Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Medullah posted:

The McRib isn't made from pork. Think smaller, with more legs.

Spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
RIBWICH
https://comb.io/iXCtdR

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I would avoid buying into a Boar market.

not even boar's head butchered meats?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Brokers want McDonald’s

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I would avoid buying into a Boar market.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

If someone accidentally deposited millions of dollars into your bank account, what are the chances you would just return it? What if the person that sent it to you asked really nicely?

This is the predicament that users of the popular decentralized finance (DeFI) staking protocol Compound Labs are currently faced with. In recent days, the platform accidentally deposited arbitrary amounts of crypto into the accounts of some users. The total pay-out, which was delivered via a bug in a company update, now stands at approximately $89 million. As a result, the platform’s CEO and founder, Robert Leshner, is begging for the money back.

Leshner took to Twitter on Thursday to plead with users to return the mistakenly distributed millions, even suggesting that those who returned the funds could “keep 10%” as a reward for doing the right thing. If users don’t return the money, Leshner threatened, it would be “reported as income to the IRS, and most of you are doxxed.”

https://gizmodo.com/crypto-company-accidentally-gives-users-90-million-po-1847782215

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I always thought Krusty was referring to cockroaches with that one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that's like the one thing that will never go extinct

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh an unregulated anonymous platform is good for everoy because ...

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"well, if you keep the money I'll make sure you have to pay ~taxes~ on it and dox your accounts!"

Normal Person: "lol sure thing no problem"

Crypto Hodler: "omg!!!! yes absolutely take back all this money please"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its asking a lot, even with crypto nuts, to assume they won't figure out that uncle sam will take less than 90% of their ill-gotten gains and take that option

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes but you assume they won’t take significantly less money to own Uncle Sam

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes but you assume they won’t take significantly less money to own Uncle Sam

it's like the fairness experiment

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

evilweasel posted:

its asking a lot, even with crypto nuts, to assume they won't figure out that uncle sam will take less than 90% of their ill-gotten gains and take that option

Also like, the 10% "commission" is also taxable, so by implying they won't report you to the IRS if you only keep 10% is also tax fraud. Publicly posted on Twitter by someone who says their location is "New York".

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

pentyne posted:

"well, if you keep the money I'll make sure you have to pay ~taxes~ on it and dox your accounts!"

Normal Person: "lol sure thing no problem"

Crypto Hodler: "omg!!!! yes absolutely take back all this money please"

The average crypto hodler hates paying taxes. They will do anything to avoid realizing gains so they don’t have to actually pay taxes, because that hurts their personal number. Better to have a higher number on paper, than real usable currency with a lower number.

It’s about half of what my crypto brain worm infected coworkers talk about. Bitching about potential taxes, and the crazy defi schemes they are getting into to avoid paying taxes and grow their holdings more.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Leshner threatened, it would be “reported as income to the IRS, and most of you are doxxed.”

OH NO. A portion of the users may have to pay taxes!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of heavy crypto users generally wouldn’t like the government looking at their crypto account activities though, ‘ideals’ aside

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

The McRib isn't made from pork. Think smaller, with more legs.

Crickets?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

evilweasel posted:

But it'll put them in the next tax bracket :kingsley:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Calumanjaro posted:

But it'll put them in the next tax bracket :kingsley:

If they just declared themselves Sovereign Citizens, none of this would even be an issue.

That’s the real Bad With Money. SovCit is a salve for all of Big Government’s ailments.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What’s the quote about watches again? Something about “a Rolex means your concrete business is doing well, an Omega means your grandma is happy you graduated college”

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Found it using search:

crazypeltast52 posted:

In the archived watch thread, this popped up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718348&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post360458737

To quote a saying, "Patek is old money, Cartier is new money, Rolex means your plumbing supply business is doing well, Panerai means its your mid-life crisis, Omega means your grandmother is happy you graduated from college, and Tag means you are happy you graduated from college."

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ah yeah that’s it, thanks!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

what does Swatch mean

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

what does Swiss chocolate watch mean

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

what does Swatch mean

It means ‘well done you didn’t fall for any marketing bullshit’

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Xg1vVkIh8
First 15 seconds

Heffer
May 1, 2003

What does Casio F-91W mean?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Heffer posted:

What does Casio F-91W mean?

Enjoy your time in Gitmo

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

raminasi posted:

Cripes, what did she do to alienate everyone she had to work with professionally?

Make a decision, change your mind 2 weeks later, get annoyed that a) your service providers are doing the thing you asked them to, and not the new thing you just thought up and b) they are charging you the fees associated with what you asked for, and not what your fever dream brain thinks your new idea should cost.

Then call them up with their manager on the line to berate them for an hour about this.

Repeat for every single vendor and report, every month. Half of her team quit and one of the remainders attempted suicide. Even the water cooler guys fired us.

Losing $0.3M in warrants was really just the tip of the iceberg there.

BWM: Letting the CEO hire their personal friends for executive positions.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Decoy Badger posted:

Make a decision, change your mind 2 weeks later, get annoyed that a) your service providers are doing the thing you asked them to, and not the new thing you just thought up and b) they are charging you the fees associated with what you asked for, and not what your fever dream brain thinks your new idea should cost.

Then call them up with their manager on the line to berate them for an hour about this.

Repeat for every single vendor and report, every month. Half of her team quit and one of the remainders attempted suicide. Even the water cooler guys fired us.

Losing $0.3M in warrants was really just the tip of the iceberg there.

BWM: Letting the CEO hire their personal friends for executive positions.

:eyepop:

Never mix business and friendship imo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

85k lost, how do I maximize deductions?

OP posted:

Over the past 3 years of my horrible “investing” more like gambling trades on the stock market, i’ve amounted 85k in lost. Besides writing off 3k per year and stop trading, are there any other things i can do to hep myself like claiming single 9 on my taxes? Im not in debt and have a healthy retirement fund / emergency fund. The money i lost was all i saved over the last 4-5 years.

quote:

What the heck are you investing in? Since 2009 it's been drat near impossible to lose money in the stock market using broad market index funds/ETFs.

OP posted:

My friend introduced me to options right when I started to invest in stocks

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

“OP” posted:

My friend introduced me to options right when I started to invest in stocks

I’m not sure that’s what I’d call a friend.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Friend: Okay, here's what we do; I'll invest in these puts for the stock of this company no one's ever hear of and you invest in the corresponding calls. Either way we can't lose!

OP: Sounds great!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

rufius posted:

I’m not sure that’s what I’d call a friend.

They put themselves in tht situation.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tater_salad posted:

They put themselves in tht situation.

I mean I’m not saying they’re innocent in this. But like, I would not suggest to a friend they get involved with Options in the same way I wouldn’t suggest a friend start heroin. Like people should make their own decisions but you don’t have to endorse risky behavior without communicating the downsides.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

rufius posted:

I mean I’m not saying they’re innocent in this. But like, I would not suggest to a friend they get involved with Options in the same way I wouldn’t suggest a friend start heroin. Like people should make their own decisions but you don’t have to endorse risky behavior without communicating the downsides.

Can you lose your life savings faster with a heroin habit or by trading options? The BWM News Team investigates, tonight at 10.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was just making a pun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1444798616971907080

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is how I imagine it working for all the buttcoiners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I miss the days of random idiots cooking themselves to death in their tiny room filled with 100 GPUs powered by stolen electricity

Now it's governments doing it