Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aranan posted:

Bring back Final Fortune.

They did. It's white now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Oh nooooo

People are giving us so much moneeeeeeee

Maybe we should never do this again!

What are we gonna do with all this moneeeeeee

nobody can give anyone money, the servers are busted

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

do vardik astral archmage and storm skreelix reduce the cost of flashbacked spells?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

do vardik astral archmage and storm skreelix reduce the cost of flashbacked spells?

Yep

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

nobody can give anyone money, the servers are busted

The marketing guy who can bring down the sales infrastructure gets a raise

The IT guy gets more budget and then maybe replaced

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

played in my LGS's FNM swiss draft and went 3-0 with a dimir zombie deck

i got lucky because at least 3 other people were trying to play blue. I only stayed on blue because i picked up patrician geist in my first pack and was looking for spirits with azorius but i couldn't get many after my pack came back... so i ended up going blue/black. didn't even end up playing the geist. i think once i got dreadhound around P2P3/4 and a morbid opportunist i pretty much committed to playing the colors. picking up 2 organ hoarders was a nice bonus and is such a powerful card...

My main deck was
2 Falcon Abomination
2 Organ Hoarder
2 Morbid Opportunist
1 Ghoulish Procession
1 Diregraf Horde
1 Siege Zombie
1 Dreadhound
2 Delver of Secrets
2 Rotten Reunions
1 Corpse Cobble
The rest were either more zombie generators or bounce/counterspells that also gave me zombies.

First match was against a similar U/B deck but he apparently took a ton of the counterspells.. we actually drew 1-1 and then rolled 2d6 for the win because our time had run out. Second match was against gruul werewolves and Third Match was against azorius coven/spirit deck.

really helped that I got Delver in my hand a couple of times early on but the biggest thing was I was able to play dreadhound in almost all my matches, I only didn't get to play it in my last match because my opponent conceded before I could cast it on the next turn... once that comes into play and you have a whole bunch of zombies they have to deal with both the dreadhound and with the decaying zombies.

U/B is so strong, especially blue. my last opponent actually drafted jadar (which if i had gotten would have been crazy) but my deck w/ diregraf horde/rotten corpse/and a couple other blue spells that made zombies were more than enough

i was actually hoping i'd be able to get a Lier, Disciple of the Drowned and maybe get a blue/red izzet deck going. i also watched a youtube vod yesterday where the guy drafted U/G, had Lier and drafted like 6 might of the old ways and actually seemed to do pretty well since all the flashback costs were so cheap.. green seemed to be really ignored.

i'm sure this is all well known and boring to most since you guys/gals play arena but i'm actually pumped that 1: i was able to draft U/B and 2: have it end up working so well after reading about it and doing mock drafts.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

i never understood why they continue to make "take another turn" cards without some kind of penalty or downside.. (besides mana cost)

What did Karn's Temporal Sundering and Part the Waterveil do?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Part the Waterveil was fun in Modern.

I mean it was a terrible deck but it was fun to play.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

played in my LGS's FNM swiss draft and went 3-0 with a dimir zombie deck

Congrats, that's rad.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Black feels so busted in this draft set. Also worlds will be so loving boring since its gonna just be time walk mirrors I assume

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, what's the logic for making a spell have two mana pips rather than one? Is a monster that's 1gg more often more powerful than a monster that's 2g? Or is there something else that determines extra pips in a mana cost?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

So, what's the logic for making a spell have two mana pips rather than one? Is a monster that's 1gg more often more powerful than a monster that's 2g? Or is there something else that determines extra pips in a mana cost?

A more restrictive mana cost would imply a more powerful card, yes. Something that costs 1GG is significantly more difficult to cast on curve if you're running a multicolor deck, rather than one that costs 2G.

Gigantosaurus comes to mind. A 10/10 for 5 mana sounds absolutely absurd, but it's actual cost is GGGGG, which wouldn't be reasonable to put in anything but a monogreen deck.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 3, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

thetoughestbean posted:

Compare:

Old-Growth Troll is a 4/4 with Trample that ramps you when it dies and can give you a 4/4 with Trample later
Kazandu Mammoth is a conditional 5/5 that is also a tapland
Briarbridge Tracker is a condition 4/3 with Vigilance

Eej fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 3, 2021

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

thetoughestbean posted:

Here is a mathematical perspective on this.

To summarise using the above examples. 11 of your lands must tap for green to have a reasonable expectation of meeting the colour pip requirement for Briarbridge Tracker on turn 3. For Kazandu Mammoth this rises to 18, and for Old-Growth Troll it rises to 23.

You can print a card at GGG or 1GG safe in the knowledge that a smaller percentage of builds will reasonably be able to run it than if it cost 2G and that its effect will be isolated from coexisting with say, 1BB and 1RR cards in the same deck or at least that decks trying to do that will have a built-in failure rate where they can't cast some of their more powerful cards some of the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If I copy Memory Deluge with Galvanic Iteration is "X" for "the amount of mana spent to cast this spell" 0 for the copy, or is it the same as the original cast? I think the answer is the latter but I don't really understand why.

edit: also it feels a little sloppy having Magecraft ("whenever you cast or copy...") stuff mixed up in Standard with cards like Poppet Stitcher that have similar triggers but don't care about copies. Just ran into a guy on MTGA with a very cool izzet brew where he clearly was not aware of that non-interaction either :(

