Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seafoam will happen tomorrow.

Motronic, the intake has been replaced at... uh.. some point, with a Dorman intake. I'll have to look into the EGR situation, but it was pinging both right off the line and under WOT+high RPM, and only started after new plugs in the proper heat range and a good bit of driving.

The old plugs weren't original (they would be the proper OEM plugs, if this was the CNG version of the car), and were one heat range colder than stock. This was a small town police car - that town doesn't have speed limits over 35-40 (drops to 35 just past a 55 sign, of course), and no highways (just the farm to market road going through town), so plenty of opportunity for carbon. I'm not sure if it was a city or county vehicle, but I do know it never had a cage, did have a light bar, and every inch of equipment was removed from it (usually at least spots and computer console mounts are left behind - they didn't even leave any wiring). I've driven through there a few times - population is roughly 6500-7000, cops mostly sit in the grocery store parking lot and tag people for going 3 over (also right at the speed limit sign when it drops from 55). Autocheck shows some work being done by the local Ford dealer (TBH I'm surprised they even have any new car lots in town), but it looks like it was just recalls and state inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Are you still running the OE Holley? 2210?

I'm running the same one it came with, which I'm not sure if it's original or was replaced long ago. It's a 2300. Or some specific model of that that I can't recall but not a 2210.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That's a good carb for em. I like the 2300. I'd have thought it would have a 2210 from the factory but the older trucks did have 2300 and the 2210 is largely and deservedly hated. Some people would be tempted then to slap the bigger 500CFM 2300 on em which makes a pain in the rear end to tune. The 350cfm unit is the one to have. List 7448 I think these days, but there's been a bunch of em over the years.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On todays episode of blackmk4 is an idiot

Got the M3 ABS unit wired into the Miata and all of the plumbing done except one rear line that I need to get under the car for. It turns out I hate brake lines and will be redoing them once I'm not under a time crunch.

We have a good INPA connection over the ABS unit OBD port and I verified all of the sensors are reading properly. Thank the baby jesus.

VIN says it came out of an 03 titansilber 6psd convertible :rip:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I made it to tailgate AND BACK HOME. Starter is definitely done, I have like a dozen starts left on it now. Turn key, click. Turn key, click. Turn key, turn over.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finally got enough time to test the new 3-in-1 quick detailer from Mike Kojima (of primarily MotoIQ fame). It doesn't handle brake dust as well as advertised. Certainly isn't a replacement for Iron-X but as a 2-in-1, hell yeah. This stuff is awesome.

Link for reference: https://www.zkperformance.com/collections/automotive

I am not looking forward to the sheer surface area of the F-150...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

I put a solid 25 miles on the Binder. Made a round trip to wash the windshield and rinse it off, got lunch, and back home where it died as I was reversing it. IR temp gun had the fuel bowl at a toasty 145° F. I picked up a starter heat shield and put it between the carburetor and the thermostat/upper rad hose neck and things seem to be better, I put the bulk of the miles on after that. I was in a lot of conditions that have caused it to die in the past, warmed up and hot and then stopped at a light for a while using little gas where the bowl just boils off, and I got home without issue.

I also took a minute to check the carb settings, I had the dash pot way too low, idle was being set by the fast idle cam, not the dash pot where it should. Then I set the idle again, then set the fast idle cam and straightened a section out that had bent and it wasn't lining up. Tuned the mix screws according to the vac gage. Having the dash pot set right does make a noticible difference when I drive, it's a bit smoother when I let off the pedal.

Reasons 431-437 I hate carburetors.
The cab on my AE86 loves to heat soak and boil the float bowl dry after driving. Freakin non-crossflow engines. Let's put the hottest thing on the car right underneath the thing with the volatile liquid in it.
The new electric fuel pump helps with that. A heat shield would probably also help - I imagine it had one from the factory.

All I did on the RX-7 is paint or plate a few more things.

