Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so like right now its an ipad mini as the wifi head. its fine but having to go over and launch spotify manually on the ipad is annoying and leaving an ipad out during a party is asking to get beer on it and for somebody to gently caress up the playlist.

the old appletv i have was a candidate but my partners on android and its not a “it just works” situation for her.

i already have bluetooth covered with multiple “good” portable speakers. i really just want the least amount of technology possible with the least amount of clutter/converters and its wild to me that nobody makes a white label cca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I think I know what would do the trick nicely for you. It's a little pricy but I guess the DAC in it sounds nice and it handles Bluetooth, NAS, Spotify/Tidal/Amazon Music/etc. All in one box.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODEWH/Bluesound-NODE-White.html?tp=63339

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Casual Encountess posted:

so like right now its an ipad mini as the wifi head. its fine but having to go over and launch spotify manually on the ipad is annoying and leaving an ipad out during a party is asking to get beer on it and for somebody to gently caress up the playlist.

the old appletv i have was a candidate but my partners on android and its not a “it just works” situation for her.

i already have bluetooth covered with multiple “good” portable speakers. i really just want the least amount of technology possible with the least amount of clutter/converters and its wild to me that nobody makes a white label cca

Just get a simple Bluetooth dongle then, but like one of the good ones.

But like at the end of the day, if you only get one *thing* how badly are you entering the ecosystem? I share a similar aversion to getting SONOS poo poo and getting sucked into that kind of non-intercompatibility, etc. But also you could (admittedly spend a bunch of money) and get a SONOS dongle and it would probably give everybody the easiest time using it with the nicest interface and “it just works”, etc. with a minimum of headache and time spent. And maybe having the option to add extra speakers around the house that all work at the same time and play party music appeals to you and is worth the cost of entry and gEtTiNG inTO tHe EcOSysTEm.

It sucks because poo poo dies and companies die and go out of business and change their business models and leave users who just want to use the poo poo they own and plug it in eating poo poo, but it’s not like an outdated Bluetooth or WIFi receiver is gonna be that much better at lasting in the way that my receiver from 1978 has lasted. At the end of the day it’s all e-waste.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Oh, I think I know what would do the trick nicely for you. It's a little pricy but I guess the DAC in it sounds nice and it handles Bluetooth, NAS, Spotify/Tidal/Amazon Music/etc. All in one box.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODEWH/Bluesound-NODE-White.html?tp=63339

I mean, that’s what I would probably buy if I had “homeowner” money. But I post in this thread.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Christ dude just search amazon for spotify streamer. There are a lot of options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077NC44SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9DKCZ5GX9ZCTFYGXANZB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TG9L22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JRCS2ZNY1DRSSW04B7TS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WF95GCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D3K3AR1SP26Y747B09KR

Budget option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHPS9G1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NQFX907AE5KM6AT5EPPQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

is this sarcasm?

OP specifically asked for something that would let them keep their existing receiver, not “recommend me some receivers with networking built-in”

Edit: I take it back these are all preamps/players. But also drat they’re expensive (and big!)

Edit 2: Some of these are overpriced bc Amazon seller, but regardless—why would you get any of these instead of a Bluesound? Bluesound Node is cheaper and will mesh/multi and will BT to your headphones, and it’s cheaper.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 3, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

no poo poo dude i can search amazon. i came into this thread reasonably expecting some firsthand experience on this fairly common use case because the options, like always, are overwhelming.

dont be an rear end in a top hat.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

no poo poo dude i can search amazon. i came into this thread reasonably expecting some firsthand experience on this fairly common use case because the options, like always, are overwhelming.

dont be an rear end in a top hat.

People have given options and you still keep moving goalposts and changing what you want. Get some sort of bluetooth dongle or a cheap wifi streamer. If you want something higher end then try to be a bit more specific.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
imagine the sort of loving moron who drops $1600 on a network streamer because he searched Amazon instead of asking some goony goons who live for this poo poo for like a modicum of advice

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine the sort of loving moron who drops $1600 on a network streamer because he searched Amazon instead of asking some goony goons who live for this poo poo for like a modicum of advice

Searching amazon for spotify streamer brings up all sorts of “white label” chromecast alternatives for <$100, just like he was looking for.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just get the Bluesound Node if you're rich and want an easy way to solve your problem, or some of the other cheaper but more limited options other people posted upthread :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Searching amazon for spotify streamer brings up all sorts of “white label” chromecast alternatives for <$100, just like he was looking for.

yeah but like half of those are poo poo?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but like half of those are poo poo?

