggestions?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gort posted:

I need a good mask to go to a convention for work. It's in a couple of months time, and everyone there will be vaccinated and masked, but I want to be as protected as possible.

Things I need are:

2. To not look like a weirdo in a Gordon Freeman hazard suit (probably not that big a deal as everyone there will be masked anyway but I'd be lying if I was to say aesthetics didn't matter at all)

black kn95 maybe, from a vetted source (see first post)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gort posted:

Things I need are:

Screwfix.com lists 3M Aura 9322. The fit on those is good for me. They’re valved, so you may have to wear another mask over them.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've heard so many people arguing that for every 100 crybabies who kick up a stink about how they'll quit if a mandate comes in only 1 will do it, and lol that it's actually even lower than that

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

freebooter posted:

I've heard so many people arguing that for every 100 crybabies who kick up a stink about how they'll quit if a mandate comes in only 1 will do it, and lol that it's actually even lower than that

Probably the only people who can actually do this would retire anyway. If the job you just quit has a mandate, probably a lot of the jobs you'd be trying to get to replace it do too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Screwfix.com lists 3M Aura 9322. The fit on those is good for me. They’re valved, so you may have to wear another mask over them.

There's non valve Aura 9205's generally available at hardware stores