(bonus doggo)

Motronic posted:

I don't know if tht configuration of the motor has the same EGR issues my pickup did, but it would ping like a MF, especially on "winter gas", under load until I pulled off the upper intake and hammered the carbon out of the EGR passages on what seemed like a yearly basis. (it was probably longer than that, but I owned that truck for a long time)

The EGR on these isn't too bad - it's right at the throttle body rather than being behind the engine with a foot of hoses. They did make it a module, instead of three separate components, so it's $200 any time any part of it shits the bed...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those plated things look really nice, how did you do that? Sorry if I've missed you posting about it before

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BlackMK4 posted:

Those plated things look really nice, how did you do that? Sorry if I've missed you posting about it before

Oh man you are in for a journey.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good thing I'm supposed to be working :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BlackMK4 posted:

Good thing I'm supposed to be working :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838374&pagenumber=31&perpage=40&userid=0#post514132312

I think this is the first mention of plating in his thread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Thank you, I appreciate it. RIP to my day

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I swapped out my single stage intake manifold for a three stage manifold and replaced the oil filter housing gasket. This necessitated changing the oil and the coolant as well. It took me the entire day but I got it done. I only needed to replace one coolant flange that broke unexpectedly and the BMW shop in a corn filled around the corner had one so that didn't hold me up too much.

The BMW N52 has an electric fuel pump and I learned that it has an "auto bleed sequence" that it runs when prompted after the coolant has been changed.

I'm taking it this weekend to have it tuned/flashed. I'm still dumbfounded that even with my hack skills I was able to fire it up without generating a single code.

Starting the day.

Single stage out, three stage in.

Shiny

Taking it down.

All back together and bleeding coolant.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Installed a hitch on my '07 WRX. Long overdue. Only broke one bolt! :v:

I bought extended exhaust hangers, but the geometry isn't right to fit all three of them simultaneously. The front hanger is fine, the left and right muffler hanger points are at different heights and compressing/stretching them to match doesn't help. Using one stock hanger on the left side of the muffler works, but then the exhaust rests on the bar. Another option would be ditching the right muffler hanger and using extended hangers for the other two, but I think I'd rather wait and see whether it rattles first. 7/10 experience, looking forward to launching bicycle parts all over the highway and regaining the use of my trunk during the summers.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 29, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I swapped out my single stage intake manifold for a three stage manifold and replaced the oil filter housing gasket. This necessitated changing the oil and the coolant as well. It took me the entire day but I got it done. I only needed to replace one coolant flange that broke unexpectedly and the BMW shop in a corn filled around the corner had one so that didn't hold me up too much.

The BMW N52 has an electric fuel pump and I learned that it has an "auto bleed sequence" that it runs when prompted after the coolant has been changed.

I'm taking it this weekend to have it tuned/flashed. I'm still dumbfounded that even with my hack skills I was able to fire it up without generating a single code.

Starting the day.

Single stage out, three stage in.

Shiny

Taking it down.

All back together and bleeding coolant.

Very nice!

I did the 3 stage swap the first time, and without my Dad's well lit garage and tool supply, paid a shop to do the second one. I like my current car, but definitely have a soft spot for the N52 in the E90

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Very nice!

I did the 3 stage swap the first time, and without my Dad's well lit garage and tool supply, paid a shop to do the second one. I like my current car, but definitely have a soft spot for the N52 in the E90

Thanks!

TBH I called the local indy for a quote to do all of this and I never heard back from them. So I don’t know if they were just busy or didn’t want to do it. The intake had been on sitting on my bench for over a year so I had a day off and gorgeous weather so I said carpe diem and ripped into it.

Did you have an auto or both manuals? I’m waiting to here back from the tune shop if they can also do something to take some of the tragic out of my automatic.

Driving E36M3 and the E90 back to back is mind boggling. They both have similar numbers in terms of speed and power but feel very different to drive.

I’m hopeful that the intakes pushes it from just adequate over to at least entertaining power.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Both manuals. The 06 was lighter due to no power seats, I miss that car. I don't know that xhp works for the older autos unfortunately.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I guess it was about time to change the serpentine belt on the S2000. It’s only 20 years old, why can’t we make things that last anymore?

Old and busted

New standard-ness

Probably the easiest serp belt I’ve ever done. Nothing in front of the pulleys to get in the way.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 29, 2021

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was gonna say....looks like it was pretty accessible, at least :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It really me doing anything but went over my engine and heads for the Pontiac. After going back and forth on do I want a roots blower, centrifugal blower or turbos I decided to go roots style after finding one trick that The Blower Shop et al hate. Buying a remanufactured 8/71 for $500 and swapping out the rotor bearings for higher speed ones. Going with forged pistons and rods but keeping the original crank as picked up a 400 with a steel factory crank. It is not going to be making insane power with crazy boost but making sure the rings are gapped correctly and having a hole tapped on the high pressure oil side for a accusump. Due to this being the Covid times it will be well into next year before it is done which gives me time to get everything else squared away and run the 350 I have in it for a while.