Yeah and people posted the non poo poo options above and he said “no not those”

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I've been in the same boat, we use Google home/nest speakers/cameras/smoke detectors etc etc and I'd love to be able to say "ok Google Play X on the livingroom stereo". After researching a bunch the easiest way is going to still be paying $ripoff$ for a used CCA.

Right now I leave my surface plugged into my amp's USB input with Spotify/Amazon HD music open and can control it with my phone. There might be a solution that lets a RPi hook into the Google home API but I haven't come across a simple one yet. I try to avoid Bluetooth.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I might ask for a blue sound node for Christmas but it's probably not what the guy looking for a replacement for a $20 CCA wants. Although looking into it it doesn't look like it works with simple Google home commands...

lol gently caress off

large hands fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 3, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yes and a lot of them look like garbage which is why i came here to ask

People have given options and you still keep moving goalposts and changing what you want. Get some sort of bluetooth dongle or a cheap wifi streamer. If you want something higher end then try to be a bit more specific.

lmao no my original query still stands

whats the best alternative to chromecast audio for a wifi or ethernet dongle to play spotify on the nice speakers when im hammered and dont want to change records? i really just need spotify

im just curious how you thought $1500 boxes were totally reasonable midmarket replacements for a chromecast audio

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

yes and a lot of them look like garbage which is why i came here to ask

lmao no my original query still stands

im just curious how you thought $1500 boxes were totally reasonable midmarket replacements for a chromecast audio

I gave you a budget option.

E: besides a Chromecast Audio has a 3.5mm jack and not hdmi like a chromecast. There’s your best option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The most I would spend is $549 for Bluesound Node or $449 for SONOS Port

Like at the point where you’re spending $1500 for balanced outs, you probably have a balanced DAC (that can probably also stream) or a nice enough receiver with an internal DAC and you can just TOSlink/Coax in from one of these suckers instead of using RCA

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

DoesNotCompute posted:

Lol I'm a grad student and that's the living room of a mini home. Everything in the picture was either used or broken when I got it and I built the furniture, hell it's a 48" TV, we had to special order it because no one wants ones that small. Like I'm not saying I'm poor, and I clearly prioritize some hobbies, but rich is a stretch.

Lol, not you

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
those floor standys are sick

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

you strike it rich dimey? what's your dream system purchase gonna be

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands posted:

I've been in the same boat, we use Google home/nest speakers/cameras/smoke detectors etc etc and I'd love to be able to say "ok Google Play X on the livingroom stereo". After researching a bunch the easiest way is going to still be paying $ripoff$ for a used CCA.

Right now I leave my surface plugged into my amp's USB input with Spotify/Amazon HD music open and can control it with my phone. There might be a solution that lets a RPi hook into the Google home API but I haven't come across a simple one yet. I try to avoid Bluetooth.

look at this guy

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands posted:

nah just got a sweet deal on some speakers, making me lean back

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
love having google watch me poop

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands posted:

for ref, my current (heh) amp is a jvc a-x3 and the aforementioned speakers are definitive sm-55 monitors. this is as hifi as I will need for a good time

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

nah just got a sweet deal on some speakers, making me lean back

post em

Ok Comboomer posted:

love having google watch me poop

personally I'm waiting for the Nest bidet, but bringing my phone into the can will have to do for now on that front

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
CC audio was truly a great little device at an insanely cheap price point. My only issue is that it streamed Spotify at a lower bitrate than my home theater amp that has Spotify Connect (I also tried Tidal Hifi on CC Audio and that sounded much better but I just didn't like the interface and having to start over after using Spotify for years), hoping that the eventual (never releasing) upgrade to CD quality finally ends up fixing that.

Anyway, I spent time looking for an additional network streamer and and the cheapest and closest I got to what I wanted was from Arylic. Check out the S10, looks to be $80 and requires that you use their app but it should allow you to stream Spotify. Ultimately I didn't end up buying the bigger brother since I wanted to just use the native Spotify app. https://www.arylic.com/products/s10-wireless-preamplifier

Edit: I was wrong, the S10 has Spotify Connect so you can stream directly from the native Spotify app.

Animale fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 3, 2021

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Simply amazing...

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands posted:

Simply amazing...

never compromise

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Crime on a Dime posted:

those floor standys are sick

Bless you, I bought them from a Danish truck driver in a Burger King parking lot for $100 and thought he was full of poo poo when he told me spent 1500 euros on them, then googled the company and was like "oh he did."