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 3, 2021

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Magecraft is the odd one out in that respect and it enabled some new combos with really old cards.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=chain%20of%20smog

Most of the time they don't count copies.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

goferchan posted:

If I copy Memory Deluge with Galvanic Iteration is "X" for "the amount of mana spent to cast this spell" 0 for the copy, or is it the same as the original cast? I think the answer is the latter but I don't really understand why.

edit: also it feels a little sloppy having Magecraft ("whenever you cast or copy...") stuff mixed up in Standard with cards like Poppet Stitcher that have similar triggers but don't care about copies. Just ran into a guy on MTGA with a very cool izzet brew where he clearly was not aware of that non-interaction either :(

The reason is that rule 707.10 says that when you copy a spell or ability, you copy all choices made while casting it. Mana costs paid, values for x, modes, targets, kicker, just about anything about the original spell copies over.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

thetoughestbean posted:

The really short, tl;dr: is that a more restrictive cost is harder to cast, so in theory it has a higher ceiling for power (as a type of risk vs reward). It's a balancing knob that they can tune while designing cards.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Stab posted:

The reason is that rule 707.10 says that when you copy a spell or ability, you copy all choices made while casting it. Mana costs paid, values for x, modes, targets, kicker, just about anything about the original spell copies over.

Gotcha, figured there was a specific rule to it, thank you!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Of course there can be ways to cheat costs like lotus cobra or reanimation or Lukka or whatever, and sometimes those cheats end up making cards too good, so they still have to be careful about it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just noticed that Crimson Vow's release date is November 19th, which is the date the big Vegas modern event starts, does that mean it will be modern legal if you can somehow get the cards for it that morning. I might be overthinking, but one if my options is vampire tribal who should get goodies

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

And give us a RR instant "if your opponent takes an extra turn after this one, instead you win the game".

This reminded me of Writ of Accountability, the most Decipher-est card ever printed

Wizards may have some design issues but, uh, nothing like Decipher did

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just noticed that Crimson Vow's release date is November 19th, which is the date the big Vegas modern event starts, does that mean it will be modern legal if you can somehow get the cards for it that morning. I might be overthinking, but one if my options is vampire tribal who should get goodies
Yes but the set releases on a Friday and the tournament I assume is the weekend.
It's CFB right? Preorder through them and pick up at the event? I know scg let you do it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I thought CFB stopped selling magic stuff?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Not quite, they're turning themselves into a tcgplayer style marketplace middleman. You won't be able to pre-order from them the day before an event like that though probably

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I guess they might have other sellers on site that I could preorder through? Or will it just be CFB? Maybe it's different from their GPs run with Wizards.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well, if they're copying tcg player then they'll also have their own warehouse like tcgplayer direct.
I think the answer is going to be that they won't be legal. Like the old days, where you had to wait until next fnm

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
From what I understand they're turning themselves into a marketplace just for LGSs and similar operations to offer singles/sealed to the public and not letting Any Old Rando sell on there. I doubt they'll be doing Direct. I don't know if this was confirmed or speculation but there's interesting potential for having a single trade-in balance across the entire network of CFB stores there.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
just lol @ every result of all 6 scg satellite events

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Oops, All Esika's and Alrund's

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Any context to those of us who don't know what specifically your talking about?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Standard Needs Bans Again!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Any context to those of us who don't know what specifically your talking about?

the winning decks for all 6 satellites played either izzet control or monogreen aggro. izzet plays alrund's epiphany while monogreen runs esika's chariot both cards have been talked about as being too OP.. arguably there are other cards but those are the two that have seen complaints
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32563&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32573&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32574&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32576&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32578&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32580&f=ST

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Well, if they're copying tcg player then they'll also have their own warehouse like tcgplayer direct.
I think the answer is going to be that they won't be legal. Like the old days, where you had to wait until next fnm

That seems reasonable, just seems unfortunate timing to have a major constructed event and a release overlap like that. Of course there's also a sealed event so swings and roundabouts.

To be fair, they would have to print and incredible one drop or a bomb rear end bomb for Sorin to cheat in for it to master, but you never know. May also impact colour choices as currently expect to be monoblack or Orzhov. Might make a case for Rakdos or even Mardu as if they use the same pattern as werewolves in Hunt there will be a core of support in the tribes main colours of RB plus pushed common, uncommon and rare of a tertiary colour (probably white, conceivably blue) and a rare each for the remaining colours.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 4, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TipTow posted:

This reminded me of Writ of Accountability, the most Decipher-est card ever printed

Wizards may have some design issues but, uh, nothing like Decipher did
Tbh i dont like just posting cards with no context like this, but i assume the proper nouns in this were common splashable cards and this is a very unsubtle counter to them?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jesus, those top eights being almost entirely two decks is pretty grim.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh i dont like just posting cards with no context like this, but i assume the proper nouns in this were common splashable cards and this is a very unsubtle counter to them?

The named cards were basically the Power 9 and this card was printed in lieu of banning them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yes. Decipher, which published the original Star Wars and Star Trek CCGs, was notorious for printing busted cards, then instead of banning them would print very specifically-targeting silver bullets that (figuratively) countered them.

This card, from Star Trek, was notorious because it just listed six specific cards and "if your opponent uses any of these they lose."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gotta say I think banning is way better than that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Decipher printed word salad like that all the time, on all sorts of cards. They loved referring to cards by name.