Junk yard Poncho 400 was $650 with machine work, parts and labor will come in about $4000, blower, upgrades, intake, accessory drive etc… is about another $3000 to put in a ratty old $3000 dollar car.

I am well into the don’t add up the costs part of the project but when it is done everything apart from the sheet metal and interior will be new.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Thanks for looking out, StormDrain!
Close enough. I actually did some trial plating in a big peanut butter jar somewhere earlier in the thread. I just recently stripped some of that hardware and redid it. This would be the first plating with the big tank and a proper power supply. It can be done with a pickle jar and a wall wart, but you have to do smaller bits. Current is important in this. Cleanliness, too!
If you only want to do a few bolts and small parts, the pickle jar setup works fine - just be sure your wall-wart is reasonably beefy. It takes 80-140ma/sq. in. to plate properly. Getting in recesses and inside corners is sometimes problematic, but usually solvable via placement of the electrodes.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but be aware all of my knowledge comes from the internet, and loving things up (which is, after all, how one learns...)

Geeze, was that really just April? Feels like I've been refurbishing stuff for a decade...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had the same reaction, your plating posts were long and information rich on something I knew nothing about, I started at page 10. Always nice to look back and see that you made a ton of progress in a half year.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
i love this thread and keeping up with everyone's projects that never make it to a thread of their own. ive had plenty of content to post, but most of it is boring or tedius stuff, but today is different because i got the front wheels back on the ground after a couple months of slowly rebuilding most of the brakes, suspension, and steering bits. feels good. i was able to get the car turned around so i've got a better spot to work, closer to the garage, to tackle the rear brakes.

those beige calipres are looking real nice peaking out from behind them crusty rusty old steelies

yum

also i walk by this car every day and this is the first i noticed this small and understated sticker in one of the rear windows

staying true to its ethos i suppose

stone soup fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 30, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Swapped the test pipe in the S2000 for a Berk high flow cat unit.

Left to right - Test pipe, Berk HFC, factory cat

And installed. The Berk unit let me use the OEM oxygen sensor clip above the trans mount, which is a bonus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Excellent choice :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Excellent choice :)

Thanks. I got the 70mm unit to match the exhaust but the 63mm would have probably been enough for my mod level - header, exhaust, K&N FIPK and GReddy eManage with a tune.

Edit: After discovering that my header is the 70mm Invidia Equal Length, I’m glad I got the 70mm HFC.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 2, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I had the same reaction, your plating posts were long and information rich on something I knew nothing about, I started at page 10. Always nice to look back and see that you made a ton of progress in a half year.

Thanks, man. The plating, and the engine bay paint coming out so well are my favorite bits of the project so far. Those two things injected so much, I don’t know, energy into the project. I try to keep some of that momentum by just doing *something* every week. I think I may tackle that rust on the drivers floor next. That rust really ticks me off.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Both manuals. The 06 was lighter due to no power seats, I miss that car. I don't know that xhp works for the older autos unfortunately.

I didn’t know this was a thing. I looked into it but it appears that they dont’t touch the GM 6 speed…which I have.

I got the 330i tune put on yesterday. I’m am underwhelmed. I was expecting something more on the butt dyno going from 234 to 270hp. For another$150 bucks they will add their own tune to it which adds another 20hp and some more torques

Reserving this spot to add some photos of the shop later.

E:

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 3, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oil change on my wife's car which is generally unremarkable except when I got to the filter and saw the last time I was down there was last November. Considering she used to have a 40 mile commute that dropped to zero I didn't realize how much we had saved in use on it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

StormDrain posted:

Oil change on my wife's car which is generally unremarkable except when I got to the filter and saw the last time I was down there was last November. Considering she used to have a 40 mile commute that dropped to zero I didn't realize how much we had saved in use on it.

Maybe you should go down on your wife more often, man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

chrisgt posted:

Maybe you should go down on your wife more often, man.

It's just so much setup, the gloves, the neck strain, and of course the cleanup. I used up a whole pack of shop rags!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rescued it from storage at my other property.