Oh and Casual Encountess, I would look for a used Node 1 or 2, the 2i doesn't really add much and the new Node (no number? great naming scheme) is needlessly expensive new for just adding eARC HDMI. I bought the 2i used because I used to use an airport express but wanted to be able to stream from android.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's purrfect

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DoesNotCompute posted:

Bless you, I bought them from a Danish truck driver in a Burger King parking lot for $100 and thought he was full of poo poo when he told me spent 1500 euros on them, then googled the company and was like "oh he did."

A white van speaker man story ending well is like the premise of the Nigerian prince out there trying to share his fortune but constantly ignored. Congrats on finding the one actual legit deal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

A white van speaker man story ending well is like the premise of the Nigerian prince out there trying to share his fortune but constantly ignored. Congrats on finding the one actual legit deal.

it’s a real “Brian Wheat” scenario, yes (happy 20th Achewood!)

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

For years I was convinced that this scam was basically an urban legend, or had happened in a few isolated cases and blown way out of proportion, but then it happened to me. This was almost 20 years ago. I was walking through the parking lot of my job at a major retailer after lunch and had a literal white van pull up in front of me, open up the back doors, and two guys tried to sell me some speakers. I knew better and politely declined. When I went back inside and told the story to one of the other managers, he replied, "those speakers are hotter than my lunch." That was almost certainly not true but it made me wonder: if I didn't know about the scam ahead of time, wouldn't that be the first thought that ran through my head? If the deal seemed to good to be true, wouldn't you assume that the speakers had "fallen off the truck"? And did I look like the kind of person who would fork over hundreds of dollars in cash for stolen speakers? The whole scenario always raised many more questions than it answered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah someone tried it on us in the UK about 20 years ago when we were students. Can’t remember if we knew about it or looked it up afterwards. Poverty was probably on our side as it was around the time we were building the loudest things our pennies could buy. A friend a few years later did end up with a set of them, about as good as the stories said.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

Finally got everything set up at my girlfriend's place. The Heresys were too big for the space so took over some Chario speakers instead. They're such a weird and neat speaker, looks like a normal two way tower but has a ported (I think transmission line?) downfiring 5 1/4" long throw woofer that uses up the bottom half of the tower volume.

I saw your post on Reddit, and also we have the same preamp!

Looking good, looking good. My girlfriend also approved.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I saw your post on Reddit, and also we have the same preamp!

Looking good, looking good. My girlfriend also approved.

Thank you! And the C712 is absolutely the hidden gem of McIntosh preamps in my opinion, remote, balanced outs, variable loudness, no goofy A/V poo poo and most importantly **volume knob moves when using the remote**.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

Thank you! And the C712 is absolutely the hidden gem of McIntosh preamps in my opinion, remote, balanced outs, variable loudness, no goofy A/V poo poo and most importantly **volume knob moves when using the remote**.

I agree, the downside is that I don't like the way the matching amplifiers look, especially the ones that have the word DIGITAL on there. I was hemming and hawing between my options (mc2100, mc2105, mc2125, whatever the ugly contemporaries of the C712 are, and maybe a couple others) until I showed pictures of them all to my girlfriend and she said she liked the way the mc2100 looked the best. No meters, but awesome classic design and a "bargain" at "only" $900. Same price I paid for the c712 I think, give or take a few doll hairs.

Now to take my friend up on the offer to build some custom furniture to fit it all. It's weird reaching endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I agree, the downside is that I don't like the way the matching amplifiers look, especially the ones that have the word DIGITAL on there. I was hemming and hawing between my options (mc2100, mc2105, mc2125, whatever the ugly contemporaries of the C712 are, and maybe a couple others) until I showed pictures of them all to my girlfriend and she said she liked the way the mc2100 looked the best. No meters, but awesome classic design and a "bargain" at "only" $900. Same price I paid for the c712 I think, give or take a few doll hairs.

Now to take my friend up on the offer to build some custom furniture to fit it all. It's weird reaching endgame.

Yeah the contemporary power amplifiers were kinda hit or miss, I've been keeping my eye out for MC150 and don't hate the idea of a pair of 7100's bridged to mono. I need more power amps like I need a hole in the head but there's something about things matching. Hell I almost bought a 7106 last month to run my active two ways that need four channels of amplification but talked myself out of it.