Had help washing the first layer of grime off.

I swear it's cleaner!

He wanted to wash his car too.

I've posted this car but it's been years. I haven't driven it in 3 years, just haven't had time since my son was born.

The rundown: 1968 Mercury Monterey fastback. X-code 390 (10.5:1 compression!), Performer RPM intake with 600 CFM Edelbrock tuned with datalogged wideband, leaks and burns oil like a sieve. Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks and springs custom valved for this application with full poly bushings. It's dropped approximately 4" with Aero D-Window wheels, 275/50 -15 Mickey Thompson tires. I had to change the fronts back to stock because of clearance issues--I'm going to get some 245s for the front. Some day.

I hope to get it running soon. It needs a fuel pump and a carburetor cleaned at the bare minimum, and a new fan shroud or electric conversion because the last time I drove it, stuff got hot. Also, the exhaust got crunched getting winched backwards through a ditch, the passenger side downpipe is a Z. It needed replaced anyway. I want to fab up a NASCAR-style side exit to complement the wheels and back glass, I envision a 60's NASCAR look for this thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

wallaka posted:

The rundown: 1968 Mercury Monterey fastback. X-code 390 (10.5:1 compression!), Performer RPM intake with 600 CFM Edelbrock tuned with datalogged wideband, leaks and burns oil like a sieve. Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks and springs custom valved for this application with full poly bushings. It's dropped approximately 4" with Aero D-Window wheels, 275/50 -15 Mickey Thompson tires. I had to change the fronts back to stock because of clearance issues--I'm going to get some 245s for the front. Some day.

The wheels (rear), ride height and "patina" :discourse:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, get it running, fix what’s broken, but don’t touch the paint.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

This.

Also do a thread

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Re-greased the S2000 shifter. It’s a fiddly but easy job, however I’m not certain there’s any tactile difference sitting still. Maybe when driving. The old grease was pretty well past its usable life so no harm in doing it anyway.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I think I will continue posting updates about my poo poo Focus here instead of the hot hatch thread. As it is currently not hot at all.

Last update:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556665&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=341#post518073437

This weekend I continued trying to start the SVT Focus. On Saturday I ended up with some 5 year old "gas" all over my face and eyes, we determined that everything sucks in general, and I was a fool to buy this thing.

That being said, today I swapped out the plugs, wires, ignition coil, and dug into the intake system which made absolutely no difference in starting the car!

Upon further research, the SVTF comes with a dual stage intake manifold which is actuated by an electric motor and cable when the engine reaches ~5100 RPM to change between the long and short runners inside of it. I discovered the PO, or PPO, had performed the "screw mod" in an attempt to re-attach the IMRC (intake manifold runner cable) back to the DSI (dual stage intake) actuator, with poor results.

As the OEM part here is plastic it was known to fail almost right from the start back in 2002/3, so it is always stuck in the open position for high RPM as the typical failure mode. There was a company that produced billet aluminum replacement parts for this particular piece and I managed to source a used one from the Facebook group, as well as a "new" one from an overseas eBay auction today. We will see which one works better / arrives first and I will hopefully pass on the 2nd to another SVTF owner if it works correctly.

But the faulty IMRC alone wouldn't cause my starting issues, it would just cause the car to run poorly at all RPMs but it should still start and idle/drive in the stuck position. At this point, after consulting with several goons and some older folks on the SVT Facebook groups, it looks like I have to replace the fuel pump, which was also used by the SVT Mustang community back in its heyday as it was/is an excellent fuel pump. So hopefully I have found one that is now also on the way and will, eventually, get this thing running!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New Acuity shifter cable bushings on the EP3. Took longer for the install PDF to load on my phone than it did to actually install these.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

MrYenko posted:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New Acuity shifter cable bushings on the EP3. Took longer for the install PDF to load on my phone than it did to actually install these.

Hell yeah, Acuity makes the best shifter parts, I highly recommend them every time I can. Excellent shifters, shifter upgrades, and generally nice people to work with if you have custom requests.

I received the OEM shift knob and boot for my poo poo Focus from eBay just now! Also expecting the new fuel pump tomorrow and the DSI lever from one or both sources later this week.

The replacement boot/knob (which actually is still in really good condition):

What is currently there:

Plan is to figure out how to take out the seats and center console then clean Clean CLEAN! It looks awful in there!